PDA

View Full Version : Rodeo 3.5 v6

falcon coupe
24-06-2004, 10:14 PM
I have a near new RA rodeo duelcab lt 4wd 3.5 v6, i am interseted to know what sort of fuel economy other owners are getting, i keep a few tools in the back and tow a 6" by 4" tradesman trailor, i am getting 320klm out of a 76lt tank, i think this is a little high, maybe i should have bought an Cross eight to save on fuel !!!
Also i cant seem to find any forum that relates much, or any info on the Rodeo, does anyone know of such a forum ?
cheers Nick.

heavychevy
24-06-2004, 10:47 PM
do a search on google nick, something basic like 'ra rodeo forum' will give you a couple of hits

SLE355
24-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Don't know exact figures but they are heavy on fuel, which is why there are so many on gas.

5.7 Berlina
24-06-2004, 11:07 PM
I have a near new RA rodeo duelcab lt 4wd 3.5 v6, i am interseted to know what sort of fuel economy other owners are getting,cheers Nick.

I have a 2WD 3.5l RA Dualcab LT manual, and although its not loaded up I am averaging a fairly constant 14l/100Kms over the past 4 months using Ultimate fuel. Yours sounds a bit average.

I havn't found much in the way of forums either.

Regards

BLACK 346
24-06-2004, 11:15 PM
I have a near new RA rodeo duelcab lt 4wd 3.5 v6, i am interseted to know what sort of fuel economy other owners are getting, i keep a few tools in the back and tow a 6" by 4" tradesman trailor, i am getting 320klm out of a 76lt tank, i think this is a little high, maybe i should have bought an Cross eight to save on fuel !!!
Also i cant seem to find any forum that relates much, or any info on the Rodeo, does anyone know of such a forum ?
cheers Nick.

Is the trailor empty?

5.7 Berlina
24-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Should mention I also have the Hard Deck lid on the back which probably helps a bit.

300KWCV8
25-06-2004, 09:41 AM
cheers Nick.

Sounds about right with towing a trailer, I have a dual cab with canopy and tools, weighs in at 2100kg without driver and average 400km's/tank, when I put a trailer on it drops dramatically. You should notice though that when you fill it up it you only put in around 68-70 litres (or mine does). Also if your a little bit heavy on the throttle than it will suck it real quick.

I fitted a long range tank 129 litres from ARB so I didn't have to fill it up as much, the best I have got out of that is 790klms which isn't great, but a heavy car, thirsty engine, and a heavy right foot it's not to bad :D

BossV8
25-06-2004, 03:26 PM
I used to have a 2001 V6 Rodeo (3.2) and got 450km out of a tank, empty all the time

I get at least that now or more with a brand new XR8 ute, so the rodeo's are bloody thirsty. Good car though, for a genuine 1-tonner they'd be one of the best

Danv8
25-06-2004, 03:38 PM
I knew they like to drink but I didn't think they drink that much. Might as well get a turbo diesel model instead. It might be slower but the fuel gauage wont move as fast as well.

falcon coupe
25-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Well, thanks for the replys, i failed to mention i have a carryboy canopy with rola roof racks which weighs around 50 kilo as well, i was tossing up whether or not to get a turbo diesel, the were just a little too slow for me, but if fuel was $1 a litre back in last november, i would have gone the diesel for sure. :mad:

Bully
25-06-2004, 04:27 PM
I had a 98 V6 Rodeo and boy didi it guzzle the juice, and that was with no load. Loaded you could forget about economy. And there was no way in the world that thing would carry a tonne - i used to carry soils & mulches in it & when I had about 650 kg in it the springs would be flat. I hope that they have improved since then cause I havent spoken to a single person who is happy with theirs. My VU is a much better workhorse than that thing ever was!!!!!!

seldo
25-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Well, thanks for the replys, i failed to mention i have a carryboy canopy with rola roof racks which weighs around 50 kilo as well, i was tossing up whether or not to get a turbo diesel, the were just a little too slow for me, but if fuel was $1 a litre back in last november, i would have gone the diesel for sure. :mad:
Hey, WTF do you expect? 4WD, tools, trailer, ohh...canopy, ...oh yeah, roof-racks. Did you forget to mention the block of flats on the trailer as well .. ;) That's a fair bit of wind you are pushing aside and a lot of weight, so I guess unless you want to leave some of the gear at home, just cop it on the chin. Also, how many litres are you using out of your 76 availbale? My car has a 75 l tank and after the gauge shows empty, and computer says 0km to empty I can drive for another day and then only add 65 to fill it...

falcon coupe
25-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey, WTF do you expect? 4WD, tools, trailer, ohh...canopy, ...oh yeah, roof-racks. Did you forget to mention the block of flats on the trailer as well .. ;) That's a fair bit of wind you are pushing aside and a lot of weight, so I guess unless you want to leave some of the gear at home, just cop it on the chin. Also, how many litres are you using out of your 76 availbale? My car has a 75 l tank and after the gauge shows empty, and computer says 0km to empty I can drive for another day and then only add 65 to fill it...

A block of flats does not weigh much does it ? :lol:
the thing is, my 97 6 cylinder ford panel van that i traded for the Rodeo used a little less fuel, and had heaps more grunt, it claimed 145 fwkw, the Rodeo claims 147 fwkw, so i thought a twin cam multy valve engine would have around the same power, but use less fuel ?, i was wrong, the panel van must be a lot lighter than the Rodeo, cause it pulled the gear with much less effort, with a motor that claims less power.
I just filled up at 278 klm, it took 55 litres , and i rarely rev it past 4 grand.

Danv8
25-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Just wondering how many k's are the Rodeo's odo ?

Just keep in mind that the Falcon donk is more of a lazy torquer than a zingy egg beater. :-).

The Rodeo engine is a peaky sort of donk so you have to stir it harder to make up for the lack of torque. Don't let the quad cam and multi valves fool ya. I think even a Commode 3800 V6 in a Rodeo would do a better job than the 3.5L donk thats already in it and probably drink less too. But I could be wrong it aint the first time. :-)

debencha
25-06-2004, 05:46 PM
all of the light comercial 4wd v6 things are heavy on fuel,most manufacturers run there vehicles rich in high throttle percentages,when getting ute edited asked mark at pt what his v6 triton was like on fuel.(poor) remember it takes x amount of energy to shift x weight doesn't mater much what you do it with.my work hilux diesel slug get 20-22 mpg mainly open road..

falcon coupe
25-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Just wondering how many k's are the Rodeo's odo ?

Just keep in mind that the Falcon donk is more of a lazy torquer than a zingy egg beater. :-).

The Rodeo engine is a peaky sort of donk so you have to stir it harder to make up for the lack of torque. Don't let the quad cam and multi valves fool ya. I think even a Commode 3800 V6 in a Rodeo would do a better job than the 3.5L donk thats already in it and probably drink less too. But I could be wrong it aint the first time. :-)

Dan it has just kit 11,000 on the odo, i think you are right about the Commodore v6 being better in the Rodeo, my wifes VR wagon has 250,000 klm, and it still pulls very hard.

Danv8
26-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Dan it has just kit 11,000 on the odo, i think you are right about the Commodore v6 being better in the Rodeo, my wifes VR wagon has 250,000 klm, and it still pulls very hard.

Easy do an engine swap! :-)
A mate of mine test drove a new V6 Hi-lux and a Commode V6 converted Hi-Lux and you know which one went the hardest (V6 Commode power). Sometimes I feel sorry for the ol V6 3800 getting crap on all the time. :-)

Forgot to ad a mate of mine dumped in a VN/VP 3800 in his 4runner and it does run now. use to be a 2.8 diesel. :-)

falcon coupe
26-06-2004, 02:45 PM
I have just been to Hallam Perfomance, they quoted a 25kw gain from headers and full system, so better economy should follow a power/torque gain, see what happens ehh.

VL Executive
27-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi Everyone Im new to the forum, Ive been looking at threads here before and when I saw this one I decided to join. :cool:

Anyway, Ive just recently got a 1999 3.2 V6 Rodeo LX single cab trayback, and ive just done a fuel economy test on it. and I got 450 kms to a tank, the fuel gauge was a millimetre off the empty mark, but not low enough for the fuel light to come on. (must've been very close but) If I was game enough I think I would've got about 500 Kms.

They are an excellent ute!. Im very happy with mine. and the V6 has got a fair bit of punch. :D

chevypower
27-06-2004, 02:51 PM
i bet its the short gearing which is doing most of that, put in a 3.23 or 3.45 ratio differential

300KWCV8
28-06-2004, 08:07 AM
I have just been to Hallam Perfomance, they quoted a 25kw gain from headers and full system, so better economy should follow a power/torque gain, see what happens ehh.

What brand of headers and what price did they quote?? Have asked exhaust shops here and they say headers aren't available for them.

falcon coupe
28-06-2004, 09:37 AM
What brand of headers and what price did they quote?? Have asked exhaust shops here and they say headers aren't available for them.

The did not ask for a price, i wanted to know if they were available, the brand is Genie.

VL Executive
09-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Gday all
Sorry to bring up an old thread, But I just did another fuel economy test on my 3.2 V6 Rodeo, and this time I got 500 kms to a tank.

denis5150ita
17-06-2008, 06:19 AM
i've got an 05 RA 3.5L i seem to be the only 1 not saying much about the fuel consumption friends talk about the 350 to 400 km a tank. i usually get better than 500km tray always full of tools . best ive had is 622km and that was normal everyday use towed trailer a few times with that too. i think mine may have been a monday built engine lol

VL Executive
17-06-2008, 07:02 PM
The thread I made my first ever post in is back after 4 years.

Anyway, Still got the Rodeo. Best I ever got out of it was 550 to a tank. Average is about 450 - 500.

falcon coupe
17-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I traded mine for a diesel 2 years ago, best thing i ever did.

vysandman
17-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Anyone who says they are getting 450 + kays out of a petrol Rodeo is either driving like an old woman or playing with themselves. I have an 04 3.5L V6 Auto and get around 370-380 k's and average about 68Ltrs when I top it up (even though they have a 76L tank). I've spoken to many V6 Rodeo owners about their fuel consumption and the ones who aren't trying to justify their purchase will all tell you, you're lucky to get about 400km (in an Auto). My VY SS ute was far more economical. Great litle truck for carrying weight, lousy turning circle, no torque and incorrect gearing for highway driving. I can't believe in 2004 they could have produced a vehicle with such poor fuel economy. With about 27 model variants of Rodeo, they don't even have an Auto 2 wheel drive single cab diesel available. Neither do Ford/Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi or Nissan.
Still have the Rodeo but 18 months ago I bought a VW CADDY, 1.9L TDi 6 speed DSG Auto Van. 77KW 280nm standard, had the oettinger treatment and now has 100kw and 320nm. Towels the V6 Rodeo up in every aspect (except weight carrying capacity) and averages about 780km around the city, thrashing it. Gets about 900 on a trip, all out of 60 Litres. Wish you could tick a 5 Litre TDi option box.

VL Executive
17-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Anyone who says they are getting 450 + kays out of a petrol Rodeo is either driving like an old woman or playing with themselves. I have an 04 3.5L V6 Auto and get around 370-380 k's and average about 68Ltrs when I top it up.

Well, Thats what mine gets. 450 is about the norm for mine, and I dont granny it.

Have had bad times too, where Its only got 350 from a tank. The tankfull Im currently on its guzzled. 330km and the tank is nearly empty. :(

caaf
18-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Sadly it sounds about right plus if you ever get yourself a Etag you may find that they will stick it under the classification of a "commercial vehicle" Stupid I know. As Vito vans (that can carry up and beyond 4 x's more) are classed in the private vehicle. go figue

falcon coupe
18-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Sadly it sounds about right plus if you ever get yourself a Etag you may find that they will stick it under the classification of a "commercial vehicle" Stupid I know. As Vito vans (that can carry up and beyond 4 x's more) are classed in the private vehicle. go figue

Yet an Holden or Ford ute is normall price, duel cabs pay $8 more.

I contacted the transport industry ombudsman on this issue, he said they will only act if they get enough complaints.

So if you feel cheated complain away, details here:

http://www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au/www/html/18-contact-us.asp?intSiteID=1