Thread: Centre console removal

TerenceR8 is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 15-01-2011 @ 05:41 PM

Question Centre console removal

I need to remove the centre console in my manual VZ R8. I welcome any advice, particularly releasing the leather gearstick cover. Thanks in advance for any help.

VZMY06SS is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 17-09-2018 @ 08:59 PM

Re: Centre console removal

From memory: There is a screw in the storage compartment in front of the gearstick. Take this out and you can lift up the whole plastic fascia by lifting it from within the center console. This will allow you to remove the gearshift boot. I think that you have to push the boot towards the center of the stick to get past the clips.
    If you have a gauge pod, it should be removable simply by lifting it up. Might take a bit of effort with the clips. There are a few screws there, and a 2 just below the radio which can be seen after removing the gearstick surround etc.
    Best to remove the radio, then the whole dash will be able to be removed by pulling it towards you from the top.
    The electric window and traction controls will have to have the plugs pulled out to allow you to fully remove the gearstick surround, and there are three plugs behind the climate too

The hardest bit is gritting your teeth while you lift up the end of the gear stick surround from in the center compartment. Aside from this and the pods, just be gentle and take your time.

Hope that is clear enough

Steve

350VZ is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 16-06-2022 @ 07:43 PM

Search for VZ console removal. Should find all the info you need there.

TerenceR8 is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 15-01-2011 @ 05:41 PM

Thanks for the response. I have removed the screw in the storage compartment in front of the gearstick with no sign of the console moving. I am wondering if their is another screw(s) underneath the rubber mat beneath this screw? This rubber mat appears to be glued in? Part of the challenge is trying to descibe what I am experiencing accurately. I am very anxious about doing this as with all interiors it is very easy to damage and not easy to replace. Is the centre consol in my manual VZ R8 the same as in a VZ SS or VZ SV6? I have bought a copy of the Haynes Repair Manual which is some help, are there any other books around more helpful? Once again thanks for any help with this.

DaveHAT is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 10-08-2015 @ 08:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by TerenceR8 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I have removed the screw in the storage compartment in front of the gearstick with no sign of the console moving. I am wondering if their is another screw(s) underneath the rubber mat beneath this screw? This rubber mat appears to be glued in? Part of the challenge is trying to descibe what I am experiencing accurately. I am very anxious about doing this as with all interiors it is very easy to damage and not easy to replace. Is the centre consol in my manual VZ R8 the same as in a VZ SS or VZ SV6? I have bought a copy of the Haynes Repair Manual which is some help, are there any other books around more helpful? Once again thanks for any help with this.
    Nope, 1 screw only.

You just need some brave pills and exercise a bit of caution. The lower console is retained by the one screw you've found and a series of spring clips that will release as you lift the lower console from the rear.

You can lever the lower section up GENTLY from the rear, using a flat blade which might help get it started.

Thanks I will give it a try this weekend.

FPVEATA is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 16-01-2013 @ 03:45 PM

i was looking for the exact same thing the other day.

found this. they say in the thread it aint for the vz but it looks the same. ill find out once i start puling it apart.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...ole-vy-vz.html

Thread Information