Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: HSV Avalanche mini build only

HSV Listy is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 19-02-2019 @ 07:44 AM

HSV Avalanche mini build only

I thought I might start a mini build thread on the Avalanche. Having a small break from the circuit racing GTS for a month or so over the wet season.

Basic specifications stock atm.
    2005 VZ HSV Avalanche station wagon. silver, 270kw ls1 V8, 4sp auto, full electrics like all avalanches, AWD, full leather, roof mount DVD player, sunroof, 6 stacker in dash CD player, stock amp and rear mount sub woofer, 2100kg toe bar kit, tinted windows and nudge bar. Only mod is the monaro 2 hole air box modification.
    Couple of photos

Reason for modifications is that people keep running into my car from not seeing the car. I drive with the headlights on all the time. 20 plus years of driving accident free and in the last 2 years two accidents in the same car. Time for some changes.

Small story
    First crash was with a person from the law who did not give way and did a U turn right in front of me. I did not have a chance to react. No indicators etc. He took the blame straight up.
    The result is the photo below and about 15k damage to my car and his commodore was in a bad bad way. Pretty tough these beasts. No airbags went off

Second was a semi moved into my lane without notice and I had to mount a 30cm high medium strip to avoid going under a road train. Doing about 80 or so when it happened. I hit the curb at some stage underneath the car and it set the airbags off. Again no bloody indicators by the truck, no warning and he moved across fast. Also he did not stop after it happens so I presume he did not seem me or just did the runner. I beeped my horn but as if he would hear with that. Airbags went off even though they were not required (this time) and nearly caused me to hit a tree but lucky I missed. As the air bags went off I could not give chase as the whole car was full of white stuff. The air bags caused a very nasty burn on my wrist and leg. If there was any witnesses none pulled over or reported anything.
    Result was about 9k damage and on my bloody insurance. Airbags gone, pretensioners on the seatbelts went off, spoiler crack and some minor work underneath the front. Pretty expensive to repair. The spoilers retail for nearly 2k alone.

No obvious damage underneath to cause the bags to go bang. The shunt must of set off one of the sensors

The car is all back together and all good. Only minor panel damage really so no big deal

Now to fix the issue of people not seeing me. Plans are
    Installing HID Hi and Low beam lights, a set of HID spotlights, LED parkers and number plate light. I am getting the Kaixen kits http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...ght=HID+lights

This is the spotties I brought. I am installing the HID kit into them.

Next was the visual breakup of the car. I am getting some big decals down the side saying AVALANCHE and either a big decal on the bonnet with the HRT logo or a monaro bonnet fibro insert. Not sure as yet but just going to see what the decal looks like. If it looks rubbish then the monaro bonnet insert will be stuck on and painted. No hole, no drilling just glued on and fibro sheet smoothed out. Saves the legal stuff of firbo ones and the monaro steel bonnets are a tad too expensive and hard to find let along try and feight them up here. If a cheepie comes up I might get it but no rush.

Also I am getting a new set of 18x8 wheels Gun metal gray as I always wanted. They should look ok.

Back part other than the led lights is the 4 tip exhaust with 2 on each side. Tried 4 places but all said no so I might have to do this one myself and give the exhaust shops the measurements to make the tube too. Cant give people work these days. Too scared to take on a job outside the square.

I went to a 4x4 shop and while I was there i had a look at these but I think that is taking the standing out thing just too far. No I am not getting them. As another bloke said the rally car look. Option of 4 HIDs or stock H1 4x100 watt globes. They would make some light that is for sure.

Next was the noise issue so people hear me. I will be doing a maffles tune with an fibro ORI to make room for the airhorns. Not small air horns but I saw the the logo and it says TOO LOUD TOO BAD and I was sold. Expensive but this time I don’t care.
    Picture of the kit. It is from http://www.airide.com.au/product_inf...a67ffaddaef1c1

Everything is on order already and the Mafless tune and ORI install will be done the next Chipmaster visit. Thought I might give Dan a go and hopefully it works out.
    Once things get here I will get some photos going

Cheers

LS1_Wagn is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 07-12-2016 @ 02:30 PM

Re: HSV Avalanche mini build only

hey mate, nice avalanche. seems you've had some bad luck with it! pretty sure people will hear you with those air horns. i dont know about the wheels you're thinking of putting on. i dont think they'll suit it that well really. best of luck with it anyway
    [LS1 WGN]

HSV Listy is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 19-02-2019 @ 07:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_Wagn View Post
    hey mate, nice avalanche. seems you've had some bad luck with it! pretty sure people will hear you with those air horns. i dont know about the wheels you're thinking of putting on. i dont think they'll suit it that well really. best of luck with it anyway
    The wheels are a bit of a gamble. I need to be different and everything matching may not be the way I want to head. Hard to find 18s that fit these brakes that are aftermarket and look ok but the bloke at the shop said these will fit and if not he will take them back. Cant argue there.

The airhorns should do their job to stop trucks trying to run me over I hope anyway. Also if someone set off the car alarm they will know about it and so will people for miles. They will be wired in series so if the air runs out the other horn will still work. I will have a switch to turn off the air horn too.
    Hopefully parts will be arriving over the next few days

Bit of luck with the wheels fitting over the brakes. About 8 to 10mm clearance too. These brakes take up alot of room. I think looking at the room they should fit the 363mm APs on the GTS. Might chuck them on just for a look tomorrow.

I am going to wait until the decals are here before getting them changed over.
    Tuner visit might be March/April now so I might look at other options or just get a over internet tune.

Alex81 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 01-08-2017 @ 08:29 PM

Nah the Ap's are way too big, as it has 362mm rotor and 6 piston calipers compared to 330mm and 2 piston. there is 32mm in rotor difference without the calipers.

But you never no

Quote Originally Posted by Alex81 View Post
    Nah the Ap's are way too big, as it has 362mm rotor and 6 piston calipers compared to 330mm and 2 piston. there is 32mm in rotor difference without the calipers.

But you never no
    That is it. You never know. Here they are. Fit like a glove and fill the wheel near perfectly. Still about 3-4mm room. +40 offset was the difference fitting and not.
    Woohoo spare track days wheels (not really but good to have anyway for a rainy day (I mean literly rainy)
    The avalanche calipers just sit out so much that there is only a few mm differnce in caliper room compared to the APs.

Last edited by HSV Listy; 17-01-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Alex81 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 01-08-2017 @ 08:29 PM

well fcuk me, there you go i will shut up now

Quote Originally Posted by Alex81 View Post
    well fcuk me, there you go i will shut up now
    No need. I had a sneaking suspection they may fit based on the M5 copies I use for racing days on the GTS. BMW alloys allow a hell of allot of caliper room and the lower offset gives those extra few mm pushed futher out that other aftermarket wheels. Hence the reason I picked them for the ave wheels.

chevy1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 14-11-2012 @ 01:18 AM

Chucked a mafless mail order in mine and made a huge difference.Still have to get rid of the maf and still deciding whether to go otr or just throw a K&N into the airbox.Small cam might be on the cards too once the ute is finished.
    By the way I reckon your choice of rims will suit it spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by chevy1 View Post
    Chucked a mafless mail order in mine and made a huge difference.Still have to get rid of the maf and still deciding whether to go otr or just throw a K&N into the airbox.Small cam might be on the cards too once the ute is finished.
    By the way I reckon your choice of rims will suit it spot on.
    Cheers mate. I got a cheap ORI for $150 so a bit of luck was on my side. Glad the mail order worked out as that is proberbly what I will go with. Just waiting on some info and dates of the tuner visit up here. Might be just too far away for me to wait.
    Should have the wheels on by the end of the week providing the decals get here.

Mines is the older throttle body link(2004), is yours fly by wire or the same. If so you can have a tune sent to you. I think there is a throttle position sensor to adjust or something like that if it's fly by wire.

Mines is the older throttle body link(2004), is yours fly by wire or the same. If so you can have a tune sent to you. I think there is a throttle position sensor to adjust or something like that if it's fly by wire.
    It is the electronic fly by wire TB. I way prefer the cable on the GTS as all the electronic TB I have driven has more movement to get things moving.

Thanks for the info too. I would not have thought to mention that if I did a mail order.

Looks like ya might have to wait for that tuner or head south. What no tuners in town ? Some big players in town, Rattler etc.

Looks like ya might have to wait for that tuner or head south. What no tuners in town ? Some big players in town, Rattler etc.
    They have visting tuners I would trust like Tim from electronic automotice and chipmaster. Tim did the tune on the GTS and it is set very safe exactly what I wanted. There are others in town like D and T and a couple of other shops but I dont have trust in them. No doubt they maybe fine but that is me and my choice.
    Most cars in the circles up here on the local HSV/Holden forum majority of the well known cars are from Chipmaster or tim. Scotties was different but APS did his while it was down south. You would want to know your stuff to have the guts to tune that.

I might see if I can get a mailorder from chipmaster and get the fine tuning done on his visit Mar/Apr. Might give him a yell.

Test fitted the airhorns in the GTS engine bay for room and no problems. Will be more room again in the Avalanche. So much bling that the camera flash went to poo. I recon they will look ok but really it is the sound the counts on this one.

Thread Information