PDA

View Full Version : Suttons BS Paint protection programme

Cool Daddy
21-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I bought my 08 Model HSV and payed for paint protection to my car through Suttons Rosebery who at that time claimed that this paint protection programme covered everything from paint chips to fading paint.I also bought an SSV without paint protection at the same time.
Well a year and a half later I cannot help but notice paint chips in lots of places on the HSV wheras on the SSV absolutely no paint chips,both cars have been driven by me and Ive been careful in that time so why is the HSV showing more paint damage with the paint protection as opposed to the SSV with no paint chips?Even covering the car has managed to remove paint on the spoiler.
Iam questioning if the car actually received the paint protection in the first place,I know I payed for it ( overpriced service ) so I would like to believe that Iam covered for something.
Do I take the car back to Suttons or am I just wasting my time?

Covert
21-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Read the documents that came with the protection package and see if you meet the guarantee criteria. Some stipulate re-application after 12 months and things like that.

If you've seen what's involved in applying this magical 'Paint protection' you would see that there isn't going to be any physical protection from stone chips and the like. It's just an insurance policy that most people can never use.

The other downside is you paid $1000 to listen to some woman with big cans read you something from a brochure that she knows nothing about.

RED R8
21-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I bought my 08 Model HSV and payed for paint protection to my car through Suttons Rosebery who at that time claimed that this paint protection programme covered everything from paint chips to fading paint.I also bought an SSV without paint protection at the same time.
Well a year and a half later I cannot help but notice paint chips in lots of places on the HSV wheras on the SSV absolutely no paint chips,both cars have been driven by me and Ive been careful in that time so why is the HSV showing more paint damage with the paint protection as opposed to the SSV with no paint chips?Even covering the car has managed to remove paint on the spoiler.
Iam questioning if the car actually received the paint protection in the first place,I know I payed for it ( overpriced service ) so I would like to believe that Iam covered for something.
Do I take the car back to Suttons or am I just wasting my time?

I sold paint protection packages etc over a few years in the car yards and it is nothing more than a decent polish/wax it will do nothing to prevent stone chips and reduce fading about as well as most good polishes/wax's will...

Wonky
22-11-2009, 12:20 AM
If you do a search on "paint protection" on here you will unfortunately find it's nothing more than a way to improve bottom line profit by grossly overcharging for a decent polish, usually sold by an attractive young lady. :nyuk:

In your case it unfortunately seems to have had a negative effect given the two cars you have for comparison purposes, so I'd be going through their paperwork with a fine tooth comb to see if you have a leg to stand on. Don't like your chances but good luck with it!

Glenn@Autowerks
22-11-2009, 05:07 AM
If you do a search on "paint protection" on here you will unfortunately find it's nothing more than a way to improve bottom line profit by grossly overcharging for a decent polish, usually sold by an attractive young lady. :nyuk:

Same as the window tint deal, they charge like $450 and tell you how good it is. Speak to the actual tinter and he gets paid $150 - not bad markup (but car dealers dont rip you off)

Haroc
22-11-2009, 06:25 AM
They tried pretty hard to push paint protection onto me, I said ill take it if its free :P
In the end I got my tint/interior protection refunded to me. Paint protection is a load of wank..

UTESRULE
22-11-2009, 07:04 AM
as soon as they offer to u just walk away its the biggest rip off ever but thats dealers thats all they do anyway

Ausmartin1
22-11-2009, 07:13 AM
"The other downside is you paid $1000 to listen to some woman with big cans read you something from a brochure that she knows nothing about.

Too right every dealerships got there "ming" blonde bimbo with big cans ...
Once you buy the car some people relax..... - Big mistake :rofl:
Buy a bottle of Meguars car poish and doe it at least once a year.

Other things they offer are:
Underbody protection
(On a Australia built holden to be use used in Australia - a complete waste of time)
Interior Scotch guard or similar
(Buy a couple of cans and do it yourself - avoid plastics for a small fraction)
Window tinting.
Organise it yourself for less than 1/2 price or more ....

Yes those cans can hipnotise some :)

planetdavo
22-11-2009, 11:53 AM
This question pops up at least once every year.
A search on the subject will show up the same complaints every time it comes up. Doesn't matter where you go.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Your paint chip issues are more likely caused by differences between Holden's Adelaide painted regular bars, and HSV's Melbourne painted bars.
As to whether your policy covers chips, like any contract, it's all in the fine print.

whitels1ss
22-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Too right every dealerships got there "ming" blonde bimbo with big cans ...
Yes those cans can hipnotise some :)

Beware, she is called the "Ming M0le" in the trade and she often makes more profit out of the carp she sells than the dealer makes out of selling the car!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

dallascowboy
22-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Beware, she is called the "Ming M0le" in the trade and she often makes more profit out of the carp she sells than the dealer makes out of selling the car!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

exactly! i used to tint for tint a car and the car dealerships mark up the price so much and the "ming moles" get bonuses for everything they sell and more if they beat their quota for the month....their big cans are very distracting though....do it your self people!

cheers Dallas

Shulkor
22-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Same as the window tint deal, they charge like $450 and tell you how good it is. Speak to the actual tinter and he gets paid $150 - not bad markup (but car dealers dont rip you off)

I forgot tint last time i ordered a new car till the last min then just before i signed said hey you going to throw in some free tint with that worked a treat going to do it every time now i'm sure they wont throw a deal that's going to be signed in seconds over some tint.

Dam ming moles with the big cans they got me on one car :) never again!

HSVREDSLED
23-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Yep I got done too...once.

I got led through to this room by the salesperson and there she was. :nyuk::nyuk:

She started almost drooling over my car telling he how hot they were and she wished she could get one. I signed up for the whole deal.

:slap::doh:

nang3
23-11-2009, 02:58 PM
ROFL the power of the furry lassoo strikes again !!! amazin what we will do or agree to pay for or say in the presence of spectacular cans and/or minge!

DaveHAT
23-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Yep I got done too...once.

I got led through to this room by the salesperson and there she was. :nyuk::nyuk:

She started almost drooling over my car telling he how hot they were and she wished she could get one. I signed up for the whole deal.

:slap::doh:

:lol: :fishing: ... hook, line and :girl:

planetdavo
23-11-2009, 05:43 PM
People are certainly more receptive to the upsell when it's "explained" how much these products will look after the shiny new beast you are all excited about, and have just committed many thousands of dollars toward.

Knawful
23-11-2009, 09:58 PM
+1 for sucked in by chest puppiy toting blond..Never again!! :soap:

....I will "listen" to her spiel (a couple of times) on the next car, before declining though!! :jester:

dmar
24-11-2009, 10:28 AM
:worthless:

...of the ming moles

souls1
24-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I had the same issue with my last car
If I come across one after I sell my car and get a new one I will get pics for you all

cnnonyx
24-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Thank goodness the person who wanted to sell me the 'paint protection' and all that jazz, was a hairy bloke.

I just said no (it took about 4 or 5 'NO' responses - he even tried to bargain it down a few times).

Admiteddly, I was sucker punched by a honey-like woman on a previous new car purchase. Never again. The SSV had no silly enhancements :) I learnt from my mistakes!

retch
25-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I had a looker putting the heavies on me when I bought the SP23. I said no thanks but she kept on going so I said no thanks so then she pulled the old trick of 'I will go and ask the dealer Principle if he will lower the price'

I just kept on saying no so she gave up.

Two things - it soured what was otherwise a good experience at a Mazda dealer.

And why would Mazda spend millions of yen making a car only to have a customer spend there own $$$ after the sale to get the paint protected and the underbody coated.

Rick76
25-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Always get tint arranged as part of the deal before you sign (even the cheapest stuff looks good these days and comes with decent warranty) then make it very clear you are not interested in any after care stuff. This applies to new or second hand cars.

My last one I didn't have to speak to them at all by doing this and the one before the salesman said he had to introduce me to her but made it clear to her I wasn't interested so I got no sales talk or hassle at all. She just said hi and sorry she couldn't assist me (rip me off).