PDA

View Full Version : What should i do, i've rolled the guards and tyres are still rubbing

robbo_ve
30-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi

I've currently got a ve ss Ute with 22x10 on the rear and I've already rolled the inner lip as far as i can go with it, my problem is that the rear tryes are rubbing really bad at the moment and has already F***ed a $360 tyre.
The suspension i've got is Xa coilovers in the ute. I'm going to adjust the height on the rear until i think of something to fix my problem.
If anyone as any advice please let me know.

Thanks

quityabitchn
30-04-2011, 08:13 AM
mmm tough one. You may have to get the gaurds modified by a panel beater to fit the massive wheels. The other option (which may not be a good option) is to go for some 20's. good luck

tomholzy
30-04-2011, 08:13 AM
22x10! There's your problem!

heavyduty1340
30-04-2011, 08:20 AM

Bloody rocket science it:confused::confused:

Grennan
30-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Where exactly are you rubbing? Is it that rear bar mount or on the actual guard? Could try some slight camber, but if youre pissed about going through a $360 tyre, that isnt going to be a long term route, youre gonna have to have the guard pulled out a little. They are huge wheels so its not going to be fun.

steve_t
30-04-2011, 09:38 AM
What width tyres are you running? $360 for 22s sounds pretty cheap

robbo_ve
30-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi

Tyre size is 265/30/22 i got the rim package from tempe tyres and have bough a new tyre for $360 to my door delivered.
Brand of Tyre is Hankook.

Yea mate I've rolled the inner lip as far as it will go but i think i might cut the inner guard where it's rubbing on what i have rolled, and where the rear bar joints on the rear panel if u know what i mean.
I will try and put a pic on soon as it will be easier to explain

VYSHSV8
30-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Bloody rocket science isn't it:confused::confused:

:rofl:very true hey Faeds:)

What offset are the rims for starters

macca33
30-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I know that I'll be castigated for even suggesting this, but apart from the rim offset / tyre size factors, you have XA coilovers; so have you ever considered raising the rear end half an inch or so permanently........:hide:

robbo_ve
30-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey i'm going to raise the vehicle a little, I've heard of people getting the rear guards pumped out a little has anyone ever seen all heard about it.
I won't be pumping them out but i'll see a panel beater for it lol.

Xjas
30-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Sounds like you need to pump the gaurds a bit, I did hear somewhere that you can use one of those gaurd rolling tools to pump the gaurd a little while using a heat gun to soften the paint so it doesnt crack but I've never personally seen anyone do it.

What did tempe tyres say about it, did they measure the car before you ordered the wheels to make sure they'd fit properly?

nickh
30-04-2011, 10:26 AM
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=148410

this thread might help you.

robbo_ve
30-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Tempe reckons i wouldn't have a issue with them but i might just raise the height a little until i think of pumping them out i don't want to touch it just in case i stuff it up hahah

robbo_ve
30-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi Nickh

Thanks for that i have a little read on about it and might go that way.

Cheers

VYSHSV8
30-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Tempe reckons i wouldn't have a issue with them but i might just raise the height a little until i think of pumping them out i don't want to touch it just in case i stuff it up hahah

Say's it all doesn't it so they got a sale out of it :):)

TIR33D
30-04-2011, 07:40 PM
What type of wheel? I know speedy actually machine a little of the back of the hub on some wheels with big staggers, mine have been shaved off by 3mm.

lsx 102
30-04-2011, 07:48 PM
They have sold you the wrong rim offset.I have 22x10 with 295 25 22 and they don't rub. You need min 48mm offset. See how much meat is on the wheel,maybe you can get some more machined off them.

6.2L.Club
30-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Geez you put a lot of thought into that answer didn't you :weirdo:

As said, your offset is wrong. I run 22x10 with 295/25s aswell.

Also, if you undo the bolts that hold the top and bottom lateral arms and push the wheel back in, you can get another 2-3mm as there is heaps of slop in the adjusting holes. You will need a wheel alignment after or just get your wheel aligner to do it for you. If they undo the top bolt while weight is on the tyre, the wheel will move in at the top as far as is can go(castor), then get them to adjust the castor by pulling the bottom in until its right.

If the wheels got shipped to you, the offset should be written on the box.

IJ.
30-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Geez you put a lot of thought into that answer didn't you :weirdo:

As said, your offset is wrong. I run 22x10 with 295/25s aswell.

Also, if you undo the bolts that hold the top and bottom lateral arms and push the wheel back in, you can get another 2-3mm as there is heaps of slop in the adjusting holes. You will need a wheel alignment after or just get your wheel aligner to do it for you. If they undo the top bolt while weight is on the tyre, the wheel will move in at the top as far as is can go(castor), then get them to adjust the castor by pulling the bottom in until its right.

If the wheels got shipped to you, the offset should be written on the box.

Camber

"Castor" is the lean back top to bottom of the front strut (think rake on a motorcycle fork) more Castor the more self centering force and more stable at speed but slower to steer.

6.2L.Club
30-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Camber

"Castor" is the lean back top to bottom of the front strut (think rake on a motorcycle fork) more Castor the more self centering force and more stable at speed but slower to steer.

That's the one, slip of the tongue sorry, thanks for the correction :goodjob:

robbo_ve
30-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Hey Everyone

The wheels i have at the moment are Advanti Tourer if i get 5mm machined on the back of the rim which mean's i might be in trouble when i want the rims to clear a 4 pot caliper not to sure on that tho.

I spoke to a panel beater this arvo and for $700 he reckons he'd be able to pump the rear guards out 10-15 mm each side so i might go that way. I also did ask him that i hope it doesn't really look out of place from the front and i was told it won't, so fingers crossed i think.

Thanks for the info 6.2 Club I'll play around with what you have told me first and see how i go.

With the guard pumping i have seen 1tufr8 do this to fit those 24x10 on the rear of his clubsport.

Thanks again boys

Grennan
01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
See if they can also cut out that rear bar mount if you haven't already. They can relocate it so thats no worries and will probably save you headaches later down the track.

Just a question, did you just ask any ol' panel beater? Ive got to do a similar thing with my rear bar mount if I want to lower it again, not confident to do it myself.

robbo_ve
01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
hey mate i asked a person here in Townsville and his the only one that would do it.
I called a few shops and most places didn't want to touch it.
old mate had a vz commodore sedan which he just finished and i have to say it looked pretty good.

HsvCallen
01-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Happend to me Tyres where to big got next size lower problem solved

HsvCallen
01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
was it the front or back also and hows the camber wear

steve_t
01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
hey mate i asked a person here in Townsville and his the only one that would do it.
I called a few shops and most places didn't want to touch it

I believe it's quite hard to do a perfect job of it. IIRC there's quite a reasonable risk that there can be wrinkles left around the guards. It's defo good to see other cars he's done :goodjob:

HsvCallen
01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
my mate has a mint vl and got hes done at a guy homejob hes guards where ruined the guy painted them with whiteout

robbo_ve
01-05-2011, 08:50 PM
there is more wear on the Tyre on the right hand side, meaning drivers side.
The camber doesn't look to bad from what i can tell.
I was trying to upload a pic of it but I'm not to sure on how to go about it. I when into the garage section but its closed at moment.

Currently I've just raise the Ute up on the rear by 10mm and its pretty good at the moment without it not rubbing no where.
I'm going to get my Ute booked in the next week or two to get my problem fixed lol
Thanks for the info guys its been a real big help.

vhsle5ltr
01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I can't believe you are considering pumping the guards and chance what it will end up looking like, without first ensuring that every other option has been tried prior.
Many have said there is an offset problem. 2 guys have said they have big tyres without issues. Take the wheels and tyres back to Tempe and tell them to change the wheels and tyres or you want your money back.

Otherwise, the offset is correct, and you are creating this problem yourself by setting the suspension to stupid low without adjusting camber etc.

It's your money.

cashie
01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
As has been said, get the offset sorted, others here run the same size rims without issue..
Or it is just too low.

robbo_ve
02-05-2011, 06:55 AM
hey mate

No worries I'll call Tempe today and work it out, I've lifted the car up a little yesterday and don't have a issue with it no more, so i think my biggest problem was that it was way to low in the rear.:)

afmss
02-05-2011, 02:52 PM
if you have removed the rear bar mount flange?and still rubbing then your off set is wrong,this is a pic of my 22/10 295 /25 no rubbing
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/opti_photos/102_2122.jpg

robbo_ve
03-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Ok fair enough I'll get onto them straight to see what they can do for me I've only had the wheels for about 2 weeks now.
What is ur off set with those rims
Cheers

afmss
03-05-2011, 07:10 AM
this was the third set of rears before the tyre shop got it right ,not sure what the split is but it s 194 mm from the hub to the inner rim edge
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/opti_photos/102_2506.jpg
this is what it has to be,i also have another set of these wheels goin cheap brand new pm if interested

VYSHSV8
03-05-2011, 07:17 AM
The offset should be written on one of the spokes of the rims you will have the rim size on one spoke and the offset on another. It will be a No like 42 or 48 or something like that

afmss
03-05-2011, 01:13 PM
not with lexanni wheels they come with a large centre hub that you machine down to get the offset you want,all lexanni wheels come the same,note my measure ment is for a 22/10 inch wheel,the 194mm is as far as you can safetly move the rim in, plus or minus a mm.this measure ment is the fail safe way to do it trust me on this ,i went through a lot of pain getting it right.
if your rims are not machinable or come with offset ,check that measurement,at least you will know before you buy.

IJ.
03-05-2011, 01:20 PM
if you have removed the rear bar mount flange?and still rubbing then your off set is wrong,this is a pic of my 22/10 295 /25 no rubbing
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/opti_photos/102_2122.jpg

Awesome fittment with decent size rubber! :goodjob: