PDA

View Full Version : Service pit in shed

HYPERSONIC
13-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Im in the process of putting up a shed in my backyard and i was thinking of putting a service pit in the shed floor, has anybody done this previously? or about to do?
Im just wondering if it's worth all the hard work, but i plan on staying here for a while. i honestly don't know about local council rules and reg's but i can guess what they would say.
i helped a mate install one about 8-9 years ago in his shed but he has sold the propety and moved away i really dont know if he got council approval or not.

thoughts......

pagey
13-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I had one (came with the shed).. and ended up filling it in.. just became a pain in the arse.. getting down there.. lighting, power etc.

If you do it - do it right... run power into the pit & have an actual mounted set of GPO's.. also make sure the floor of the pit drians to a low point.. preferably with a drain in it (even into some blue metal underneath would be fine) there is nothing worse than having a pit full of water/oil/general shit with l;ittle or no way to get rid of it. Also if you were to put one in make sure it is big enough to work in.. I.e 2000mm X 1500mm min & 1800 deep... remember you can always stand on a stool - but is a whole lot harder to work on a car crouched down for an hour++ :mad:

Personally knowing what I know now.. and after using my pit.. I would put the associated time and $$ into second hand hoist.

You can get a reasonable hoist for around $2000 - $3000.. considering the time, effort and extra dollars associated with building a pit (even from scratth there will certainly be extra costs with your slab) the hoist is a far better option IMO.. anf far more versatile.

Just my opinion.. and as I said I had to use one that someone else designed/built.. and it certainly wasn't user freindly.

Hopefully this might give you some idea of the pros & cons.. at teh end of the day though.. I guess any pit is better than none.

llucie
13-02-2005, 05:37 PM
If you are going to have a pit , make sure that it is above the water table .
When I was a kid doing my apprenticeship the workshop where I was employed had a service bay that included a pit - working on a vehicle in the pit was like a sentence of hard labor , you froze in Winter and fried in Summer and everything that crawled or slithered ended up in the pit with you . Also great care if you have a vehicle with the engine running whilst you are in the pit , many have died over the years from exhaust gasses accumulating in the pit . A hoist is a far better option IMHO .

ExAreSix
13-02-2005, 06:01 PM
I thought pits were illegal to build now? Ie, approval is not given anymore?
With all this environmental/workplace safety rubbish.

Agree with the hoist suggestion. Pits are a pain in the arse.

LSX-438
13-02-2005, 06:15 PM
any idea on where you should look for a second hand hoist?

HYPERSONIC
13-02-2005, 08:20 PM
thank's pagey for your views,

your proberly wright on the hoist idea, exept i dont think me shed is going to be high enough .i was just thinking the pit idea for future use.
i haven't really got time to be friggin around with it anyway.

me new shed is getting bigger everyday.

Tonner
13-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Go the hoist Hydroponic then you get as high as you want

VX2VESS
13-02-2005, 08:47 PM
shed with a roof high enough for a hoist, get an old one cheap. ah a hoist i love to raise the roof to fit one..

pit imagine pulling a box or diff then having to carry it out of the hole.

hoist is also good if you have a weekend car or special toy. with not much room store the car on the hoist up top and park the daily underneath...

vh-holden
13-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Go the hoist Hydroponic then you get as high as you want

and save the pit for the plantation :p

bluess57
14-02-2005, 08:45 AM
At Summernats 05, saw a vehicle lift/hoist system for at home. Lifted car about 2 foot off ground. They have a website, but can't find it at moment.

IIV8II
14-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Pits suck. Hoists rock!
And ramps are only useful for oil changes

clixanup
14-02-2005, 08:55 AM
any idea on where you should look for a second hand hoist?

The Trading Post always has a good variety. You should be able to get something decent for around $2K.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au

daza
14-02-2005, 09:16 AM
I believe they require a ramp now on one end to allow blast dispersion if you happen to get petrol fumes in there and are unlucky enough to light them. :flame: If you have the room get a hoist. nothing like 2 storey car parking at home :cool:

ssberlina
14-02-2005, 10:09 AM
A word of warning when it comes to pits is ventilation.

Remember that carbon monoxide is heavier than air and will settle to the lowest point and cant be seen or smelled. You just pass out and your dead.

A unventilated pit has resulted in more than one death so be warned.

fatas
14-02-2005, 08:11 PM
i have my own hoist company citywide hoist service 0402272944 dont know if i can advertise here or ihave to pay but i have new and second hand 2 and 4 post hoists or pm me if you want any info happy to help or sell :)

Sonnymad
14-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Pitts are dangerous,get a hiost you will be better off

regards sonny

caseyp
15-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Be carefull with a pit, not only do you need council approval, all power and lighting installed need to comply. Pits are classed as a class one zone one area( hazardous area) and will cost a furtune to install

BlackClubbie
16-02-2005, 01:43 AM
With all this environmental/workplace safety rubbish.

Don't rubbish Australia :-)

IIV8II
16-02-2005, 07:48 AM
do you have a website we could look at?

caseyp
16-02-2005, 08:27 AM
There is no web site, it has to do with australian standards on hazardous areas. You would need to contact an electrical contractor who does work in hazardous areas and get a quote. Light and power outlets and fittings have to be Class 1 zone 1 type. The reason is, vapours are trapped in the pit and lights etc. need to be totaly enclosed with gaskets so the vapour can not enter and ignite.
Even the cables feeding the equipment has to be flame proof. It would need to be pryo or SWA cable. Make sure you get some-one who knows what they are talking about, otherwise you end up with dark burnt frizzy hair, burnt car and garage.

theVman
16-02-2005, 12:47 PM
you will find council wilol be very hard to get a pit thru . .

on top of what has already been discussed you will also have to provide evidence of sump, to drain waste to and explain how you are going to dispose of it . .

you will be required to lodge a waste agreement with council (etc) where they track waste from the pit.

Not worth the hassle for a private application.