Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: WA DPI = Anti-Performance Cars

monaro_mad is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-02-2019 @ 02:37 PM

Re: WA DPI = Anti-Performance Cars

There is some confusion over how these emmisions tests can be requested, we need ony look at the Hoon laws for some clarification. The open to interpretation approach of Hoon laws means a cop can impound your car for a engine rev!! Similar to multinovas the testing equipment will be verified for accuracy but like multinovas the needle will swing in their favour so you could end up paying to take it over the pits.

For all those with an existing DPI approval that you waive infront of a cop when he requests this test be done, means fuk all you need to pass emmisions now. IIRC, SA is using a roadside emmissions test which i said here that WA will adopt soon, with a huge cash injection for the new Traffic Branch we'll see...

EXCESSV is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 07-08-2013 @ 02:30 PM

looks like there is gonna be a market for some "custom cats" or the DPI will have testing centers paid out like there own were at the pits
    Seeing through the bullshit that you spin...

HSV Manta is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-02-2020 @ 07:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by monaro_mad View Post
    There is some confusion over how these emmisions tests can be requested, we need ony look at the Hoon laws for some clarification. The open to interpretation approach of Hoon laws means a cop can impound your car for a engine rev!! Similar to multinovas the testing equipment will be verified for accuracy but like multinovas the needle will swing in their favour so you could end up paying to take it over the pits.
    INCORRECT

Extract from the Road Traffic Act.

62A. Causing excessive noise, smoke

A person who wilfully drives a motor vehicle on a road or in a
    carpark so as to cause —
    (a) excessive noise to be made with one or more of the
    vehicle’s tyres; or
    (b) smoke to come from one or more of the vehicle’s tyres
    or a substance on the driving surface,
    commits an offence.
    Penalty: 12 PU.

[Section 62A inserted by No. 10 of 2004 s. 9.]

A bit more than just an engine rev...agreed??

You would have to completely lose the plot on the side of the road or fail the "attitude test" OR be driving a fuel spitting pig to be required to undergo an emissions test.

I don't see KEC doing alot of these..

WA VTGEN111 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-09-2014 @ 09:39 PM

"The piece of paper being in the car means nothing"

For those that have been thru the process of licensing their vehicles they already know like it or not that is a requirement from DPI that the paperwork is carried in their vehicles, I dont think you are going to find too many ppl who will pay for ADR emissions testing or IM240 testing who are going to be willing to throw away the coin or the time invested to see these vehicles put at risk by failing a later test or having their permits revoked after they have done the hard yards.

Cheers
    Deb

WH Captain is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 06-03-2015 @ 06:06 PM

Manta.. Are u working for the DPI? Are u a cop?

Mate theres nothing wrong with a fuel spitting cammed up LS motor! Attitude has alot to do with it but ive been pulled b4 and some of there attitudes are bullshit, they have a power trip going on, then bang, you got yourself a sticker. Before this emissions shit it was just a sticker, i could deal with that, now its a sticker ( was bout $400 average to get my stickers from previous off ) plus emissions = 1 to 3k to remove.

Na KEC build Stock motors, no cams there.

HSV Manta is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-02-2020 @ 07:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by WH Captain View Post
    Manta.. Are u working for the DPI? Are u a cop?

....but would it matter if I was??

and you're right there's nothing wrong with a "fuel spitting cammed up LS motor".....just don't drive it on a public road..

Last edited by HSV Manta; 02-07-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling

WHY NOT???

If i want a lumpy idle and a 2Lt per 100km increase in my fuel usage, i should be allowed to! I just find this whole thing complete Crap! Theres much more real world shit they should be doin rather than chasing us down with camshafts, turbos and blowers.. well anything for that matter, even your stocko would fail!!

Hang on... are you a GREENY? Save the whales and all that?

WHY NOT???
    Because its illegal

Extract from the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards Regulations) 2002

69. Alteration of vehicles

(1) A person must not, without the approval of the Director
    General, alter a car or a derivative of a car from —
    (a) the manufacturer’s specifications; or
    (b) its form when it was first licensed, in regard to any part
    of its construction, equipment or fittings that was
    effected, manufactured or constructed in accordance
    with an ADR by making an alteration referred to in the
    Table to this subregulation.
    Penalty: 16 PU.
    Modified penalty: 2 PU

You obviously need educating

You can read the rest of it here...

http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation..._homepage.html

Cheers

HAHA Your arent ya??

U have nothing illegal or any mods at all on your car then? If not your car must soooooooooooo much fun! U sure u drive a Ute? Utes are usually reserved for MEN.

And i need no educating, especially from a soft handed .

Your obviously on the DPIs side here.. i know mods can be illegal but they way they are making us have the tests all at our cost is bullshit.. and at 1 or 2 shops in WA? For 1k plus? I know Im not the only one here not happy, but you sir seem to be loving it!

Tre-Cool is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 12:01 AM

Quote Originally Posted by HSV Manta View Post
    Because its illegal

Extract from the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards Regulations) 2002

69. Alteration of vehicles

(1) A person must not, without the approval of the Director
    General, alter a car or a derivative of a car from —
    (a) the manufacturer’s specifications; or
    (b) its form when it was first licensed, in regard to any part
    of its construction, equipment or fittings that was
    effected, manufactured or constructed in accordance
    with an ADR by making an alteration referred to in the
    Table to this subregulation.
    Penalty: 16 PU.
    Modified penalty: 2 PU

You obviously need educating

You can read the rest of it here...

http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation..._homepage.html

Cheers
    Technically changing the brand of tyre modifies the car from original OE Spec.

The problem with these laws and ADR's etc is they only ever affect new cars, not the millions of "unroadworthy" shitters still being driven around.

I put unroadworthy in quotation marks because i classify that as cars with little to no maintenaince performed on them etc to be far more dangerous than people with a passion for motor vehicles who reguarly maintain their rides.
    It's happened before, It will all happen again.

HAHA Your arent ya??

U have nothing illegal or any mods at all on your car then? If not your car must soooooooooooo much fun! U sure u drive a Ute? Utes are usually reserved for MEN.

And i need no educating, especially from a soft handed .

Your obviously on the DPIs side here.. i know mods can be illegal but they way they are making us have the tests all at our cost is bullshit.. and at 1 or 2 shops in WA? For 1k plus? I know Im not the only one here not happy, but you sir seem to be loving it!

Gee Wizz that didnt take long.

Can't keep up?? Insults are the last bastion of the great unwashed and are a sure sign of stupidity....

Never said I drove a ute....

the big fist is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-01-2017 @ 06:56 PM

oh boo hoo. It's all just hype. Look at how many cars have actually been crushed under the hoon laws. As manta has said, these laws have ALWAYS been around in one shape or another. The only difference being that now it's going to cost you an additional $700 per test. I HIGHLY doubt that they would not pass a stock car, if not, then you have a great case to go against your car dealer with.
    In reality there are blokes here spending BIG dollars on mods yet are crying at a $700 test. Whats the saying, "you play, you pay"

macca33 is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 07-09-2021 @ 06:43 PM

I tell 'ya, you WA blokes will argue just for the sake of it.

HSV Manta is providing FACTS, whether you accept them or not is irrelevant, yet is no authority to attack his stance on the subject.

How about we keep the personal insults aside and continue to discuss the subject at hand, or it will be shut-down...simple really.

cheers

Furthermore - the big fist has pretty much hit the nail on the head - most of our modifications render the car non-compliant with standards for registration, so if you do get caught, suck it up princess - you play, you pay.
    HSV Senator 300 - the Classy C4B..

C4B - ETP215s 62cc, Comp 215/223 .601/.609 @111+3, Manley 8.050" 5/16" P/R, Morel Link-bar lifters, Powerbond 25% UDP, 36lb injectors, SLP pump, Rollmaster chain, OTRCAI, T-56 - RipShift, HydraTrak 3.91:1, DiFilippo 1.75" 4-1s, twin 3" st/st cat-back, 3" metal substrate hi-flow cats. AP-Racing 6/4-pots. EFIlive COS3 SD tune.

308rwkW(413rwhp)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389253...lden-commodore

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    Technically changing the brand of tyre modifies the car from original OE Spec.

The problem with these laws and ADR's etc is they only ever affect new cars, not the millions of "unroadworthy" shitters still being driven around.

I put unroadworthy in quotation marks because i classify that as cars with little to no maintenaince performed on them etc to be far more dangerous than people with a passion for motor vehicles who reguarly maintain their rides.
    Yeah I don't know about that. Most of the old shitters wouldn't get to the point of an emissions test as they would probably have other more critical defects which would see them off the road anyway.

But what do you classify as a new car. I wouldn't classify my 2007 model SS as new!!

As I said I reckon that unless you have seriously modded the engine to the point where it bears little resemblance to the factory equivilant most enthusiasts have nothing to fear from this. I aint going to lose sleep over it and I am not going to rush out and replace my factory exhaust...

HAHA

i know there facts. It dont really matter, fact or not its UNFAIR to MOST us who care about the cost to reverse the work we have done, its not just the test cost itself, there are so many smokey bombs getting around that should be targeted first, that and the GOVT should set up a test centre, not go to KEC who are seeing $$$$$

Thread Information