Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Thread: Blackve

BLACKVE is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-03-2023 @ 08:02 PM

Re: Blackve

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Reckon if you had that cam & springs using original lifters on an L98 you done exceptionally well & lucky to find that when you did!
    this build was done 4yrs ago and didn't realise there were lifter concerns(didn't even know what a tie bar lifter was), well they made 36000kms on 2 cam combos so a good run.

Now I wish the Aussie US dollar would go back to 2010.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Yep some cams/lifters fukked out in L98's in motors that done a mere 40K!

BLACKVE is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-03-2023 @ 08:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKVE View Post
    Drove ute to work weds and when I backed in to garage noticed a ticking sound, popped bonnet and sound coming from right bank front cylinders.

Being a l98 with big lsr cam and double springs always knew the lifters were the weakest link, well i'm lucky pulled the right valve cover and found on the front exhaust valve rocker had a little more play than rest, pulled the head off and found lifter was just about to hand grenade a little tap once out and needle bearings everwhere. Cam lobe is fine and lifter bore fine. Found another lifter with a mark on roller aswell. Shopping for morel tiebar lifters and some new gaskets. Going to pull cam just to ensure no marks and springs have 30000kms on them so think i'll replace them.

Been together for almost 5 yrs now as this combo but remembered how to pull her apart, otherwise all looks good pistons(flycuts all good)/ valves clean etc.

Bloody US was around 95centswhen I bought parts last time from Speed inc now 82 cents

Think will have to change pushrods and the morels are higher but will work out as I build her back up.

scary how time goes by, been 7 months. EEEKKK

Bought all my parts slowly look for good delas etc finally got everything together about 3 months ago but been working long hr and building retaining walls at home.

pulled her apart in Jan and on inspection I found 1 lobe on cam had a mark on it so I've bought a new cam(same 239/247) thought about a different grind but save $$$ and keep tune as is.

new specs are morel 5206 tie bar lifters and felpro .41 gaskets to bump the compression a bit and had to go to 7.3" pushrods now. Also got a new melling oil pump

Spent this weekend cleaning parts up and dialled cam in and installed lifters and bolted heads on. double check pushrod length and manifold etc back on.

Probally be another 3 months at this rate before back on the road lol.......
    239/247 goodness............

Shes alive, bolted headers and valve covers etc, fresh E85

With a new mellings high volume pump spun her over on the starter with out plugs all good. Morel tie bars don't seem that noisey either. Only a small drive an no rego atm.

Might get the tune checked, dyno run as I've gone .41 felpro head gaskets from stock(just fitted with piston the valve clearance)

Vid of her lumping over, can here fans running when I walk around the front, just taken with phone.
    Last edited by BLACKVE; 06-09-2015 at 08:37 AM.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 05:50 AM

Sounds killer mate

ute.jpg

Washed and polished hardly driven for 2 years so busy at work doing renos etc

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 12:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKVE View Post
    ute.jpg

Washed and polished hardly driven for 2 years so busy at work doing renos etc
    Looks fantastic mate.

Thread Information