PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Fillers on the utes.

Fridgy
22-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Is it just me or is it strange that the ute dont get a lockable fuel cap?
They have the technology, how hard would it be?
With the price of fuel, it could be tempting for some low life to syphon it out, or worse still throw contaminants into the tank.
Any thoughts?

Cheers Fridgy

V8torana
22-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I was under the impression, from speaking to a dealer about this, that the ute's fuel filler acts like a one way valve thus making it difficult/impossible to syphon fuel out, therefore not needing a lockable fuel cap.

I could be wrong!!!!!

chris
22-03-2006, 09:25 AM
I have wondered about this too,and only a coupleof day's ago saw a lockable cap on nvu's site for $41.So for peice of mind i will get one.

chris

pirate
22-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I too would like to know if anyone has modified it to a sedan filler cap or the like.
I purchased one of those lockable caps but it is a pain in the A#$E.

2inch
22-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Lockable caps are only about $25 at super cheap autos, and yes they are a pain to use. I'm sure you could do the conversion to remote flap, but does it really bother you that much?

57FAT
22-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I saw the sedan conversion on a Crewman a few weeks ago. The bloke said that he had purchased the parts ( lever, cap and cable) genuine for about $120 and fitted it up himself. It looked as factory as you could get.

pirate
22-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I saw the sedan conversion on a Crewman a few weeks ago. The bloke said that he had purchased the parts ( lever, cap and cable) genuine for about $120 and fitted it up himself. It looked as factory as you could get.

Sounds like the go then.

VU_SS_UTE
22-03-2006, 01:47 PM
I was under the impression, from speaking to a dealer about this, that the ute's fuel filler acts like a one way valve thus making it difficult/impossible to syphon fuel out, therefore not needing a lockable fuel cap.

I could be wrong!!!!!

You can syphon VS SIII utes as the old mans got done the other night. So unless things have changed...

V8torana
22-03-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't know about the VS III all I know is VU onwards are like this.
Or so I was told by the dealer

Goanna
22-03-2006, 02:48 PM
QIKMIK here is ACT just got some knocked off out of His VT2 over the weekend, and he was pretty pissed off about it! I thought that it was not easy but they managed about 30 odd litres we think.

Nursing_Mother
22-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Is it just me or is it strange that the ute dont get a lockable fuel cap?
They have the technology, how hard would it be?
With the price of fuel, it could be tempting for some low life to syphon it out, or worse still throw contaminants into the tank.
Any thoughts?

Cheers Fridgy

Mate it gets even better with a One Tonner.....we dont even have a fuel flap and Holden still thought a non-lockable cap would be adequate

barcode
22-03-2006, 03:06 PM
correct me if im wrong but isnt the shape of the filler cap different between sedan and ute different
when i tried holden they have different part no.s and they come in black which you then have to get painted anyway
i have also been looking at some way of guarding against theft and have even tried sourcing an aircraft style filler cap but cannot find one large enough to cover the existing hole

if someone knows of how the aircraft style is fitted let me know as i have seen pics of vy with one and like the style - no not ricey just different

uncle
22-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Ya I have been thinking the same thing myself.The sedan convert seems the way to go.
I can tell you 100% that you can syphon them.(by them I meen all curent cars/utes) Because it was common practice in the auction house I used to work for.If a car came in with a full tank the guys in the mech shed would syphon it to 1/2 or 1/4 of a tank and use the fule in other cars with no gas in the tank.We would often have upto 450 to 500 cars pass though in a week so it just was not worth putting $5 in all car that had less than a 1/4 of a tank as it would run up to big $$$$ every year for what they could do for no cost.

57FAT
22-03-2006, 03:15 PM
The cap I saw on the Crewman looked factory as stated previousley, it may be different to the ute but I think it's the same. The racer style caps do look the goods, earls do a version but it is flat, not sure if it can be curved successfully.

uncle
22-03-2006, 03:25 PM
correct me if im wrong but isnt the shape of the filler cap different between sedan and ute different
when i tried holden they have different part no.s and they come in black which you then have to get painted anyway
i have also been looking at some way of guarding against theft and have even tried sourcing an aircraft style filler cap but cannot find one large enough to cover the existing hole

if someone knows of how the aircraft style is fitted let me know as i have seen pics of vy with one and like the style - no not ricey just different
I could check my Roadbikes if you like?
But there Flat and there is no way you can bend them so it would look abit out of place.

57FAT
22-03-2006, 03:29 PM
I just checked out the Earls site and I agree with you, the fit would look awkward at best.

danielbr
22-03-2006, 04:08 PM
That explains my crappy fuel economy-someone could be taking it.

Just as easy to pinch fuel as it is to take the spare on the utes.:doh:

02vxss
22-03-2006, 04:49 PM
statesman lockable cap works well on my dads ute...

planetdavo
22-03-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm pretty sure the wagon profile will fit the utes. Bear in mind though that the cover is only plastic. If someones wants your fuel, it doesn't take much effort to snap them off. The lockable caps might be more time consuming, but being a pain is probably pushing things a bit for 5 seconds extra work, and they do provide more security...

Chris52
22-03-2006, 09:52 PM
When I bought my crewie and got the run-through with the dealer, it was then I noticed no lockable petrol cap:vpo: . SO I got a lockable one from parts straight away and put the non lockable one in the glovebox as a spare. Well I have gone back to the original cap three times in twelve months as the lockable peices of shit keep malfunctioning,ie;something stuffs up inside the actual cap and ends up leaking fuel after a fillup.The cap does still lock but does'nt seal properly. Luckily first two have been replaced under warranty, however I might ask for my money back when I give them the latest casualty.
The sedan version as mentioned earlier sounds the goods if it is a simple changeover. Anyway my rant is now over.

Cheers

Chris.

planetdavo
23-03-2006, 06:20 AM
SO I got a lockable one from parts straight away and put the non lockable one in the glovebox as a spare. Well I have gone back to the original cap three times in twelve months as the lockable peices of shit keep malfunctioning,ie;something stuffs up inside the actual cap and ends up leaking fuel after a fillup.The cap does still lock but does'nt seal properly. Luckily first two have been replaced under warranty, however I might ask for my money back when I give them the latest casualty

I'm wondering if you actually got one specifically listed for the Crewman filler neck, or just got one of the other model ones that are "they're all the same mate"....
Could be your problem, as CPC caps do not have this many problems with their manufacture, and they make Holden's.
Do you have the part number you bought so I can check compatability?

OzJavelin
23-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Unless you get habitually siphoned, I'd stick to the original cap .. I'd be more worried about them destroying the plastic cover, the cap and the surrounding sheetmetal (eg. using a screwdriver or prybar) to get a locking cap off.
BTW: The last time I saw someone attempt to siphon fuel was in the eighties from my Dad's '57 Chevy .. funny seeing the guy standing in the driveway with the jerrycan and hose trying to find the fuel filler!! (its behind the chrome on one of the fins)

aperfectcircle
23-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Here on this web site-

http://www.quig.com.au/

They have got the fuel cap conversion.
Price is - $325.00

I did ask them a question on how they do this, what parts are required.
Was just going to get the parts and do it my self.

I got this email back-

"The fuel cap release is the same as a sedan release system. If you wish to know how it is fitted your welcome to call our factory and talk with one of our factory staff. Phone 07 55320032"

I havn't called them yet.

aperfectcircle
23-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Have been looking at some of the fuel cap design's.
It look's like the wagon has the better fit to suit the ute.

planetdavo
23-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm wondering if you actually got one specifically listed for the Crewman filler neck, or just got one of the other model ones that are "they're all the same mate"....
Could be your problem, as CPC caps do not have this many problems with their manufacture, and they make Holden's.
Do you have the part number you bought so I can check compatability?
To give you an answer in advance, utes have a different locking cap to crewmans/tonners.
92189528 for utes $26.45 retail.
92189529 for crewman/tonner. Same price.
ANY genuine locking cap other than the 92189529 is not correct, and the likely cause of your fuel leaks.

Chris52
23-03-2006, 10:04 PM
To give you an answer in advance, utes have a different locking cap to crewmans/tonners.
ANY genuine locking cap other than the 92189529 is not correct, and the likely cause of your fuel leaks.

Thanks planetdavo, I have the lockable cap box in front of me however there is no actual part no. for reference on the packaging.With your part no. info firmly in hand, I will quiz the dealer tomorrow and post the verdict.

Cheers

Chris.

VQST80
23-03-2006, 11:01 PM
A simple door pin switch on the fuel flap connected to the boot open alarm switch from factory would be a great simple idea. :)

aperfectcircle
23-03-2006, 11:49 PM
How would the boot open alarm work on a ute?
I wouldn't think that the wiring would be there.

Sorry, re-read your post "from factory".
Would be a great idea.

chillicatqld
24-03-2006, 12:00 AM
gotta agree - cheaper for a tank of fuel that's stolen than it is to respray/repair the area around cap (they will get the fuel if they want it)!!

Fridgy
24-03-2006, 07:09 AM
gotta agree - cheaper for a tank of fuel that's stolen than it is to respray/repair the area around cap (they will get the fuel if they want it)!!

Surely if it becomes or is common knowledge that you can flip open the door and help yourself, this will become more of a problem.

I just don't get why it's not the same as the other Commodores as the ute is based on the same platform. me thinks its cost cutting.

Its no biggy, but strange though?

Fridgy

OzJavelin
24-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Surely if it becomes or is common knowledge that you can flip open the door and help yourself, this will become more of a problem.

I just don't get why it's not the same as the other Commodores as the ute is based on the same platform. me thinks its cost cutting.

Its no biggy, but strange though?

Fridgy
Alternatively, if all it takes is a screwdriver to break a plastic fuel door, that's not much of an issue either .. and then you have to pay for the door, the scratches to the panel and the stolen fuel.
Only a metal locking cap would slow them down long enough to MAYBE stop them ..
Maybe just need to be careful where vehicles are parked? (if possible)

VQST80
24-03-2006, 06:13 PM
How would the boot open alarm work on a ute?
I wouldn't think that the wiring would be there.

Sorry, re-read your post "from factory".
Would be a great idea.

I didnt think either :)

A Trigger to to the drivers door switch would be needed on a ute.

I live in non reflectivesville so Im going to get this done very soon, actualy when I get around to it. :)

Chris52
24-03-2006, 08:07 PM

Confirmation that the last three genuine lockable caps suupplied to me have been the wrong ones (for utes not crewie/tonners)so hopefully this is the end of leaking lockable caps. Thanks to planetdavo for the relevant info and sorry to the rest of you if slightly off topic.

Cheers

Chris

planetdavo
25-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Confirmation that the last three genuine lockable caps suupplied to me have been the wrong ones (for utes not crewie/tonners)so hopefully this is the end of leaking lockable caps. Thanks to planetdavo for the relevant info and sorry to the rest of you if slightly off topic.

Cheers

Chris
Cheers Chris.
My own opinion is that the lockable cap provides better security at a slight loss of time, and the lever release flap provides a little bit of security, but more convenience.

DEVOJET
21-04-2006, 08:09 AM
You can't syphon fuel out of a VY crewman. I tried one day because I need some fuel for the mower. There is something down the filler neck that stops you putting a hose down.

BLK 1T
21-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Devojet
Dunno about crewman but you can definitely siphon the tonner cause ive done it - for the kids motorbike I think.
Phil

DEVOJET
27-04-2006, 12:32 PM
I was using one of those jiggler syphons. maybe a normal peice of hose of smaller diameter might fit. I definatly couldn't get the hose down.

genb
28-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi
I purchased a lockable fuel cap for my vu ute from Holden part 92189528
but when I lock it with the key you can still un screw it anyone experiened same?

Wild_VU
29-08-2006, 09:21 PM
He guys, I was told that the fuel cap door of a VS commodore will fit the utes, and they can be set up with a cable like the sedans.

Cheers

caseyp
30-08-2006, 09:10 PM
I would like more info on what was done. I was pretty dissapointed with my 06 SS crewman didn't have a lockable fuel cap. I tried Super Cheap and holden and no-one makes a lockable cap. It's not just some-one sucking over priced fuel out of the tank, I am more concerned with what some of the oxygen theives we have in this world can put in the tank!

Sugaris
30-08-2006, 09:56 PM
hi all,
i recently had a low life f%^k bag put a hole bag of sugar in my tank while my ss ute was parked down our local beach. After a tow to my local auto shop and 500 bucks later. I would highly recommend to any one with a ute to get a locking fuel cap!!

to all those people that don't know sugar does not kill engines... Mythbusters on SBS covered this in one of there stories...

To all the designers on the New VE SS ute... please please please put a locking latch on the new ute!! i can not stress this enough!! I would also go as far to say i won't buy the new SS ute until there is a locking latch!!

Cheers...

iamhappy46
15-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Sorry for mining up this old thread but it had some relevant info.

I am looking at fitting a locking mechanism to my ute for the fuel flap. After inspecting a TS Astra SRi, it has a solenoid mechanism on its fuel flap which locks the fuel door when the alarm is on...

So this has got me thinking, if I fit a wagon fuel flap and an Astra SRi fuel lock which would be wired up to the driver door locking mechanism, then this should solve the problem correct? The locking solenoid from the Astra looks like it will fit in the small hole already in the ute.

No bastard cables to snap off or not work and easy to operate once it is wired in correctly in parrallel with the door lock.

Anybody have any advice they can offer on this working?

wardyp
03-08-2013, 10:24 AM
If anyone still wants to know an easy and inexpensive way to do this then I will explain it to you the best I can. I have done a few of these in my time and they are really easy and cost less than $50.

Purchase a sedan cap and cable assembly from the wreckers and the sill plastics for the right hand side of the drivers seat.
Remove the one from your ute and using it as a pattern transfer on to the sedan cap (sedan cap is larger)
Using a belt sander/file etc trim the sedan one to size (be careful that you are trimming it right maintaining the same curve as your ute one)
Be careful not to remove too many ribs and destroy the structural integrity of the cap.
If you do happen to lose the curve, simply use a heat gun to reshape to the curve of the utes body line.
Clean up all edges and smooth ready for paint
Install the cable through to the cab of ute (beside drivers seat) and screw release handle bracket into sill
Install sedan sill side plastics (need to be slightly modified)
Install other end of cable to the ute body
Paint the new custom cap (using undercoat/spray putty/top coat and clear and sanding between coats for optimal finish)
When paint is dry install cap

P{retty simple really and parts are readily available from most wreckers.

XUV
03-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Crewmans had the same problem, so I bought this for 25 bucks http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SL82ULP-LOCKING-PETROL-CAP-BMW-HOLDEN-HYUNDAI-NISSAN-/250968900213?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6ee98275

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/4/8/9/1/1/webimg/430415584_o.jpg?nc=320

IJ.
03-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Crewmans had the same problem, so I bought this for 25 bucks http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SL82ULP-LOCKING-PETROL-CAP-BMW-HOLDEN-HYUNDAI-NISSAN-/250968900213?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6ee98275

Same cap on my Tonner ;)

XUV
03-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Same cap on my Tonner ;)
easiest mod you ever did to the tonner, you should thank that person for the ''how to'' info :D