PDA

View Full Version : Catch Can Install

cbwolf
12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Hey guys,

I just baught one of these catch cans:

http://www.importscene.com.au/prod764.htm

And i'm just wondering which hoses to connect to it. I'v read through the catch can sticky and read just about all the catch can threads, but i'm still not 100% sure which hose to connect to which connected on the can.

If anyone could say, get an engine pic and show me the specific hoses and how they should be connected i'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks guys!

Mungrel
12-08-2007, 08:11 PM
that catch can looks good.
What model are you fitting it to? theres two different PVC setups used from VT-VZ.

The early setup:
Look at your throttle body and you'll see a hose connecting it to the rocker cover. Disconnect it at the throttle body end and re-route it to the catch can.

On the front of the inlet manifold (same side) you'll see another hose that wraps around the back of the motor. Disconnect this and re-route to the second inlet on your catch can.

Now get a hose and connect the two exposed connections. (1 on the TB and 1 on the Manifold)

I'm not 100% sure about the later setup, ill have a think about it and post up later.

Might have seen this pic i posted elsewhere but in case you havent:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/fpv_eta/Automotive/PCV2.jpg

cbwolf
12-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks alot. So from what i have understood, this goes as follows:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/PCV2.jpg

In this picture, i would:

Run hose from A to catch can
Run hose from D to catch can
Run hose from B to C

Is this correct?

Also this will be into a VT2. So it's the earlier setup.

Mungrel
12-08-2007, 09:21 PM
spot on mate :thumbsup:

cbwolf
12-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Awesome

Cheers for your help mate :D

Can't wait for the can to arrive and get it all installed. Only problem i can see with this particular can is the mounting bracket is kind of high up the can so it'll be very low. But i'm sure i can figure something out. :thumbsup:

DaveHAT
12-08-2007, 10:05 PM
VT2 will be completely different to the one pictured as the PCV system which existed from VTII - VYI was changed to the system in the picture which would be VYII.

For the correct instalation on a VT2 ... look here.

Australian LS1 and Holden Forums (http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=48997)

VX2VESS
12-08-2007, 10:15 PM
that pictures not the early setup thats a later setup..vt has a pipe from the rear of the motor both sides coming up along that side past the one in the picture. this one has to go to the can. the front one can as well. ( the picture tha later one comes from the valley plate)

also no good to just run that hose between the two TB connections you can but it must be a blocked hose. otherwise you suck air past the butterfly when its shut. effectively increasing the idle speed. the iac valve will try to compensate but may not. be the same as just disconnecting the pcv hose and valve, air will just flow inbehind the butterfly more air = more rpm

cbwolf
12-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Ok, well now i know how to do it on vy onwards. lol.

As far as my own one is concerned, i went outside and took a pic just to make 100% sure.

So here it is:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/catch.jpg

Could someone explain which pipes are attached to where when i install the can, keeping in mind it has a breather.

Cheers guys! :D

Ok, after looking at the other threads again closely. I'v come up with the following, although all of those are sealed cans and mine has breather. So not sure if it should be diff.

Run pipe running INTO point "C" into can
Run new pipe from "C" into can
Leave A->B alone

Is that right?

VX2VESS
12-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Ok, well now i know how to do it on vy onwards. lol.

As far as my own one is concerned, i went outside and took a pic just to make 100% sure.

So here it is:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/catch.jpg

Could someone explain which pipes are attached to where when i install the can, keeping in mind it has a breather.

Cheers guys! :D

Ok, after looking at the other threads again closely. I'v come up with the following, although all of those are sealed cans and mine has breather. So not sure if it should be diff.

Run pipe running INTO point "C" into can
Run new pipe from "C" into can
Leave A->B alone

Is that right?

no not for a breather can

1: run C into can (without the valve) and A into can (although can just block it off the two pickups coming from the back are enough for a breather setup. but you have two entries on the can anyway)

or 2: block of A.. piss off all the other pipes at the rear, run one hose from each side at the rear covers to the can, get rid off that stupid y rubber connector at the back they fail after a while go soft, perish so better off without it. yours maybe stuffed already.

the two connectors left poking out of the TB where pipe C and B were, block them off, either with a pipe between them with a ball bearing or something inside blocking it off, or two caps. a breather setup requires no fresh air input pipe

cbwolf
12-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Ok, so would this be correct?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/catch2.jpg

VX2VESS
12-08-2007, 11:29 PM
yes will work, but i like option 2 better that i added later, my last post. but that option 1 is the easiest one as your photo will work well for that breather can, so will option 2, just need more hose

Tonner
12-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Can someone tell me (in the model shown above) is the hose returning to the rear of the maniflod drawing Vacuum? or is it a crancase vent?

VX2VESS
12-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Can someone tell me (in the model shown above) is the hose returning to the rear of the maniflod drawing Vacuum? or is it a crancase vent?

its the crankcase vent from both sides joined by a y connector between the covers at the back coming to the front as one pipe. it is drawing vapors by vacuum when connected to the manifold when the butterfly is closed (closed butterfly, creates vacuum in the manifold, that opens the pcv valve and draws in vapors into the manifold). when C is not connected to the manifold its the crankcase vents. B to A is the filtered fresh air intake for the oem PCV system ( air comes in here and is sucked through the block and out the back under vacuum into C). a sealed return system requires B to A including return sealed cans, vented cans do not.

Tonner
12-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Ok I missed that, so its a vented can,

VX2VESS
13-08-2007, 12:04 AM
VT ls1 from the manual how the oem VT to VY system works. not even read this just cut and pasted it just now. may make more sense than i did. nothing really to do with vented cans, but may help understand how it works OEM for others

A closed crankcase ventilation system is used to provide complete scavenging of crankcase vapours. Fresh air from the throttle body (1) is supplied to the crankcase, mixed with blow-by gases and then passed through a crankcase ventilation valve (3) into the intake manifold. The engine ventilation system was developed to minimise oil consumption and ensure that oil, ingestion could not occur during severe vehicle handling manoeuvres.
Filtered fresh air is routed from upstream of the throttle blade to the front of the right rocker cover via a formed rubber hose (2). To reduce the potential of oil pullover into the throttle bore area due to back flow of the ventilation system, the fitting in the right side rocker cover is located in a “quiet” area located between, and shielded from, the rocker arms. Crankcase blowby gases are routed from the rear of both rocker covers, through moulded nylon lines to a tee fitting, located on the centreline of the engine at the rear of the intake manifold (4). From there, a single hose carries crankcase vapours through an externally mounted, horizontal PCV valve (3) and enters the intake manifold behind the throttle body (1). The hoses are foam insulated and the PCV valve (3) is conduction-heated from the cylinder block by a braided cable. Figure 6E3-4 This “dual draw system” was developed to meet high ‘g’ forces (bold arrow) incurred during severe cornering manoeuvres. During sustained maximum lateral accelerations, the outboard rocker cover (1) may fill with oil. The “dual draw” system “passively switches”, allowing the PCV valve to draw on the rocker cover with the least resistance. This results in the system drawing on the air filled, or inboard, rocker cover (2) and eliminates oil pullover that would result from drawing on the oil filled outboard rocker cover. Sectioned view shown is looking rearward from the engine front.

Tonner
13-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Right off topic but I wonder what would happen on a VY11 if you connected the one from C to the valleycover vent when it was under boost.:confused:

VX2VESS
13-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Right off topic but I wonder what would happen on a VY11 if you connected the one from C to the valleycover vent when it was under boost.:confused:
C to D the earlier photo ? nothing much it has a pcv valve doesn't it (not sure) which would shut off, the valve is one way only. assuming the hoses don't blow off under high boost

boosted is another problem, prob better off with a crankcase vent pump to suck out vapors even under boost or a vented system at least

Tonner
13-08-2007, 12:20 AM
C to D the earlier photo ? nothing much it has a pcv valve doesn't it (not sure) which would shut off, the valve is one way only. assuming the hoses don't blow off under high boost

boosted is another problem, prob better off with a crankcase vent pump to suck out vapors even under boost or a vented system at leastThats the one ,probably doesn't need a pcv valve. if it is meant (c) to draw at Idle :):confused:

Edit, might have read that wrong, time for bed ,

VX2VESS
13-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Thats the one ,probably doesn't need a pcv valve. if it is meant (c) to draw at Idle :):confused:

Edit, might have read that wrong, time for bed ,

i've not looked, but must have a valve somewhere in the system, maybe not on this line. without a valve it would allow air both ways, not a big problem i spose.

OK but under boost without a valve it would pressurise the crankcase cause the car to be more smokey as it would push oil past the rings under boost into the combustion chamber. no where else for it to go, except could push the dipstick out and force oil up that way, or past other engine oil seals.

cbwolf
17-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Okie dokie.

I had some time to install the catch can and things went quite well although i don't particularly like the hose that they supplied so i'll be changing it to something better soon.

Just a question though, as soon as the engine is running there's a tiny bit of visible smoke coming out of the breather, which increases when throttle is applied. Is this oil vapour? Is it normal? I'm kinda worried.

Anyway here's some pictures:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/DSC00247.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/DSC00248.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/DSC00252.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/DSC00254.jpg

Tonner
17-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Nice can, Id prefer to have a sealed system ,,,(with no vent to atmosphere). but looks good.

Whats the one from the TB connected to? The low speed draw at the manifold behind the TB is it? but a sealed system wouldn't work the way cbwoluf has it connected either.

DaveHAT
17-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Get rid of that crap "braided" hose and use rubber if you don't want it to kink. The stuff that usually comes with these catchcans is crap at best and has the structural integrity of a tissue full of snot.

I'm not 100% on this but I think you've crossed the lines up somehow. The line from the PCV should go to the catch can then into the manifold not to the rocker cover.

http://febs.reddrop.net/car/catchcan/finished.jpg

Venting to atmosphere like you're doing with that catch can will nearly always result in oil vapour coming out thru the filter. This have why you put the catch can in the first place, to catch the vapour. I'm not sure of how significant the visible oil vapour is but if you get stopped and checked by cops and they see it, it will almost certainly result in a defect notice.

Looks pretty tidy though but piss the braided hose of and use rubber.

VX2VESS
17-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Nice can, Id prefer to have a sealed system ,,,(with no vent to atmosphere). but looks good.

Whats the one from the TB connected to? The low speed draw at the manifold behind the TB is it? but a sealed system wouldn't work the way cbwoluf has it connected either.

yes where is that TB line going too? doesn't look right..looks like going below the manifold?

and yes that line is no good, you can see one hose is almost kinked off now. plus will look crappy later after the fumes etc have been going through it.

for vented cans you don't need that pcv valve either it will stop the venting on that line.

cbwolf
17-08-2007, 04:10 PM
The line from the TB is going to the manifold but is blocked off in the middle. So instead of just having end caps, i ran a closed hose between the two so they're not open.

Yeh, the braided hose is really shit. I'll be buying proper hose tomorrow. As for the PCV valve, i tried to remove it, but i couldn't pull it out. Do i have to cut the hose behind the valve or can i actually remove it? And if i have to cut it out, would i just use a double ended barb to extend the hose to the can?

VX2VESS
17-08-2007, 04:14 PM
The line from the TB is going to the manifold but is blocked off in the middle. So instead of just having end caps, i ran a closed hose between the two so they're not open.

Yeh, the braided hose is really shit. I'll be buying proper hose tomorrow. As for the PCV valve, i tried to remove it, but i couldn't pull it out. Do i have to cut the hose behind the valve or can i actually remove it? And if i have to cut it out, would i just use a double ended barb to extend the hose to the can?

yes that ok on that TB hose then

valve, can't recall how it comes off now. just cut it off i guess and run some new hose all the way. does yours have the plastic sort of pipe coming down along the head to the valve? i pissed that crap off as well. the right size hose will slip over that plastic tubing anyway if you want to keep it there.

DaveHAT
17-08-2007, 04:33 PM
http://www.oz8.org/gallery/albums/NickS/catchcan.jpg

That's how I set mine up. The PCV line is just made of PVC plastic (costs $39ish to replace) so I cut into it and did the catchcan as pictured. PCV still inplace and all nice and legal.

Venting the manifold to the TB doesn't seem right.

cbwolf
17-08-2007, 05:00 PM
yes that ok on that TB hose then

valve, can't recall how it comes off now. just cut it off i guess and run some new hose all the way. does yours have the plastic sort of pipe coming down along the head to the valve? i pissed that crap off as well. the right size hose will slip over that plastic tubing anyway if you want to keep it there.

Yeh it is just the plastic pipe..

I went down to enzed to check out some hoses. So i'll just cut off the pcv valve and use a barb to join the plastic hose to a new rubber hose to run to the can.

Tonner
17-08-2007, 05:13 PM

That's how I set mine up. The PCV line is just made of PVC plastic (costs $39ish to replace) so I cut into it and did the catchcan as pictured. PCV still inplace and all nice and legal.

wouldn't the one on top of the TB be the one that draws full time ? nice job too.

Edit , if so that would be the one to draw from the can wouldn't it ?

whatever, I suppose you need the port that draws at wot

JezzaB
17-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Another one to throw in the mix. How do think my one works? ;)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1255/861541060_1489e2abae_o_d.jpg

TB is capped off. TB -> PCV -> Catch Can -> Rocker Cover..... No breather on the catch can lid... hmmm
Jez

VX2VESS
17-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeh it is just the plastic pipe..

I went down to enzed to check out some hoses. So i'll just cut off the pcv valve and use a barb to join the plastic hose to a new rubber hose to run to the can.

just slide transmission line rubber hose (oil resistant) over the plastic pipe, should be a tight fit, don't need barbs.

Tonner
17-08-2007, 06:09 PM
so obviously you are sucking it in through the maifold port, thats if its only a one in one out, you would need a one way valve there wouldn't you for the boost not just the pcv?? pls tell.

so did you cap off the <valleycover stem or the rear crancase, ?model ?

I will draw mine via the intake, below the filter.

TB is capped off. TB -> PCV -> Catch Can -> Rocker Cover..... No breather on the catch can lid... hmmm
Jez
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

JezzaB
17-08-2007, 06:26 PM
so obviously you are sucking it in through the maifold port, thats if its only a one in one out, you would need a one way valve there wouldn't you for the boost not just the pcv?? pls tell.

so did you cap off the <valleycover stem or the rear crancase, ?model ?

I will draw mine via the intake, below the filter.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Its a VU (VX). Check down the back of the engine. Hidden away but just visible is a breather between the rocker cover rear joining pipe. When I was reworking the PCV and Catch can I was paranoid about people seeing a vented catch can so I did it this way. Then when I was done I realised that the breather is gonna be the last thing that mr plod is going to be nicking me for :lol:

My old blower setup I used to draw from the filter too.

So now its

TB->PCV->Catch Can->Front Rocker Cover->Rear Rocker Cover->PCV Vent/Filter->Rear Rocker Cover

Jez

Tonner
17-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Yeh good onya,:) lol I couldn't see it all

DaveHAT
17-08-2007, 08:17 PM
wouldn't the one on top of the TB be the one that draws full time ? nice job too.

Edit , if so that would be the one to draw from the can wouldn't it ?

whatever, I suppose you need the port that draws at wot

John,

The way mine is setup is basically how it is setup from the factory but with the catch can spliced into the PCV line from the rear of both rocker covers.

i.e. lines from rear of rocker covers --> catchcan --> PCV --> Manifold.

The line from the front of the rocker cover to the TB is also as it came OEM but with a inline fuel filter spliced into the line. Seems to be working thus far as my TB is clean.

It seems there's more than 1 way to achieve a good result with a catchcan. Jezza'a seems to go from the front of the rocker cover to the manifold which would also work and by pass the TB altogether thus eliminatiing the oily grim that typically cakes around the edge of the TB blade.

Dave

BLACK 346
17-08-2007, 08:24 PM
John,

The way mine is setup is basically how it is setup from the factory but with the catch can spliced into the PCV line from the rear of both rocker covers.

i.e. lines from rear of rocker covers --> catchcan --> PCV --> Manifold.

The line from the front of the rocker cover to the TB is also as it came OEM but with a inline fuel filter spliced into the line. Seems to be working thus far as my TB is clean.

It seems there's more than 1 way to achieve a good result with a catchcan. Jezza'a seems to go from the front of the rocker cover to the manifold which would also work and by pass the TB altogether thus eliminatiing the oily grim that typically cakes around the edge of the TB blade.

Dave

Do you get any oil in that line from Manifold to T/B Dave? Mine
always seems to be dry, so have never bothered with the
filter.

DaveHAT
17-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Do you get any oil in that line from Manifold to T/B Dave? Mine
always seems to be dry, so have never bothered with the
filter.

Not that I've noticed Rod.

I just threw the filter on J.I.C and as an extra filtration measure. The PCV always seems much worse.

BLACK 346
17-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Not that I've noticed Rod.

I just threw the filter on J.I.C and as an extra filtration measure. The PCV always seems much worse.

Yeah, same here, mine is set up as you describe and I get a tiny
bit of oil in the can.

cbwolf
17-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Okie dokie.

Luckily for me, Autobarn is open till 9:00PM on friday nights so i popped down and baught some transmission hose and clamps to fix it up and i'm finally happy with it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/DSC00255.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/DSC00256.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x81/cbwolf2007/DSC00257.jpg

That clear was was the biggest piece of crap i'v ever seen. This trannie hose is fairly flexible and doesn't kink at all! Good stuff :D

Oh and after one day, there was already some discolouration in the clear hose going from the pcv valve to the can, so it's definately working :D

VX2VESS
18-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Okie dokie.

Luckily for me, Autobarn is open till 9:00PM on friday nights so i popped down and baught some transmission hose and clamps to fix it up and i'm finally happy with it.

That clear was was the biggest piece of crap i'v ever seen. This trannie hose is fairly flexible and doesn't kink at all! Good stuff :D

Oh and after one day, there was already some discolouration in the clear hose going from the pcv valve to the can, so it's definately working :D

good stuff looks good now.

could of hide the whole can down low somewhere, less fumes into the cabin too

cbwolf
18-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Yeh the fumes are a bit annoying. Have to have the climate on recirculate. I'm thinking about using a hose to mount the breather somewhere out of the way. Would this still work properly?

JezzaB
18-08-2007, 07:06 PM

Jez

I should state that this setup is temporary. Its not an ideal setup. The passenger side will starve for venting and it does with a little hazing out the PCV breather at the back after some serious driving. I could put the PCV Breather before the pass side rocker then the pass rocket then the drivers then the front drivers and then catch can and then pcv. Gonna have a play

Jez

Tonner
17-09-2007, 08:25 PM
i've not looked, but must have a valve somewhere in the system, maybe not on this line. without a valve it would allow air both ways, not a big problem i spose.

OK but under boost without a valve it would pressurise the crankcase cause the car to be more smokey as it would push oil past the rings under boost into the combustion chamber. no where else for it to go, except could push the dipstick out and force oil up that way, or past other engine oil seals. sorry back on this again

What do you think if I was to draw from the rocker cover and the undervalley at the front of a vy11 up to the sealed catchcan then draw that from the intake side of the blower? that would balance out ok?

with no pcv

Mungrel
17-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Whilst we're on this thread,
i notice a lot of people with the vented setups are gettin rid of the black thing about 2" from the manifold port. (I'm guessing thats the one way valve / PCV valve right?)

I've got a vented catch can, should i get rid of this thing too?

wagnman
17-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Why do you need a catch can?
What does it do for the performance of your engine?
From what I have read here its all a bit hit and miss with the setting up of the system too. Surley there is a standard LS1 setup that works for a vented or unvented can.

cheers

BLACK 346
17-09-2007, 09:05 PM
From what I have read here its all a bit hit and miss with the setting up of the system too. Surley there is a standard LS1 setup that works for a vented or unvented can.

cheers

Stops oil from the PCV system entering the Manifold behind
the T/B. Not sure about the hit and miss, it is a pretty
standard setup as far as I know, at least for a N/A motor
it is.
Check your pcv valve wagnman and see if it is full of oil.

VooDoo
17-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Whilst we're on this thread,
i notice a lot of people with the vented setups are gettin rid of the black thing about 2" from the manifold port. (I'm guessing thats the one way valve / PCV valve right?)

I've got a vented catch can, should i get rid of this thing too?

Early engines had an external valve. If you have one you shouldnt remove it.

cheers

Catch cans filter the crankcase air. All engines get some blowby and this pressurises the crankcase. This air is then vented into the manifold and recycled to reduce emissions. This airflow, due to being inside an engine gets mixed with oils (remember that crank is spining, oil flying around everywhere etc). Oil in a manifold or cylinder will reduce octane and in extreme cases cause detonation. By filtering this airflow, you reduce the oil into the manifold and improve performance (or rather reduce the chance of reduced performance)

Mungrel
17-09-2007, 09:23 PM

My thoughts exactly.

thanks

APCLB
17-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Ok,now whats best suited for a f/i set up (vyss II tt),a vented catch can or non vented can?
Of course, non vented can would have the vented/filter oil filler set up.

wagnman
17-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Cheers Voodo Thats a good explanation.

So I understand what they do and I am definitely not keen on venting to the atmosphere and making the car blatantly illegal.

How can a sealed system be of benefit when ultimately the oily air is still in the engine system?

Will a sealed catch can be as effective as a vent to atmosphere one?

Does a sealed one catch the vapours properly in the can and only put clean air back into the manifold?

Cheers

Tonner
17-09-2007, 10:15 PM
sorry back on this again

What do you think if I was to draw from the rocker cover and the undervalley at the front of a vy11 up to the sealed catchcan then draw that from the intake side of the blower? that would balance out ok?

with no pcv
Ah think I have the answer, thanks to the shed dwellers,

It would be ok to it as above but but it would still need to draw fresh air, to stop seals imploding, :1peek: a one way vent to the filler cap, should be ok epa wise too.

what do yall think is there a better way for a boosted vy11 setup?

VX2VESS
17-09-2007, 10:33 PM

Why? if you have a vented can and its not attached to the manifold the purpose of the valve is n/a. the valve is to allow one way flow when the engine is at vacuum, it opens and draw crankcase vapours in. a vented can doesn't require a valve to vent, a valve would be a restriction to non vacuum assisted venting

Mungrel
17-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Why? if you have a vented can and its not attached to the manifold the purpose of the valve is n/a. the valve is to allow one way flow when the engine is at vacuum, it opens and draw crankcase vapours in. a vented can doesn't require a valve to vent, a valve would be a restriction to non vacuum assisted venting

Hmm you've got a valid point...

I'd go out and try it without the valve but um yeah, thats not gonna happen for at least a few more days lol

Mungrel
26-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Probably a dumb question here,
But a guy i work with has offered to make me a custom catch can thats going to fit behind the bumper on the passenger side. (It'll be a vented catch can) Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why i couldn't have one made with 2 inlets?
And can i have the inlets mounted on top vertically or do they have to be on the side?

VeeTee346
07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
VT ls1 from the manual how the oem VT to VY system works. not even read this just cut and pasted it just now. may make more sense than i did. nothing really to do with vented cans, but may help understand how it works OEM for others

A closed crankcase ventilation system is used to provide complete scavenging of crankcase vapours. Fresh air from the throttle body (1) is supplied to the crankcase, mixed with blow-by gases and then passed through a crankcase ventilation valve (3) into the intake manifold. The engine ventilation system was developed to minimise oil consumption and ensure that oil, ingestion could not occur during severe vehicle handling manoeuvres.
Filtered fresh air is routed from upstream of the throttle blade to the front of the right rocker cover via a formed rubber hose (2). To reduce the potential of oil pullover into the throttle bore area due to back flow of the ventilation system, the fitting in the right side rocker cover is located in a “quiet” area located between, and shielded from, the rocker arms. Crankcase blowby gases are routed from the rear of both rocker covers, through moulded nylon lines to a tee fitting, located on the centreline of the engine at the rear of the intake manifold (4). From there, a single hose carries crankcase vapours through an externally mounted, horizontal PCV valve (3) and enters the intake manifold behind the throttle body (1). The hoses are foam insulated and the PCV valve (3) is conduction-heated from the cylinder block by a braided cable. Figure 6E3-4 This “dual draw system” was developed to meet high ‘g’ forces (bold arrow) incurred during severe cornering manoeuvres. During sustained maximum lateral accelerations, the outboard rocker cover (1) may fill with oil. The “dual draw” system “passively switches”, allowing the PCV valve to draw on the rocker cover with the least resistance. This results in the system drawing on the air filled, or inboard, rocker cover (2) and eliminates oil pullover that would result from drawing on the oil filled outboard rocker cover. Sectioned view shown is looking rearward from the engine front.

Could someone please tell me why the PCV valve needs to be kept hot?

I ask because during my catch can install I found the rubber around the valve pretty much rogered.. so I ripped it all off. It's easy to reuse the valve in the plumbing but not so easy including that conduction loop around the valve. Holden want $$$ to replace the valve (as it includes the plumbing to the rear of the rocker covers).

I'm suspecting I can omit the conduction loop.. maybe it's for cold climates to ensure the valve opens asap on startup.. surely once warmed up there's no need for it?

Cheers

VX2VESS
07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
probably to stop vapours condensing in the valve

PBoB
15-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Ok so after reading all the catch can install threads, I now have two things: square eyes, and NFI what to do with mine. All the pictures I saw in these threads are of LS1's, and after taking photos with my phone to compare, I've come to the conclusion that the pipe configuration on my L98 6.0L is somewhat different to the pre-catch can configuration of the LS1 powered cars photographed.

Help please?

Cheers
Phil

Ok, so here is my catch can:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg16/sixleeta/IMG_0200.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg16/sixleeta/IMG_0203.jpg

And this is my stock setup:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg16/sixleeta/IMG_0196.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg16/sixleeta/IMG_0197.jpg

and to me, it looks different to other peoples setups, so I'm stumped :(

PSI 364
15-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Phil,

I am in the same boat as you (except you have your catch can already you lucky bugger !!!) our L76's look different to the earlier set ups.

So far all I can see from mine is the drivers side rocker cover pipe goes to the air inlet in fron of the throttle body.

The passenger side rocker cover pipe goes into the manifold behind the throttle body.

But what the hell is the set up with the electrical plug like your picture, i have one as well like yours but im unsure if it will stuff with things if I fiddle with it ???

I will take some photos this weekend and post them up to see if we can find a solution unless someone out there has already done it :bow:

VX-300
15-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Help please?

LS2 and L98 are the same in this regard.

Remove the U shaped hose...dotted red here.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/IMG_0197.jpg

Fit catchcan and connect like this
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/catch-can1.jpg

our L76's look different to the earlier set ups

For L76

Remove the PCV hose which goes from rear passenger side rocker cover to the drivers side of the intake manifold....(shown with red dashes here).

Cut the hose and adapt with a new flexible hose so that this hose now goes from the rear passenger side rocker cover to the INLET of the new catch can.
(shown with blue dashes)

From the OUTLET of the new catch can run a hose to the drivers side of the intake manifold. (shown with yellow dashes)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/P1010147.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/IMG_0196.jpg

PBoB
16-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks VX-300 you've saved me/us a lot of ginning around! Incidentally I was talking to Simon (swingtan) last night and he mentioned that GM have put an oil - air separator under the valley cover that acts just like a catch can in the 6.0L motors after they accepted that the LS1 had real issues with oil in the breather system.

So they actually have a better oil separation unit than the LS1 but now that I've got mine I'll still install it.

Also where did you re-route your earth wire that's on the front of the head where the catch can bolts onto? Or did you just bolt the can over the top?

Cheers
Phil

Grommz
16-05-2008, 09:33 AM
:yahoo:

Thanks VX-300 now ill go order my kit :)

VX-300
16-05-2008, 09:43 AM
he mentioned that GM have put an oil - air separator under the valley cover that acts just like a catch can in the 6.0L motors after they accepted that the LS1 had real issues with oil in the breather system.

L98 and LS2 use this valley cover.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/LS2valleycover1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/valleycoverunder.jpg

The black rectangular box underneath is the oil mist control baffling. You still get oil coming through it, as anyone who has a catch can on an LS2 will attest.

L76 does not use the above valley cover because they have a Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly in the valley instead. The oil mist control for L76 seems to be just a simple brass restrictor about 1/8" ID located inside the vertical outlet fitting from the rear passenger side valve cover.

L76 L.O.M.A.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/0405phr_gmdod_04_z.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/0405phr_gmdod_05_z.jpg

Your catch can mounting : There is another threaded bolt hole on the front face of the drivers side head, lower down. You could move the earth to there.
Relocating the EVAP solenoid will be more of a challenge.

PBoB
16-05-2008, 09:53 AM
That answers some questions that arised when we did Paul's (bowlerr) blower install, thanks!

I was going to relocate the earth wire there, but my catch can has two bolt holes on the bracket which line up perfectly with the two holes on the head.

Cheers
Phil

VX-300
16-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I was going to relocate the earth wire there, but my catch can has two bolt holes on the bracket which line up perfectly with the two holes on the head.

There's no reason why the earth washer can't share a bolt hole with another item.

PBoB
18-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Righto, catch can installed, and it wasn't that hard. The hardest part was trying to reach the bolt I dropped in the engine bay :hide:.

There were a few hoses I had to move, but nothing that couldn't be put back.

Cheers
Phil

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg16/sixleeta/IMG_0212.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg16/sixleeta/IMG_0215.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg16/sixleeta/IMG_0214.jpg

MJR-57T
03-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I ran into a little pickle with my setup.

I ran it like the 1st pic, but i found that it nearly burned my ute to the ground this morning.
Oil vented out the dip stick tube all over the exhast manifold.
Later i found that the setup below is for a vented can
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/fpv_eta/Automotive/PCV2.jpg

Ive now set it up like sixleeta's pics above and it seems to be ideling a little high.
Have i set it up alright for a sealed can or is there another way.
I dont want to go through another smoke show again. Especialy when your on the way to the dealer for a warenty repair!!
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/chevy_big_block_bro/IMGP0974.jpg

Also the passenger side rocker covers vent is blocked off, is this normal for a VY as ive seen heaps of pics where a line comes from the back of the engine down the drivers side to the TB.
Is something missing off mine??
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/chevy_big_block_bro/IMGP0973.jpg

Panelman
19-06-2008, 11:33 AM
LS1 GenIII VZ ETB and OTR.

Hi fellas. I have read and read, and checked again. I cannot see any guide for the VZ GenIII with Electronic TB, plus I have an OTR.

http://usera.imagecave.com/panelman/19062008002.jpg

There is only 2 hoses that I can see. One is from the rocker to the OTR, and 2nd is the looped one behind the ETB.

http://usera.imagecave.com/panelman/19062008001.jpg

Where is the 3rd one? There is an L shaped plug under the TB which has nothing attatched. I remember Holden doing a recall fix on a hose position... could this have been the 3rd hose?

Anyway, would like to get this Catchcan (SEALED) hooked up soon. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Panelman.

Swingtan has just given me a run through. :bow:

Apparently is a simple job. Behind the ETB is the bent around hose, which is all I need. Remove the hose. The bottom one is the inlet to the catch can, and the top on is the return. Simple!

Thanks Simon.

Apparently this setup is very similar to the LS2.

I'll post up pics once I completed the install.

VX-300
19-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Panelman.

Leave the hose going from OTR to rocker cover as is.

Remove the U shaped hose in this pic.

Run a hose from the nipple on the front of the valley cover to the IN port of the sealed catch can.

Run another hose from the OUT port of the sealed catchcan to the nipple on the side of the intake manifold.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/1906.jpg

MJR 350

Yours looks right for a sealed catch can.
Just check that the hose coming from the valley is going to the port marked IN on the can.
And the hose going to the side of the intake manifold is coming from the OUT port on the catchcan.

I can't see the stampings on the can in the pic is all.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/IMGP0974.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/IMGP0973.jpg

MJR-57T
21-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks VX-300

Yea its a uni can so there's no IN or OUT.

Ill be buying a proper one soon thats suited for the LS series with the brackets ect ect.

This one seems to work fine.
I took it off to check a few things and there was about 10ml's of oil in the bottom after 2 weeks and a long 800km drive inbetween.
The oil is now all over the driveway because i of the way i rested it on the ground not expecting anything to come out

ti0350
13-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Sorry for the noob question but I'm a total nuffy when it comes to anything on my car..
I'm thinking of putting a catch can on my SS, but looking around on ebay I see some with 2 connections for hose and some with 3 connections, which one should I get..
I think I have an idea of how to set it up the line from the rocker cover goes into the in on the can, the the hose from the manifold goes into the out of the can and you block up the line from the throttle body..

Banks_vz
11-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi guys, had a look at my setup and i have no idea :confused::hide:

I think its because im running the standard intake setup. Where would the 'fresh air' pipe go, or should it be left as is? Can i put a catch can in, B4 i got an OTR or dont bother just yet?

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=50408&stc=1&d=1218458644

A^K^T
11-08-2008, 11:26 PM

I think its because im running the standard intake setup. Where would the 'fresh air' pipe go, or should it be left as is? Can i put a catch can in, B4 i got an OTR or dont bother just yet?

You would still set up a catch can same as the pic below , just replace the short hose that goes from the valley cover to the intake manifold with the hoses that go to and from the catch can , leave the one that goes from the maf pipe to the rocker cover there and if you go otr plumb a hose that gets fresh filtered air from somewhere in between the throttle body and air filter .

VX-300
12-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Sorry for the noob question but I'm a total nuffy when it comes to anything on my car..
I'm thinking of putting a catch can on my SS, but looking around on ebay I see some with 2 connections for hose and some with 3 connections, which one should I get..
I think I have an idea of how to set it up the line from the rocker cover goes into the in on the can, the the hose from the manifold goes into the out of the can and you block up the line from the throttle body..

I think you have no idea.

Fresh air comes from the outlet on the throttle body or from the intake pipe in front of the throttle body. This fresh air goes into the front drivers side rocker cover. IE. leave that hose as per stock.

Foul air comes out of the valley cover at the front drivers side.......run this to the IN of the sealed catch can.
From the OUT of the catch can run a hose to the side of the intake manifold.

Leave the fresh air supply line as is.
Yes you can put a catch can in now.
If you go OTR all that changes is the current fresh air pick-up point (X) at the elbow moves to someplace else in front of the throttle blade.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/IMG7091.jpg

Banks_vz
13-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Champion, with size hose is commonly used with the catch cans? I want to run braided line to and from the can so what -6 line (3/8")?

Replacing all the hoses with braided line as i do them if your wondering why lol

VX-300
13-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Champion, with size hose is commonly used with the catch cans? I want to run braided line to and from the can so what -6 line (3/8")?
Replacing all the hoses with braided line as i do them if your wondering why lol

Yes mate -6

wreckwriter
07-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an ancient thread but we G8 owners are just now trying to work out catch can installs for our L76s. The cans pictured here appear to be the elite engineering cans, yes? Assuming so, please, which bolts did you use for the actual can mounting?

Thanks!

WLDLS1
07-09-2008, 08:56 AM
i dont know if you guys know this but the colder you keep any oil going into the catch can the less chance of any mist going to the intake. if oil is hot it will give off mist. if cold it will drop to the bottom of the catch can and stay there. this is proven so do a search on the net. it pays to mount your catch can away from heat. mine is mounted inside the grill area where it is kept cold. not one bit of oil in my intake. works so well. just something for you guys to think about.
i will gladly let anybody look at my intake and see for themselfs. SPOTLESS.

Mungrel
07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
that makes sense actually. And i spose tucked away behind the bumper, it wouldnt be visible to any prying eyes...

WLDLS1
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
well i can tell you its all true. my car has now done 106ks. i did that mod at 67ks. i did clean the inlet with carby cleaner when i did it but to this day it is clean as.yes i run a in line fuel filter but i can tell you and will try to put up pics it is still spotless. no oil in there at all. the inline fillter gets no oil in it at all. i change it every 2mnths for piece of mind. works for me. i must all so ad i get bagged for doing this by mates but as i say. mine is clean and theres is oily.

PBoB
10-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an ancient thread but we G8 owners are just now trying to work out catch can installs for our L76s. The cans pictured here appear to be the elite engineering cans, yes? Assuming so, please, which bolts did you use for the actual can mounting?

Thanks!

Hi mate, usually the mounting bolts and bracket comes with the catch can, if you buy a good quality one like the Elite Engineering one, it will all be included. I can't say much for the crapBay ones though. :1peek:

dan-0
26-11-2008, 07:16 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/IMGP0973.jpg[/QUOTE]

Hey guys
I have an L76, what goes here once I take it off?

VX-300
26-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Hey guys
I have an L76, what goes here once I take it off?

If you've got an L76 engine then the tube with the red line drawn on it here is already connected to the rear passenger side rocker cover.

All you need to do with an L76 is this.

gen3baby
14-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi guys . . Thank you for all the usefull info in this thread :bow: . . Should this be one of my first basic mods to prolong the life of my gen 3?

PBoB
15-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Well it's a fairly cheap mod mate, and it's for the good of the engine. It's the first thing I put on my ute when I bought it and it started filling up straight away, I noticed oil in mine after a day.

So I'd say...yes. An exhaust isn't going to prolong the life of your motor, neither is a cam or an OTR.

WAY88T
21-10-2009, 09:31 PM
If you've got an L76 engine then the tube with the red line drawn on it here is already connected to the rear passenger side rocker cover.

All you need to do with an L76 is this.

could you please put the picture back up/ or some one with a 6ltr (L76 motor )

cheers

VX-300
21-10-2009, 10:27 PM
could you please put the picture back up/ or some one with a 6ltr (L76 motor )

cheers

L76 only.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76PCV.jpg

Roonstain
22-10-2009, 12:31 AM
VX-300 - so what happens if you have an L76, but are changing to an LS2 valley cover setup?
Do you plug the rear passenger line that goes to the intake manifold port, and run the same setup as the L98 one you have described???

VX-300
22-10-2009, 06:36 AM
VX-300 - so what happens if you have an L76, but are changing to an LS2 valley cover setup?
Do you plug the rear passenger line that goes to the intake manifold port, and run the same setup as the L98 one you have described???

YES.

Rocker Cover Cap Part No is 12579145.

Roonstain
22-10-2009, 12:04 PM
YES.

Rocker Cover Cap Part No is 12579145.
Sweet - luckily I bought that when i bought stuff from Fraser recently!
So it is just the black plug i think - I have a fair few parts laying around at the moment!!!

Your posts here and on other forums have really helped me with the whole process!

WAY88T
22-10-2009, 09:38 PM
L76 only.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76PCV.jpg

cheers thanks heaps mate

poolkeeper
06-12-2009, 04:21 PM
So for a L76 this is all that needs to be done, correct?

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs005.snc3/11269_231736619551_549849551_4458666_1428620_n.jpg

VX-300
06-12-2009, 07:34 PM

.....yes.....

Carlin1983
06-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I have a L76 and you have saved me posting this question. Many thanks

surfwagon
10-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Here is some intallation information for fitting to LS2/L98/L76 from the Elite website.
http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/corp_0909_c6_corvette_catch_can/photo_01.html

poolkeeper
16-12-2009, 02:58 PM

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs005.snc3/11269_231736619551_549849551_4458666_1428620_n.jpg

So Im cutting the pvc line, then attaching the supplied hose onto the pvc line with just a supplied clamp, no fitting??, and then to the can.

From the can the supplied hose to intake

Sorry for being a dumbarse lol

VX-300
16-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Or keep your plastic PCV line intact.
Get a length of 3/8" ID fuel hose and make yourself 2 hoses.

Hose1
From the nipple on the left rear valve cover to the inlet of your catch can.

Hose2
From the outlet of the catch can to the right front side of the intake manifold.

poolkeeper
16-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah I didnt really want to cut anything... looks like I have to get some more hose.

Thanks for your help VX-300 :goodjob:

Raptor6L
17-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Thanks to all who contributed on this thread. I was scratching my head for quite sometime on how to install one on my L98.

Now i know how to, i spose i better go and get one!

Thanks
Chris

surfwagon
17-12-2009, 06:52 AM
I recently purchased an Elite catch can and they are so well made and easy to fit.
The Elite catchcan might be a little pricey but it only took 15mins to fit and that included putting a 2-5deg bend in the bracket so that the inlet hose cleared the LS2 map sensor.
After a couple of days driving there is already a few mil's of oil in the can.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/surfwagon/DSC01786.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/surfwagon/DSC01785.jpg

Drew SS
25-01-2010, 04:29 AM
just a quick question whats better a sealed catch can or a ventilated 1 im in the process of looking for 1 have read a bit about it if anyone can point me in the right direction of what i should be lookin at i have a 2001 vu ss cheers

Andy

surfwagon
25-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Unless your engine is in really poor condition a sealed one will work perfectly and be legal,
Vented catch can are actually illegal on EPA grounds.
I konw they are expensive but i fitted the Elite Catch Can and couldn't be happier wit fit and how it works.

__________________________________________________ _
my ride: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=121025

brawlr
14-05-2010, 07:31 PM

ok bumping up an old thread. where would i get one of these inline filters?

brycieboy
14-05-2010, 08:32 PM
any auto shop should have them... there just small fuel filters....

goose202
14-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Supercheap have them for about $4.

RB30X
18-07-2010, 01:24 AM
I just finished making up my new catch can out of a piece of 4" stainless exhaust tube. Here is a pic of it before the last dash fitting was welded on.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/RB30X/cd621b40.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/RB30X/b8ec9ee6.jpg

hold_on
19-08-2010, 09:59 AM
guys this is a little confusing, ive got a cv8 monaro with ls1, its got a v1 vortech blower not intercooled at the moment but will be soon, can some one please post up how i can conect up a catch can to it, i also need to know if i have to run a vanted or sealed? ive noticed when i stand on it it pushed the hose off the passenger side rocker cover and blows oil out all over the place....also notice that every now and then the oil pressure light comes on and the dash starts beeping this is during normal driveing and also having fun...could this be due to the s/c causing crank case pressure and pushing the oil to the top of the engine and starving the pick up??would a catch can fix this???its worrying me incase the engine seazes,

MJR-57T
22-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I just finished making up my new catch can out of a piece of 4" stainless exhaust tube. Here is a pic of it before the last dash fitting was welded on.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/RB30X/cd621b40.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/RB30X/b8ec9ee6.jpg

Where are those hoses coming from?

Looks like the rear of the passenger rocker cover and the front of the drivers rocker cover.

Unless the VX setup is different, I thought one went into the manifold behind the TB.

Might just be a hard pic to follow

deano23x
23-08-2010, 06:28 PM
guys this is a little confusing, ive got a cv8 monaro with ls1, its got a v1 vortech blower not intercooled at the moment but will be soon, can some one please post up how i can conect up a catch can to it, i also need to know if i have to run a vanted or sealed? ive noticed when i stand on it it pushed the hose off the passenger side rocker cover and blows oil out all over the place....also notice that every now and then the oil pressure light comes on and the dash starts beeping this is during normal driveing and also having fun...could this be due to the s/c causing crank case pressure and pushing the oil to the top of the engine and starving the pick up??would a catch can fix this???its worrying me incase the engine seazes,

i would also like to know the answer to this please guys!!! anyone?

Cmycv8
23-08-2010, 09:03 PM
OOOKKKKK I fitted an Elite catch can on the weekend on my VY Monaro and after seeing this I a confused as all F***.

I have one line coming from TB and the going from the crank case to the catch can.....ooooo will need to look over it again I think.

macca_779
23-08-2010, 09:37 PM
OOOKKKKK I fitted an Elite catch can on the weekend on my VY Monaro and after seeing this I a confused as all F***.

I have one line coming from TB and the going from the crank case to the catch can.....ooooo will need to look over it again I think.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Should be valley plate to top of can. Side of can to manifold. Its really quite simple when you understand how the PCV system works.

Cmycv8
23-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Ok, got the instructions and this is what I have done.

I have taken the house off (craked, broken and stuffed) the linked the PCV system to the manifold behind the throttle body. Then once the can was installed I placed a hose from the Inlet on the can to the PCV an another to the exit connection to the intake on the manifold behind the TB.

These are the instructions I got of the Elite site for the LS1 and the same ones that came with the unit.

I can email you a pic as I am not validated as yet.

deano23x
23-08-2010, 10:49 PM
my heads going to explode, please e-mail me pics deano23x@hotmail.com, also i have a 02 monaro 5.7 litre vortech charged do i need vented or non vented can? cheers

Cmycv8
24-08-2010, 12:25 AM
From my understanding vented is illegal but what isn't these days.

What do you want me to send fella, PM me.

RABSP
24-08-2010, 12:34 AM
My next big project.

RB30X
02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
The confusion from the pics is because (as I said when I posted them) I hadn't finished making the catch can or installing the hoses.

Here is the finished (completely legal) product.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/RB30X/Picture250639148.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/RB30X/Picture250639147.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/RB30X/Picture250639149.jpg

One -8 hose from the passenger rocker cover to can.
One -6 hose from the drivers rocker to can.
One -6 hose from can, through PCV valve to inlet manifold. (not in photo, PCV was installed after)
One -6 hose from the throttle body to drivers rocker (to supply displacement air)

deano23x
10-09-2010, 09:23 AM
The tube on my throttle body is capped off is that right? I really need to put one of these on asap and need help the more I read the more confused I get as people have there's on differently! Anyone??

RB30X
11-09-2010, 03:37 AM
What exactly do you want to know. I think there is more than enough info in this thread. People have theirs set up differently becuase they have different model LS motors with different factory emmision set ups.

hold_on
11-09-2010, 07:56 AM
What exactly do you want to know. I think there is more than enough info in this thread. People have theirs set up differently becuase they have different model LS motors with different factory emmision set ups.

What do u mean man man I thought I asked a simpe question that that hasn't been answered yer, here I go again......what catch can set up do I use for a 2002 ls1 monaro that's supercharged........ No one has answered this question.....if they have I apologize show me the answer. The car has stock engine with 170k

deano23x
11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
well it a 02 monaro, new imported block, bigger injectors, fuel pump and regulator, 100ml throttle body, 4 into 1 extractors and full exhaust manual and vortech blower] and probs a few other things i have missed, but dunno if i should have vented or sealed can, i have asked alot of people and going to meet bewsa today to check his system out!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/deano23x/IMG_0711.jpg

Cmycv8
11-09-2010, 11:23 AM
well it a 02 monaro, new imported block, bigger injectors, fuel pump and regulator, 100ml throttle body, 4 into 1 extractors and full exhaust manual and vortech blower] and probs a few other things i have missed, but dunno if i should have vented or sealed can, i have asked alot of people and going to meet bewsa today to check his system out!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/deano23x/IMG_0711.jpg

Let me know how you go fella, if you go vented it's illegal so you might want to go the sealed unit.

RB30X
11-09-2010, 12:50 PM
What do u mean man man I thought I asked a simpe question that that hasn't been answered yer, here I go again......what catch can set up do I use for a 2002 ls1 monaro that's supercharged........ No one has answered this question.....if they have I apologize show me the answer. The car has stock engine with 170k

If its so simple, why haven't you figured this out for yourself then, using the info on here.

Where does your hoses currently go into the intake of your engine, the manifold after the supercharger or before?

Do you want a vented (illegal) or sealed catch can? It makes all the difference regarding how you do it.

If you want vented, run your hoses to the can with an external filter.

deano23x
11-09-2010, 05:03 PM
everyone is telling me to go vented cause of the blower,in the current picture i have posted from the valve next to the oil cap it then goes to the back drivers rocker cover and back passenger rocker cover! i met up with bewsa cv8 today and he advised me to block the pipe off the manifold ( the one with the hose on it behind the throttle body) and connect that hose to a vented can!

BLACK 346
11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
everyone is telling me to go vented cause of the blower,in the current picture i have posted from the valve next to the oil cap it then goes to the back drivers rocker cover and back passenger rocker cover! i met up with bewsa cv8 today and he advised me to block the pipe off the manifold ( the one with the hose on it behind the throttle body) and connect that hose to a vented can!

Sounds right. The ones I have blocked are the one on the manifold, the one on the T/B and the rear one on the drivers side tappet cover. I have one hose running from the front drivers side tappet cover to the can and one running from the rear of the passenger side tappet cover to the can :)

deano23x
11-09-2010, 05:30 PM
ok no worres cheers, guess you have a blower aswell? vented or sealed? y is your drivers side rear one blocked? cheers

BLACK 346
11-09-2010, 05:36 PM
ok no worres cheers, guess you have a blower aswell? vented or sealed? y is your drivers side rear one blocked? cheers

No blower, heads and cam, wouldn't mind one though :)
This was how I was advised to set it up by one of the forum sponsors,
and yes it is vented.

deano23x
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
ok thank you again black 346 sounds good! if ya got a pic chuck it up please! cheers

BLACK 346
11-09-2010, 05:42 PM
ok thank you again black 346 sounds good! if ya got a pic chuck it up please! cheers

Sorry don't have any pics, I am a bit slack with that sort of thing.

deano23x
11-09-2010, 05:44 PM
not a problem, once again appreciate your help!

BLACK 346
11-09-2010, 05:48 PM
not a problem, once again appreciate your help!

More than welcome mate :)

SLugg
19-01-2011, 07:13 PM
anypic of an LS3 catch can istall ?:)

madalpinestar
01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
You would still set up a catch can same as the pic below , just replace the short hose that goes from the valley cover to the intake manifold with the hoses that go to and from the catch can , leave the one that goes from the maf pipe to the rocker cover there and if you go otr plumb a hose that gets fresh filtered air from somewhere in between the throttle body and air filter .

I hope someone is able to help, its a bit confusing... i have a vy2, is this the same setup? i have a sealed elite catch can ready to be put in

motorin on
01-04-2012, 04:41 PM
yes I have a VY11 and this is how I have fitted mine

I hope someone is able to help, its a bit confusing... i have a vy2, is this the same setup? i have a sealed elite catch can ready to be put in

motorin on
01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
yeah this doesn't look right to me either after looking at the top photo.It looks like it just circulating the dirty air
if the can never collects oil then it isn't fitted properly,you will know after a month

Where are those hoses coming from?

Looks like the rear of the passenger rocker cover and the front of the drivers rocker cover.

Unless the VX setup is different, I thought one went into the manifold behind the TB.

Might just be a hard pic to follow

motorin on
01-04-2012, 05:01 PM
I have a tip for guy's posting photos like those of catch cans.Put different colour tape or tape with numbers on the hoses so repliers can give help a lot easier

Carlin1983
08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Thought id Post here, instead of starting a new thread.

I have installed a Crate LS3 into my WL Stato, Just checking i have installed catch can right, Previous engine was a L76.

So i have go a hose from under the throttle body, into catch can, then out of catch can into side of throttle body, and i have a bung on the rocker cover passenger side. i have attached pics.

have i done it correct.

Is the PCV internal on the LS3.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6051/catchcan1.jpg

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5984/catchcan2.jpg

Carlin1983
09-08-2012, 06:10 AM
nudge.......

macca_779
09-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Looks fine

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

MPRSV8
13-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Hi All,

What's everyone's thoughts on the Elite catch cans? Also, i see everyone is running plastic lines, could you run braided for a cleaner look?

Matt.

bush_basha
13-08-2012, 10:44 AM
if you search elite catch cans you'll be reading forever, lol. there a great can and yes you could run braided line to make it look neater

chocco
13-08-2012, 12:55 PM
+1 for Elite, I have one on each car.

motorin on
13-08-2012, 05:30 PM
I ran braided line (supplied with D1 Spec can) and it collapsed under suction,ended up going to 3/8" rubber transmission hose

HSV Listy
17-11-2013, 07:15 PM
I have been having some issues with excess oil going to the catch can. Average is about 600 ml per meet so maybe 20 laps at speed on the circuit.
After the last meet the idle is sitting high after giving it some which has never happened before. Once I do a restart it goes back to normal idle.
After some thoughts to help the issue.
It's a vented set up and have been a small issue for years but manageable with duel vents and taping up the dipstick.
Since the new engine it has got worse now several issues are soothed and I can race at speed again. (Non engine issues) . It's a fully rebuilt engine so it a stock ls1 with heads and cam so nothing over the top.

Maybe some ideas even those with 8tb set ups

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/HSVListy/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd75bc6f0.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/HSVListy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd75bc6f0.jpg.html)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/HSVListy/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc60d6dd6.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/HSVListy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc60d6dd6.jpg.html)

Passenger side

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/HSVListy/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6cadbae3.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/HSVListy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6cadbae3.jpg.html)

Drivers side

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/HSVListy/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4a2787d3.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/HSVListy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4a2787d3.jpg.html)

Benno25
17-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi Listy,
Do you still have the one way check valve that came on the stock PCV system hooked up somehow? I'm not sure how the LS1 PCV system was hooked up as the LS3 is a little different.
Mine has a breather in place of the oil cap to draw fresh air in. The outlet from the valley cover then goes through a sealed catch can and then a vacuum line to the back of the hurricane. I've never had any issues, however my car doesn't do sustained high revs all the time like yours.
Cheers
Benno

HSV Listy
18-11-2013, 10:19 AM
The PVC is on the passenger side cover and the hose comes off that. Photo posted as above

Just looking and it seems different to stock as the passenger side oil take off from the pcv goes straight to the catch can. Standard set up it would go through the throttle body then to the can (correct me if wrong) would this affect the vent system

Not sure what the go is running a 8tb is

Both hoses from the valve covers, go straight to the can. No going via the intake.

Also in corners would there be enough GeForce to get liquid oil to go high enough in the valve covers to actually send oil down the tubing into the catch can.

Also does going hard around corners cause a siphon affect to draw oil back to the can. Surly 600mm oil in 30km hard driving in corners would not be possible for vapour only

HSV Listy
19-11-2013, 10:43 AM
The back of the 8tb has three outlets, one goes to the brake one to the normal vacuum line for ac etc and the third has a hose but is plugged off
Not sure if I am supposed to use that. Any thoughts

smash69
19-11-2013, 04:45 PM
The outlet in the front of the drivers side cover is actually for fresh clean 'make up' air, which flows into the engine when using the standard PCV system. This is supposed to draw from in front of the throttle plate on a standard throttle body, to make up air that is drawn out via a correctly functioning sealed PCV system.
The outlet at the rear of the passenger cover is a PCV outlet (early LS style), which should flow thru a PCV valve then into the throttle body, behind the throttle plate (vac).

In your setup, you are probably filling the passenger rocker cover, at least to a point, via high revs and g force, and vacuming out liquid oil straight to the can. This is also common with PD supercharger setups using the rocker cover outlet. Your current vacuum seems to be only supplied to the can by the suction of the fresh air make up on the drivers rocker cover.

Can you switch to a later LS6 valley style PCV outlet? These are baffled better, and work better.

I'm no expert with 8tb setups, but I would run dual cans, sealed system.

Valley PCV outlet (ideally), or passenger outlet to PCV valve to Catch Can dirty side then Catch can clean side to Vac port.
Drivers side rocker port to 2nd catch can then to low vac filtered air.

This is similar to what I run on my PD charged 402. Before I set it up this way, I was running similar to yours, and was pulling 3-400mls in a couple hundred k's, now significantly less.
Ditching the passenger side cover PCV for a valley setup should yield the biggest difference.
By the way, Saikou Michi in the US custom makes catch cans to your specs, I got my dual cans, for well under 200 bucks, delivered.

HSV Listy
19-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Great into. The info I was looking for. I will get me head around the above and go from there

IJ.
19-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Had to totally redesign the system on my L98 as the E-Force deletes the Valley PCV...

smash69
19-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Great into. The info I was looking for. I will get me head around the above and go from there

No probs. When I had my issues, I had to do a lot of research, as there seems to be a limited understanding of correctly functioning PCV systems by many.
The system is not purely designed as a vent, it should actually vacuum out the combustion by-products as well, thereby keeping your oil healthier and so on.

PM me if I can help.

cronic
24-10-2014, 01:46 AM
Hey guys, sorry to dig up an old thread for my first post but I figure it's probably best to keep all the info in the same thread for other readers. Loving these forums just signed up recently and have spent hours and hours reading.
Anyway I've got a VZ SS with an LS1 and I'm in the process of doing a few things to it, one of which is that I want to fit a catch can before I fit my OTR.

I have read through this thread twice now, and think I understand the setup, but I want to check that I am understanding correctly as the VZ looks a bit different to some of these pics.

Anyway I just whipped these up in paint, I'm still not sure if I want to fork out $200+ for an elite catch can, so was thinking of getting one of the cheaper vented ones off ebay.
Can anyone offer a recommendation? I am not sure if either one is superior to the other? I don't care about the legality it won't be the first thing I get pulled up for..

Also just realized I did a shit job numbering em but it will do, sorry if it's harder to follow.

Sealed can:
2) Crank case -> 5) Can IN
6) Can OUT -> 1) Intake manifold
3) Rocker cover breather -> 4) Filtered intake (or into my OTR once fitted which has a hole drilled)
http://i.imgur.com/3h6baV5.jpg

Vented can:
1) Rocker cover breather -> 2) Can IN
5) Cover up as no longer needed
3&4) Anything need to be done with these? Or OK as is?
http://i.imgur.com/iOEiwOf.jpg

I found this youtube video showing install process for a vented can, and they just run 1 hose as shown above and that's it, is it that easy on a VZ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sIMNq_dK6Q

Cheers guys.

macca_779
24-10-2014, 12:15 PM
You got it right in the first pic. And leave 3 and 4 alone

cronic
24-10-2014, 12:34 PM
You got it right in the first pic. And leave 3 and 4 alone

Thanks mate, I'm pretty green so just wanted to be sure. I assume both pics are right. :)
Cheers.

Woodchukka
24-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Referring to the second picture. The crank breather comes from the valley plate so it needs to go to the can then blank off the port in behind the throttle body (others step in if I am incorrect). Leave the 1 and 5 alone as that is a fresh air feed for the crankcase. I.e. air going in not out.

cronic
31-10-2014, 11:55 PM
I wasn't impressed with the selection of ebay catch cans while shopping around, and I wanted to get one of the elite catch cans, but then I came across the saiko michi website and decided to go with one of their cans instead as they look pretty decent. I emailed to ask about getting one similar to the elite made and they said they already make one, it just wasn't on the website. Anyway here is a pic, looks to be much better than most of the cheap ones on ebay and also a lot cheaper than an elite. Also comes with a similar mounting bracket for easy install.

Anyone tried one of these?

Design:
http://i.imgur.com/fYyAw4Q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7lea4mM.jpg

Micks
01-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Have a can installed with bottom drain as yours illustrated but find it much easier/cleaner to remove it to empty!

cronic
02-11-2014, 02:48 AM
cheers Micks, looks like it will be easy enough to just remove and clean if required, will try to post up a pic and give my opinion on the quality when it arrives, won't be for a few weeks though.