Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Show your support for a Melb Drag Strip - Leave the Vic Gov a message here

vz6.0 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 14-01-2024 @ 03:20 PM

Re: Show your support for a Melb Drag Strip - Leave the Vic Gov a message here

someone spent some money in anticipation of making a shitload more of it, someone else changed the realities of the outcome away from what might have originally been discussed and when there was less money to be made for the risk involved, like any good businessman the guy walked away.

risk vs. reward and all that, there was nothing altruistic at all about any of it.

MickStephens is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 16-11-2013 @ 07:49 PM

Re: Show your support for a Melb Drag Strip - Leave the Vic Gov a message here

Official word from the man who was calling the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Miocevich
    In 2006 it was clear that there was little happening that was likely to deliver a new Drag Racing venue. It was suggested that I might be able to help the Victorian racers by pushing the Victorian Government to fund a new venue using the experience I gained convincing the Western Australian Government to build the Perth Motorplex.

Having been a Drag Racing competitor for decades and the Director of Perth Motorplex (& Ravenswood Int Raceway before that), I sat down with ANDRA and we reached an agreement, where I would pay all costs and do the work to convince the Victorian Government to fund a new ANDRA Drag Racing venue.

In exchange, my company would operate the venue for an initial period (5 yrs + 5yr option to recover the investment).

This would ensure the venue was running efficiently with proven systems and provide a low risk for the Government. At the conclusion of the initial period, ANDRA could go out for to tender for a commercial operator to achieve the required ANDRA objectives.

This agreement was clear and conditional on ANDRA's ongoing support with no interference from ANDRA on any issues.

I take this moment to highly commend Tony Thornton (ANDRA CEO at the time) who was the ANDRA executive overseeing and supporting my work as well as attending some of the hundreds of meetings in pursuit of the new Melbourne venue.

After some years of frustration with the former (Labor) Government we were very refreshed by the current Liberal Government, who didn't make it an election promise, however they did say that they know the demand for a new Drag Racing venue was there and they would like to help.

Since the election the Premier has publically re-stated, that while they are financially stressed currently, they would consider building the new Drag Racing venue as and when finances allowed.

Now the disappointing section.

Over the period that we were working on this project it became apparent that there was interference by a few ANDRA Divisional Directors and things were becoming more difficult within ANDRA. This culminated in 2011 when ANDRA changed from an Association to a Company Ltd.

While this change was not a problem, some of the people were. Some of the new ANDRA Board decided that the promoters, which included me, were the enemy. Their damaging actions made my position as the Hon ANDRA Project Director and the person supplying the funding, completely untenable.

By this stage, I had invested some $600,000 in the new Melbourne Drag Racing project. This investment over some years was based on my agreement with ANDRA, which I relied upon, in my decision to make the investment and help Drag Racing prosper again in Victoria.

I have been advised to take legal action against ANDRA however my desire was to help ANDRA, the Victorian racers and the sport generally. I have little desire to pursue a legal remedy and I plan to focus my energies on positively growing the success of Perth Motorplex into the future, with my great Perth team.

I have tried to reach a mutually acceptable position with ANDRA, without success so I'm withdrawing my services (and funding).

I've advised ANDRA some time ago that I was not prepared to throw any further money away, given ANDRA's actions and the alleged breeches of the agreement.

I hope the ANDRA Board have a long-term plan for the Victorian Drag racers, however I seriously doubt they have the capability or experience to secure a new venue.

My personal losses on this project are significant and disappointing, however my main concern is that the Victorian Drag Racers have lost a once in a lifetime opportunity to have a world-class new Drag Racing venue.

I take this opportunity to thank all the Victorian Drag Racers and their friends for their support, enthusiasm and friendship over the years.

My best wishes go to all the Victorian Racers that helped with this project only to be let down by ANDRA's failure to honour the agreement with little discussion with me or consideration of the impact on the Victorian racers environment.

I would still be happy to offer advice should anyone else that wishes to try and pick up the task. My estimation is that we are between 80% and 85% of the process to achieve a Government commitment.

In the mean time, you are all welcome to join us for the Drag Racing boom times that are occurring at Perth Motorplex.

Yours Sincerely in Drag Racing.

Gary Miocevich
    Director
    Perth Motorplex

Thread Information