PDA

View Full Version : RTA to introduce 40km/h speed limits

Merlin
25-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Yep thats right, news report on the tellie and in the herald today stated that the RTA is introducing 40km/h speed limits to areas which currently have 50km/h zones in NSW. (for those not in NSW, the previous limit was 60km/h). This is to promote "pedestrian safety" and the slogan of "if we can just save one life".

I think you know what my reaction is to this F%$^#*#()!!!!!

As the herald said, Sydney will now have a speed limit that quote "is equivalent to the top speed of an elephant" end quote....... :rolleyes:

ssvyredute
25-05-2004, 08:14 PM
what a faaarkin joke!!!! it`s getting way out of hand, :mad: :mad: next it will be 30 and so on,my 8yo daughter can hit 40 km/h in her electric scooter....

VX2VESS
25-05-2004, 09:19 PM
crap, i think i ride the pushie it will be quicker.

extra fuel, extra pollution, extra traffic jams, extra speeding tickets cause no will go that slow. gov't is after more money from fines prob.

the thing that will be real funny to watch is. some pll will slow from 40 kph around some corners to take it, when 2 years ago thet took it a 60 kph. i hate that

Devil CV8
25-05-2004, 10:00 PM
RTA are NOT introducing 40km/h limits.... They are pushing for them and require the local council to support the 40 zone and pay for new signposting.
So as it is impossible to sway the RTA, make sure your local council knows you are against the lower limit..... 50 is slow enough...40 will mean pulling the auto back to first.....

VooDoo
25-05-2004, 10:21 PM
How about some pedestrian education and some cops picking up Jay walkers who think they can cross anywere and jump in front of cars.

Phido
25-05-2004, 10:26 PM
I can't wait to see Cops pulling over people jogging, 80 year old grand mothers driving electric gophers, a dog running, cyclists, someone on roller blades, a basket ball rolling down a hill, billy carts.

Pedistrians seem to be getting a lot slower. Given that a decent runner can run at ~35 kmph (fastest humans can run faster than 40 kmph) we will soon be travelling slower than running pace in cars. Cars in the last 50 years have been made massively safer, both actively (tyres, abs, suspension, steering, handling, etc) and passively (including pedestrian safety, including bonnets that absorb pedestrian impacts etc)..

Unless you actually just hit people all day long, with out slowing down, I don't see why we need 40 kmph speed limits.

If they want to save one more life, they should take out the hundreads of millions they use to staff the speeding infringment system, and put it into heathcare, science, medicine, etc. You could save thousands, tens of thousands.

Ryzz
25-05-2004, 11:23 PM
As DevilCV8 Said, the RTA is NOT changing the speed limits. However, some councils have requested to and the RTA has said they will help the councils out if need be. The ONLY recommend this in high pedestrian activity areas such as sporting fields, malls, etc.

Get your facts straight before you start a crusade. Otherwise this is going to become another "Lets bitch an moan about speed limits, speed camera, etc" thread with pointless meaning

Drizzt
26-05-2004, 12:35 AM
We've already got them in Vic around school areas with some only 40km between school start and finish hours while others are constant 40km. There was a bloke I read about in the newspaper the other week who got done speeding in a 40km zone about 2am on a Saturday night. He wasn't excessively over the limit but copped it hard still even after atguing that there's no such thing as school in the middle of the night on a weekend.

Drizzt

cutter bob
26-05-2004, 12:55 AM
This is to promote "pedestrian safety" and the slogan of "if we can just save one life".

:

who wants to sacrafic a life to stop this going through

georgec
26-05-2004, 06:45 AM
When the Safety Task Force that speed limits in suburban streets be reduced from 60kph to 50kph they already knew it would do little to reduce pedestrian injuries and deaths. This is because most injuries and deaths occurred in strip shopping centres and near entertainment venues.

chuss
26-05-2004, 09:10 AM
what are you guys complaining about. In good old Adelaide we already have 40 zones in some council areas, and they have speed humps in the same street!! (and not those ones you can do 40 over, you have to actually slow down for em).

I used to live in that area which was a 10-15 min drive to work. I ended up riding my bike into work and getting there in 10 mins.

It is all becoming a joke. Education for drivers and pedestrians will save a lot more lives than making everyone drive slower.
Or perhaps making cars with better equipped brakes...

SSbaby
26-05-2004, 10:02 AM
I want to see facts. How many pedestrians are injured by vehicles travelling at 50km/h in the areas they're proposing to set the new limits?

Ricko
26-05-2004, 10:40 AM
As DevilCV8 Said, the RTA is NOT The ONLY recommend this in high pedestrian activity areas such as sporting fields, malls,

Brings back memories of Waynes World,......"CAARRRR", (moves hockey goals off the road).

Merlin
26-05-2004, 09:09 PM
As DevilCV8 Said, the RTA is NOT changing the speed limits. However, some councils have requested to and the RTA has said they will help the councils out if need be. The ONLY recommend this in high pedestrian activity areas such as sporting fields, malls, etc.

Get your facts straight before you start a crusade. Otherwise this is going to become another "Lets bitch an moan about speed limits, speed camera, etc" thread with pointless meaning

The RTA IS introducing 40km/h speed zones, but the relevant council has to agree to it. RTA WILL pay for all signage. Sure it will start with "high activity" areas but are you really so niave to think they won't try and spread it too everywhere? I'm not prepared to sit back and watch it happen

ssberlina
26-05-2004, 09:18 PM
When will the NSW government realise that the road toll has nothing to do with the speed limit and more to do with the crap roads they are providing.

SSbaby
26-05-2004, 09:26 PM
I think it's about time the government and their agencies explained their actions with meaningful facts behind their proposals before seeking to introduce such measures. I hope that residents vote against this push as they couldn't seriously believe that the few drivers who continually speed will slow because of the new sign posts.

40 km/h in school zones is tolerable in my view but to lower the limit from the current max of 50km/h in all suburban streets provides a much greater opportunity to book motorists who would creep over the limit.

debencha
27-05-2004, 07:11 PM
education,look to the left look to the right and look to the left again'educate the the @#$%& pedestrians'

ScottYPerD
27-05-2004, 09:18 PM
thats absolutly! F-ED im going for my p's tomorow and there is 40 zones everywhere thats is bad man!! how can u keep a car at 40 lol

kogvos
27-05-2004, 09:50 PM
To take this to the extreme, how long will it be before they have a man walking in front holding a red flag as was done in the late 19th centure when 'horseless carriages' started to be introduced.

Kogvos