PDA

View Full Version : wiring a monster tacho

rowa
30-01-2006, 09:36 PM
i own a vt gen 3 and am trying to wire up my tacho but i cant find the main ignition box. can anyone help me

Devil CV8
30-01-2006, 09:57 PM
If your eyesight is so bad you need a monster tacho you shouldn't be on the road...

jona
30-01-2006, 10:32 PM
gday mate
how bout if u have nothing constructive to add then maybe u should keep your criticism to yourself.after all this forum is about helping people.
ROWA, i live just down the road in secret harbour, PM me and i can help u install it this weekend if u want, ive done plenty

cheers
matt

bobbyvtls1
31-01-2006, 12:40 PM
and take pics and put it up for the rest of us

LS1UTE
31-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Im looking at putting a stand alone shift light (autometer) in as i think the standard tacho will do me fine, can i just splice into the tacho feed wire ? from memory i thought there was something else you needed.

BigFella
31-01-2006, 01:48 PM
doesnt it come with a tacho from factory? why would u need 2 tachos?

Devil CV8
31-01-2006, 04:23 PM
gday mate
how bout if u have nothing constructive to add then maybe u should keep your criticism to yourself.after all this forum is about helping people.
ROWA, i live just down the road in secret harbour, PM me and i can help u install it this weekend if u want, ive done plenty

cheers
matt
a monster tacho is rice, pure and simple.(unless it is for poor eyesight) This forum isn't fast and furious and rice mods:rofl: :rofl: will get the derision they deserve.

LS1UTE
31-01-2006, 04:26 PM
a monster tacho is rice, pure and simple.(unless it is for poor eyesight) This forum isn't fast and furious and rice mods:rofl: :rofl: will get the derision they deserve.

The standard VY SS tacho goes to 7000rpm, what do you do then if you build a motor capable of revving past that ?
Mine makes power to 6900rpm so im not far off running off the tacho.

Gareth@Willall
31-01-2006, 08:38 PM
The standard VY SS tacho goes to 7000rpm, what do you do then if you build a motor capable of revving past that ?
Mine makes power to 6900rpm so im not far off running off the tacho.

And you must ask.... how accurate is a holden tacho @ 7k :eyes:

LS1UTE
31-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Yes. Wouldnt you rather a tacho that was accurate. But i guess thats what rev limiters are for anyway :lol:

abi
02-02-2006, 03:23 PM
I'd like to fit a shift light in the centre air vent and would also like to know where to splice into the tack wire (preferably inside the car but perhaps off the PCM if need be).

Any ideas appreciated.

P.S. VZ SV8

Cheers.

ProVK
02-02-2006, 03:40 PM

You ever driven a car at the strip with a full face helmet and tried to see the factory in dash tacho, you have to actually mve your head down too see the cluster as the helmet blocks the vision.

So the monster tacho up on the pillar is not a ricey mod, yes some people like them just for the looks, but i know myself i have mine on the pillar for better vision when racing with a full faced helmet.

Devil CV8
02-02-2006, 04:27 PM
You ever driven a car at the strip with a full face helmet and tried to see the factory in dash tacho, you have to actually mve your head down too see the cluster as the helmet blocks the vision.

So the monster tacho up on the pillar is not a ricey mod, yes some people like them just for the looks, but i know myself i have mine on the pillar for better vision when racing with a full faced helmet.
fair enough... maybe I'm using the steroetype of a 18yo with a sweet vt being a typical looks, not performance. apologies if I've offended.

rowa
02-02-2006, 10:55 PM
fair enough... maybe I'm using the steroetype of a 18yo with a sweet vt being a typical looks, not performance. apologies if I've offended.

yeah mate but it pull 300 horses so haha

clixanup
03-02-2006, 08:42 AM
So its stock then?

markone2
03-02-2006, 08:57 AM

Just splice into the under car neons

rowa
03-02-2006, 07:43 PM
i got my tacho wired up to my gen 3 but it is reading the wrong rpm. eg. 2000 on dials is 1000 on tacho. help please

rowa
03-02-2006, 07:51 PM
no not really just got the standard mods for now

HRT Stroker
03-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I havemerged your tacho threads rowa.

Dont start two thread on virtually the same topic please!!

abi
03-02-2006, 08:22 PM
This thread has turned to S#$t as has all the other Tach related ones. If no one has anything constructive, p&*s off!

Again, anyone know where to locate a Tach signal wire in the under dash area or engine bay?

I too wish to focuss more on other things while shifting my 6 speed at the track with a helmet on at night. I only want to install a shift light in an air vent so no 'rice' here.

Cheers

BLOWN_VXSS
03-02-2006, 09:46 PM
This link might give you some info or a start anyway.
I haven't done it but would be interested in getting it done.

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=44426&highlight=shift+light

DaveHAT
06-02-2006, 07:12 PM
And you must ask.... how accurate is a holden tacho @ 7k :eyes:

To follow on from Gareths comment, can anyone answer how accurate the Holden tacho is (i.e VT/VX/VU in particular) ? :hmmm:

I've searched and found some a few vague references but nothing conclusive to answer this definitvely. I ask this as I find my tacho reads "slow" i.e with the limiter set at 6300rpm, it is hitting the limiter according to the tacho dash reading @ around 5600-5800rpm. Anyone else found this problem?

If so, is there a way to correct this either through the PCM or via the dash?

Thanks.

Azza
06-02-2006, 07:21 PM
To follow on from Gareths comment, can anyone answer how accurate the Holden tacho is (i.e VT/VX/VU in particular) ? :hmmm:

I've searched and found some a few vague references but nothing conclusive to answer this definitvely. I ask this as I find my tacho reads "slow" i.e with the limiter set at 6300rpm, it is hitting the limiter according to the tacho dash reading @ around 5600-5800rpm. Anyone else found this problem?

If so, is there a way to correct this either through the PCM or via the dash?

Thanks.
What does your digital display show to your needle display in the hidden functions?

DaveHAT
06-02-2006, 07:26 PM
What does your digital display show to your needle display in the hidden functions?

No idea Azz. How do I find these hidden functions?

jona
06-02-2006, 07:58 PM
i got my tacho wired up to my gen 3 but it is reading the wrong rpm. eg. 2000 on dials is 1000 on tacho. help please

gday mate
you should have 3 wires at the bak of your tacho that u cut according to the specs of your engine, ie 4, 6, 8.
read the instructions and see what colours have to be cut for 8cyl and check your tacho...odds are the wrong one has been cut!

BLOWN_VXSS
07-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Tiger SS

I saw info on this a while back

Diagnostic Mode for Trip Computer
(Press and hold 'mode' and 'up' button while turning ignition to on position)

FOR THE SINGLE WINDOW:
The following is the data list that will appear on the LCD display each time the Mode button is pressed in diag mode.
Initial Display = Dash Software Date - e.g. 980729
Press Mode = Dash Part Number - e.g. 1731
Press Mode = Mode Switch Voltage - e.g. BV - - - 5.0
Press Mode = Battery Voltage - e.g. V 11.8
Press Mode = Petrol Sender Voltage - e.g. FUEL 02.6
Press Mode = LPG Sender Voltage - e.g. VL 5.0
Press Mode = Remaining Fuel - e.g. 38L
Press Mode = Instantaneous Fuel (Liters per Hour) - e.g. 12.8 L/H
Press Mode = Engine Coolant Temp - e.g. 63 C
Press Mode = Vehicle Speed - e.g. 45 KM/H
Press Mode = Tachometer - e.g. 2380
Press Mode = Park Lamps Switch - e.g. P OFF
Press Mode = Dash Trouble Codes - e.g. t 00 (Press up/down to scroll through any codes, these are not PCM, ABS, etc codes)
Press Mode = Dash Test - All gauges will move, lights will come on and buzzer will sound.
To exit this diagnostic mode press both Up & Down buttons, or simply turn the ignition off.

I have the scangauges and find the factory gauges to be slow responding and not 100% accurate, mind you this diagnostic mode readout is ok.

DaveHAT
07-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Tiger SS

I saw info on this a while back

Diagnostic Mode for Trip Computer
(Press and hold 'mode' and 'up' button while turning ignition to on position)

FOR THE SINGLE WINDOW:
The following is the data list that will appear on the LCD display each time the Mode button is pressed in diag mode.
Initial Display = Dash Software Date - e.g. 980729
Press Mode = Dash Part Number - e.g. 1731
Press Mode = Mode Switch Voltage - e.g. BV - - - 5.0
Press Mode = Battery Voltage - e.g. V 11.8
Press Mode = Petrol Sender Voltage - e.g. FUEL 02.6
Press Mode = LPG Sender Voltage - e.g. VL 5.0
Press Mode = Remaining Fuel - e.g. 38L
Press Mode = Instantaneous Fuel (Liters per Hour) - e.g. 12.8 L/H
Press Mode = Engine Coolant Temp - e.g. 63 C
Press Mode = Vehicle Speed - e.g. 45 KM/H
Press Mode = Tachometer - e.g. 2380
Press Mode = Park Lamps Switch - e.g. P OFF
Press Mode = Dash Trouble Codes - e.g. t 00 (Press up/down to scroll through any codes, these are not PCM, ABS, etc codes)
Press Mode = Dash Test - All gauges will move, lights will come on and buzzer will sound.
To exit this diagnostic mode press both Up & Down buttons, or simply turn the ignition off.

I have the scangauges and find the factory gauges to be slow responding and not 100% accurate, mind you this diagnostic mode readout is ok.

Cheers muchly for that.
Gave it a try this arvie & found the same, digital tacho readout confirms accurate as per the rev limiter setting & analogue/needle tacho to be slower (much) in reacting.

Digital tacho reading was reading 6300rpm with the beloved bop, bop, bop going off in the background whilst tacho needle was about 5800rpm.

Weird.

jsttry
09-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Is this the brown wire that a few people have suggested in other threads to use as the tacho source?
http://www.mrjj.net/hosted/pics/tachowiring.jpg

jsttry
09-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Answered my own question, that is not the right wire. The wire is a red/brown striped wire that is at the back of the cluster.

YIIR8
10-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Answered my own question, that is not the right wire. The wire is a red/brown striped wire that is at the back of the cluster.

Did you end up going with that 14" sik tacho you was talking about jsttry ??:p

jsttry
10-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Of course mate ;) Stands out from miles away :P