Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Falcon Ecoboost test mules up and running

Excellent is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 10-01-2010 @ 12:28 PM

Falcon Ecoboost test mules up and running

smaky is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 25-07-2012 @ 02:56 PM

Re: Falcon Ecoboost test mules up and running

"One of the things we also see, by-and-large, is that a lot of the Australian buyers love the six-cylinder turbo. It gives them the power, the performance, [and] cost of ownership is lower... Technology has just moved on and on and on in terms of what you can deliver with smaller sized engines," stated Burela.
    Except, you know, turbos are yet another point of failure. How will government fleet buyers justify extra maintenance costs?

Metal is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 30-05-2011 @ 09:51 PM

Quote Originally Posted by smaky View Post
    Except, you know, turbos are yet another point of failure. How will government fleet buyers justify extra maintenance costs?
    Well I have a vehicle with a manufacturer's stock turbo, which I don't drive lightly and have not yet had a problem to date (touch wood). Even if there was a problem with a fleet car's turbo, it would generally be under warranty would it not? Costs for my services/maintenance are no higher than any other non-turbo I have owned.
    Last edited by Metal; 11-09-2009 at 04:54 PM.

FlatfootV8 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 17-08-2011 @ 11:13 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Metal View Post
    Well I have a turbo vehicle which I don't drive lightly and have not yet had a problem to date (touch wood), and even if there was a problem with a fleet car's turbo, it would generally be under warranty would it not?
    Just look at a fleet with trucks majority are turbocharged as long as they are serviced and well maintained failure rates would be rather low. Also latest turbo's are more reliable than 5-20 years ago too.

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by smaky View Post
    The same thing was said about fuel injection. O how wrong people can be.

smaky is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 25-07-2012 @ 02:56 PM

Yer fair call. Probably my bias for large engines... I always thought that turbos were best treated nicely as in proper time to spin down. Can't imagine fleet users doing that, if it's necessary. May dad always let his Defender TDI idle for a minute before shut-down.

Evman is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 11-12-2016 @ 11:07 AM

I'm adamant the smaller engines will be a good thing for the low spec models, just like I think it's a good thing Holden went the 3.0L V6 for theirs.

doddsy is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 15-02-2012 @ 03:17 PM

So Ford is stealing parts from the Mazda6 MPS now. Considering the Duratec and MZR engines are basically the same (VVT being the main difference) THe Falcon could be running a Japanese engine. Might stop the Ford guys commenting on rice-burners!!!

I had a Mazda6 MPS. It's AWD and weighed 1650kg. Thats almost the same as the Falcon. It was not as fuel efficient as a V6 VE Commodore so I can't see the point of putting one in a Falcon.

planetdavo is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 01-10-2014 @ 07:44 PM

Quote Originally Posted by FlatfootV8 View Post
    Just look at a fleet with trucks majority are turbocharged as long as they are serviced and well maintained failure rates would be rather low. Also latest turbo's are more reliable than 5-20 years ago too.
    It depends on the application of course.
    Large trucks with turbo diesel engines are seriously heavy cast iron motors that don't rev much and have slow spinning turbo's (compared to petrol engines).
    Claims of a petrol engined turbo car costing more to maintain in the long run is likely correct (due to the extra stresses on a boosted engine, plus turbo failure/wear), but most will survive a warranty period without drama, which is about the period most buyers keep their car for.

VW Golf R32 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 02-02-2010 @ 10:10 PM

4 cylinder Falcon = epic failure.

planetdavo is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 01-10-2014 @ 07:44 PM

Quote Originally Posted by VW Golf R32 View Post
    4 cylinder Falcon = epic failure.
    Time will tell. At least they are trying things.
    Many said the 3 litre Commodore would be sh!t before it was even released.
    Go ask anyone that has driven one what they think now.

paulvdb is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 06-01-2015 @ 12:05 PM

My main issue with this option is HOW LONG it's taking - Early 2011!!! That's madness. The engine already exists. The car already exists. Yeah - it's a bit lighter so the suspension, brakes, steering, ABS will have to be re-calibrated. But these guys are talking a year and a half.

By the time the 4 cyl Falcon comes out, the 3.0 will have already had further tweeks, the 3.6 will be in it's next version and the Volt will be just around the corner.

This whole issue is like Ford's stupid LILPG and Diesel plans. By the time the LI engine comes out it won't matter as petrol engines will be getting 6-7l/100, and by the time the diesel comes out no-one will be making that version of the diesel anymore (plus it'll still use as much diesel as the new Holden petrol engines).

If Ford were selling heaps of cars then this would be justified. The reality is that Ford is struggling to keep up with Hyundai and Mazda. The hybrid camry and 3l commodores will make all the fleets happy - and Ford will only be selling taxis!

VW Golf R32 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 02-02-2010 @ 10:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by paulvdb View Post
    My main issue with this option is HOW LONG it's taking - Early 2011!!! That's madness.
    Ford already publicly stated that they will release a liquid LPG version of the I6 engine in the 2nd half of 2010. In my opinon that will sell better than the 4cyl as it will have more power but cheaper fuel costs.

Quote Originally Posted by paulvdb View Post
    My main issue with this option is HOW LONG it's taking - Early 2011!!! That's madness. The engine already exists. The car already exists. Yeah - it's a bit lighter so the suspension, brakes, steering, ABS will have to be re-calibrated. But these guys are talking a year and a half.
    A manufacturer doing this is no backyard operation doing an engine swap like we read about on here day in, day out.
    There's the obvious things like engineering it to fit, but then you have the time consuming things like validating it to meet corporate warranty requirements, and customer satisfaction issues like acceptable NVH levels and performance/economy levels, plus the biggie, a new set of expensive crash tests will be required for ADR's, which could require a new front end structure due to the serious reduction in engine length to take some of the crash energy.
    Like I said, it aint like going to a tuner for a drive in/drive out engine swap!

glavas is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-02-2011 @ 02:58 PM

correct me if im wrong cause i dont no much about turbos.

a turbo dosent kick in to mid to high in the rev range yes? so untill this falcon hits what maybe 3-4000rpm it will come on boost? so in reality in traffic and in alot of stop start driving. this thing is just a na 4 cylinder car pulling around a big car?

Thread Information