Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: HSV Boss reckons FPV not HSV Competitor!!

troytroy is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 31-01-2015 @ 07:01 PM

HSV Boss reckons FPV not HSV Competitor!!

In the latest WHEELS magazine HSV's Phil Harding reckons that FPV is not a direct competitor to HSV

He states that only two percent cross the fence from Ford to Holden etc

Therefore he thinks that comparos between each product is irrelevant.

I'm sure every owner on here whether it be HSV/Holden or Ford/FPV want to know how their car stacks up against the competition.

If XR8's were quicker and FPV GT's offered more power and were quicker than a GTS - would any of you guys switch teams? I know I would easily get into a new FG F6.....

Grant is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 23-05-2011 @ 01:30 PM

Re: HSV Boss reckons FPV not HSV Competitor!!

Quote Originally Posted by troytroy View Post
    In the latest WHEELS magazine HSV's Phil Harding reckons that FPV is not a direct competitor to HSV

I'm sure every owner on here whether it be HSV/Holden or Ford/FPV want to know how their car stacks up against the competition.

If XR8's were quicker and FPV GT's offered more power and were quicker than a GTS - would any of you guys switch teams? I know I would easily get into a new FG F6.....
    Only 2% of customers come from FPV. Therefore, FPV is not a competitor. HSV is not competing with FPV for the same customers. Where's the problem?

Whether or not the cars are competitive with respect each other is a separate issue. In terms of HSV as a business, FPV is not a competitor.

SHANESVZSS is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 24-11-2011 @ 01:57 PM

i would never buy a xr8 or gt/p no matter how much faster they were than HSV i just dont like them , the F6 however i would buy they are the best thing to come out of FPV , i love reading/comparing HSV to FPV , holden to ford and regardless of what hsv says , its always going to be HSV vs FPV and HOLDEN vs FORD , its the law

Smitty is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 07:59 PM

hmmmmm.....
    bit like telling Holdens Commercial fleet sales manager that his counterpart at Ford (or Toyota for that matter) is irrelevant and he has no competition from them...
    SMITTY
    Member PIARC HSCCV Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

csv rulz is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-06-2023 @ 09:14 PM

I can see what he means, most people who buy FPV or HSV would not buy the other brand no matter how much better the other car may or may not be.

The cars are very similar but HSV get most of there customers who drive euro cars so there focus is on targeting them and not targeting FPV customers. Its just business.

It was good to see the Senator come out on top of the F6E though. and if they had of compared them to a similar priced merc (not a $200,000+ merc) they would have blown it away.

pah is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-03-2023 @ 05:08 PM

I changed camps for the first time this year. I bought an FG XR6T.

Can FPV can claim they've never charged as much as $150k for one of their Falcon based products? How much was the W427? Some might regard the W427 ticket as a lot of money for a Commodore based car.

Loyalty worries me. If Ford and Holden are sure we will NEVER jump ship due to dis-satisfaction or the other guy having a better mouse trap, DO THEY HAVE TO TRY??

PAH
    Last edited by pah; 23-12-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Toddler78 is online now Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 29-03-2024 @ 10:13 AM

Quote Originally Posted by pah View Post
    I changed camps for the first time this year. I bought an FG XR6T.

I guess FPV can claim they've NEVER charged as much as $150k for one of their Falcon based products. How much was the W427?

Loyalty worries me. If Ford and Holden are sure we will NEVER jump ship due to dis-satisfaction or the other guy having a better mouse trap, DO THEY HAVE TO TRY??

PAH

PAH,
    you and a fair few others on this forum have swapped over to the F6, and many others that wish they could have a F6. I think HSV are nieve to think that they have their target customers all sewed up.
    I'm not a hoon, I'm just competitive

glavas is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-02-2011 @ 02:58 PM

holden/hsv no that alot of people are loyal to the brand. my mum for example dosent no anything abut cars but she always buys a new commy? why beacause thats what she has always known. my nanna said to me the other day she wants to buy a new kingswood and sell her old one haha.

me i will always buy commodores. its more then just a car its a legacy it is tradition. every family holiday was in a commy. we always had them and i always will. if holden commodore was a church id be a priest!

planetdavo is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 01-10-2014 @ 07:44 PM

Who really cares?
    The media loves choosing a "winner" between the two, because Joe Public loves seeing which one wins a comparo for bragging rights, but if there is virtually no cross-shopping between brands, it is correct what he says.
    Both brands are really just an extension of the old school Ford vs Holden battle.

smokey777 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-12-2011 @ 12:48 PM

^^ this is why we are considered bogans lol

It might be just me but I don't have enough loyalty to a brand to blindly buy the next model when the comptetition (or alternatives) are better.

It scares me as well that HSV reckon they don't have to compete with FPV. Surely over the years all the increase in power, quality, handling and appointment levels etc between HSV and FPV are related in some way. Whether they admit to it or not but those customers coming from European cars may not be as one eyed as some of us on this forum and are likely to go to either a Holden/HSV or Ford/FPV (a good value Australian performance sedan), and it will most likley be the better one - so technically they are competing indirectly anyway. And they are certainly competing for the same demographic.

I would have thought that Ford's AU model was a perfect example of what happens when you produce ugly crap - you lose customers, and V8 lovers. When you compare VT-VX V8 sales to Ford AU V8 sales - it becomes obvious what happends to the market share when product disparity occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by glavas View Post
    my nanna said to me the other day she wants to buy a new kingswood and sell her old one haha.

me i will always buy commodores. its more then just a car its a legacy it is tradition. every family holiday was in a commy. we always had them and i always will. if holden commodore was a church id be a priest!

Smitty is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 07:59 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    ....... In terms of HSV as a business, FPV is not a competitor.
    so who really is???

based on my experiences, it definitely is NOT the Europeans

The owners of BMWs (eg 5 series) Mercedes (C or E class)
    or Audi that I know, would never contemplate a HSV
    ...any model HSV and why?
    because it has no prestige!

These guys do not have an issue with money
    (most could afford to buy a couple of Senators)
    but a HSV is based on a Commodore..and that is the problem.
    A tarted up Commodore sedan is not seen
    to be anywhere in the sight of these guys...they talk
    'will I have the M3 soft-top or hot Audi or maybe one of the AMGs?'
    when they look at their next new car

HSV are so off the planet if they think they can get
    owners of Euro marques interested
    SMITTY
    Member PIARC HSCCV Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

MaDDoG is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 03-03-2015 @ 10:58 AM

I just like cars. I am on my 3rd HSV (VX Clubby, VY2 Senator, VE GTS) and to be honest I was looking at FPV but the wife did not like them. Its not about outright speed or acceleartion to, but the whole package and from that standpoint some things Ford are better and some things Holden are better. I do like the FG range. They are a nicer more upmarket finish inside but I hate that heavy bulging front end and bonnet. The F6 is fast and the 6 speed auto is a gem, but at thend of the day I want a V8.....loooooove that sound.

Of course they are competitors, and we are bettr off for it!!!!!

planetdavo is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 01-10-2014 @ 07:44 PM

It might be just me but I don't have enough loyalty to a brand to blindly buy the next model when the comptetition (or alternatives) are better.

It scares me as well that HSV reckon they don't have to compete with FPV. Surely over the years all the increase in power, quality, handling and appointment levels etc between HSV and FPV are related in some way. Whether they admit to it or not but those customers coming from European cars may not be as one eyed as some of us on this forum and are likely to go to either a Holden/HSV or Ford/FPV (a good value Australian performance sedan), and it will most likley be the better one - so technically they are competing indirectly anyway. And they are certainly competing for the same demographic.

I would have thought that Ford's AU model was a perfect example of what happens when you produce ugly crap - you lose customers, and V8 lovers. When you compare VT-VX V8 sales to Ford AU V8 sales - it becomes obvious what happends to the market share when product disparity occurs.
    Every car competes "indirectly". They are all cars!
    The new car industry is purely about sales. Who's getting the most they can, and who's taking them off whom. If HSV sales are not being lost to FPV, why would they actually be a direct competitor?
    Your AU example is really not relevent to your question posed. Tickford (back then) had to base their car off an unpopular Ford model. The same stigma carried over.
    Ford/Tickford lost sales to HSV during that period, not so much the other way around. HSV of course need to be "aware" of them, as they would with many other companies.
    Last edited by planetdavo; 23-12-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Thread Information