PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla VL Commodore?

myles
04-10-2005, 01:35 AM
Came across this on another forum:

GODZILLA VL Commodore with GTR Twin Turbo 4WD
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GODZILLA-VL-Commodore-with-GTR-Twin-Turbo-4WD_W0QQitemZ4578230620QQcategoryZ102240QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

ENGINE
Capacity: 3.1 Litre
Induction: Gibson Motor Sport/EFI
Blower: Twin roller bearing intercooler
Intake Man: Stock
Head: DOHC, 24 valve, RB26
Cams: Gibson Motor Sport
Pistons: Cosworth 8.5
Crank: Nissan Steel
Ignition: Autronic
Exhaust: Three - inch

DRIVELINE
Trans: Skyline GTR
Diff: Skyline GTR front & rear 4.1:1

SUSPENSION & BRAKES
Springs: Ausgroup
Front Brakes: IndyCar, Harrop
Rear Brakes: Skyline GTR

WHEELS
Front Wheels: USCOTT 17x7.5
Rear Wheels: USCOTT 17x8

ORIGINL
04-10-2005, 05:10 AM
this was featured in SM many years ago... its a crazy conversion

and looking closer at the pics, it looks like he has just scanned the pics from the feature..

be interesting to see if it is EXACTLY the same as it was 10 years ago :rolleyes:

MrCLubby
04-10-2005, 06:42 AM
I pity people who actually believe that their pride and joy are worth what they price tag them. In this particular case 50k, someone needs to msg him and tell him that just because he spent 40k on the conversion doesnt mean it will sell for what ever he likes. Making a profit over a car is unlikely unless its a classic, in the end there is always a small or large loss.

Pickles
04-10-2005, 08:49 AM
I don't think you'd buy that car for $50k, I reckon you'd have to pay more!! I saw it many years ago, & it was an unbelievable "WORK OF ART". It was just a beautiful car- the workmanship was as good as I've seen on ANY car. I think it was built by a guy called Peter Hill from Kyabram. There was talk at one stage that Brock was going to drive the car in Targa Tasmania, but it never happened. The electronics on this car were so sensitive that it had little aerials on each corner of the car, to stop signals from power lines etc, interfering with the car's electrics. I haven't seen the car for years, but if it has been kept well, then it would certainly be worth looking at. Make no mistake, those photos do the car no justice at all--the car is SENSATIONAL, if you've ever seen it, you'll know what I mean. From memory, I think another white one was built as well, but it was not quite as good as the silver one. Is Peter Hill still around? Cheers, Pickles.

MrCLubby
04-10-2005, 09:47 AM
So i take it either your selling it or you know the person who is selling it.

YLD57L
04-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Sure it's a work of art and I remember the car from years ago. But the car will only sell for what someone is willing to pay for it. If you had $50k, would you seriously consider buying it?

myles
04-10-2005, 10:48 AM
So i take it either your selling it or you know the person who is selling it.

No. :lol: It was posted last night on another forum (blue oval). Most responses were that of 'to give credit where credit is due' and that 'the guy had put a lot of work into the car'. In other words, it's a unique car. The thread click here (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=22700&page=1&pp=25)

Overall people respected what he did with it. I noticed it's had more than 8000 views in its 10 day listing, so it must be linked all over the place, I'm assuming nissan forums.

If anyone read the previous articles, how well did it drive? And what performance/track figures did he gain?

myles
04-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Found the following from two moderators on another forum commenting on the conversion:

There is nothing there saying that the block is an RB26. The 3.1L capacity leads me/others to think it started as an RB30.
"More to the point RB30s are long stroke SOHC engine and RB26DETTs are DOHC."?
It has a DOHC head from the RB26DETT. There are loads of RB30s with RB26DETT heads.

It has already been established that it is an RB30 with an RB26 head.
A lot of tuners of VLs put an RB26 head on their engine, its pretty common.
THe reason VLs are so popular for tuning is that they ride the wave of Skyline tuners.

RED R8
04-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Awesome car probably worth 25k if he's lucky going by the price of riced up skylines available I would rather have a skyline at least the interior is modern and you can get insurance I would also prefer my mates Ls1 skyline I posted a few weeks back.

plonkerchops
04-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Awesome car probably worth 25k if he's lucky going by the price of riced up skylines available I would rather have a skyline at least the interior is modern and you can get insurance I would also prefer my mates Ls1 skyline I posted a few weeks back.

bit more than just a Skyline Daz, its got all the 4 wheel drive HICAS stuff in it too...your mates have that as well????I know what Id rather be driving....

XLR8 V8
04-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't think anyone's putting down the hard work and effort that's gone into building it. But it's still a 17 year old VL Calais in the eyes of many people.

nikola
04-10-2005, 01:19 PM

Speaking of which, do you have any more info about that car? Any videos? Is it finished yet and whats it like to drive?

Pickles
04-10-2005, 01:43 PM
As I said in my previous post, this is one sensational motor car. But the previous posts concerning the value of the car are correct, TO SOME EXTENT. You would really have to see this car to appreciate how good it is. I believe it has a lot of Gibson Motorsport stuff in it. I can remember that when we first saw the car we marvelled at the beautiful workmanship, & skill, that had gone into the creation of this car-- and yes, back then, the question was asked as to how the owner of the car would get his money back, & why you would build such a car. One of the thoughts we had was that, because of the car's very unique & complex nature, you would want to have plenty of knowledge & skill to fix it, if anything went wrong. I've got no idea who owns the car now, or where it is, or what its performance was, but I can tell you, that if looks & quality engineering count for anything, the car is a winner. Cheers, Pickles.

nikola
04-10-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm just going to paste what I wrote about this car on another site:

The 4WD suspension and components that were lifted straight from the GTR weren't ever made to go into a VL. A team of highly paid Nissan professionals spent thousands of hours honing everything at the Nurburgring in order to make the GTR work as a complete package. I doubt whoever made this car spent more than a spin around the block making sure the wheels don't rub the guards. Let alone make sure there is even tyre wear, a perfect mix of understeer & oversteer, balanced brake force distribution, etc.

Nevermind the fact that the GTR bodyshell is 100 times stiffer than a VL's.

This car is a novelty and would be left in the dust around corners even by a stock GTR. :D

Nursing_Mother
04-10-2005, 03:02 PM
I would swap that VL for my One Tonner but i met my ex when i had my VL turbo and i am not gonna risk lightning striking twice..

plonkerchops
04-10-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm just going to paste what I wrote about this car on another site:

The 4WD suspension and components that were lifted straight from the GTR weren't ever made to go into a VL.
NO!!!! youre pulling my leg.... :confused: you sure on that Nikky?

I doubt whoever made this car spent more than a spin around the block making sure the wheels don't rub the guards. Let alone make sure there is even tyre wear, a perfect mix of understeer & oversteer, balanced brake force distribution, etc.Nevermind the fact that the GTR bodyshell is 100 times stiffer than a VL's.
so you reckon a guy who spends this sort of money ( and GTR's running gear would have been worth a pretty penny back then when this was built ) and time for that matter would just shove the gear of what was/is one of the worlds best handling cars of its time into another car without taking into consideration the engineering side of it ...?? just like dropping a red motor into Landrover perhaps???

This car is a novelty and would be left in the dust around corners even by a stock GTR. :D
Well I think it'd do very well for itself...I think its one of the best modified cars Ive seen for some time...the only thing I agree on is that its probably a little pricey,

can you tell us the site that you cut and paste this from....Id like to see what other peoples reactions to it are ....

RED R8
04-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Speaking of which, do you have any more info about that car? Any videos? Is it finished yet and whats it like to drive?
Yes the car is all done and is daily driven it was at the recent perth AME show drives handle's and stop's like you wouldn't believe it has a cam and head job making 420rwhp and saw it today its got a harrop inlet manifold and throttle body going on should be good for 450rwhp in a light car should run high 10's we will find out soon as we plan a night at the strip and next wednesday we will be at the AHG track in perth so the skyline will be getting a caining. :D

Martin_D
04-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I would swap that VL for my One Tonner but i met my ex when i had my VL turbo and i am not gonna risk lightning striking twice..

Maybe if you buy the VL you can rekindle the flame :)

nickh
04-10-2005, 04:45 PM
All there seems to be is rumour and i heard from the guys who does the lawn next door to his sisters bfs mum..

Now show some respect guys. The car was built by one of the Head/Lead engineers of Fred Gibson’s GTR racing team. More than 1500 custom parts were made to suit the GTR running gear into the VL Shell not to mention that the shell started off as a HSV SV88 Calais which was stolen and recovered and turned into the car you see now..

It is a piece of art and shows a level of engineering that even today is not very often seen and for those that have seen the car in real life the fabrication skill level is so high it would leave many of you breathless...

This car was built with the experience and skill and knowledge that took the Fred Gibson racing team to the top in Touring cars.and even today this car would outperform many what we would consider fast and expensive cars.

To give you a real understanding of what work was carried out on this era of Nissan GTR Motor and remember this is back in 1990-1992

Read this
http://www.overflow.250x.com/Obakemono%20Downunder.html

I hope this helps and if I had the money this would be a car I would buy in a heart beat. To say this is nothing but a 17 year old VL would be sad indictment and poor understanding and disrespect of engineering prowess that was in many cases 10 -15 years ahead of its time .

YLD57L
04-10-2005, 04:55 PM
I am not dis'ing the car by any means. Just saying the second hand car market can be harsh on these type of cars.

sikhabib
04-10-2005, 05:07 PM
why didnt the guy just buy a skyline instead of tring to build one with the wrong shell.

I know its cool to have a custom/unique car but to spend that much time and effort on a car is a waste

Daz_R8
04-10-2005, 06:34 PM
No doubt that this is a well engineered and insanely quick car.

$50,000......... :confused: probably a bit over the top.

given the quality of the running gear I reckon 30,000 is more the mark.

RED R8
04-10-2005, 06:44 PM
The citreon (spelling)and leyland p76 were also works of art and engineering marvel's.

XLR8 V8
04-10-2005, 07:14 PM
To say this is nothing but a 17 year old VL would be sad indictment and poor understanding and disrespect of engineering prowess that was in many cases 10 -15 years ahead of its time .

If you re-read my post you'll see that I didn't say it was NOTHING but a 17 year old VL, simply that even with all the work involved, people still see a VL Calais with a minimum $50K pricetag and go :eek: - As can be seen on some replies on a few forums, there are indeed a lot of people with this initial reaction.

The guy has done himself no favours in the sale by putting such crap photos on an ebay ad when there's such a hefty asking price.
He also makes no mention of the type of turbos other than "twin roller bearing" and the size and type of intercooler (air to air? aftermarket?)
People in the market for this type of car would want to know specs, specs and more specs - a lot more than the ad contains.
A dyno graph showing the vehicles AWD output wouldn't have hurt either.

moose
04-10-2005, 07:37 PM
The citreon (spelling)and leyland p76 were also works of art and engineering marvel's.

Hey, leave the mighty P76 out of this, it was an engineering masterpiece and it was way ahead of it's time, and it was just misunderstood, and ... ahh forget it. :rolleyes:

I have to agree that this VL is probably a masterpiece, but it is still a 90ish model drivetrain in an 87 model car that wasn't built to be 4wd. $50000 plus seems a bit keen.

HRT 8
04-10-2005, 09:58 PM
This car was built by Peter HILL and is still owned by him.
I was only speaking with his son in law only last week about a price.
To see it in the flesh is something else. To ride in it is even better.

I can get some more up to date photos if anybody is genuinely interested.

plonkerchops
04-10-2005, 10:24 PM

you have actually ridden in it? I was blown away when it first appeared and it still makes me salivate now....Id certainly like to see some more piccies :):)

nikola
05-10-2005, 08:34 AM
NO!!!! youre pulling my leg.... :confused: you sure on that Nikky?

Now that's a pretty silly response. You sound like someone offended by my comments if you're going to nit pick such an obvious statement.

so you reckon a guy who spends this sort of money ( and GTR's running gear would have been worth a pretty penny back then when this was built ) and time for that matter would just shove the gear of what was/is one of the worlds best handling cars of its time into another car without taking into consideration the engineering side of it ...?? just like dropping a red motor into Landrover perhaps???

Are you seriously telling me that whoever made this car put in as much effort as Nissan did way back when they designed the GTR?? :lol:

Well I think it'd do very well for itself...I think its one of the best modified cars Ive seen for some time...the only thing I agree on is that its probably a little pricey,

Pricey, you think? :rolleyes:

nikola
05-10-2005, 08:37 AM
To see it in the flesh is something else.

I don't get it. What's so special about seeing it in the flesh? The body is, literally, stock VL with big wheels. You see cars like that all the time.

seldo
05-10-2005, 08:40 AM
I don't get it. What's so special about seeing it in the flesh? The body is, literally, stock VL with big wheels. You see cars like that all the time.
You'd probably call a Formula 1 car, just another go-kart...

Ryzz
05-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Just forget it mate, some people (like you) will just see it as a VL, where other people can admire it for the work of art it obviously is. I myself take my hat off for what is an engineering piece of work and would make an awesome toy, just to have something so unique and so different.

HRT 8, if you have some pictures of this car, id love to see them.

nikola
05-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Just forget it mate, some people (like you) will just see it as a VL, where other people can admire it for the work of art it obviously is.

Fair enough.

Pickles
05-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Well, for an old guy, my memory must be reasonable, as it turns out that what I said in my first post (no 4) is true--this car was built by Peter Hill--I had a feeling he might have had some connection with HDT (Brock) at one stage as well. It is pleasing to see that some people on this site have seen, or know the car, & can give some idea what it's like. For those of you "doubting thomases" that have not seen this amazing car--all I can say to you is that you will have absolutely no idea what this car is like, & particularly the quality of the workmanship, until you see it. One thing though, I've never seen it driven in anger, so as the saying goes, "I'd like to see that"! Has anyone got any information on power output, or any other performance related info? Cheers, Pickles.

2001 ITR
05-10-2005, 10:35 AM
$50K Aus - That is what some of the import companies are asking for Autech (factory) converted R33 Skyline Sedan GTR and R34 Skyline Wagon GTRs. Note that these are pretty rare 4 wheel drive RB26 engined versions.

Examples:
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=2688
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/2781

P.S. I’ve seen an ex-Group A R32 GTR competing in sprints and the thing was awesome (quick everywhere and the workmanship on the car was great)

plonkerchops
05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Now that's a pretty silly response. You sound like someone offended by my comments if you're going to nit pick such an obvious statement.:
yes thats right Nikky , it was supposed to be a silly response...to state the bleeding obvious that 'The 4WD suspension and components that were lifted straight from the GTR weren't ever made to go into a VL.'....well no shit sherlock :rolleyes: ...Im not offended , not my car , just really surprised no amazed that peoples opinions of it are just a VL with 4WD... Geez it hasnt got a Landcruiser chassis bolted under it ....

Are you seriously telling me that whoever made this car put in as much effort as Nissan did way back when they designed the GTR?? :lol: .:.

well Nikky..its been said that the guy was head engineer of Gibson Motor sport...if thats the case do you think he just might know just a tiny bit about how a GTR is put together??? and had just maybe used that experience to build this? As for body rigidity....well do you think that maybe that once apon a time VL's used to be raced...you think that they didnt strengthen the shells and this guy didnt do the same thing ?, theres some pretty bright people out there mate, they dont all work for Nissan...

Ryzz
05-10-2005, 12:30 PM
well Nikky..its been said that the guy was head engineer of Gibson Motor sport...if thats the case do you think he just might know just a tiny bit about how a GTR is put together???
Dont forget that Gibson Motorsport was responsible for building the "Your all a pack of assholes" Winfield R32 GTR that blitzed the Sierras and everything else it was up against.

RED R8
05-10-2005, 12:54 PM

I would like to see more pic's of this car please I remember seeing it in the mags many years ago and as I young fella It made me touch myself I holehearted agree this car is a work of art but would you take $50,000 and give it to the owner No it is just another project car that alot of passion and money has gone into to produce a oneoff masterpeice in which its true value will only be seen by the owner or an enthusiast with to much $$$$.

ShanghaiVZ
05-10-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't doubt this VL isn't a work of art, amount of time and money put into, why wouldn't it, but 50k geez..as someone said, classics make money, and classics alone, and a VL calais is not a classic (except for HDT/Brock) for 50k most ppl can pay a big chunk off their mortage, or have a substantial deposit for a house. I know what I'd be doing.

nikola
05-10-2005, 04:51 PM
As for body rigidity....well do you think that maybe that once apon a time VL's used to be raced...you think that they didnt strengthen the shells and this guy didnt do the same thing?

Mate, I'm not seeing a rollcage or even a strut brace. The VL body is renowned for being one of the weakest of all time.

AND STOP CALLING ME NIKKY! :mad: :mad: :mad:

plonkerchops
05-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Mate, I'm not seeing a rollcage or even a strut brace. The VL body is renowned for being one of the weakest of all time.

Well Im sure the guy knows what hes on about..and the car is top notch...

AND STOP CALLING ME NIKKY! :mad: :mad: :mad:

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :cool: :booty: wondering how long it'd take

anyway enough of this , I think its been done to death now and we've all said our piece

Zero5
06-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Guys - Can also confirm that the car was built by Peter Hill (I used to live in the same town). Peter did work for HDT in the early 80's building both road and race cars for Brock. I've also seen the car in the flesh. It's engineering and build quility is simply stunning.

Those people saying it's just another VL obviously have no idea about the unbelievable detail and re-engineering that has gone into this car. Is is worth $50k? Who knows, if the right buyer is out there it could be worth more. It's so hard to put a price on something like this.

One things is for sure - you would have a truly unique car.

Pickles
06-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Guys - Can also confirm that the car was built by Peter Hill (I used to live in the same town). Peter did work for HDT in the early 80's building both road and race cars for Brock. I've also seen the car in the flesh. It's engineering and build quility is simply stunning.

Those people saying it's just another VL obviously have no idea about the unbelievable detail and re-engineering that has gone into this car. Is is worth $50k? Who knows, if the right buyer is out there it could be worth more. It's so hard to put a price on something like this.

One things is for sure - you would have a truly unique car.
SPOT ON. Cheers, Pickles.

Birdman426
03-01-2012, 09:31 PM
I can also say there were 2 of these cars built by him. A guy from Newcastle that owned a tuning shop in Cardiff that used to work on my VL had a white one that was built by the same guy. All the GTR running gear including 4WD setup.

dgp
03-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Mate, check out the date on this thread....2005