Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fibre interior trim!

2 modit is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 08-04-2012 @ 10:58 PM

Re: Carbon Fibre interior trim!

does anyone knowwhere you can buy this in sydney (like a shop)

snapper5.7L is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 13-05-2013 @ 09:54 PM

As a bit of a carbon nut, that looks great. Hmmm, needs some more in my car now lol

lowriding is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-01-2017 @ 08:09 PM

use sublime on ebay he is pretty good . I tried to do this about a year ago but found the VY grille just too hard , it would have looked amazing though but i just couldnt get it done ... too many curves .

HSV Listy is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 19-02-2019 @ 07:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by lowriding View Post
    use sublime on ebay he is pretty good . I tried to do this about a year ago but found the VY grille just too hard , it would have looked amazing though but i just couldnt get it done ... too many curves .
    That is who I ended up using. Good postage time, $80 for a 1.2m x 1m sheet and good service. When I talked to him about the glue he said it is a permanent glue and is not removable and most people are put off from this.

His words below
    You do not use glue when applying any film. What you will need is 3M Primer 94. It is an adhesion promoter not glue. It makes the surface area you are working on tacky so the film can stick better to the substrate. It is not always needed except on heavily curved surfaces. There is a drawback with using primer and that is once it is applied the installation is not reversible which turns most people off.

Stevieboy34 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-01-2019 @ 08:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Evman View Post
    It does get hot but no hotter than the dash itself. The adhesive is pressure activated, not heat activated so as long as there's no contaminants on the surfaces it should stick fine for years. The only issue I've has is in extremely tight corners it will lift, but there is a 3M primer available that is supposed to greatly increase the bonding strength so I'll give that a shot one day when I can be bothered redoing it all. I estimate it took me about 12 hours do my interior including removing and replacing everything, and I did the whole lot including the air vents at the rear of the console. This stuff is extremely hard wearing and you can scrape all sorts across it without marking it, as I've found out I highly recommend it should anyone be willing to give it a try.

(Top gauge pod is covered now too)
    Mate this is outstanding! I have really never been into the carbon thing and always thought its a bit "ricey" but I cant believe how good it looks. Great work and good on you fellas being brave enough to have a bash. Huge improvment IMO.

MarsVolta is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 09-03-2013 @ 06:28 PM

wow that looks sick evan.

Evman is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 11-12-2016 @ 11:07 AM

Thanks guys. I highly recommend giving it a shot. It takes time but it's fairly straight forward, and in the end if it doesn't work out you can just peel it off IMO it takes away that horrible plastic look and feel to the (for lack of a better description) horrible plastics

tomholzy is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 26-04-2013 @ 04:21 PM

Thanks guys for the info and confidence to try it,
    I cant recommend it highly enough, its easy to use, easy to take off and try again if you stuff up,

every time I did a bit I got bolder and did a harder part,
    here are some photos

I even managed to get it on the dash surrounds and steering wheel spokes (which were a pain to get off)

Evman is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 11-12-2016 @ 11:07 AM

^^ Top effort, especially for tackling the steering wheel trim too

JaMeS_2007 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 21-05-2018 @ 06:35 PM

the part i would find hard and be picky on is getting the lines to be the same angle of the carbon fibre.

but it does look great thats for sure.

can u paint a clear coat over the top to give it a glossy look?

The_Senator is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 06-03-2018 @ 10:41 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tomholzy View Post
    I cant recommend it highly enough, its easy to use, easy to take off and try again if you stuff up,

here are some photos

I even managed to get it on the dash surrounds and steering wheel spokes (which were a pain to get off)
    Any tips on the steering wheel spokes? After several goes i was sure it was screwed on somewhere and just let it be.. I've been wanting to do the wheel - but was not going to pay some holden tech the $$$ to take it off and re-fit it after i CF'd it..
    Don't dream it, DO IT....

Xenon is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-04-2019 @ 07:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tomholzy View Post

here are some photos

Quick question, did you disassemble the interior before applying the carbon fiber stuff, or just apply it where it was?

Stevieboy34 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-01-2019 @ 08:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Quick question, did you disassemble the interior before applying the carbon fiber stuff, or just apply it where it was?
    Pretty sure they have said they take it off mate. It'd be too dificult to get at it oterwise I reckon

tomholzy is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 26-04-2013 @ 04:21 PM

I took the interior pieces out first and wrapped the carbon around the back, this made it easier and less chance of peeling off

for the steering wheel spokes they werent very hard, just disconnect your battery and follow
    http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...ff-airbag.html
    take the whole wheel off then undo the screws on the front and rear and bingo

rgmast is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 16-10-2019 @ 08:02 PM

You guys must of been real good at contacting ya school books

Thread Information