PDA

View Full Version : OBD2 Diagnostics on the cheap with Android

Pages : [1] 2

Stewge
28-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I noticed there was a thread a while back about OBD on iPhones, given that Android phones are getting more popular I thought I'd chime in with this.

There is a program (app) for Android I've been using called "Torque". It's free and is fully capable of reading error codes and descriptions. As well as this it'll display any information it gathers from various sensors in virtual gauges/graphs/readouts. Also comes with a handy logging function which can be emailed later (very handy for drag runs/timed circuits and the like).

Only downside is it seriously chews phone battery life :confused:

Combine this (or similar app) with a cheap bluetooth OBD interface from ebay for ~$15-$20 and you've got yourself cheapest OBD scan tool ever :rofl:

On a sidenote, I'll hopefully be using a similar system in my CarPC to display the info via the main indash screen or possibly via a small LCD gauge so I can flick through the various readouts without having a dozen separate gauges clogging up my dash :p

daskip
28-01-2011, 11:58 AM
there is two versions

Free with Ads
or
$4.74 with no ad

Stewge
28-01-2011, 12:10 PM
there is two versions

Free with Ads
or
$4.74 with no ad
^^Correct
One just has an adbar at the bottom, the other doesn't.
I'm also working on some kind of way of displaying the logged data. It can be graphed in excel but a web interface would be handy (combined with GPS data on google maps or something).

Dan_
28-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I've got an OBD scantool in my GPS. Displays everything on my GPS screen. Its so epically cool lol

daskip
28-01-2011, 12:26 PM
whats the best/compatible Bluetooth OBD device for this?

Stewge
28-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Any ELM237 cabable Bluetooth adaptor should work. The ebay ones are a bit of a gamble apparently (some people have received dead ones). That being said I've ordered 2 and both worked fine.

Both ScanTool.net and OBDKey sell high quality ones which also have PC software and a USB cable for PC. They cost anywhere up to $100 though. I figure for $15 the ebay one is worth the gamble. They take AGES to arrive though since they're coming from china :(

I've got 2 of the bright blue ones with "EOBD/OBD" printed on them and they work fine.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, for those of you who fix your own cars, you can clear error codes if it has found them rather than having to get a mech to do it ;)

swingtan
28-01-2011, 12:53 PM
A few tips for those delving in to this.....

LS1 powered cars use the ISO J1850 VPW bus protocol, which is usually supported by the ODBII dongles.
Post LS1 (late VZ and on) use the ISO 15765-4 CAN bus protocol. This is not always supported (though is more common now ) so make sure you check the specs.
The data for generic PID (Parameter IDentification) data is usually fairly generic across most cars, so general information should be easy to obtain.
The data for specific PID's is dependent directly on the OS inside the PCM/ECM and requires specific code to get the data. This is not always supported and in cases like the "ODBII Scan Gauge" used by a few here, may not work ever. It's known that custom tunes performed by the HPT suite caused a few of these gauges to stop reporting certain PID data.

Keeping that in mind, this looks like a pretty cheap way to delve into the logging scene. Add a car charger for your phone and you're set.

Simon.

daskip
28-01-2011, 01:22 PM
i already got the window suction kit and car charger for my galaxy S so this could be quite nice :)

macca_779
28-01-2011, 01:38 PM
A few tips for those delving in to this.....

LS1 powered cars use the ISO J1850 VPW bus protocol, which is usually supported by the ODBII dongles.
Post LS1 (late VZ and on) use the ISO 15765-4 CAN bus protocol. This is not always supported (though is more common now ) so make sure you check the specs.
The data for generic PID (Parameter IDentification) data is usually fairly generic across most cars, so general information should be easy to obtain.
The data for specific PID's is dependent directly on the OS inside the PCM/ECM and requires specific code to get the data. This is not always supported and in cases like the "ODBII Scan Gauge" used by a few here, may not work ever. It's known that custom tunes performed by the HPT suite caused a few of these gauges to stop reporting certain PID data.

Keeping that in mind, this looks like a pretty cheap way to delve into the logging scene. Add a car charger for your phone and you're set.

Simon.

I've got the iPhone one. Quite handy when I don't have my V2 on me.. O and it charges my phone to which even freeing up the AUX 12v for other things is handy too.

maka5
28-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Got a htc desire... in process of getting the app... which bluetooth obd should i get... paste link please...

kevin101
09-09-2011, 05:42 PM
I just got my blue tooth dongle in the mail today havn't had a chance to test it with my HTC Desire HD, I'll post back later on if I get a chance. Hope it works have a few fault codes I'm trying to fix myself.

aratic
09-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Also seen this app when I was in the marketplace and looks interesting. Might have to invest in an OBD2 bluetooth adaptor.

sv300 - 75
09-09-2011, 06:56 PM
i just purchased my OBD2 sensor off ebay and downloaded the app.
im pumped to see how this works

Stewge
09-09-2011, 10:30 PM
i just purchased my OBD2 sensor off ebay and downloaded the app.
im pumped to see how this works

Torque (the app) has actually changed a lot since I originally posted this. It now has separate modes for guages/error codes/adapter status/map overlay etc.

It's now got a new plugin system as well. Although there's only 2 plugins currently they're both pretty mad. First is a graphing mode, which can create stuff similar to dyno charts or quick graphs so you can record figures relative to each other. Second is called track recorder. I've literally only just discovered it tonight, but it lets you take video and overlay OBD data so you can get race-recording style video for track-days/drags/spirited drives to the shops:rofl:

The track-recorder seems to be pretty new and the OBD data isn't in cool gauges yet or anything, but it definitely seems to be improving :D

aratic
21-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Received my adaptor today, cant wait to have a play around with this app tonight.

If anyone is interested, I bought the following and it arrived from the states in 6 working days

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170679448301?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

KIWIV8
21-09-2011, 12:09 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310338138443?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I brought this one. Very cheap but appears to work well so far.

toey
22-09-2011, 08:00 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310338138443?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

i just bought the same one and it doesnt seem to work :( damn hit n miss chinese stuff

FITZY777
22-09-2011, 11:02 AM
i just bought the same one and it doesnt seem to work :( damn hit n miss chinese stuff

Did you use the passcode 6789 to pair it ?

Don't forget to unplug the device when not using it as it draws power constantly.

Cheers

Fitzy

I bought mine here - https://www.dealextreme.com/p/obdii-bluetooth-car-diagnostic-cable-black-blue-orange-dc-12v-42825

aratic
22-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I had trouble getting mine connected but once I changed a few settings it could read the ECU. When you search for bluetooth devices on your phone is it finding the connector? If it isnt then thats a good sign the connector is at fault.

Had a play around with it last night. Seems ok, not as many parameters as I was expecting/hoping, but does the basics.

Noticed that the fuel consumption/mileage isnt working correctly and the HP figures seem miles off. Do these work properly for everyone else?

jsme
22-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Where can these bluetooth dongles be purchased from a walk in shop?

kevin101
22-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Where can these bluetooth dongles be purchased from a walk in shop?

I think you would need to do some ringing around I havn't seen or heard of anyone selling them around town, I bought mine from the US since I was told the Chinese ones where "rip offs" from the US ones. it was about $15 more but it came in 6 days and worked straight away no messing around etc.

benniemc
22-09-2011, 01:27 PM
I've got an OBD scantool in my GPS. Displays everything on my GPS screen. Its so epically cool lol

What GPS is this? I've been thinking about getting a GPS for ages and if I can combine it with a scantool that would be awesome!

Stewge
22-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I had trouble getting mine connected but once I changed a few settings it could read the ECU. When you search for bluetooth devices on your phone is it finding the connector? If it isnt then thats a good sign the connector is at fault.

Had a play around with it last night. Seems ok, not as many parameters as I was expecting/hoping, but does the basics.

Noticed that the fuel consumption/mileage isnt working correctly and the HP figures seem miles off. Do these work properly for everyone else?

If you're using Torque did you set the car weight, displacement and rev limit? HP and fuel consumption are all calculated from those values and I think, for one, displacement defaults to 2.0L which means a big V8 will be miles off.

I've found the fuel consumption figures to be pretty accurate when I've used it (as far as instant usage and trip average usage). Remember it doesn't learn fuel consumption and can't calculate the average over as long a period of time as the car built-in system can.

What GPS is this? I've been thinking about getting a GPS for ages and if I can combine it with a scantool that would be awesome!

You could always go the other way, get a phone with a big screen, GPS software and loaded with OBD software as well and you end up at the same point :)
Might be able to sneak a smallish Android tablet into that as well. Ideally something like a 5-6inch android tablet with bluetooth would be awesome.

VYR8HSV
22-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Is there an App for an iPhone 4 ??
I had a look thru the store & only found apps that
tell you what code fault there is..

Cheers

macca_779
22-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Is there an App for an iPhone 4 ??
I had a look thru the store & only found apps that
tell you what code fault there is..

Cheers

I use dash command

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

aratic
22-09-2011, 02:40 PM
If you're using Torque did you set the car weight, displacement and rev limit? HP and fuel consumption are all calculated from those values and I think, for one, displacement defaults to 2.0L which means a big V8 will be miles off.

I've found the fuel consumption figures to be pretty accurate when I've used it (as far as instant usage and trip average usage). Remember it doesn't learn fuel consumption and can't calculate the average over as long a period of time as the car built-in system can

OK good to know. What about HP?
But I've correctly set up the vehicle profile, Ill have a better look at it over the weekend

Stewge
22-09-2011, 03:01 PM
OK good to know. What about HP?
But I've correctly set up the vehicle profile, Ill have a better look at it over the weekend

Have a look here:
http://www.ajdesigner.com/phphorsepower/horsepower_equation_trap_speed_method_horsepower.p hp

I believe Torque uses a similar calculation. So if you aren't doing a quarter-mile run flat stick it's not going to be anywhere near accurate...lol

That being said, taking what I can find (looking at other peoples' times and end speeds and plugging it into that website, 1654kg (VZ clubby weight) with a end speed of 106mph returns 252kw which I'd hazard a guess at saying would likely be in the ballpark of a stock VZ clubby power at the wheels. Up the end speed to 112mph you get ~300rwkw which seems to make sense.

aratic
22-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Ah makes sense, cheers. Guess I'll never find out what this thing thinks my HP is then :1peek:

Had a look tonight, fuel usage is still waay out for some reason. Thinking it could be a faulty adaptor. I dont understand how it wouldnt be working, it works on the dash fine

WozstockgenIII
23-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Ah makes sense, cheers. Guess I'll never find out what this thing thinks my HP is then :1peek:

Had a look tonight, fuel usage is still waay out for some reason. Thinking it could be a faulty adaptor. I dont understand how it wouldnt be working, it works on the dash fine

I found my hp/fuel consumption fiqures went way off after mafless tune. maybe the MAF reading is used in a calculation somewhere.

VT_SS_II
23-09-2011, 08:57 PM

I've got one of these too using Torque on an Asus Eee Transformer. It seems to display all the parameters my Aeroforce scanguage does except for Voltage (battery). Can you get
voltage on yours?

I've only tried the free version of torque so far.

VT_SS_II
23-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Did you use the passcode 6789 to pair it ?

Don't forget to unplug the device when not using it as it draws power constantly.

Cheers

Fitzy

I bought mine here - https://www.dealextreme.com/p/obdii-bluetooth-car-diagnostic-cable-black-blue-orange-dc-12v-42825

I used 1234 to pair mine.

chocco
23-09-2011, 09:06 PM

1234 for mine as well, which I got today.

Worked a treat on the Mazda, tried it quickly when I got home on the VZ read the tranny temp and coolant temp, etc etc, but then I got a a message on the dash " Service Vehicle Reminder", WTH, 84K on the clock.

Will have more of a play after I put the tranny cooler on.

FITZY777
23-09-2011, 09:47 PM

1234 for mine as well, which I got today.

Worked a treat on the Mazda, tried it quickly when I got home on the VZ read the tranny temp and coolant temp, etc etc, but then I got a a message on the dash " Service Vehicle Reminder", WTH, 84K on the clock.

Will have more of a play after I put the tranny cooler on.

Did you buy it from the same site I linked too ?

Maybe 6789 is Chinese for 1234 ?? I 'm not sure, I don't speak Chinese !

vr5speedv6
24-09-2011, 08:19 AM
I've got one of these too using Torque on an Asus Eee Transformer. It seems to display all the parameters my Aeroforce scanguage does except for Voltage (battery). Can you get
voltage on yours?

I've only tried the free version of torque so far.

Torque doesn't show oil pressure either, which was the main parameter I was after!

aratic
24-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I found my hp/fuel consumption fiqures went way off after mafless tune. maybe the MAF reading is used in a calculation somewhere.

Good point... Aparently it calculates fuel usage based on air going in. Although you can change the setting which gets this from the MAP instead of the MAF. In saying that though, I dont think my instake pressure readings are correct, so thats most likely the problem :vpo:

chocco
24-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Get the full version there are more PID's available, mine displays voltage.

The adapter I got is this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220730275713?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

aratic
24-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Extra parameters for GM specific vehicles can be found in the following

Menu->Settings->Manage extra PIDs/Sensors->Menu->Add predefined set->GM

Includes transmission temp, shift times etc etc

RB30X
24-09-2011, 02:09 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220730275713?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Excuse my dumbness, but you buy this adaptor, and buy Dash Commander from the app store on your iphone, and the adaptor lets your engine talk to you phone? And so can send data files via email from your phone to be viewed on a PC.. Is this correct.

Is there also a hard wired cable adaptor so you can charge your iphone off the cars battery etc like some have mentioned as apposed to a blue tooth device. And would such a cable go from the OBD2 straight to the iphone or would it be a OBD2 to usb/usb connector to iphone etc?

cheers

chocco
24-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Excuse my dumbness, but you buy this adaptor, and buy Dash Commander from the app store on your iphone, and the adaptor lets your engine talk to you phone? And so can send data files via email from your phone to be viewed on a PC.. Is this correct.

Is there also a hard wired cable adaptor so you can charge your iphone off the cars battery etc like some have mentioned as apposed to a blue tooth device. And would such a cable go from the OBD2 straight to the iphone or would it be a OBD2 to usb/usb connector to iphone etc?

cheers

Don't know about iphones and ipads, I am a Android type of guy !!!

Soopy
24-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Don't know about iphones and ipads, I am a Android type of guy !!!

In other words you don't like dick :P

chocco
24-09-2011, 03:11 PM
In other words you don't like dick :P

..................:lmao:

VT_SS_II
24-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Extra parameters for GM specific vehicles can be found in the following

Menu->Settings->Manage extra PIDs/Sensors->Menu->Add predefined set->GM

Includes transmission temp, shift times etc etc

Thanks for that. I've purchased the full version now so will give it a go tomorrow.

chocco
24-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Check out my ride, had a play with my obd today.

Wasnt a pleasant experience.

aratic
25-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Torque doesn't show oil pressure either, which was the main parameter I was after!

I think the app is still a work in progress and there will be lots of features added in time with updates. You can email the creator of it on ian@prowl.org with any requests you have. I have emailed asking for oil pressure to be added

Soopy
25-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Ive found that torque lacks the reaction time and resolution to be usefull. Its a nice gadget but useless for anything other then codes.

Stewge
25-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Ive found that torque lacks the reaction time and resolution to be usefull. Its a nice gadget but useless for anything other then codes.

OBD was never intended to be a fast protocol for transporting real-time gauges. That being said, there is a setting you can tick in Torque to speed up the update rate with some dongles, haven't tried it with mine though as it can apparently stress the OBD connection a little.

chocco
25-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I have spent the last couple of hours friggin around with the Bluetooth Adapetr and Torque and I have worked out the strange things that are happening.

1) Service Vehicle Reminder - Whenever the OBD adapter starts running errors, this is when the SVR comes up on the dash.

2) Idle/liters per hour increase - After reseting the PCM and with the OBD connected the idle is now stable. What I think it was is that I have a VY11 snorkel air box and I fiited the original air inlet back on making it a 2 hole mod but hadn't driven the car or started it since, maybe it was taking in to much air and had to re-learn.

Soopy
25-09-2011, 04:45 PM
OBD was never intended to be a fast protocol for transporting real-time gauges. That being said, there is a setting you can tick in Torque to speed up the update rate with some dongles, haven't tried it with mine though as it can apparently stress the OBD connection a little.

Thats weird, My EFIlive scan tool is spot on...

macca_779
25-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Thats weird, My EFIlive scan tool is spot on...

Mine to. Obd isn't the limitation. Poor scanning software is.

Soopy
25-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Mine to. Obd isn't the limitation. Poor scanning software is.

That and devices with the computing power of mid 90's PC...

kevin101
26-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Can't seem to get the torque / HP figures to work, they don't even give a reading.
I've set up the profile and set the extra parameters, still nothing.

Stewge
26-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Can't seem to get the torque / HP figures to work, they don't even give a reading.
I've set up the profile and set the extra parameters, still nothing.

HP is calculated from the quarter-mile time. Do you have a recorded 1/4 mile time in one of the dials? (you can add it if you don't)

Rechecked mine on the lag thing and there is a slight delay on my Desire in the region of about 150-200ms. The "Faster Communication" option does speed things up a bit but on mine causes some serious battery drain. Already I need to use a high-current 12V charger in the car to keep up and it barely charges while using Torque. You also have to remember USB scan tools will always be faster than bluetooth/wifi.

aratic
26-09-2011, 11:45 AM
If anyone knows or can find out the PID for EOP (Engine Oil Pressure) can you post it up? Those with EFI Live might be able to help with this.

I got an email back from Ian Hawkins (the creator) and he can add it to the app but doesnt have access to a GM vehicle to get the PID from

RB30X
01-10-2011, 02:09 AM

cheers

Can someone please answer this as I'm not sure if buying a bluetooth OBD adaptor will help me with an iphone due to limited bluetooth capability. Some of you mention using hardwired cables but how does this fit your iphone?
Thanks

vr5speedv6
01-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Can someone please answer this as I'm not sure if buying a bluetooth OBD adaptor will help me with an iphone due to limited bluetooth capability. Some of you mention using hardwired cables but how does this fit your iphone?
Thanks

For iphone, go with a kiwi wifi. (http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/)

blow thru
01-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Is there any difference between the free app and the one thats $4.90.Which one should i download.

cheers

chocco
01-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Is there any difference between the free app and the one thats $4.90.Which one should i download.

cheers

The free app has more PIDS such as auto temp for the GM and more features well worth $5.00

RB30X
01-10-2011, 10:00 AM
You's are talking about android apps hey.

RB30X
01-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Here's my cunning plan, can you fault it?

I buy a UBD2 connector with a USB cable. I can either plug this into my laptop and use the software provided OR connect it to a lesbian (female to female) USB connector and plug in my normal USB to iPhone cable. Then get the dash command app. Sound like a plan?

VT_SS_II
01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't think the USB to iPhone will work as I think USB relies on a 'Host' - 'client'
connection and both the ODB2 connector and iPhone would be 'client' devices.

If this were to work then you would probably be able to connect a USB thumb drive to an iPhone as well using the same type of setup.

blow thru
01-10-2011, 11:03 AM
The free app has more PIDS such as auto temp for the GM and more features well worth $5.00

Ok cheers for that.

the phat punk
01-10-2011, 12:25 PM
waiting for my orb2 connector going to be running it on a Samsung Galaxy S2 will give bulk feed back. i'm hoping blue tooth isn't too slow

chocco
01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
waiting for my orb2 connector going to be running it on a Samsung Galaxy S2 will give bulk feed back. i'm hoping blue tooth isn't too slow

Make sure you set your profile first on Torque and disable faster connection.

Other than that works a treat, just took the car for spin earlier to check the new cooler for leaks works a treat now that I have it all sorted.

As requested earlier just a couple of extra PID's required. Oil pressure and also Ambient Air Temp as well would be good.

Soopy
01-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Make sure you set your profile first on Torque and disable faster connection.

Other than that works a treat, just took the car for spin earlier to check the new cooler for leaks works a treat now that I have it all sorted.

As requested earlier just a couple of extra PID's required. Oil pressure and also Ambient Air Temp as well would be good.

How are you going to get Ambient air temp if there is no such sensor?

chocco
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
How are you going to get Ambient air temp if there is no such sensor?

VZ with Climate control has the Outside Temp I figure that it must go back to the PCM but may go back direct to the Climate Control but I don't have a schematic to see.

chocco
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Soopy,

Do you know what the PID is for Oil Pressure ???

Soopy
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Don't think it has anything to do with the PCM but I could be wrong. Just like the sensors for the seat belt light don't go to the PCM.

aratic
01-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Soopy,

Do you know what the PID is for Oil Pressure ???

I've been trying to find the PID out but no luck so far. I assume it can be added to the app, as the Aeroforce gauges give oil pressure readings through OBD2

RB30X
02-10-2011, 02:52 AM
For iphone, go with a kiwi wifi. (http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/)

Look like a great product but if you can get away with a $25 ebay job, I'm taking the cheaper route.

I don't think the USB to iPhone will work as I think USB relies on a 'Host' - 'client'
connection and both the ODB2 connector and iPhone would be 'client' devices.

So I'd be better off using the Bluetooth ODB connection as below to use with the Iphone app:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBD-II-CAN-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-ELM-327-Reader-OBDII-/140590762923?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BPSSI%252BSI%26its%3DI%26 itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BUCK%26otn%3D20%26pmod%3D17067 9448301%252B170679448301%26po%3D%26ps%3D63

cheers

the phat punk
04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120767707129?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 i got that orb2 reader and can't get torque to find it FML

jsme
07-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Hmm, this app reckons my foot to the floor only = 87% throttle. Why would it be saying that?

chocco
07-10-2011, 06:15 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120767707129?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 i got that orb2 reader and can't get torque to find it FML

Have you set Torque to Bluetooth not Wireless ???

chocco
07-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Hmm, this app reckons my foot to the floor only = 87% throttle. Why would it be saying that?

Could be the formula, some of the PID's have formula's.

Just remember its only a toy/guide and its probably not going to be 100% on everything.

For me it does it exactly what i want Coolant and Tranny temp.

aratic
10-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Or you could have a bent throttle peddle. With your foot flat is the throttle body 100% open?

SirNemesis
10-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Or you could have a bent throttle peddle. With your foot flat is the throttle body 100% open?

Pedal position != Throttle position...

gmh308
10-10-2011, 11:18 AM

87% is correct. That is the % of the throttle blade potentiometer voltage range. i.e. 87% = 87% of 5V = 100% open. There is another PID that shows absolute throttle blade position.

heavyduty1340
17-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Get the full version there are more PID's available, mine displays voltage.

I just got 3 of these, and not one of the bastards will work

I have only tyried them on a VE atm, but they donrt seem to want to hook up with bluetooth:hmmm::hmmm:

vessloveit
17-10-2011, 05:47 PM

I have only tyried them on a VE atm, but they donrt seem to want to hook up with bluetooth:hmmm::hmmm:

I also purchased one of these and have not had a good play with it, it seems to pair with my HTC Wildfire using the free version of Torque but does not connect, what PIN did you use when prompted I used 1234.

chocco
17-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Yes 1234.

Did you go into Torque adpter settings and select bluetooth device, CBT

heavyduty1340
17-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Well what do you know

I left one plugged into the G8, and jstnow when I went for a drive, it paired up and woked perfectly!!

Will have to see how reliable it is from now on

How do you get them to store info to read later on, or cant you?

chocco
17-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Well what do you know

I left one plugged into the G8, and jstnow when I went for a drive, it paired up and woked perfectly!!

Will have to see how reliable it is from now on

How do you get them to store info to read later on, or cant you?

1) Set up a Vehicle profile.

2) Settings and load GM Enhanced PID's

3) Add what displays you want.

4) Settings - Data Logging and select which PID's you want to log.

Go for a drive and in the Display screen select Start Logging.

It will save this to a CSV file in the Torque folder, copy this to your desktop and presto theres your logged data.

Also set up your threhholds for alarm's as well in settings.

heavyduty1340
17-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Thank you:thumbsup:

vessloveit
18-10-2011, 05:26 AM
Yes 1234.

Did you go into Torque adpter settings and select bluetooth device, CBT

I do not think so however I could see the CBT in the BlueTooth settings of the phone so next time I will check the settings in Torque itself.

Thanks for the tip.

CunningStunter
27-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Torque (the app) has actually changed a lot since I originally posted this. It now has separate modes for guages/error codes/adapter status/map overlay etc.

It's now got a new plugin system as well. Although there's only 2 plugins currently they're both pretty mad. First is a graphing mode, which can create stuff similar to dyno charts or quick graphs so you can record figures relative to each other. Second is called track recorder. I've literally only just discovered it tonight, but it lets you take video and overlay OBD data so you can get race-recording style video for track-days/drags/spirited drives to the shops:rofl:

The track-recorder seems to be pretty new and the OBD data isn't in cool gauges yet or anything, but it definitely seems to be improving :D

Another app - 'A Lap Recorder HD' is quite good. Doesn't seem to have all the data that Torque spits out, but the video mode is great. Haven't yet tried the Video plugin for Torque.....

cheers

iPhone is the Key word here. Since they don't connect via Bluetooth you need a WIFI version. Same Same but different...

Thanks

As above - bluetooth won't work :( I bought my OBDII Key from OBDKEY.com and they sell the Kiwi both in WIFI and Bluetooth.

Using on my SG2 - loving it.

I bought my OBD key a few years back when I swapped to GPS data logging for lap times during track / race meets (bike). Back then it was on a Nokia N95 running Symbian and RaceChrono as the lap timer.

Bought the OBD because you can overlap throttle %, RPM, gear and all other data OVER the top of your video of your laptime (very similar to torque/alap recorder then but has been out alot longer) but on JAP bikes this doesn't work - they don't have the standard OBD port to connect in to!

If you own a Euro bike, Trumpy, Duke, 'Prilla etc then you can use it no worries and along with the new phones ability to log lean angle etc AWESOME for bike riders.....so long as you don't ride JAP! We tried to frankenstein some plugs/connector to make it fit but haven't succeeded as yet :(

So 2 things I need help with :)

1. Does anyone know if/how this can be wired into the JAP bike plugs? Specifically GSXRs? Would need to know which pins connect to the other side to be able to do it, we're about 75% there but can't get it working....

2. Data logging from Car - since this is a car forum I'd better ask an obligatory car related question LOL - so now I have been playing around logging stuff - what data is best to log? There's alot of options for fuel/air and the AFR (command) parameter is showing 14.7:1 (a bit high?) and does not change...

Just after some guidance on what to log, and what numbers I should be looking for a rough guide....

Thanks!

chocco
27-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Things to log,

1) Auto Temp
2) Coolant Temp
3) Ambient Temp
4) Inlet temp
5) Long Term/Short term AFR's, running rich or lean.
6) Oil Pressure
7) Oil Temp

SSV does 6 and 7 anyways

These would be the main ones, the more you watch/log the slower it will be.

Nidz
27-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I looked into this for Iphone a few years ago. Was rather expensive. None of the good apps on Iphone would work with BT.. They required WIFI dongle like KIWI dongle.. Apps like REV.

Not sure about Android but I'd be willing to give it a shot if I was sure that the BT ODB dongle wasn't gonna short out my car.. lol.. Watch out for the Chinese cheapies.. I hear they can be a little risky..

CunningStunter
28-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Things to log,

1) Auto Temp
2) Coolant Temp
3) Ambient Temp
4) Inlet temp
5) Long Term/Short term AFR's, running rich or lean.
6) Oil Pressure
7) Oil Temp

SSV does 6 and 7 anyways

These would be the main ones, the more you watch/log the slower it will be.

Thanks Chocco!

Dumb question though > what sort of figure is going to indicate rich/lean?
Temps are fairly obvious as some of the others are, but there's a WHOLE damned list of stuff I'm not sure how to decipher.... :(

So here's what I'm questioning...

Which AFR? There is Commanded and Measured. I assume Measured and only one of them actually records a figure.

With alot of the sensors, they have several banks - CAT temps have Bank 1, sensor 1 + 2, Bank 2, sensor 1 + 2 etc...realise catalytic temps not really important other than for diagnosis but Fuel Trim Banks have a similar setup but even MORE options to select from...

Assuming Mass Air flow rate won't record on a mafless tune?

O2 / O2 Volt sensors? *scratches head*

Timing advance? Cam specific...?

Hmmmm...I have so many noob questions perhaps I better go read OBDII Data for Dummies before posting up here...

A PSYCHO
02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Anyone else have trouble getting engine oil Temp to work? All other Temp sensors I have showing are fine, just this one is showing blank, no reading at all. Any ideas?

Sent from my Samsung galaxy SII using Tapatalk

macca_779
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Anyone else have trouble getting engine oil Temp to work? All other Temp sensors I have showing are fine, just this one is showing blank, no reading at all. Any ideas?

Sent from my Samsung galaxy SII using Tapatalk

Ahh might have something to do with there not being an oil temp sensor in your engine.

A PSYCHO
02-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Figured as much. Oh well trans temp ect was always the main priority.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using tapatalk

goose202
18-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I bought one of these of ebay $15 delivered and it seems to work great with the Torque pro app.
Some of the items seem a bit slow to update and some the values don't make any sense. 1-2 Shift error 6.1 seconds? I reckon I'd notice that...

Trans temp monitoring was the main thing I was after and that works fine.

Question: these dongles don't appear to turn off with the ignition off, does anyone leave them plugged in all the time? Do they go to sleep after a while?

grandpa spec
18-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Just got mine yesterday and can confirm it does stay on even without ignition turned on.

You do need the ignition turned on to get it to interface with the car though.

Don't quite understand the logging as opening the csv file doesn't work properly in android apps. Might work properly once I get it into excel. It's only the free version so not sure how much useful data I can get, will try and extract.

Got air / fuel, oil temp and fuel pressure setup to log as well now so will see what happens tomorrow.

Also, if you are having issues pairing with the cheap eBay elm327 obd2 Bluetooth adaptors the code seems to be 5678, you also need to select the device by going into the torque settings inside the application.

goose202
18-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Mine paired with 1234.

The CSV files work fine in Excel. You do have to go in to the option and specify what additional items you want logged though, otherwise you just seem to get GPS details and time.

Stewge
18-11-2011, 10:36 PM
I bought one of these of ebay $15 delivered and it seems to work great with the Torque pro app.
Some of the items seem a bit slow to update and some the values don't make any sense. 1-2 Shift error 6.1 seconds? I reckon I'd notice that...

Trans temp monitoring was the main thing I was after and that works fine.

Question: these dongles don't appear to turn off with the ignition off, does anyone leave them plugged in all the time? Do they go to sleep after a while?

They won't go to sleep automatically. This is a flaw/limitation of the cheaper dongles. The ScanTool dongles can be set to auto-sleep when ignition is off but they cost a fair bit more ($150+).

I'm thinking of getting one myself as they're a lot more stable, can communicate faster, have the sleep function, and come with a right-angle extension cable so I can run it under the dash and into one of the compartments out of sight rather than sticking out. They have USB built-in as well so it can be cabled straight to a PC if bluetooth proves unreliable.

grandpa spec
18-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Mine paired with 1234.

Must just be a manufacturing thing, seen quite a few places selling them.

Could you get the Google logs to work? Klm format or something?

goose202
18-11-2011, 11:06 PM
The KML file opens in google earth fine for me.

VenomX-87
20-11-2011, 07:45 PM
What kind of readings would i be able to get off of one of these for a VZ alloytec?

Also is there any apps for symbian(Nokia) mobiles? all i can find in OVI store is a falt code reader(OBDII Trouble Code Lookup) for $2.

grandpa spec
21-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Not a whole lot out there for Nokia, the ovi store is about as useful as punch to the family jewels.

You can get cheap android phones these days so of you were really keen just grab a prepaid and slap your sim into it

ti0350
21-11-2011, 06:09 PM
would one of these work on a Captiva and Astra, would be interesting to see what readings i can get from my Captiva a few things might come in handy on dads astra as well.
Pity I didn't have an android phone when I had my old VYSS.

VenomX-87
21-11-2011, 06:43 PM
ah im paying for the missuses HTC Desire so looks like she will be getting my phone and ill use hers lol. Orderd one of the ones off ebay, waiting for it to arive so i can test it out now :)

whitels1ss
21-11-2011, 06:51 PM
I got one for my Samsung Galaxy 2 off ebay ($14.80)
then I got an App called "Torque" ($4.80 from App Market)
Under $20 all up.
It works great! :driving:

goose202
21-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Does anyone know how to read the 1-2 shift error parameters?
Mine often shows "6.3" with the units apparently in seconds. It's definitely not taking 6.3 seconds to shift into second. Or perhaps it's just a bug somewhere?

VenomX-87
25-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Ordered one for $29 off ebay on sunday receved today from sydney, installed OBDscope on my nokia(7 day trial) and it works perfictly.
gave me 37 guages for my VZ and has a fairly good responce time, have not taken it out for a drive yet but gave it a few revs in the driveway watching the air speed, air/fuel ratio, intake air temp and oxy sensors, very cool little guaget :)

chocco
26-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Best money I spent, as I have just changed my tranny oil to a synth to help lower my tranny temp when towing, if I didn't have this dongle with Torque I would have been none the wiser.

Best thing is you just set a alarm for whatever you want to monitor and forget worked for me, alarm went off at 105.

Just waiting for XMAS sales hope to get a 5inch Android Tablet cheap.

my99wrx7
27-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Do any of the bluetooth dongles work with the iphone at all? Or do we have to get a wifi version?

RB30X
27-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Do any of the bluetooth dongles work with the iphone at all? Or do we have to get a wifi version?

Sux to have an iPhone right about now hey. I bought one of the Bluetooth dongles and it doesn't connect to my iPhone. I ended up connecting it to the laptop to read data but no as much fun as these guys are having.

Stewge
27-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Sux to have an iPhone right about now hey. I bought one of the Bluetooth dongles and it doesn't connect to my iPhone. I ended up connecting it to the laptop to read data but no as much fun as these guys are having.

You have to get a wifi version to connect with the iphone. Scantool make them but they're pricey.

RARASV8
09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-V1-4-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Interface-/150590287319?_trksid=p4012.m8&_trkparms=algo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D 15%26po%3DLCA%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4763721312190734 466

just got 1 $14.79

Garry

chocco
10-12-2011, 08:37 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-V1-4-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Interface-/150590287319?_trksid=p4012.m8&_trkparms=algo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D 15%26po%3DLCA%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4763721312190734 466

just got 1 $14.79

Garry

It'll be the best $14.79 you ever spent, never leave home without it.

chocco
10-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Have been emailing the guy who does obddroid scan, sometime soon that will have tranny temp as well.

Nosarva
15-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Just got my bluetooth device today, had a play on the way to work.... great little tool, very handy.... anyone got the PID for OIL TEMP or OIL Pressure yet?

I have Trans Temp etc. just not Oil Temp or Pressure.

aratic
15-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Pre VE you cant get oil temp because there is no sensor, and the oil pressure PID doesnt work

Devil505
29-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Hey all!
Anyone know where I can get an obd2 bluetooth adapter in Adelaide today??
Heading to Darwin tomorrow, was supposed to go on the Ghan but have to drive now!
If you have one and are willing to part with it
SMS me before tomorrow!
0439 503 664

RARASV8
29-12-2011, 09:13 AM
got mine today, having a play and found some interesting stuff.
timing adv: what is a common number? mine went beyond 40
air intake temp: got as high as 79 idling in driveway and down to 26 on the road.

don't know if this was a good idea or not! to much info to play with:doh:

Garry

I Wish
29-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Hey all!
Anyone know where I can get an obd2 bluetooth adapter in Adelaide today??
Heading to Darwin tomorrow, was supposed to go on the Ghan but have to drive now!
If you have one and are willing to part with it
SMS me before tomorrow!
0439 503 664

Flood damge to the Stuart Highway. So could be a few days before you can get through to Darwin.
http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/highway.jsp?name=Stuart%20Highway

Phillshz
29-12-2011, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=RARASV8;1984973]got mine today, having a play and found some interesting stuff.
air intake temp: got as high as 79 idling in driveway and down to 26 on the road.

My timing advance has been as high as 35.5 with the mrs driving on cruise at 110km/h,i have seen it move between 30-35 when she was driving at 110km/h.
Intake temp eventually runs about 6c above ambient once on the move for some time,heat soak unfortunatly creeps in and gives a artifically high reading when idling or fans are on.
I`m in the same boat as you,there is so much info to check out.:dance:
Cheers Phill

Woodchukka
29-12-2011, 07:08 PM
got mine today, having a play and found some interesting stuff.

Garry

If you look deep enough you will always find something that doesn't seem quite right. All sounds ok to me. As Phill said temp is heat soak and nothing to worry about at all. Just kick back take it all in and you will soon find out what is 'normal'.

goose202
29-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I haven't seen 40 degrees advance but 35+ so those numbers look similar to what I've been seeing too.

Intake temps are interesting to watch. I've found sealing up all the gaps where warm air can get in and using some insulation on the airbox has helped keep them down. On the highway the temps come down to ambient, but it all seems to heatsoak pretty quick at low speeds. Big throttle openings bring the temps down quick too.

I notice that the once the coolant temp gauge in the dash gets to the normal operating position (91 degrees), it doesn't move. I saw 98 degrees and the needle hadn't moved from where is was at 91. I can only assume that by design it won't start to move until the temperature gets outside of normal operating temperatures in order not to panic drivers when the needle climbs a bit.

The transmission seems to take a good half hour to get to it's usual steady state temperature (about 75 degrees). Highest I saw was 85 degrees towing two dirtbikes on a 7x4 up through the freeway tunnels on a 30 degree day. What sort of trans temps should I start getting concerned about?

RB30X
10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Has anyone had issues reading their IAT?
I can get heaps of other feeds when reading my Clubby or my Prado, but the IAT's for both appear to sit high (top of range) and not move.
It would be strange that both sensors on two different cars are broken?

RARASV8
10-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Has anyone had issues reading their IAT?
I can get heaps of other feeds when reading my Clubby or my Prado, but the IAT's for both appear to sit high (top of range) and not move.
It would be strange that both sensors on two different cars are broken?

no problem reading iat's here. maybe try reinstalling the app

Garry

Phillshz
10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I haven't seen 40 degrees advance but 35+ so those numbers look similar to what I've been seeing too.

Intake temps are interesting to watch. I've found sealing up all the gaps where warm air can get in and using some insulation on the airbox has helped keep them down. On the highway the temps come down to ambient, but it all seems to heatsoak pretty quick at low speeds. Big throttle openings bring the temps down quick too.

I notice that the once the coolant temp gauge in the dash gets to the normal operating position (91 degrees), it doesn't move. I saw 98 degrees and the needle hadn't moved from where is was at 91. I can only assume that by design it won't start to move until the temperature gets outside of normal operating temperatures in order not to panic drivers when the needle climbs a bit.

The transmission seems to take a good half hour to get to it's usual steady state temperature (about 75 degrees). Highest I saw was 85 degrees towing two dirtbikes on a 7x4 up through the freeway tunnels on a 30 degree day. What sort of trans temps should I start getting concerned about?

My IAT creeps up with any WOT and i have a MCAI and 2nd hole mod. I have started sealing up gaps between the rad and headlight but it still happens :doh:. Do you have a pic of your handy work? As this was my next move.

Yes,your correct the temp gauge wont move from about 1/4 until the temp reaches 105c to stop owners panicking if they see the gauge move. It should be in or near the red at 115 and on H by 120+ (by that time the cluster will have been beeping at you like crazy)
Mine creeps about 1mm up from 1/4 at 98c.

The tranny does take some time to warm up like you mention. I use Transmax Z/stanard cooler in rad and have seen a high of 94c on a 30+ hot day when stopping into the local coles & trolling around my suburb on the way home after work & then idling for 10mins. On the road 80 is the norm for me. I`m unaware of the max operating range temp but at a guess i would make 105c my safe max.

Cheers Phill

Phillshz
10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Google says 75-95c is the 4L60/65E normal operating range,can climb to an absoloute max 140c for short periods under high load. By 148c it`s cooked itself though.

aratic
10-01-2012, 02:48 PM
With my OTR once your moving the IAT drops to ambient but as soon as you come to a standstill it creeps up almost instantly. In 30 secs idling in traffic it can increase by 15 degs.

My trans temp hasnt gone above about 95 and that includes times when I've been towing a jetski

goose202
10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Phillshz, there's nothing special about what I've done.
I've got the MCAI, two hole modded as well, but I've also got the SS Inductions "big mouth" top scoop hacked up and sitting over the top of the MCAI. I just used gaf tape to seal everything up, and water pipe foam insulation split over the edge of the top of the MCAI to seal against the top scoop. Looks pretty ordinary but quick to do for testing.

I also insulated the outside bottom half of the airbox with foil backed foam, that seemed to help a bit. Wrapping the small section of air hose containing the IAT sensor with the same foil backed foam (ie shielding it from radiant heat) achieved nothing, so I'm convinced that it's simply everything heatsoaking and heating the intake air. In metro driving, I've found that once you stop and the IAT goes up, it just won't come back down to ambient. On the highway after 5-10 minutes at the speed limit, it's back to ambient.

The question of course though is if for a street car it's even worth pursuing lower IATs.

It makes sense then that the OTR setups come back down to ambient so fast with much less intake tract to heatsoak in the first place. There's a big thread about all that around here somewhere.

Phillshz
11-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Oh ok i see. I have just put the standard radiator cover back on, i remember seeing something about blocking off the section of the cover where the original intake pipe drew air in, but the general concencous was it made no difference, i have thought about it but haven`t tried it since getting torque.

I have also carried out the MAF mod (VZ-VE) and i have wrapped the MAF in a strip of the towbar heat sheild strip that lines the boot/spare wheel well. Summer finally arrived in Sydney over the weekend and after a 30 min drive (a/c on) and parking for 30 min, the IAT read 70c! So i have to agree with you that heat soak is heating everything in the intake tract and wrapping the MAF acheived little,you think it would be doing something!. IAT came down reasonable quick once moving though.

My next move was to insulate the "hot" side of the lower airbox,good to know it does help. I have also considered removing the NSF headlight so i can get a good look at what the incoming air sees and plug any gaps where engine bay and radiator hot air can creep in.

Funny that you mention street cars, the majority of good folk here are focused on outright power & 1/4 mile times, forgetting that these cars are primarily family based daily driven street cars and not race cars :driving:

I`m just trying to make the standard intake more effcient/optimised in air flow and temps, lower IAT`s will allow more timing and therefore more torque down low/cruising and also a bit of free extra power up high. Steve from OZTRACK has mention using 98 (i use 95 as its much more affordable) allows the PCM to throw out alot more timing under 2000rpm than 91.

I`ve been through the numurous OTR/IAT temp threads. Have learnt to read,take note of who knows what he is talking about and leave queitly :argue:

Cheers Phill

goose202
11-01-2012, 08:54 AM
The only reason I'm using the SS inductions scoop is because that's what I bought the car with and I don't have the original radiator cover. I've converted it to the MCAI setup. So I'm not able to make any comments about the top inlet and it's effect.

I had planned to insulate the top half of the airbox and see what effect that has, just haven't got to it.

I just used a torch at night to spot any potential leaks. Turn it on, shine it around in the MCAI and look for light where there shouldn't be any! :D

VTR8Clubby
11-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I've bought one of these and have it working but have a couple of questions. Car is a VTII Clubsport.

1. Which PID's for the O2 sensors. Obviously I only have 2 sensors but there are 4 PIDs for them?
02 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 1
02 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 2
02 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 1
02 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 2
Also, sensor 1 on both banks shows very erratic voltages. I'm Guessing the o2 sensor may be buggered but how do I tell for sure?

2. How do I view the logged data?

Phillshz
11-01-2012, 11:20 AM
That is another way to check for leaks goose :idea:

goose202
11-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Assume you're using Torque, VTR8Clubby?

Can't help with the o2 data, but to view the logged data, you can either use the option within the app to email the log to yourself and open it in Excel or similar, or the log files themselves can be found in a directory on the phone's SD card. Remeber you have to specifically start and stop the logging, and you need to set options somewhere if you want more than just some of the standard PIDs logged.

VTR8Clubby
11-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Assume you're using Torque, VTR8Clubby?

Can't help with the o2 data, but to view the logged data, you can either use the option within the app to email the log to yourself and open it in Excel or similar, or the log files themselves can be found in a directory on the phone's SD card. Remeber you have to specifically start and stop the logging, and you need to set options somewhere if you want more than just some of the standard PIDs logged.

Yes I'm using Torque. Transferred it via bluetooth thanks.

Can anyone help with my O2 Sensor q's?

Woodchukka
11-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I've bought one of these and have it working but have a couple of questions. Car is a VTII Clubsport.

1. Which PID's for the O2 sensors. Obviously I only have 2 sensors but there are 4 PIDs for them?
02 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 1
02 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 2
02 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 1
02 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 2
Also, sensor 1 on both banks shows very erratic voltages. I'm Guessing the o2 sensor may be buggered but how do I tell for sure?

2. How do I view the logged data?

I have attached 2 300 second samples of logged data from my 03 VYII SS. Voltage is on the left axis and the lower axis is time (for both). The first starts from just before I started my car and driving in town. The first shows that I am logging O2 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 1 and O2 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 1. As you can see up and down a lot.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa454/Woodchukka/TorqueO2sensordata.jpg

Here is another 300 second sample from the same log that is mid trip cruising at 100kph in 6th at around the 1500rpm.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa454/Woodchukka/TorqueO2sensordata2.jpg

Whether this is normal? I assume so as the car runs fine and returns good economy. I have done a few logs with separate data and it is interesting to look through it.

Black VU SS ute
11-01-2012, 09:39 PM
my understanding of the o2 sensor is 1 reading is for the heater circut and the other is for the sensor reading, the sensor reading is the one the only changes by 5 milli volts and the other reading will change all over the place will driving

Woodchukka
11-01-2012, 09:48 PM
my understanding of the o2 sensor is 1 reading is for the heater circut and the other is for the sensor reading, the sensor reading is the one the only changes by 5 milli volts and the other reading will change all over the place will driving

For me Sensor 1 on both banks is the above. Sensor 2 records 0.44 or 0.45 volts all the time.

RARASV8
11-01-2012, 10:01 PM
I have attached 2 300 second samples of logged data from my 03 VYII SS. Voltage is on the left axis and the lower axis is time (for both). The first starts from just before I started my car and driving in town. The first shows that I am logging O2 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 1 and O2 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 1. As you can see up and down a lot.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa454/Woodchukka/TorqueO2sensordata.jpg

Here is another 300 second sample from the same log that is mid trip cruising at 100kph in 6th at around the 1500rpm.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa454/Woodchukka/TorqueO2sensordata2.jpg

Whether this is normal? I assume so as the car runs fine and returns good economy. I have done a few logs with separate data and it is interesting to look through it.

ok i'm dumb! how do you get this data?
had a look in the menu of torque, and not making much sense of how to send the data

Garry

Woodchukka
11-01-2012, 10:38 PM
ok i'm dumb! how do you get this data?
had a look in the menu of torque, and not making much sense of how to send the data

Garry

While you may know most of these steps I'll start from the beginning and pick up from where you are familiar so we are on the same page fit you have any more questions.

1. Go to 'Realtime Information'
2. Open menu and go to 'Email Logs'
3. Select a log file.
4. You will be given options for which format you want the data sent. Choose 'CSV (Comma separated values)'. This can be opened with Excel.
5. Then choose how you want to send it to yourself. Bluetooth, Email, Gmail, Wi-Fi. (I e-mail logs to my normal e-mail address).
6. You will end up with a file like 'trackLog-2011-Nov-20_17-24-48'. Open this with Excel.
7. Once open it will look just like Excel and you can then save it as a Excel file.

Once open in Excel you can manipulate it just like any Excel data or show the data in a graph. Did I answer the question?

VTR8Clubby
11-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Cheers, I've got it sorted. I was logging bank1 sensor1 and bank1 sensor2 instead of bank1 sensor1 and bank2 sensor1.
And they both act the same as the graph posted above.

Woodchukka
11-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Cheers, I've got it sorted. I was logging bank1 sensor1 and bank1 sensor2 instead of bank1 sensor1 and bank2 sensor1.
And they both act the same as the graph posted above.

Ain't it fun trying to sort this s@#t out! Now you have to fight Excel to get the graphs right.

RARASV8
11-01-2012, 11:34 PM
just updated to the full torque, i was on lite. bit more info with the full version.

now how the phuck do i use excel? hehe

Garry

blow thru
12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Are you guys getting trans temp? i did have volts but its now stopped.

VTSSDUDE
13-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Does anyone know where we could get the oil pressure PID?

aratic
13-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Are you guys getting trans temp? i did have volts but its now stopped.

To get trans temp and some others, you have to add a 'predefined list' of PIDS specific to the vehicle. From the main menu, go Settings->Manage extra PIDS/Sensors and then hit the menu button on your phone and click Add Predifined set, then add the GM list.

VTSSDUDE - The oil pressure PID (221470) doesnt seem to work

goose202
13-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I've done quite a bit of research and I can't get oil pressure going either.
It seems that scanguage? can get oil pressure though, so it's got to be available. If we can work out which PID it is and how to interpret the data, I think the Torque developer will be keen to implement it. He seems very responsive to a couple of other feature requests I've made.

JET-33
13-01-2012, 09:24 AM
just downloaded torque free and ordered a dongle from ebay....looking fwd to it arriving

VTSSDUDE
13-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I've done quite a bit of research and I can't get oil pressure going either.
It seems that scanguage? can get oil pressure though, so it's got to be available. If we can work out which PID it is and how to interpret the data, I think the Torque developer will be keen to implement it. He seems very responsive to a couple of other feature requests I've made.

Yeah I have a scangauge in my SS. From what I have read somewhere, the scangauge does a calculation from the oil sensor (as they are only an voltage sensor) to show the oil pressure readings, it's not just a direct PID. So maybe that's why there isn't a PID for oil pressure.
I am not sure how correct this is?

goose202
13-01-2012, 11:38 AM
That's my understanding too. But if the information is available to scanguage via OBD2, then knowing the PID and the calculation required, Torque should be able to do it too. Problem is I know neither! :D

blow thru
15-01-2012, 07:28 AM
To get trans temp and some others, you have to add a 'predefined list' of PIDS specific to the vehicle. From the main menu, go Settings->Manage extra PIDS/Sensors and then hit the menu button on your phone and click Add Predifined set, then add the GM list.

VTSSDUDE - The oil pressure PID (221470) doesnt seem to work

Awesome cheers for that.

THEMESHMAN260
16-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi all i think this is a great idea, will this device work on a 2011 VE SSV holden?? And if so witch are the best sellers on ebay to buy the OBD2 part, and with the andriod app, witch one do i go for, the free one, or the paid one. whats the differance anyway??

warpz0r
20-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

I got the obd adaptor and torque and it gets the readings fine on my android tablet. My main reason for purchase was to view an error code for my check engine light on the screen - vy 2 v8 calais.

When I goto check error codes it scans and comes back with none, and if I clear error codes tthe dash error goes away for a few seconds and then comes back. Any one experience this problem?

Thanks adam

RB30X
22-01-2012, 08:39 PM
I've been doing some logging with mine at I've registered that at high revs its registering a 'knock retard'. Any one else have this issue. It seems I've selected too many PID's to log at once so the figures dont flow very well so I will do it again while just logging a few to get some more accurate trends.

I also found that my AIT gets real hot towards the end of a drive.

My auto trans temp seems to jump in and out sometimes, not sure if thats the fluid running out where ever the sensor is in the trans or what?

Max ignition advance at WOT is about 16-17 degrees. Do that sound normal. I have a mafless tune.

RARASV8
22-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I've been doing some logging with mine at I've registered that at high revs its registering a 'knock retard'. Any one else have this issue. It seems I've selected too many PID's to log at once so the figures dont flow very well so I will do it again while just logging a few to get some more accurate trends.

I also found that my AIT gets real hot towards the end of a drive.

My auto trans temp seems to jump in and out sometimes, not sure if thats the fluid running out where ever the sensor is in the trans or what?

Max ignition advance at WOT is about 16-17 degrees. Do that sound normal. I have a mafless tune.
what are the highs and lows of your timing? mine at 7-9 on a cold day at idle(12 deg temp) , and goes up to 16 -18 on hot days (34 deg temp) have had a high of 49.5 a few times. set an alarm of for water temp reaching 100 today, quite a few times too. i've had mine in my maffless tuned my misses VT SS mail order mafless tune and the stepson VX CLUBBY STOCK TUNE. and the difference between each makes for some great reading:shock:

Garry

gladrock
22-01-2012, 10:17 PM
HI

Please tel me if im wrong,

This is what I need to use an iPhone

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PLX-Kiwi-Wifi-iPhone-iPod-Touch-Automotive-OBDII-OBD2-Interface-Diagnostic-Gauge-/250904240831?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3a6b0ee2bf

steves87
12-02-2012, 11:07 AM
picking up my bluetooth adapter later today, cant wait!
i skimmed through the thread but didnt notice if this question had been asked already..... but, can you still receive calls through the cars bluetooth while aquiring data from the cal/dongle?

Woodchukka
13-02-2012, 02:59 AM
picking up my bluetooth adapter later today, cant wait!
i skimmed through the thread but didnt notice if this question had been asked already..... but, can you still receive calls through the cars bluetooth while aquiring data from the cal/dongle?

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I can recieve calls while logging with no issues.

steves87
13-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I can recieve calls while logging with no issues.

Aawesome thanks!
just tried the adapter on the way to work this morning, works like a charm! ill have a better play around with it this afternoon....
connection no worries with the sgs2 and a 15$ ebay job

vxsslsx
13-02-2012, 02:30 PM
I just brought a vgate mini from eBay anyone else brought this one? I suppose all the cheap ones are basically the same. Should be fun to play around with.

Phillshz
13-02-2012, 03:00 PM
I just brought a vgate mini from eBay anyone else brought this one? I suppose all the cheap ones are basically the same. Should be fun to play around with.

Yep, the 1.5 version. Had it for a few months and works fine & i leave it plugged in, no need to remove it from your car.
Though people say they can be a bit hit and miss, coming out of china etc (they either work fine or die)

vxsslsx
13-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Yep, the 1.5 version. Had it for a few months and works fine & i leave it plugged in, no need to remove it from your car.
Though people say they can be a bit hit and miss, coming out of china etc (they either work fine or die)

Sounds good, so its fine to leave plugged in no battery drain?

blow thru
25-02-2012, 12:29 PM
I have had a engine misfire the other day and tracked it down to be a coilpack replaced and all good but this morning it missed again for a short second after i put in more fuel.Question is can i scan for this for trouble codes with the obd2 or do i need a scantool to check?

cheers

wally01
25-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Sounds good, so its fine to leave plugged in no battery drain?

I have left mine in twice and it has flattened the batt over the weekend on both occassions..

RARASV8
25-02-2012, 02:53 PM
i have left mine connected since the day i got it, drive the car on tues for swimming and sunday drives. np probs with the batterie

Garry

steves87
29-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Scanner-OBD2-OBD-II-Diagnostic-Interface-V1-4-/160727175892?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item256c1612d4

and have forgotten to disconnect it several times over night, next day car started no worries.
it definitely stays on with the ignition off as some lights are still on (not sure which ones off the top of my head) how long should it take to flatten a battery with say 65-75% charge? assuming the bluetooth is always on and it isnt just a little red light that stays on?

VTSSDUDE
29-02-2012, 06:45 PM
I have had a engine misfire the other day and tracked it down to be a coilpack replaced and all good but this morning it missed again for a short second after i put in more fuel.Question is can i scan for this for trouble codes with the obd2 or do i need a scantool to check?

cheers

The Android Torque app can scan and clear codes.

VTSSDUDE
29-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Also I am starting to see Bluetooth OBD2 connectors on eBay with on/off switches.

wally01
29-02-2012, 06:53 PM
I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Scanner-OBD2-OBD-II-Diagnostic-Interface-V1-4-/160727175892?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item256c1612d4

and have forgotten to disconnect it several times over night, next day car started no worries.
it definitely stays on with the ignition off as some lights are still on (not sure which ones off the top of my head) how long should it take to flatten a battery with say 65-75% charge? assuming the bluetooth is always on and it isnt just a little red light that stays on?

Thats the same one i have ..
Since not having mine plugged in all the time i have not had any battery probs car starts first time after sitting all weekend..

steves87
29-02-2012, 08:03 PM
the bluetooth is off when the ignition is off as the phone will not re-connect without the ignition being on, but power still goes to the dongle as a light(s) is on.... wouldnt have thought that a couple of led lights would chew much juice

SimonNQ
29-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I would think that maybe the dongle was keeping the pid's alive? That would probably drain a bit more etc..

Phillshz
01-03-2012, 12:22 PM
the bluetooth is off when the ignition is off as the phone will not re-connect without the ignition being on, but power still goes to the dongle as a light(s) is on.... wouldnt have thought that a couple of led lights would chew much juice

The adaptor seems to sit in sleep mode until you turn the ign on. I have left my VZ sitting for a week, started fine after that. The little standby/sleep LED shouldn`t use any power.

steves87
01-03-2012, 12:39 PM
This whole week ive had it plugged in, but ive driven the car daily.
this weekend the car will sit for a few days straight, ill see how starting up on monday morning goes, im confident it will be fine, even though the battery is near 3 years old.
i agree with the sleep mode.

lmoengnr
01-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Some of the adaptors 'hibernate' after 60 mins of no use, most though are always active.

ti0350
22-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Just ordered my dongle off ebay, got torque from the app store now I'm hanging to get it and try it out on the Captiva on long service leave for the next 3 weeks so got plenty of time to play with it.
Really keen to log it for a couple of months before I get the ECU upgrade from Walkinshaw.

steves87
23-04-2012, 03:09 PM
has anyone tried the torque scan plug-in app? i gave it a go the other day but after 45mins it was still not done so i cancelled it.... does it actually find new pids?
Torque has been the equal best app i have ever purchased and for the record, since my last post i have not disconnected the dongle at all and the car has started up fine over extended rest periods.

I did this going 'up' my driveway a few weeks ago. On the first attempt it did not register any times, on this particular try there was a bit of wheel spin changing into second, does anyone know if a small amount of decelaration will stop the timing? i would have thought it keeps going until you get there

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/ozvette87/screenshot.jpg

also, on a side question, what sort of times are people getting with stock cars (if any around) my driving skill at a manual trans cant seem to better the above, but i hear 5 dead is not out of the question.

Woodchukka
24-04-2012, 12:00 PM
has anyone tried the torque scan plug-in app? i gave it a go the other day but after 45mins it was still not done so i cancelled it.... does it actually find new pids?
Torque has been the equal best app i have ever purchased and for the record, since my last post i have not disconnected the dongle at all and the car has started up fine over extended rest periods.

I did this going 'up' my driveway a few weeks ago. On the first attempt it did not register any times, on this particular try there was a bit of wheel spin changing into second, does anyone know if a small amount of decelaration will stop the timing? i would have thought it keeps going until you get there

also, on a side question, what sort of times are people getting with stock cars (if any around) my driving skill at a manual trans cant seem to better the above, but i hear 5 dead is not out of the question.

I searched (the one that said it will go for a long time) for as couple of hours for PIDs and it still had not finished and I got no gain. As for the times I have to do that one day.

steves87
24-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I searched (the one that said it will go for a long time) for as couple of hours for PIDs and it still had not finished and I got no gain. As for the times I have to do that one day.

wow.... thanks, i might have to wait till i drive +300km to see if i can get any to come up....

ti0350
25-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I did this going 'up' my driveway a few weeks ago.
Wow I'd love a drive way as long as yours :)

ti0350
26-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Got my dongle today gave it a brief run in the Captiva and everything seems to work great on it, getting a Cruze diesel hatch for a week off Holden tomorrow to do a review on so i will see if I can log that as well in the next week.

Phillshz
27-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Just a side note on concerns over battery drain with the adaptor left plugged in. My VZ sat for 3 wks with the adaptor plugged in. It was a little sluggish to wind over but that was to be expected after sitting for 3 wks.

Cheers Phill

Nidz
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I use a Bluetooth ODB reader with my HTC Android phone running Torque.. It's pretty good.. You can even get a track recorder addon for it as well so you can overlay guages over the videos.

QldKev
27-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I got one of the newer v1.5 and cannot connect
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160782198036?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I plug it into the car,
Turn key to ign
Go into the Toque app
Under bluetooth there are no devices.

What I am doing wrong?

edit: I noticed only the power light is on the scan tool, and it is red?

chocco
27-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Did you pair the adapter first in the bluetooth settings on the phone ?

QldKev
27-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I thought it would have come up to pair. I went into pair it first and it worked. Thanks

Woodchukka
27-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Hey QldKev. Can you post up if the v1.5 will allow the faster communications to work. It doesn't work on the one I have (v1.4). Of course the likely cause is that it is just cheap and nasty.

QldKev
27-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Hey QldKev. Can you post up if the v1.5 will allow the faster communications to work. It doesn't work on the one I have (v1.4). Of course the likely cause is that it is just cheap and nasty.

Just went out and turned it on. Went for a lap of the block and it worked no problems. I'll leave it switched on and see how I go. (but it may be a while before I get the wife's :girl: phone again for a longer trip)

QldKev

chocco
27-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Just went out and turned it on. Went for a lap of the block and it worked no problems. I'll leave it switched on and see how I go. (but it may be a while before I get the wife's :girl: phone again for a longer trip)

QldKev

Keep a eye out for a cheap samsung android phone you should pick one up for under $100, the samsung galaxy v3 is coming out soon so there should be cheap v1 for sale.

Woodchukka
27-05-2012, 10:17 PM

QldKev
Sounds promising. If I turn it on it usually faults and turns it off within 60 or so seconds :bawl:. I must say though it was to be expected given the price you pay for the adapter. An upgrade may be on the cards. At least I'll have to old one as a backup then.

goose202
12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
So according to the changelogs, there's now a GM specific oil pressure PID included in the latest version of the Torque software.
Except it still doesn't work for me on my VX. Anyone tried it and had any luck?

chocco
12-06-2012, 09:27 PM
So according to the changelogs, there's now a GM specific oil pressure PID included in the latest version of the Torque software.

VZ Cross 8 doesnt work either.

steves87
13-06-2012, 09:15 AM

yep both oil pressure and temp work on the ve ss

ti0350
13-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Will try the GM pid's in the Captiva next time I'm in it haven't it for days waiting for pay day soi I can rego it.

Tom333
13-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Not working in my VY SS

aratic
13-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Oil pressure PID must not be compatible in non-CAN vehicles, if it works in VE but not pre-VE

Phillshz
13-06-2012, 02:45 PM
MY06 VZ`s are on a CAN-BUS system, so it should work on the L76/L98 VZ`s.

Cheers Phill

Phillshz
14-06-2012, 07:03 AM
I can report back that engine oil press and engine oil temp PID`s work on MY06 L76/L98 VZ`s

Phill

Nidz
26-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi All.

I made this video the other day. Show what I've hooked up in my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=118DOmKgxl8&feature=plcp

RARASV8
27-06-2012, 07:07 PM
G'day Nidz,
do you need a sim card for this to work?

for the maps?
i just use my PHONE HOLDER, but did have it wedged into the compartment below the radio.

Garry

steves87
03-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I noticed an add for this in a 'Wheels' mag

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sct.tsx&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zY 3QudHN4Il0.

has anyone here used it?

QldKev
09-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Any one get strange readings from their torque app. I haven't used it for a while and went for a cruise today. I only tried the 0-100 times as the 1/4mile would mean speeding. First run 2.5secs, second run I backed off and got a 3.1.. Wish my car could get these times. One the way home I had two more attempts, and got a 5.1 and 4.7, which the second is pretty close and are realistic.

white lie
09-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Did you have traction on those first couple?

Stewge
09-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Any one get strange readings from their torque app. I haven't used it for a while and went for a cruise today. I only tried the 0-100 times as the 1/4mile would mean speeding. First run 2.5secs, second run I backed off and got a 3.1.. Wish my car could get these times. One the way home I had two more attempts, and got a 5.1 and 4.7, which the second is pretty close and are realistic.

The 0-100 times are completely derivative figures calculated from estimates. The usual culprit is if you lose traction, the speedo still increases, giving you a dud readout. This is due to the OBD speed being derived from engine RPM (or wheel RPM I think) and not actually from distance travelled over time.

I think they're available more for a bit of fun or curiosity rather than being accurate.

RARASV8
09-07-2013, 05:00 PM
i don't trust mine at all, seeing 50 degrees of timing has lost me.
still good for fixing codes thou. done a few mates.

Garry

steves87
09-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Ian Hawkings says a time will not be recorded if there is wheel spin

Toddler78
09-07-2013, 06:34 PM
done a few mates.

Garry

:love2::limpy::eeeeek::stick:

chocco
09-07-2013, 06:53 PM
I use mine for engine temp and auto temp, just set the alarm thresholds to go off if it gets to hot when I am towing. Thats about all its good for.

RARASV8
09-07-2013, 07:18 PM
:love2::limpy::eeeeek::stick:

i could do you too:whip:

Garry

QldKev
09-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Traction issues would explain it. Now I read it and think about it, it's pretty obvious.

I may have to record it next time for youtube :woot:

bozodos
09-07-2013, 09:04 PM
are any of these compatible with iphone?

jc_sv8
09-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Not without jailbreaking it. Something to do with the bluetooth stack. Don't know about WiFi though.

bozodos
09-07-2013, 10:52 PM
ta - now to decide if I want to invest in a cheap android phone or just bite the bullet and get some Aeroforce gauges!

***VX*R8***
06-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread but thought it would be better than starting another.

I purchased this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-Mini-ELM327-V1-5-Bluetooth-OBD2-OBDII-Car-Auto-Scanner-Android-Torque-Pro-/251298954615?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8295bd77 device to use with Torque Pro on Android.
My phone (S4) can make a Bluetooth connection with the device but the device will not talk to the ecu. The same as described in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni-9lTgx_z8 I have tried it on my 2000 Clubsport and my 2002 WH Statesman with the same results.

So if anyone has bought an ELM 327 for Android from an Australian company/site recently and can confirm their device works properly could you please post a link to the exact one you bought.

Thankyou.

QldKev
06-08-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm using this one (not Australian, just another ebay one)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Vgate-v1-5-Mini-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-Bluetooth-CAN-Scanner-for-TORQUE-ANDROID-/350773353900?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51abb89dac

Works great on my VX LS1, including all the extra codes for the commodore, and even using the high speed interface
and also works on my wifes corolla.

There seems to be another version of it that says "OBD scanner", not sure if it's the same. The one in my link above looks exactly the same as the one I use.

edit: Should add I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2, not that it should make a difference for connecting to the ecu.

white lie
06-08-2013, 06:01 PM
I think it's just luck of the draw. Some work, some don't. My first one did what you're describing so I bought another random one and it works fine

***VX*R8***
06-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Ah ok cool. I'll try another then. Thankyou for replies :)

***VX*R8***
08-08-2013, 04:04 PM
I got another one from Ebay and this one works. I tried to read fault codes in both my cars, one is a 2002 Statesman that had the engine light come on a few nights ago. The other is a 2000 VX Clubsport that has been converted to 6spd manual but still using the A4 pcm and tune so the engine light is on every time I drive it.
When I checked for fault codes with the Torque Pro app it comes up as "no fault codes stored" in both cars.
I would have thought both cars would have stored codes since the engine light has come on in both...

goose202
08-08-2013, 04:23 PM
I haven't had any luck with Torque reading codes either.
I've had CEL associated with oxy sensors and more recently specifically for failed oil pressure sensor. Both times Torque claimed no codes were stored.
I tried a few other apps too, none of them would read the code.
Torque appears to be able to reset the CEL though.

steves87
09-08-2013, 12:37 PM
this may be a dud question, but have you run the scan while the car is running?
ive had similar situations when no code has been found, even though the light is up they seemed to be wiring issues (intermitant).
but i have had the app log a fault code before

goose202
09-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Yeah tried it with the engine running and without.
It had no problems reading real time data, just wouldn't read the codes.

elliot76
17-10-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm using this one (not Australian, just another ebay one)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Vgate-v1-5-Mini-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-Bluetooth-CAN-Scanner-for-TORQUE-ANDROID-/350773353900?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51abb89dac

Works great on my VX LS1, including all the extra codes for the commodore, and even using the high speed interface
and also works on my wifes corolla.

There seems to be another version of it that says "OBD scanner", not sure if it's the same. The one in my link above looks exactly the same as the one I use.

edit: Should add I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2, not that it should make a difference for connecting to the ecu.

Any chance of telling me what settings you used in the Torque app to read the ECU of your VX LS1?

white lie
17-10-2014, 10:26 AM
I didn't need to put any special settings in. Just search and connect to the adaptor

whitels1ss
17-10-2014, 10:34 AM
I didn't need to put any special settings in. Just search and connect to the adaptor

Yeah, I did the same, mine was easy to connect:goodjob:

but be aware many of the units sold on ebay are faulty when they arrive & do not work correctly.

elliot76
17-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I did the same, mine was easy to connect:goodjob:

but be aware many of the units sold on ebay are faulty when they arrive & do not work correctly.

curses eBay with lots of colourful language....will try a new profile incase I screwed up some settings.

Many Thanks

whitels1ss
17-10-2014, 11:27 AM
curses eBay with lots of colourful language....will try a new profile incase I screwed up some settings.

Many Thanks

First... Do the lights go on on the unit when you plug it into the OBDII port?

Next... Do you have the correct pairing code & does your phone find & connect to the unit on the bluetooth search & connect?

Next again... Have you tried pairing & using it on another vehicle? :cheers:

elliot76
17-10-2014, 11:37 AM
First... Do the lights go on on the unit when you plug it into the OBDII port?

Next... Do you have the correct pairing code & does your phone find & connect to the unit on the bluetooth search & connect?

Next again... Have you tried pairing & using it on another vehicle? :cheers:

The power light comes on when connected to the OBD port

The phone is paired and can see the adapter.

Don't have another vehicle to try, my wife unfortunately had a 1999 MX-5 which is port less..poor thing

whitels1ss
17-10-2014, 11:45 AM
The power light comes on when connected to the OBD port

The phone is paired and can see the adapter.

Don't have another vehicle to try, my wife unfortunately had a 1999 MX-5 which is port less..poor thing

:hmmm: I would honestly try to find another car to try plugging it into mate but I think there may be a problem with the unit?

Hey try searching on google

Search things like "(whatever your brand model name is) problems or pairing" etc.

elliot76
17-10-2014, 11:52 AM
:hmmm: I would honestly try to find another car to try plugging it into mate but I think there may be a problem with the unit?

Hey try searching on google

Search things like "(whatever your brand model name is) problems or pairing" etc.

I can get access to a 2007 Lancer this evening...will try that

white lie
17-10-2014, 12:28 PM
My first one would light up but wouldn't pair. Bought another and it works fine on Commodores and an Astra that I tried it on. If it is pairing, I'm not sure the unit is faulty

elliot76
17-10-2014, 03:45 PM
My first one would light up but wouldn't pair. Bought another and it works fine on Commodores and an Astra that I tried it on. If it is pairing, I'm not sure the unit is faulty

You reckon its just not compatible with holdens dodgy codes then?

white lie
17-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Not too sure mate. It should all be the same OBDII stuff.
See how you go with the Lancer, otherwise try a different program/app and see if that works.

black_friday
23-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Bit of a thread dig here but is anyone still using Torque, or anything more recent to suit Commodores?

I just got a ELM327 plug but cant for the life of me get it to connect to the ECU. Car is a VY SS wagon. It pairs to my phone (and tablet) via bluetooth but wont connect. I was convinced it was faulty but plugged it into the wifes Focus and it worked straight away...If anyone has another suggestion I'll give it a crack over the weekend.

Ultimately I'd like a efi live flashscan but I might have to wait until one comes up second hand...

Cheers

white lie
23-03-2016, 07:33 PM
So it worked fine in the Focus but won't play ball in the VY?

whitels1ss
23-03-2016, 07:44 PM
I have used mine on plenty of Commodores & other cars
but I can't get it to work on an Australian built Ford though.

black_friday
23-03-2016, 07:49 PM
So it worked fine in the Focus but won't play ball in the VY?

Yep, connected almost instantly to the Focus. On the commodore it looks like its scanning through baud rates (i forget the terms, theres about 4 and they refer to the obdII language) and never connects...

Phillshz
24-03-2016, 05:02 AM
Yep, connected almost instantly to the Focus. On the commodore it looks like its scanning through baud rates (i forget the terms, theres about 4 and they refer to the obdII language) and never connects...

I still use it. As far as I know only it works on Gen 4 engines, So VZ 6L (L76/98/LS2) and up. It wont do VY`s (Gen 3) don`t know why exactly.
It won`t work on 2004 Corolla, it does work on a 2010 CX-7 but doesn`t pick up everything.

Beware though, torque was showing me two oscillating voltage waves (one for each 02 sensor) so I never suspected anything, but a trip to my tuner for a starting issue showed on EFILIVE a 02 sensor that frequently freeze`s at a random voltage.

Unplugging a 02 and restarting the engine, had torque showing me both 02`s were now not working, reconnected the 02 and it show`s me two different waves again like nothing is wrong but had set a 02 sensor code that wasn`t indicated on the dash, but picked up with a DTC scan with Torque.

So it makes me wonder how it can show me a perfect wave for each pre cat 02 but nothing once one is unplugged, the one that is unplugged should just drop out, where EFILIVE show`s one working and one is essentially dead.

white lie
24-03-2016, 09:07 AM
It might just be the adaptor. The first one I bought didn't work so I bought another cheap one off eBay. Has always worked fine in my VY

Phillshz
25-03-2016, 06:59 AM
It might just be the adaptor. The first one I bought didn't work so I bought another cheap one off eBay. Has always worked fine in my VY.

Oh my bad, so it does work on pre Gen 4`s. It`s been a while but IIRC one or two members couldn`t get it working on VY`s while it worked for me and Choco`s 6L adventra, concluded it only works on Gen 4`s. I`am mistaken.
You can see a lot of info and log also but there is a 1 sec delay from what you see to what it logs and it logs in 1 sec increment`s which is good but can be vague when looking for say eratic timing as it will simply not see it in time.

Woodchukka
25-03-2016, 11:01 AM
I had issues with my VY with Torque but it was the dongle. New dongle and all good.

muli
02-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Supercheap stores have a bosch KTS 340. $14 for scan.

Ive got a ELM27 yum cha BT dongle and with torque app it just shows engine stats. No codes but does reset em

tascalais
30-04-2016, 12:38 PM
I got my obd plug a couple of days ago and purchased the full version of torque. It hooked up fine (password was 1234, not 12345678 as the packaging said but no big drama). I was able to add the extra PID and get the oil pressure gauge up (thanks white lie) but the gauge says NO DATA when the car is running (and other gauges working). Anybody have an idea what to do or what I've done wrong?

>>>tappin from tassie

white lie
30-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Did you manually add it or just add the set of pid's within torque itself? From doing some reading there seems to be a few different ways of getting the same information

tascalais
01-05-2016, 01:15 PM
I added the predefined GM set as you described in the other thread.

>>>tappin from tassie

white lie
01-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Strange that it doesn't work then. Have a bit of a google, there are a few different PID's to get the same thing.
I don't use torque for oil pressure though, got Aeroforce gauges for that. If I get some spare time I might have a bit of a play with it for you

tascalais
01-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Hmm yeah Ill have a bit more of play

>>>tappin from tassie

Woodchukka
01-05-2016, 10:03 PM
I've got it in my head that for a VY the GM oil pressure PID does not work. For EFILive the oil pressure is a calculation that uses the oil pressure sensor voltage. I've had a bit of a search online and can't find the info however I believe the reason why the gauge in Torque doesn't work is that the ecm doesn't ever convert the voltage to a pressure reading. I don't have my dongle (brother in law has it) so I can't even go out and check.

Just found this now from earlier in this thread from Swingtan

"The data for specific PID's is dependent directly on the OS inside the PCM/ECM and requires specific code to get the data. This is not always supported and in cases like the "ODBII Scan Gauge" used by a few here, may not work ever. It's known that custom tunes performed by the HPT suite caused a few of these gauges to stop reporting certain PID data."

white lie
02-05-2016, 09:38 AM
I've got it in my head that for a VY the GM oil pressure PID does not work. For EFILive the oil pressure is a calculation that uses the oil pressure sensor voltage. I've had a bit of a search online and can't find the info however I believe the reason why the gauge in Torque doesn't work is that the ecm doesn't ever convert the voltage to a pressure reading. I don't have my dongle (brother in law has it) so I can't even go out and check.

Just found this now from earlier in this thread from Swingtan

"The data for specific PID's is dependent directly on the OS inside the PCM/ECM and requires specific code to get the data. This is not always supported and in cases like the "ODBII Scan Gauge" used by a few here, may not work ever. It's known that custom tunes performed by the HPT suite caused a few of these gauges to stop reporting certain PID data."

Interesting that the tune can stop it working.
Got me curious now as to why it works with my gauges and possibly not in torque. I'll have a play this afternoon but if it is as ST says then it may be vehicle/tune dependant anyway

tascalais
02-05-2016, 10:22 AM
What is the setup for your aeroforce gauges?
My car has been tuned by pwrls1 before I got it. Perhaps that is why I can't get oil pressure?

>>>tappin from tassie

white lie
02-05-2016, 10:42 AM
They're purely plug and play. Never had to alter the PID's in them. I'll set up torque this afternoon and see if it works straight up. Like you say, may be something in the tune that throws it out.

white lie
02-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Just played around with Torque a few PID's from browsing other forums. This one seems to work and is within 1-2PSI of what my Aeroforce gauges were saying. The 'standard' PID didn't work as well as a few others that I tried.

Add in a custom PID

PID in hex - 22115c
Long Name - call it whatever you want (I just called it Oil Pressure since the one in the pack is Oil Pressure Engine)
Short Name - Oil Press (again, whatever you want to show up in the gauge/display)
Min - 0
Max - 100
Scale Factor - x1
Unit Type - PSI
Equation - (A*0.65)-17.5
OBD Header - Auto

Then just add the display like you normally would.

tascalais
02-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Cheers mate! Will give it a try

>>>tappin from tassie

tascalais
11-05-2016, 12:58 PM
I just got around to trying the custom oil pressure PID. Seems to be working fine. Thanks again white lie!
I'll be able to watch it on the commute home this evening and see how it's behaving.

>>>tappin from tassie

white lie
11-05-2016, 03:54 PM
No worries :)

muli
13-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Bloody legend, worked for me as well on torque :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

tascalais
18-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Ok, next question! I'm now trying to check if my fuel gauge is working as the needle got stuck on 3/4 and won't cone down. I brought up the guage (in torque) called: fuel level (from engine ecu) but it's saying no data. Can you point me in the direction of the custom PID info you found white lie? What a coincidence that the first two PIDs I've needed from torque have a big fat "no data" lol.
....or alternatively, can anyone point Mr in the direction of a fuel gauge trouble shooting thread?

>>>tappin from tassie