PDA

View Full Version : Do Bikes Come In Automatic?

MICK_EZEKIEL
24-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I have been thinking of one day getting a motorbike (250cc as I would be on L's) for basically something different to take out on weekends etc, plus it's a cheaper form of transport.

I know the one thing I remember I used to get confused with on a bike was changing gears.

What I would like to know is if there is such thing as a 250cc motorbike with automatic transmission. I know you can get scooters with automatics but I would rather a road bike. Or am I better off learning how to ride a manual??

Smitty
24-05-2006, 03:11 PM
no..is the answer
plenty of scooters with auto trans (well not really auto but they work like one)
and scooters can be up to 250cc..and not slow
so the choice is........
learn to change gears (its not that hard) or scooter it
me?
I like changing gears and being in control :)

hth
(from this rider of 30+ years)

cheers

vz300
24-05-2006, 03:11 PM
To my knowledge ther is no such thing as an automatic road bike..... Its easy mate 1 down 5 gears up just remember to use the clutch...... To be perfectly honest and I am not being rude here but if you cant ride a bike with gears and a clutch then the last thing you want is a road bike to be riding round the streets.....

They are just far to dangerous and someone with little knowledge like yourself by the sounds could find themselves in a great deal of trouble very quickly..... Just remember things happen 10 times faster on a bike than in an average street car.....

cheers good luck

rs2000
24-05-2006, 03:22 PM
To my knowledge ther is no such thing as an automatic road bike..... Its easy mate 1 down 5 gears up just remember to use the clutch...... To be perfectly honest and I am not being rude here but if you cant ride a bike with gears and a clutch then the last thing you want is a road bike to be riding round the streets.....

They are just far to dangerous and someone with little knowledge like yourself by the sounds could find themselves in a great deal of trouble very quickly..... Just remember things happen 10 times faster on a bike than in an average street car.....

cheers good luck

do yourself a favour and go to an accredited motorcycle school such as HART and learn the basics before hitting the streets..

Satansfist
24-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Husqvarna did make an auto dirtbike in the late 80's to early 90's I think, 410 or something...but as others have said, the sequential nature of a bike gearbox is so much easier/intuitive than an H pattern in a car. Get a quick-shift kit and you won't need the clutch at all!:lol:

maloo_
24-05-2006, 05:55 PM
50cc scooter

strife
24-05-2006, 06:53 PM
once you are on a bike its a no brainer so I wouldnt sweat it

there are auto bikes though

http://ridleymotorcycles.com/html/main.htm

ACT_Cross8
24-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Husqvarna did make an auto dirtbike in the late 80's to early 90's I think, 410 or something...

Yep, it was a 3-speed from memory. 430cc rings a bell.

Satansfist
24-05-2006, 07:15 PM
That's the one, Husky AE 430!

volt
24-05-2006, 08:59 PM
It's not really a proper auto, but there's no clutch handle, the good ol' Honda Postie Bike :burnout:

daza
25-05-2006, 03:46 AM
I believe Honda released one in the 70's 3speed auto with a (proper torque converter based I was told) on a sohc 750.google
Only ever seen one in the flesh though, so they are probably a rarity.

RXO_SS
25-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I think Moto Guzzi made an automatic bike way back yonder...
But not these days.
Changing gears is half the fun!

VX2VESS
25-05-2006, 01:11 PM
postie bike 110cc auto clutch

VT Convert
25-05-2006, 09:08 PM
and then of course there's the Boss Hoss....take your pick, 350 0r 500 cid...

http://www.bosshoss.com/?CID=2531652.249187

MICK_EZEKIEL
25-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Yeah I heard that scooters and stuff had CVT Automatics... Thought maybe by now they had 250cc bikes that were CVT...

I thought that maybe for learners they would have them... But yeah I know that changing gears would be easy to do, and I was young when I rode one and cracked it cause I had to change gears...

But this was only a thought... I think by the time I actually got one would be ages :)

saaz
30-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Various bikes did come in auto years ago. Guzzi 1000, CB750, Suzuki 400 (I think). None did that well.

Scooters are the next best thing. And they come in 500cc and 650cc these days, so definitely do not lack any performance. Lots of riders are going for the bigger scooters as a replcement for touring bikes.

Yamaha FJR13 comes in a paddle shift model, but you have to change gears as the clutch is electronically controlled.

I will have to try one one day. I am so used to controlling the bike by using the gears that it would probably feel weird... maybe I would slow down!

I prefer auto in the car as it does what a car should do (WL 5.7 statesman, previous had a VQ 5 litre). Autos on bikes would be the same deal, not as much control in corners as a manual, but can be effective used properly.

Smitty
31-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Various bikes did come in auto years ago. Guzzi 1000, CB750, Suzuki 400 (I think). None did that well.

hmmmmm....
never knew my ol' CB750 came as an auto
never seen an auto version before I bought it ...and never seen one since

vycalais5.7
31-05-2006, 08:52 PM
i aslo thought that honda made a few "goldwing"s in auto with a push button selector on the handlebars- never seen one though!

VX SS S2
31-05-2006, 08:59 PM
If you're looking for a bike as a weekend thing, you're looking for enjoyment... and that usually comes in the form of a manual...

Seriously it's not hard at all. Because the shift is sequential and you use your foot, it's easy, just click it up or down... and the clutch is easy because you use your hand (most people have more control over their hand) as opposed to a car where you use your foot.

I find riding a motorbike as a manual easier than driving a car... and have since i was 12 and bought my first bike.

Besides, the choice of bike is so much wider if you just learn to ride a manual... that way you can focus on getting the bike that suits your needs and size rather than any bike because of the transmission.

...my 2c

klink
02-06-2006, 09:37 PM

cheers good luck

Or in some cases 1 up 5 down! nothing worse than being half way through a corner and needing another gear and having to put your toe under the lever.

Bikes are fun but like said above they happen so much quicker than a car, and you have to anticipate what others on the road are doing as they won't see you.
I say go for, but im bias i been riding road bikes since i was 16.

I need a bigger unit to fit my car inside next to my bike.

Just be careful.

klink
02-06-2006, 09:37 PM

cheers good luck

Or in some cases 1 up 5 down! nothing worse than being half way through a corner and needing another gear and having to put your toe under the lever.

Bikes are fun but like said above they happen so much quicker than a car, and you have to anticipate what others on the road are doing as they won't see you.

Just be careful.

saaz
05-06-2006, 09:44 AM
I think paddle shifts will start making inroads once they play around more with them. Once the electronics are integrated in with traction control and more sophisticated power mapping, should make it interesting. The FJR review I read said that perhaps it was slightly harder to ride at slow speeds because you cannot slip the clutch and use the throttle to control the bike.

klink
09-06-2006, 03:20 PM
what i would like to see is a system like LS1 edit for bikes instead of just having the power commander units.

Imagine if you could do a mafless tune to some of these fuel injected bikes.

Avalanche
09-06-2006, 04:38 PM
tell me about it. My injected kingquad, has some timing retard built in on take off to stop the front wheels lifting off the ground, same fuel injection as per suzuki road bikes. But because its cvt the setup is different & u cant just move a couple of gear sensor wires to get around it like on the roadies. A powercommander goes a little way to help but a setup like ls1 edit etc would work good. Suzuki has the software to do it, as the press quads had no such restrictions. The suzuki techs just plugged the laptop in & changed settings & parameters.

Satansfist
09-06-2006, 05:01 PM
what i would like to see is a system like LS1 edit for bikes instead of just having the power commander units.

The thing is the bikes are already in a higher state of tune from the factory, unlike the engines from Holden which are in all honesty restricted from the factory. It's not like the old days with bikes where sticking a 4 into 1 pipe on it and fiddling with the fuelling gave you another 20bhp (unless its a Harley of curse), high performance bikes today are so well designed and tuned that often a new pipe will lose you power somewhere in the rev range.

If they aren't making enough for you at the moment wait till everyone starts putting their MotoGP replicas on sale like Ducati has just done:

http://www.ducati.com/

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/Satansfist/InternetExplorerWallpaper.jpg

klink
09-06-2006, 05:22 PM
i am waiting patiently, my next step with my bike is to do the heads a bit as i have all the bolt ons to suit to give a good power delivery over the rev range.

I love the feeling of the front lifting under power as i change into 3rd at 160.

paul05
09-06-2006, 06:01 PM
i am waiting patiently, my next step with my bike is to do the heads a bit as i have all the bolt ons to suit to give a good power delivery over the rev range.

I love the feeling of the front lifting under power as i change into 3rd at 160.
wow:eek: if thats on an r6? then you will have to ring a freind of mine that races a kwaka 636 in the supersport series(brendan watson)his bike can't do that.:confused:

deano
14-06-2006, 12:56 PM

Already do.. It's called tuneboy and is developed here in OZ, only does certain brands tho, namely Triumph, Aprilia and Benelli with some limitations..

Most bikes don't have a MAF as there is no room, generally they run TPS as there is not enough vacuum for a MAP due to multiple throttle bodies.

All bikes have some sort of "detuning", tho mainly just to get around EPA noise requirements etc
Just like LS1's they are set for a generic factory tune not a customised to the individual machine/ragged edge set up

kellyvk
13-12-2007, 07:19 PM
YES!!!!!! They do now!
And some for a while. Depends on the look you're after. I have a Gilera DNA180 auto, which looks and rides like a bike. Cool fun.

Boom
13-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Just be careful.

Ridden one like that a fair bit. Damn thing was right foot gear change too. Was fun cranking throught he windy bits and going for the back brake?????? Bugger

19OTU
14-12-2007, 08:00 AM
yeah 50cc scooters

CROME SS
09-01-2008, 11:52 PM
nar u should get an enduro bike like a ttr230 or xr250 whitch u can redgester and no these bikes dont come in auto but is very simple u would have it down pat in a day or 2. thats the best thing with an enduro bike u can go on road and off road. u start learning on the dirt and when u can ride u can go on road as a commuter. i have a wr 450 enduro and is regested so i can do the lot...... thats the way 2 go :)

OPPYLOCK
10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
This threads almost 2 yrs old.

aussiedav
14-01-2008, 07:17 PM
He has since been married, had kids, got divorced and now owns a Volvo with what was left after his wife took all the money.

ps the Volvo is an automatic no doubt :jester:

CROME SS
19-01-2008, 02:34 PM
lol :rofl:

aussiedav
26-01-2008, 08:52 PM
You know, if I make one more sensible reply I get up to 10 posts so I can get all the super powers. Nah not this one, maybe I should just buy a red cape and run down the street.