PDA

View Full Version : Should Holden import the Chevy Silverado ?

Hamico
06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Now that the Hi-lux has become Australia's top selling vehicle, and with the market for light trucks booming, mines, industry, farming etc. can't get enough of them, and with the Rodeo on it's way out.........should Holden import the Chevy Silverado 1500, 2500 models and even some duallies ?

Toyota's manager of national sales as even acknowledged:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Toyota’s divisional manager, national sales, Tony Cramb, says the 3814 HiLux sales were a result of improved supply of the vehicle from Thailand.

“The demand has always been there, it was really just a case of freeing up supply from the factory,” he says.

“The mining boom in Western Australia and Queensland has been a factor and we’ve also seen more demand from farmers in areas where the drought has broken,” he says.

There is also a growing demand from private buyers, particularly for diesel four-wheel-drive “double cab” models with five seats.

“A lot of people are customising their trucks like over in the US. The 4WD double cab diesel is really hot at the moment and a lot of that is lifestyle driven,” he says.

Now is no better time to at least try and combat the rampant Toyota Hi-lux with a better product, the Silverado 1500 which is similar in size to the Hi-lux but with more power and better ride and comfort is the logical step up.

Holden must take the light truck market more seriously instead of sitting on their hands and watching Toyota slowly but surely bury them in sales.

BADTMPRD
06-05-2008, 10:25 PM
I reckon a yes...my bro had one in the sates, I loved it. More room, towing capictity etc etc. Pretty much same drivline as my ute but with a hell of a lot more room. It was a space cab..which is about the same size as our so called duel cabs. Id but one.

sszute
06-05-2008, 10:34 PM
the only problem is they will be dearer then the hilux and you can already bye them from importers

mustanger
06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
What engine options are available for the Silverado?

Jac001
06-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Is the silverado made in RHD?

Marco
06-05-2008, 11:03 PM
If it isn't made in RHD, it should be. Holden really ought to raid the GM catalogue worldwide and get their hands on as much good stuff as possible to sell here.

Hamico
06-05-2008, 11:37 PM
the only problem is they will be dearer then the hilux and you can already bye them from importers

The private importers are adding on all their importing + labour costs converting them to right-hand-drive which is why they are expensive and obviously limits their sales.

However, if Holden or GM can do the conversions to R/H/D in-house it would make them a hell of sight cheaper.

If Toyota can sell a $65,000 TRD Hi-lux than what's stopping Holden selling a better Silverado for $70,000 or $80,000 ?

sszute
06-05-2008, 11:46 PM
The private importers are adding on all their importing + labour costs converting them to right-hand-drive which is why they are expensive and obviously limits their sales.

However, if Holden or GM can do the conversions to R/H/D in-house it would make them a hell of sight cheaper.

If Toyota can sell a $65,000 TRD Hi-lux than what's stopping Holden selling a better Silverado for $70,000 or $80,000 ?

It would be hard for them to break into the mining industries toyota and nissan already have that tide up but in saying that the way the f250 sold there is one hell of a market for them another stupid thing fords done by dropping the f series

Hamico
06-05-2008, 11:50 PM
If it isn't made in RHD, it should be. Holden really ought to raid the GM catalogue worldwide and get their hands on as much good stuff as possible to sell here.

Agreed Marco.

Try getting Holden to sit up and take notice of their customers though ?

Holden sales are tanking and they have no one to blame but themselves.

What engine options are available for the Silverado?

Vortec 4.3L V6
Vortec 4.8L V8
Vortec 5.3L V8
Vortec 6.0L V8

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vortec 4.3L V6 engine features:

195 horsepower @ 4600 rpm
260 lb.-ft. of torque @ 2800 rpm
EPA estimated MPG 15 city/20 highway in 2WD models
EPA estimated MPG 14 city/18 highway in 4x4 models
Standard Hydra-Matic four-speed automatic transmission
Cast-iron cylinder heads with roller rocker arms and hydraulic roller lifters
A high-capacity cast-iron crankshaft that's been internally balanced
A Powertrain Control Module that continuously measures input to achieve optimized engine performance and smooth transmission shifts
A coolant-loss protection feature that allows Silverado to be driven a limited distance at a reduced speed in order to reach a service facility even if a catastrophic reduction in the coolant level has occurred
Extended-life spark plugs and engine coolant(1)
1 Maintenance needs vary with different uses and driving conditions. See the Owner's Manual for more information.

Vortec 4.8L V8 engine features:

295 horsepower @ 5600 rpm
305 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4800 rpm
EPA estimated MPG 14 city/19 highway in 2WD models
A cast-iron crankshaft with undercut and rolled fillets
Cast-aluminum cylinder heads that feature a low-friction roller-rocker valvetrain
Electronic Throttle Control that provides outstanding throttle response, greater reliability and improved efficiency
A fast, smart Engine Control Module with plenty of
memory synchronizes the multitude of engine operations that occur every split second
A thermoplastic composite intake manifold that helps keep the air intake cool, and equal-length runners feature smooth interior passages to promote high-speed airflow to each cylinder
A coil-near-plug ignition system for a precise delivery of high-energy spark
A coolant-loss protection feature that allows Silverado to be driven a limited distance at a reduced speed in order to reach a service facility even if a catastrophic reduction in the coolant level has occurred
1 Maintenance needs vary with different uses and driving conditions. See the Owner's Manual for more information.

Vortec 5.3L iron-block V8 engine features:

315 horsepower @ 5200 rpm
338 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4400 rpm
EPA estimated MPG 14 city/19 highway in 4x4 models
Cast-aluminum cylinder heads that feature a low-friction roller-rocker valvetrain
Electronic Throttle Control that provides outstanding throttle response, greater reliability and improved efficiency
memory synchronizes the multitude of engine operations that occur every split second
A thermoplastic composite intake manifold that helps keep the air intake cool, and equal-length runners feature smooth interior passages to promote high-speed airflow to each cylinder
Hydraulic engine mounts for improved vibration isolation
A coolant-loss protection feature that allows the Silverado to be driven a limited distance at a reduced speed in order to reach a service facility even if a catastrophic reduction in the coolant level has occurred

Vortec MAX 6.0L V8 engine features:

Thundering 367 horsepower @ 5500 rpm
375 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4300 rpm
More horsepower than any half-ton engine offered by Ford, Dodge or Nissan(1)
EPA estimated MPG 13 city/18 highway in 2WD models
EPA estimated MPG 13 city/17 highway in 4x4 models
High-speed air movement deep inside the combustion chamber, which generates a better fuel-to-air mixture
Variable Valve Timing (VVT) technology that optimizes combustion, enhances low-end torque and high-end power, promotes fuel efficiency, and helps lower emissions
High-flow cast-aluminum cylinder heads that feature a low-friction roller-rocker valvetrain
A fast, smart Engine Control Module with plenty of memory synchronizes the multitude of engine operations that occur every split second
1 Based on 2007 GM Large Pickup segment and latest available competitive information.

macca_779
07-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Having just recently been to the states and driven 3 sorts of Trucks we had as hire cars I can honestly say that of the 3 that the Silverado was the worst of them.. The others were F150's and Nissan TITAN's. Strangly enough it was the TITAN that got my nod. A 5.6L V8 in a dual cab truck that's bigger than an F-150 and about the same as the Chev. But my god does the Nissan go compared to the other two. Selective 4WD is always cool and it works really well in the Nissan. There is plenty of grunt to turn the tyres with throttle alone which is nice for such a big truck.

All I can say is screw the Chev's and Ford Pick Ups. Bring in the Jap stuff.

http://www.nissanusa.com/titan/index.html

irvbulldogs72
07-05-2008, 03:17 AM
Agreed Marco.

Try getting Holden to sit up and take notice of their customers though ?

Holden sales are tanking and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Vortec 4.3L V6
Vortec 4.8L V8
Vortec 5.3L V8
Vortec 6.0L V8

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vortec 4.3L V6 engine features:

195 horsepower @ 4600 rpm
260 lb.-ft. of torque @ 2800 rpm
Cast-iron cylinder heads with roller rocker arms and hydraulic roller lifters
A high-capacity cast-iron crankshaft that's been internally balanced
A Powertrain Control Module that continuously measures input to achieve optimized engine performance and smooth transmission shifts

Vortec 4.8L V8 engine features:

295 horsepower @ 5600 rpm
305 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4800 rpm
EPA estimated MPG 14 city/19 highway in 2WD models

Vortec 5.3L iron-block V8 engine features:

315 horsepower @ 5200 rpm
338 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4400 rpm
EPA estimated MPG 14 city/19 highway in 4x4 models
A coolant-loss protection feature that allows the Silverado to be driven a limited distance at a reduced speed in order to reach a service facility even if a catastrophic reduction in the coolant level has occurred

Vortec MAX 6.0L V8 engine features:

Thundering 367 horsepower @ 5500 rpm
375 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4300 rpm
More horsepower than any half-ton engine offered by Ford, Dodge or Nissan(1)
EPA estimated MPG 13 city/18 highway in 2WD models
EPA estimated MPG 13 city/17 highway in 4x4 models
High-speed air movement deep inside the combustion chamber, which generates a better fuel-to-air mixture
Variable Valve Timing (VVT) technology that optimizes combustion, enhances low-end torque and high-end power, promotes fuel efficiency, and helps lower emissions
High-flow cast-aluminum cylinder heads that feature a low-friction roller-rocker valvetrain
A fast, smart Engine Control Module with plenty of memory synchronizes the multitude of engine operations that occur every split second
1 Based on 2007 GM Large Pickup segment and latest available competitive information.

You forgot that the 6.0 and 5.3 both have Active Fuel Management, which cuts 4 cylinders at highway cruising and whenever the extra torque isn't needed. My GTO is at the dealer right now and I ended up with a 4.8L 1500 Crew Cab LT. I absolutely love it. I want to sell my GTO (not really) go and get a Sierra Denali now, with the 6L80 and the 6.2.

My loaner.

http://a443.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/81/l_9dfd93245dfd384968ec0c417b2f7c82.jpg

Desertws6
07-05-2008, 03:22 AM
Don't mean to spoil Hamico's thread, Or change the topic. Sounds like we have a lot more trucks that you folks.
Yes, I think Holden should import Chevy trucks. I don't see why a RHD conversion model could not be done.

My experience with trucks in the US.

Currently own a 1978 chevy truck with a 350ci. Could buy a new one, but love the old truck. Runs great and parts are dirt cheap. Bought it in 06 from the 80yr old neighbor. Only had 71,500miles on it. Have not tried pulling anything with it yet, No Trailer.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/2316219206_f6aa8673db.jpg?v=0

Nissan: Mate bought Nissan Frontier (small truck) with a V6 and a supercharger, ran well, and even during light throttle conditions it drank a lot of petrol. Best milage ever was 15mpg on the highway 15.41L/100km, he sold it.

Toyota: Very dependable small truck, don't know anyone with a Titan. Mate test drove one and said it had guts. Will tow 10,000lbs.

Ford: 2 Mates have owned Ford Trucks
1. Mate has a F-350 with a powerstroke turbo diesel, has a lot of bugs in it for 60,000 miles. Throttle position sensor, cam sensor. Towed it home using a chevy truck. Very noisy diesel
2. Mate had F-150 Truck was plagued with Transmission problems, 2 new transmissions in 1 1/2 years. Never flogged it, or took it off-road.

Dodge: Brother works for divsion of Chrysler corp. Dodge has some issues with Transmissions, My brother found and fixed the problem. Has a Cummins Diesel (6cylinder, turbo)
Know a mate locally here, that built his diesel up to 900hp and 1200lbs of torque. It was truly amazing to watch oversize dually tyres smoking as long as he wanted to do it.

Chevy and GMC: same truck different trime levels, GMC a little nicer. My Dad has owned Chevy and GMC trucks for the 34 years. All have been excellent products and very dependable. The latest one is a monster @ 8,000lbs, 4 door with 8ft bed, 4wheel drive and a 6.6L Duramax turbo diesel (V8). He uses it for pulling, and it does the job very effectively. Unloaded milage 16mpg 14.45L/100km.
With this configuration it will tow 15,900lbs, And still rides like a car.

Duramax Specs:
365hp / 660ft torque

Towing Specs:

http://www.gmc.com/sierra/3500/specsCapabilities.jsp

Mum & Dads rig: The 5th wheel camper is 40ft long and weighs in at 13,000lbs. loaded.
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/stevespontiacgarage/our20first20trip20with20new20traile.jpg

Chevy has been advertising new hybid SUV's here
http://www.chevrolet.com/hybrid/articles/index.jsp?id=3
Claiming to get 21mpg city/ 22mpg highway or 11.01L/100km & 10.5L/100km, if I did the math correctly.
Curious as to when they will add pick-ups as hybrids.

Cheers,
Steve

irvbulldogs72
07-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Curious as to when they will add pick-ups as hybrids.

Cheers,
Steve

2009 Sierra Hybrid.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra-hybrid/

That's cool and all, but the Denali is still the one for me.

http://www.sportruck.com/news/2007-GMC-Sierra-Denali/sierra-denali.jpg

chevypower
07-05-2008, 03:54 AM
I was driving my brother in law's 2001 Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 on Monday, and even with the 5.3, it has guts! I decided to see what the 08 crew cab 5.3 drives like, and it drives like a nice car! (But you still get all the good feelings of driving a large pickup) A lot more so than the 01 model. I am trying to get one for my work vehicle. I would think the 1500 models are sufficient for Australia, it is soon available with a 4.5L V8 Duramax diesel with a 6 speed auto, which should be quite economical, and powerful. There is barely any fuel economy difference between the 4.8 and 5.3, but there seems to be a bit of a difference between the 5.3 and 6.0 - I would go for the 5.3 or wait for the new 4.5 diesel.

planetdavo
07-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Why wont they?
I see three reasons...
1- Fuel prices.
2- Limited market (these biggies do have a limited market people)
3- The "Suburban Experience". That was also tipped to be big, and it bombed spectacularly!

PS: The Rodeo is being replaced by the Colorado shortly, simply because Holden are no longer allowed to use the Rodeo name. Similar vehicle in many ways.

V-Car
07-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Holden did build Chevy trucks here in the past, the last one in the late 70's after a gap of some 20 odd years from the mid 50's.

The last ones were C20 (2WD) and K20 (4WD) LWB base and Silverado versions much like Desertws6' white 78 above.
They sold reasonably well, but was only a half hearted attemt by Holden (as usual), only came with a 250ci straight 6, and sold nowhere near as well as Ford did with their local F100/150/250/350/Bronco's etc.

The later Suburban effort was also half hearted, and cynical buyers saw right through it and stayed away in droves.
Built in Mexico with a much narrower RHD dash from Indonesian built S10 Blazers.
Would probably have sold much better if they had introduced the shorter Tahoe instead of the LWB Suburban.
For the small amount they would sell here, it wouldnt be worth their while to engineer RHD versions of the latest trucks.

However, Toyota and Nissan have the large SUV market tied up here, and serious users dont really give the US grey imports a second look due to lack of outback after sales support from the importers.
Latest Navara's these days are almost as big as an F150 anyway.

I had a couple of imported C10 Stepsides in the 80's, here is one of them.

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~reccie/C10-2.jpg

Space Pope
07-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Holden had a crack at the US truck/SUV mmarket ten or so years back wth the Suburban. It was an abject failure and they dropped the idea reasonably quickly

As much as I like the idea of trucks being sold here, the economics don't support it becoming a reality,

There's the shipping costs for as start and with petrol prices on the up, I'm not sure these heavy V8's would be selling terribly well, even with DoD and hybrid fuel capability (if and when E85 ever shows up here).

I do see a few F150's running around out here but I'm not sure if they are specialty conversions or not, which raises another issue of whether the Silverado is flogged in a right-hand drive configuration or not. If Chev have to tool up for a limiited RHD market , chances are you'll NEVER see them out here. Perhaps a few specialty imports converted and complianced might raise there head from time to time but that might be about it.

One truck I like there in the States is the Toyota Tundra - they're a decent piece of engineering and come with up to a 5.7 litre V8, so grunt is there if you want it. (I kinda prefer the GMC's and Ford F250's for looks though).

Desertws6
07-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Why wont they?
I see three reasons...
1- Fuel prices.
2- Limited market (these biggies do have a limited market people)
3- The "Suburban Experience". That was also tipped to be big, and it bombed spectacularly!

There's the shipping costs for as start and with petrol prices on the up, I'm not sure these heavy V8's would be selling terribly well, even with DoD and hybrid fuel capability (if and when E85 ever shows up here).

One truck I like there in the States is the Toyota Tundra - they're a decent piece of engineering and come with up to a 5.7 litre V8, so grunt is there if you want it. (I kinda prefer the GMC's and Ford F250's for looks though).

Going back to the original post by Hamico:
"Now that the Hi-lux has become Australia's top selling vehicle, and with the market for light trucks booming, mines, industry, farming etc. can't get enough of them, and with the Rodeo on it's way out.........should Holden import the Chevy Silverado 1500, 2500 models and even some duallies ? "

I see 2 mentions of petrol prices, and the original discussion was for mines, industry and farming. Did you buy your V8 for the milage? Rather difficult to put a 2,000lbs of bricks in the back of a UTE SS. I use my truck for Construction, the V6 car is used for milage, the LS1 is reserved for the days I feel like a Hoon. :rofl: (Just kidding)

As a Daily driver with fuel prices on the rise, Trucks are not a good idea. But then again neither is a V8. As for Transportation to Australia, returning ships from the West Coast of the US that finished bringing G8's here could return full with trucks.

Cheers,
Steve

Pickles
07-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Just a thought. If there was a worthwhile market for this type of larger Ute/SUV type vehicle, then Ford obviously coudln't find it, as they've discontinued imports of their F series,--so perhaps the market's not here.
Cheers, Pickles.

chevypower
07-05-2008, 01:26 PM
The Silverado 1500 is the most fuel efficient full size V8 pickup in America, and I would say (from experience too) the 5.3 is similar in fuel economy to the 4L V6 Hilux. I don't think the Suburban was ever expected to sell well in Australia... it was only offered from a couple dealerships per state. The RHD conversion was a crap job (call it factory built if you so wish), and the new Chevy's GMT900 half-ton truck platform (Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado 1500) feels refined and is very car like to drive. I guess it's fair to say that as Holdens improved much since the VS Commodore, and Ford Aus improved since the AU Falcon, the Chevrolet division of GM seems to have improved equally as much

Dacious
07-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Ford sold 3 F250s last month. They're dropping F-series because of poor sales, and they won't meet new ADRs soon to arrive in current form.

The Hilux is selling well because you can buy a loaded one for less than the price of a loaded car or SUV if you're a private buyer (leather, options). It looks 'tough' even though it tows less than the average sedan, it's cheap to run and insure as a commercial vehicle. It is high off the road so the average turkey feels safe, even if they aren't particularly. It seats five people, if the rear seat passengers are small or unimportant to you.

Because they're made in Thailand the whitegoods version bought by miners and farmers is seriously cheap - the fleet-farm price is almost a giveaway, they're conservative and it's a Toyo. The miners can afford to run 'em into the ground and turn them over fast.

Chev doesn't make a single RHD model in the Americas, so an official import is unlikely, but it it did there are no good diesels (probably half hiluxes are) and it would cost 50% more to buy and probably approaching 100% more to run.

Very unlikely to seriously make a dent - and F-series were no great advertisement for US truck strength compared to Landcruisers and Patrols for mines.

Look at Hummer - last month they sold 129 here. That is about all you could expect to sell of Silverados once the one percenters have bought theirs to collect broken-down Harleys and collect bulk ingredients of amphetamines.

That isn't going to be even noticed by Toyota.

The Colorado is the Rodeo with a different clip - Holden owns the plant, Isuzu don't so the name will change but not much else will.

chevypower
07-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Dacious, Ford Australia dropped the F series because they had no choice. Last I heard, they are trying to get it back again, and I doubt they will get RHD production for it again until Ford (Global) are out of the Navistar contract. Ford Australia have had deposits from customers and people demanding it.
Mines? I was just at the world's largest open pit copper mine, here in Utah (owned by Rio Tinto) and their fleet is F250 crew cab with Triton V10s. I guess they are reluctant to pay $80,000 for them in Australia? I suppose all over the world, you will see a different fleet.
F-series were not even imported in to Australia in 2008, so i am amazed they even made the sales figures last month. In 2002, Navistar stopped making the 7.3 diesel V8, and replaced it with a 6L V8. Ford Aus, stockpiled the 7.3 engines which eventually ran out. (That is where you saw Ford Aus appear to pull the plug on them) Ford US will be replacing the Navistar 6.4 V8 diesel with their own 6.7L V8 as well as a 4.4L V8 diesel. Obviously these won't be available until the factory in Chihuahua, Mexico is set up and Ford are out of their current contract with Navistar, who I am sure they absolutely hate!
Dacious, from what i hear the Duramax 6.6L V8 is a great diesel engine, so I am not sure what you mean by "no good diesels" the 3L 4cyl Hilux diesel is gutless. There is a smaller 4.5L V8 diesel coming out, and GM are bringing out a 2.9L V6 diesel. I love diesels, so hopefully GTL diesel fuel will soon become a reality and cheap to produce. The Toyota diesel would not meet 50 state emissions, and it is really outdated.

German Statesman
07-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Ford retail the 2WD petrol-engined F250 only at present, and you'll be lucky to find one in this configuration.

The 7.3 did not meet the revised emission regulations which came into effect in Jan '06 as did many other diesels - the lucky ones were turbo-ed which enabled them to meet the new rules.

I've heard execs at Ford are presenting a business case to Dearborn along the same lines as what we have seen in this thread, for the new F Series and 6.0 litre diesel engine, again to be assembled RHD in Brazil.

Holden's half-heartedness at previous efforts is to their detriment - the new Silverado range is the best yet, and I've read Chrysler execs are well on their way to bringing Rams out here.

So much for a valuable range of commercial vehicles to take on and tackle Toyota with...a lightweight range of Rodeo/Colorado variants does not worry the Toyota boys one iota, and they would give their left nuts to have the Tundras here in RHD with the 4.5 twin turbo diesel.

chevypower
07-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I've heard execs at Ford are presenting a business case to Dearborn along the same lines as what we have seen in this thread, for the new F Series and 6.0 litre diesel engine, again to be assembled RHD in Brazil.

Sorry to be writing so much on here people... just trying to get the facts out. The 6L V8 was also from Navistar and was changed to the 6.4 (also built by Navistar) The Navistar contract ends in 2010/11? because of problems with the 6.0 engine that Navistar didn't rectify. The Ford built "Scorpion" 6.7L V8 diesel will replace the Navistar supplied diesel.

sszute
07-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Just a thought. If there was a worthwhile market for this type of larger Ute/SUV type vehicle, then Ford obviously coudln't find it, as they've discontinued imports of their F series,--so perhaps the market's not here.
Cheers, Pickles.

the f series came from brazil when they imported them and if there wasnt a market why are people paying more money now for the then they where brought for one of my mates just traded in his f250 diesel d/cab and made 15k on it and it had 100000km's on the clock it did take a couple of months for them to start to sell but once they started they couldnt keep up with them and then the emissions changed so they couldnt do it hence why toyota rushed the landcruiser to the v8 turbo for the same reason

Hamico
07-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Ford sold 3 F250s last month. They're dropping F-series because of poor sales, and they won't meet new ADRs soon to arrive in current form.

Wrong.......and Wrong. :rolleyes:

The Ford factory in South America that built the only R/H/D F-series trucks closed down, this is only reason why Ford Australia don't sell them anymore.

Tom Gorman has previously said they would have loved to have kept selling the F-series as the demand was there from industry, farmers, mines and some private sales.

The day Ford can find a factory to build the F-series in R/H/D they will be on the first boat back to Australia.

lux_06
07-05-2008, 06:02 PM
i wouldnt worry about the silverado....

this is faaaaaaar more likely to make it here tho.

http://www.automobilemag.com/future_cars/2008/0609_2009_hummer_h3_pickup/index.html

but i dont think its the cars that are the problem, for this part of the market its toughness and reputation, and american things just dont stack up against the japanses stuff. especially highlux....

sszute
07-05-2008, 06:14 PM

http://www.automobilemag.com/future_cars/2008/0609_2009_hummer_h3_pickup/index.html

but i dont think its the cars that are the problem, for this part of the market its toughness and reputation, and american things just dont stack up against the japanses stuff. especially highlux....

ill bye one of them that looks tough as :bow:

V-Car
07-05-2008, 06:55 PM

This 4 door Crewman version of the H3 would be the one we'd get rather than the 2 door.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/gallery/h3t/Hummer3T_1.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/9796/2009-hummer-h3t-pick-up-revealed/

planetdavo
07-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Going back to the original post by Hamico:
"Now that the Hi-lux has become Australia's top selling vehicle, and with the market for light trucks booming, mines, industry, farming etc. can't get enough of them, and with the Rodeo on it's way out.........should Holden import the Chevy Silverado 1500, 2500 models and even some duallies ? "

I see 2 mentions of petrol prices, and the original discussion was for mines, industry and farming. Did you buy your V8 for the milage? Rather difficult to put a 2,000lbs of bricks in the back of a UTE SS. I use my truck for Construction, the V6 car is used for milage, the LS1 is reserved for the days I feel like a Hoon. :rofl: (Just kidding)

As a Daily driver with fuel prices on the rise, Trucks are not a good idea. But then again neither is a V8. As for Transportation to Australia, returning ships from the West Coast of the US that finished bringing G8's here could return full with trucks.

Cheers,
Steve
The mining boom has been going for a while, including when the Ford F series was readily available.
Did a lot of people buy them, including mining, industry and farming types?

NO!

This is not the right sort of vehicle for most people, so most people don't buy them!
Pretty simple maths.

Now to p!ss a few people off....
MOST people that dig this kind of vee-hicle are much the same as the rednecks in the US that dig this sort of vee-hicle. For everyone else, they are simply a massive, fuel guzzling waste of money, when you can save money, save running costs, and simply buy what really is a smarter business decision, the ute or the one tonner.

Pickles
07-05-2008, 08:10 PM
the f series came from brazil when they imported them and if there wasnt a market why are people paying more money now for the then they where brought for one of my mates just traded in his f250 diesel d/cab and made 15k on it and it had 100000km's on the clock it did take a couple of months for them to start to sell but once they started they couldnt keep up with them and then the emissions changed so they couldnt do it hence why toyota rushed the landcruiser to the v8 turbo for the same reason
No problem with those comments at all.
I never said there wasn't ANY market--of course there is. The question is, Is that market big enough to warrant importation?" I don't think it is.
Cheers, Pickles.

planetdavo
07-05-2008, 08:38 PM
No problem with those comments at all.
I never said there wasn't ANY market--of course there is. The question is, Is that market big enough to warrant importation?" I don't think it is.
Cheers, Pickles.
Martin, aren't you aware that some members of this forum think that Holden are shafting us all by not doing something, even if it only means one single sale! :confused:

sszute
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Martin, aren't you aware that some members of this forum think that Holden are shafting us all by not doing something, even if it only means one single sale! :confused:

what makes you think there would be only one sale

planetdavo
07-05-2008, 08:47 PM
what makes you think there would be only one sale
I think you've missed my point.
Some on here think they deserve anything they wish for, no matter whether it'll ever make money or not. That was the "one single sale" call!

HOWQUICK
07-05-2008, 08:54 PM
The mining boom has been going for a while, including when the Ford F series was readily available.
Did a lot of people buy them, including mining, industry and farming types?

NO!

This is not the right sort of vehicle for most people, so most people don't buy them!
Pretty simple maths.

Now to p!ss a few people off....
MOST people that dig this kind of vee-hicle are much the same as the rednecks in the US that dig this sort of vee-hicle. For everyone else, they are simply a massive, fuel guzzling waste of money, when you can save money, save running costs, and simply buy what really is a smarter business decision, the ute or the one tonner.

That is just plain stupid.

I know many Racecar teams that utilise the Fords as dual purpose tow vehicles. They aren't guzzlers once the factory settings are removed and offer great economy for high way cruising......far from Redneck Central.

Utes and tonners have there place JUST as the larger vehicles do. Regardless of fuel cost people have uses for them that can't be satisfied by smaller vehicles.

Toyotas are popular with mine owners as they are CHEAP. Once the crews have finished with them....they aren't worth shit so cheap buy in is less running overheads. Why feed strawberries to pigs?

sszute
07-05-2008, 08:57 PM
I think you've missed my point.
Some on here think they deserve anything they wish for, no matter whether it'll ever make money or not. That was the "one single sale" call!

yeah i agree with you in that point. But i do think theres a market just putting on 2 flame suits its goin to get firey holden wouldnt be able to get into the market with the silverado because there not good enough

Excellent
07-05-2008, 09:51 PM
That isn't going to be even noticed by Toyota.

Is any vehicle/maker ever going to challenge Toyota's stranglehold on 4WDs? I'm beginning to doubt it very much given how weak and lacklustre the competition has been to offer anything worthy in that segment.

chevypower
08-05-2008, 12:11 AM
the Silverado uses less fuel than the Hummer H3, even when both have the same 5.3L V8 engine. Gosh, if Holden can sell a RHD Silverado cheaper than Ford could sell the F250, they would be on to a winner. The way for Holden to do that is to select few of the many model choices.
They should only sell the Silverado 1500 and Tahoe SUV (that shares the same stuff)
Engine choices should only be 5.3L V8 petrol and 4.5L V8 diesel
Cab choices should be extended cab with long bed and crew cab with short bed. (this cuts down on the number of possible configurations dramatically).
Trim level choices should be 1LT with 6 seats and LTZ with 5 seats.
4x2 and 4x4 should of course be optional on all configurations. 4x4 should be standard on the Tahoe of course. Pricing should be around $45,000 for Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x2 petrol 1LT, up to $70k for LTZ crew cab or LTZ Tahoe 4x4 V8 diesel.

sszute
08-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Is any vehicle/maker ever going to challenge Toyota's stranglehold on 4WDs? I'm beginning to doubt it very much given how weak and lacklustre the competition has been to offer anything worthy in that segment.

You will never be able to beat the Landcruiser ute the patrol just aint as tough and realiable as for the hilux its liveng on the cruisers name i dont know how there selling them they dont even tow 3t
just my 2c

Desertws6
08-05-2008, 02:19 AM
On the topic of pricing, I suspect the Aussies are getting the short end of the stick.
Just looking into a possible move to Australia, the government charges 10% of the value as an import tariff into the country, EVEN if you have owned the vehicle for several years.
With that said, I suspect you folks may have over inflated prices to some extent. The government has to manage to keep it self going financially.
The current estimated population for Australia in 2008 is 21million people, and the United States is estimated 304million for 2008. Just the population of the state of California alone is 36 million.

I believe our group buying power has a major effect on low pricing.

I honestly feel for ya Mates! :bawl:

As to the "Redneck" comment regarding trucks :lmao::lmao: It's only a very few here that are Rednecks. That segment of the population is always good for a laugh. The folks that I know that own trucks are Engineers, Architects, Tradesmen. The vehicles have a very specific purpose and are not used as part of daily transportation. I don't know any Rednecks, but have run into a few. It's always a good laugh.

Cheers,
Steve

Dacious
08-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Half the enthusiasts like the idea of a US Truck because it's a US Truck. Hiluxes sell well because they have become synomymous with TinBoxTray with wheels, like HiAce means WhiteVan or Corolla means 'CheapSmallFour'. When you say laptop, people think Toshiba, when you say Cola, people think Coke.

Guys who are image conscious (or just plain compensating for something) will go for the name brand. I buy Levis. I drink Jack Daniels. But for my breakfast oats I eat Coles brand.

Businesses are run by hardnosed types. They look at cost, benefits and bottom line. A Silverado or F-series will cost more than a Hilux at the low end. And at the high-end won't meet the cost-capability of a Iveco, Fuso, Hino etc. because the US trucks are half about lifestyle.

Business who aren't sole-proprietor playthings won't spend even $1000 on more than they need, and not for a piece of shiny chrome or an enormous plastic-chrome grille for bragging rights down the pub. Car race teans? Yeah, well that would amount to a dozen sales every three years.

Businesses who are businesses and not hobbyists don't screw with manufacturer's settings in their bread'n'butter transport. They buy them, run them until the costs outweigh replacement and then move them on. They don't care about the badge. If something gives bad service or doesn't meet their needs they buy something else.

If Ford Oz could make F-series pay - after all, it's been here before, why didn't it stay - they'd find a way to have them. I'm sure Australia's annual allocation would be covered by one weekend overtime shift so they haven't bothered. When I said 'decent diesel' I meant one that met emissions and gave decent eonomy and performance. Currently today, now, you can get that from Europe and Asia. Not much from the US, because they still sell shit diesel fuel and there it's viewed as very Euro and therefore suspect.

I agree, Holden needs more models of better trucks, But Silverado sales are also dying in the arse in America. So maybe they aren't it. And Tundra sales are in the toilet, have been since release so I don't think Toycar Oz will get them anytime soon.

You just have to face it though - the world's changed, Holden is never likely to beat Toyota here again unless there's a war or Toyota has a scandal like Mitsu (you never know). And one thing the Americans have shown us is you can't beat the Japanese at their own game even on your home ground and it is foolish to try.

What you have to do is what BMW and Mercedes have done, and make people willing to pay more for less cars so you make money on every one. And before you laugh, remember it isn't all that long ago that Mercedes were viewed as old hat, outdated and a bit of a joke at home and away. I'm sure that is what Holden is thinking as well. Whether Holden can surmount those difficulties and rise above them? Who knows.

HOWQUICK
08-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Businesses are run by hardnosed types. They look at cost, benefits and bottom line. A Silverado or F-series will cost more than a Hilux at the low end. And at the high-end won't meet the cost-capability of a Iveco, Fuso, Hino etc. because the US trucks are half about lifestyle.

Business who aren't sole-proprietor playthings won't spend even $1000 on more than they need, and not for a piece of shiny chrome or an enormous plastic-chrome grille for bragging rights down the pub. Car race teans? Yeah, well that would amount to a dozen sales every three years.

Businesses who are businesses and not hobbyists don't screw with manufacturer's settings in their bread'n'butter transport. They buy them, run them until the costs outweigh replacement and then move them on. They don't care about the badge. If something gives bad service or doesn't meet their needs they buy something else.

If Ford Oz could make F-series pay - after all, it's been here before, why didn't it stay - they'd find a way to have them. I'm sure Australia's annual allocation would be covered by one weekend overtime shift so they haven't bothered. When I said 'decent diesel' I meant one that met emissions and gave decent eonomy and performance. Currently today, now, you can get that from Europe and Asia. Not much from the US, because they still sell shit diesel fuel and there it's viewed as very Euro and therefore suspect.

I agree, Holden needs more models of better trucks, But Silverado sales are also dying in the arse in America. So maybe they aren't it. And Tundra sales are in the toilet, have been since release so I don't think Toycar Oz will get them anytime soon.

You just have to face it though - the world's changed, Holden is never likely to beat Toyota here again unless there's a war or Toyota has a scandal like Mitsu (you never know). And one thing the Americans have shown us is you can't beat the Japanese at their own game even on your home ground and it is foolish to try.

isn't that what I posted?

My comments are to the large Fords/Chev pickups.

Add up all the race teams, horse people, boaties, blah blah and you find your market for the "red neck mobiles". Do you self a favour and go look in the parks at these events and you will be surprised at how many high end tow vehicles are around.....Hiluxs and Landcruisers don't cut it.

Dozen sales every three years? That's a joke. They don't get bought to run kids to school.............why do you think people are willing to pay significantly MORE than the new price for used vehicles?

Never seen that with the Jap alternatives.....

Ford dropping the Big diesels is well documented.....

Dacious
08-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Add up all the race teams, horse people, boaties, blah blah and you find your market for the "red neck mobiles". Do you self a favour and go look in the parks at these events and you will be surprised at how many high end tow vehicles are around.....Hiluxs and Landcruisers don't cut it.

Dozen sales every three years? That's a joke. They don't get bought to run kids to school.............

Funny, I used to go to lots of racemeetings and lots of Supercar races where bikes were on the program. I can't recall seeing reams of brand new F-series or Chev trucks. Old ones, up to twenty years, sure. Old ones with Luton Peaks. And usually towing some low dollar cluibcar-class vehicle or a Formula Vee or similar. Certainly no dollar-teams, they're all using semis or 8-tonners.

And horsie events? F-series? Really? I can't see the stirrup set buying F150s just to tow Trigger. Might be a few farmers, but he horse thing is incidental. The poorer pony club set can't afford them (wagon with trailer), and the richlist wouldn't be seen dead in one.

Even towtruck drivers aren't using new ones at least around Melbourne AFAIK, because they are moving to lift-flatbed units. And the St Johns Volunteers don't want LPG F-series anymore - won't even take 'em as donations.

Don't know about boaties, but I haven't seen any using F-series and I live near the beach. Lots of Rangie's, 'Cruisers and Patrols towing trailer-sailers and cabin cruisers. The only people I see using F-series are plumbers and building contractors and they're mostly older models - the individuals and the vehicles!

Anyhow, Silverados? IMO no more than a hundred a month, maybe a few thousand a year at the outside. A pinprick in Toyota dominance.

And anyhow, it's a completely moot point as GM US won't build a RHD version - just too much expense for too little return.

HOWQUICK
08-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Funny, I used to go to lots of racemeetings and lots of Supercar races where bikes were on the program. I can't recall seeing reams of brand new F-series or Chev trucks. Old ones, up to twenty years, sure. Old ones with Luton Peaks. And usually towing some low dollar cluibcar-class vehicle or a Formula Vee or similar. Certainly no dollar-teams, they're all using semis or 8-tonners.

And horsie events? F-series? Really? I can't see the stirrup set buying F150s just to tow Trigger. Might be a few farmers, but he horse thing is incidental. The poorer pony club set can't afford them (wagon with trailer), and the richlist wouldn't be seen dead in one.

Even towtruck drivers aren't using new ones at least around Melbourne AFAIK, because they are moving to lift-flatbed units. And the St Johns Volunteers don't want LPG F-series anymore - won't even take 'em as donations.

Don't know about boaties, but I haven't seen any using F-series and I live near the beach. Lots of Rangie's, 'Cruisers and Patrols towing trailer-sailers and cabin cruisers. The only people I see using F-series are plumbers and building contractors and they're mostly older models - the individuals and the vehicles!

Anyhow, Silverados? IMO no more than a hundred a month, maybe a few thousand a year at the outside. A pinprick in Toyota dominance.

And anyhow, it's a completely moot point as GM US won't build a RHD version - just too much expense for too little return.

Well I must just be imagining the numbers that I see come in here, owners I know who use them to tow horses and the ones I see with boats behind them......must be all the same dozen utes?:rofl:

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't real. Things are very different in other parts of the country......

sszute
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM

around where i am there is quite a few and there at the pony club,builders and farmers and out west alot of pro shooters use them aswell cause they can carry so much put like i said the importes already catter to them so i cant see holden or ford bringing them back.Ive herd that dodge is looking at bringing out the ram which woud prob be the pick out of all 3 and there is alot of older people buying them for there 5th wheel caravans aswell

planetdavo
08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
around where i am there is quite a few and there at the pony club,builders and farmers and out west alot of pro shooters use them aswell cause they can carry so much put like i said the importes already catter to them so i cant see holden or ford bringing them back.Ive herd that dodge is looking at bringing out the ram which woud prob be the pick out of all 3 and there is alot of older people buying them for there 5th wheel caravans aswell
What people need to realise is that we are talking about a "factory" importation programme, which includes a comprehensive (and expensive) certification programme, durability testing for OUR conditions, dealership education programmes, advertising, full parts backup, and more!
All of this is not cheap, and goes way beyond what importers doing left to right conversions will ever do with the models they currently sell.
It's all these costs that blow out the plans of what models should and shouldn't be sold, and lets all be honest, the market for this type of vee-hicle is pretty small in the context of a one million sale market.
If the business case wont allow them to make money, it would be one stupid company to ever bring them in to begin with!

Swordie
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
I would of thought it is not commercially viable to import it especially if Holden had to do the RHD conversion itself. It is a tuff market here.

I would of thought importing the Caddy is quite questionable as well.

sszute
08-05-2008, 06:52 PM
What people need to realise is that we are talking about a "factory" importation programme, which includes a comprehensive (and expensive) certification programme, durability testing for OUR conditions, dealership education programmes, advertising, full parts backup, and more!
All of this is not cheap, and goes way beyond what importers doing left to right conversions will ever do with the models they currently sell.
It's all these costs that blow out the plans of what models should and shouldn't be sold, and lets all be honest, the market for this type of vee-hicle is pretty small in the context of a one million sale market.
If the business case wont allow them to make money, it would be one stupid company to ever bring them in to begin with!

Cause we have tatts and roo blood on the tray does that scare you or something nothing like seeing a pig hanging of a tray
mate you gotta remember that you live in the city and i agree there not for city driven but in the country there awesome there tough and carry a good load wat more could you want

planetdavo
08-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Nothing personal mate.
Just responding to HQ's claims about how many of the owners actually use them for a useful purpose.

Ghia351
08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
If Ford Oz could make F-series pay - after all, it's been here before, why didn't it stay - they'd find a way to have them. I'm sure Australia's annual allocation would be covered by one weekend overtime shift so they haven't bothered.
You're a little off base here re the F250, simply put rhd factory production stopped and emmisions for Australia can't be met until new engines are available. Ford OZ would have to find a emissions compliant engine, have it installed and then do the RHD conversion... would be impossble at the last F250 prices let alone under $100,000...once it can be built it will return.

Space Pope
09-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Actually a lot of folks buy a 4x4 truck or SUV because it has some added utility in winter there. Gets hairy driving a sedan through inches of fresh snow on unplowed, unsalted roads. Now if they wanna lug freshly shot and dressed bucks , some hay or haul prize ''hawgs" to the county fair ...good luck to 'em . That's a good use for 'em as well. :)

As for fuel , I'll stand by my original thoughts on that one. I can see V8 sales going down even with DoD optioned if they're talking $200 a barrel for oil in the next 12 months. A limited market for this kind of vehcle will start getting even more limited with time. 4x4 sales in general will start falling off pretty sharply if they haven't already. Only people with a genuine need for a big 4x4 will be buying them. More and more people will be looking for economical options.

Tooling...does the big 3 have any 'right-hooker' production lines at the moment. Maybe Dodge does for the Ram. (I see a few of those about). Might get expensive to retool for a relatively limited market.

Any existing demand will most continue to be met via the specialty importers.

I'd like to see a few more of the US trucks wind up here - And I kinda in the back of my mind hope they one day do ...at a reasonable cots like in the US. I just can't see it happening though.

Yeah and as far as the mining industry goes I'd have to agree with HQ. For that kinda work , you're gunna want poverty pack throw-away utes and trucks. Unless the Chev Ford and Dodge were going to come to the party on specs and price , mining companies are gunna stick to low spec lower power options.

Dacious
09-05-2008, 10:03 AM
You're a little off base here re the F250, simply put rhd factory production stopped and emmisions for Australia can't be met until new engines are available. Ford OZ would have to find a emissions compliant engine, have it installed and then do the RHD conversion... would be impossble at the last F250 prices let alone under $100,000...once it can be built it will return.

But that's my point. Today, now, they have nothing. Ford've got a RHD plant but nothing viable comes out of it. Chev has nothing - even presuming the Silverado met emissions and ADRs in other ways, they build them LHD only. Dodge might well want to sell Rams here - we're about the only market on earth where they've got growth in any of their lines. And that's only novelty value, and because they're comparatively cheap in every sense of the word. When the US-ophiles have bought their garage queen, the rest of the country will happily continue to ignore them.

They spent $millions upgrading the GMT900 Silv platform 18-24 months back - remember it's why they put zeta and Camaro on hold - so they aren't going to re-engineer it for us downunder asswipes, especially when if they wanted to sell in Europe or England or even Japan LHD vehicles can be registered.

Wanting and wishing won't make it so.

Maybe when Holden and Ford, Toyo are all importers they might allow new LHD vehicles here, ADRs will disappear and it'll become more viable. But today you're probably tens of $mill away from a RHD GM US truck. And I hope no-one believes they'd honestly sell more than a few thou a year, at which rate it would take decades to pay it off. By then CAFE will have killed big BOF trucks in the US and they'll have unitary construction vehicles like the Denali XT concept - which is a Holden Ute underneath.

The HiLux sells because about the most you can spend on the most expensive variant is - what, about $60K for a TuRD? You won't even get the poverty pack Silverado here for that, not at fleet discount.

VESSWA
09-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Try throwing 800 litres of fuel, oils, tools and a solid tray on the back of a hilux and then drive it through building/road works sites.
In this application there's few other options. Price of fuel is irrelevant for running/servicing machinery for plant operators. The litres per 1 hundred kilometre economy in a komatsu is frightening :eek:
What's a few more litres out of the bowser on the back anyway....

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii172/dvh1966282/P1000386.jpg

Dacious
09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
After dominating the Australian ute market for some years, the home-grown, car-based utes have suffered a big slide in popularity.

One catalyst for that slide has been Australia’s free trade agreement with Thailand, which began in January 2005.

Between them, the Falcon and Holden Commodore utes made up more than half of the two-wheel-drive ute market in 2004. Last year, that figure had slipped to just 35 per cent and both utes had been overtaken by the Toyota HiLux. Every imported one-tonne ute sold in Australia (except the Nissan Navara) is built in Thailand and therefore attracts no tariff.

The new Falcon ute will go on sale in June, priced from $27,795 for the cab chassis version. That price is just $300 more than the outgoing model, but still significantly more than imported pick-ups.

That and the strong $Oz is the reason Toyo and others (including Holden) now sell more imported pickups.

Used F250s are listing for $80K @ 100,000km. New vehicles in that class must cost more, landed in Oz. Even with NAFTA. I can't see how that would eke out more than a few thou sales per year for the category.

I can't find any data on how things like the F250 sold new, when they were readily available. But it is possible to extrapolate that 90-95% of the 120-140K light truck market this year will be filled by one-tonne commercials, based on sales to date, with the remaining segment to be fought out by everyone else in the up to 3-tonne bracket. That doesn't leave a lot of room, considering there are players in that space now.

The case that's being made is that because Toyota is selling 40K per annum $30K Hiluxes ATM, it will somehow translate to viable sales of $100K Silverados. That would seem extremely unlikely. If Ford restarts imports of F-series, and Dodge brings Rams here, that might soak up that niche.

I don't think the two are even on the same page.

HOWQUICK
09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
The case that's being made is that because Toyota is selling 40K per annum $30K Hiluxes ATM, it will somehow translate to viable sales of $100K Silverados. That would seem extremely unlikely. If Ford restarts imports of F-series, and Dodge brings Rams here, that might soak up that niche.

I don't think the two are even on the same page.

EXACTLY. To try and draw a line from the F trucks and a Toyota Workmate is just rediculous and without argument.

mac06
09-05-2008, 07:49 PM
The long and the short of it is this-

If Holden stopped producing VZ One Tonners at around 3,000 per anum, and Crewman at around similar numbers, then the likelihood of them bringing in Silverado is about zero. Regardless of whether some people would give their left nut for one or not, it has to be about viable numbers. Even the Monaro, a cult car, was/is not viable in Australia alone. To bring in a Silverado would mean Holden would have to sell huge numbers to even consider it. Personally I can't see it happening.

Suburban has been mentioned before. That was when Holden was making good profit in Oz and had the dollars to try different things. That's no longer the case, so the business case has to be strong to make a go of it. The Suburban failed and Holden can't afford to do it again with another import.

HOWQUICK
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Back to the thread topic. Do I think Holden with bring in the Silverado? Nope. But if they did and you had a use for it and purchased one....I wouldn't consider you a banjo picker or in need of finding a coal mine (interesting stuff on red necks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck_%28stereotype%29)..... Nor do I think you are a feral tailgater because you have ink.

Actually the rednecks gave us NASCAR....via the bootlegging out of the Appalachians. Yeah haaah! Read up on it. It is a great story.

foylema
10-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Thats a nice truck

chevypower
10-05-2008, 12:51 AM
When the GMT400 Suburban was finished, Holden actually wanted to bring in the GMT800 (2000 model) Suburban to replace it, and also looked at the Tahoe. What killed it, was 1. It wasn't a priority for GM (they sold more Suburbans to the Texas police, than they did to all of Australia) 2. The US-Aus dollar didn't make it viable, those were the times AUD$1 = USD$0.48 They wouln't have made it profitable under AUD$100,000. The RHD development will always be an issue until the day all cars are produced with drive-by-wire. Then they could just switch the dash around, with no mechanical changes. Or Australia could just switch to driving on the right. Ireland are looking at doing it. Now there is the issue of oil being $123 per barrel and climbing. Hopefully either CNG, GTL diesel, Hydrogen, Cellulosic Ethanol and electrification (or combination of all those) will allow larger vehicles to continue to live

Hamico
12-05-2008, 11:56 PM

Dozen sales every three years? That's a joke. They don't get bought to run kids to school.............why do you think people are willing to pay significantly MORE than the new price for used vehicles?

Never seen that with the Jap alternatives.....

Ford dropping the Big diesels is well documented.....

Well said mate.

I drove to the Hunter Valley on the weekend and I must of seen at least 20
F-series/Silverado's and a couple of Dodge's, one new Dodge Ram was towing a large horse float.

There is definitely a market for larger trucks in Australia, those that think otherwise need to get out a bit more.

Desertws6
13-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Interesting weight comparison regarding trucks:

78 Chevy C10 / 1/2 ton 2wd ( post #12 ) With the Construction box full of tools, I had the truck weighed @ 4680lbs. (local gravel pit)

New Pontiac G8 GT 3,995lbs

685lbs difference, and the estimated weight of the box and tools was 250lbs, this leaves 435lbs weight difference.

I also looked up the towing capacity of the truck, the rear step bumper(bar) will handle 7,000lbs. Class 4 Frame mounted hitch is up to 10,000. Would not try this without a proper tranny cooler.

Toyota is advertising their Tundra truck in the US as 10,000lbs towing capacity. :rofl: My old truck has been able to do this for 30 years. :rofl:

A little off the topic, but food for thought.

Cheers,
Steve

V-Car
13-05-2008, 08:26 AM
These pages from Performax show some of the vehicles they have recently delivered.
Definately a market here for these vehicles, and i dont think too many of those buyers look like they would be happy being called rednecks.

http://www.corvette.com.au/Available%20Vehicles/Recently%20Delivered-254.aspx?

Hamico
13-05-2008, 09:22 PM
There's importers like this in every state of Australia, definitely a market for them here

Sydney - http://www.suv.net.au/

Newcastle - http://www.allamericanrv.com.au/

patto
30-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I'd buy one

MC LS1
01-06-2009, 12:57 AM
I would like to think that they will

im pretty certain that about 3 years ago, ford has stopped importing the F trucks now as well

ti0350
01-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Holy crap the missus would sell her arm to get hold of a newer chevy pick up but her arms not worth over 100K

theVman
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
A lot has changed in the last 12 months from when this thread was last active.

Swordie
01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
It's a shame all countries don't drive on the same side of the road. If we did there could be allot more variety.

chevypower
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
The 2009 Ford F150 has gotta be the best half-ton pickup truck now. It's the only half ton that has a long bed available on a crew cab, I like how the rear shocks are mounted on the outside of the frame for stability (unlike the Silverado), and it out-tows the others. Next year, there will be three new engines. 6.2L OHC V8, 5.0L DOHC V8, and EcoBoost 3.5L V6 (twin-turbo). The interior on both Ford and Dodge is nicer than the Silverado. The new Ram 1500 uses rear coils, good for smooth ride when empty, but a compromise on payload, and shock absorption when carrying a load.
And for a serious beast, it's hard not to notice the 2010 Ford F150 SVT Raptor.

For the big heavy duty models Ram 2500,3500, Silverado 2500,3500, F250 and F350, I would put the 2010 Dodge Ram with the 6.7 Cummins diesel up there and betting on the 2010 F250/350 with its new 6.7L V8 diesel coming out.
The Chevy still has a nice, proven, powerful, reliable Duramax diesel and Aillison transmission, but the body doesn't stack up against the other two.

The current Silverados are nice, but they are outdone by Ford and Dodge.

I would put the Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra last. The Titan hasn't had an update in a long, long, long time. The Tundra has too much chassis flex (on rough roads, you would think the cab and the bed are not connected) and it has a horrible interior.

Australia should have access to these trucks. The Toyota 70 series isn't much to drive, tow with, ride in, look at etc etc....

My father in Melbourne wants to replace his WK Caprice V8 with a real towing vehicle... when it comes to the time, I will try convince him to get the 2010 Ram 2500 crew cab or MegaCab Laramie with the Cummins.

Hamico
01-06-2009, 08:03 PM
For me the latest Ford F150's look...:spew:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/

Now this looks better...:goodjob:

http://www.chevrolet.com/vehicles/2009/silverado1500/overview.do