Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 410ci L98 Boost Build

Tre-Cool is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 12:01 AM

410ci L98 Boost Build

Thanks to the great Aussie Dollar I'm about to start the process of building a new motor for my ute, as i want to use the car for track work the plan is to make the motor ultra reliable. Though given the amount of abuse factory motors take this one should last a while.

Parts list so far:

Block: Factory Alloy 6lt block resleeved with Darton Dry sleeves along with all the general bullshit that goes along with the machine work etc.
    ARP Main & Head stud kit
    Pistons: Carillo 4.130 x 1.2" CH - 15cc Dish
    Crank: Callies Dragonslayer 3.8" - 24x
    Rods: Callies Compstar
    Clevite Rod & Main Bearings
    Lifters: Morel PBM
    Camshaft: Comp Cams 247/251@.050" .624/624 Lift. 114 LSA + 2
    Comp Camshaft retaining plate kit
    Rollmaster Double Row timing chain set
    Ported Factory oil pump
    LS9 Headgaskets
    Mast LS3 4.125 big bore Cyclinder heads
    Factory LS7 Rockers (thought about going aftermarket but the price is rediculous & or come in a 1.8 ratio which would require higher lift valve springs = more $$$)
    .660" lift dual valvesprings
    Improved Racing sump baffle & Mocal remote oil thermostat (for oil cooler)
    Pushrods: Not ordered yet, not until engine is assembled and height is checked.
    Powerbond 10% overdrive 8PK pulley

I think that is everything for the engine side.

The rest of the build consists of a Harrop HTV2300 with toothed rear belt system & 80lb injectors

The car allready had:
    PWR Alloy Radiator - engine
    PWR Alloy Radiator - Supercharger
    15 Row Oil Cooler for Powersteering
    25 row oil cooler for engine oil
    NPC Twin plate Clutch
    CC Pacemaker 1 7/8 - 3.5" headers
    Twin 044, surgetank etc. I will eventually put in an additional 60+ litre tank for next years cannonball run. just to so save on fuel stops.

As im still waiting on a few parts to turn up, i have only taken a couple of pictures, along with pinching one out of njc's thread as his is a better quality pic and let's face it once you've seen 1 ARP box, headgaskets etc, you've seen them all.

Powerwise im hoping to make 400rwhp

It's happened before, It will all happen again.

IJ. is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-08-2018 @ 01:19 PM

Re: 410ci L98 Boost Build

Will be following this one closely

peter b is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 07-05-2016 @ 09:33 PM

I was under the belief that the LS7 came with rockers in 1.8 ratio from the factory happy to be corrected but that is what I am led to believe.

Tre-Cool is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 12:01 AM

Quote Originally Posted by peter b View Post
    I was under the belief that the LS7 came with rockers in 1.8 ratio from the factory happy to be corrected but that is what I am led to believe.

you are correct. but not many companies sell ls7 rockers in a 1.7 ratio and if they do there bulk dollars. like 1300+.

so i have chosen to go with the stock rockers and upgrade the springs.

I may have stuffed up on my 1st post. i'll edit it... no i cant. too late. lol
    Last edited by Tre-Cool; 13-05-2011 at 03:49 PM.

jaykay is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 09-04-2021 @ 12:41 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post

Powerwise im hoping to make 400rwhp
    Ummm are you serious Dave, only 400 ??????

Quote Originally Posted by jkgmh View Post
    Ummm are you serious Dave, only 400 ??????
    yeah, but i didnt say at which point of the rpm curve.

small tidbit on the camshaft:
    Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller 247 / 251 .624/.624 114 LSA, Designed for race applications with a Roots blower. Very strong high rpm power. RPM range from 2700 to 7200. Actual lift wil be closer to 660 though from the 1.8 rockers.

SirNemesis is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-12-2023 @ 08:38 AM

Subscribed

That is ALOT of lift with boost aswell, what springs are you running?

peter b is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 07-05-2016 @ 09:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    you are correct. but not many companies sell ls7 rockers in a 1.7 ratio and if they do there bulk dollars. like 1300+.

so i have chosen to go with the stock rockers and upgrade the springs.

I may have stuffed up on my 1st post. i'll edit it... no i cant. too late. lol
    Well then that being the case if the cam isn't ground already drop your lobe lift to 0.35 and with 1.8 rockers will still equal 0.624 valve lift.
    I have heard of someone that they machined the heads so that the pedastel (which on an LS7 is part of the head) is flat and then you can use either the LS1 or L98 rockers can't remember which one.

With 1.8 rockers that gives you 0.670 lift

Quote Originally Posted by peter b View Post
    Well then that being the case if the cam isn't ground already drop your lobe lift to 0.35 and with 1.8 rockers will still equal 0.624 valve lift.
    I have heard of someone that they machined the heads so that the pedastel (which on an LS7 is part of the head) is flat and then you can use either the LS1 or L98 rockers can't remember which one.

With 1.8 rockers that gives you 0.670 lift
    that's actually a good bloody idea. the cam hasnt been purchased yet, just what i had in mind. i will pass on to the supplier.

The mast heads flow a shitload of air the more lift you give them, but i did want to keep the overall lift under 650 due the cost of upgrading to .700 lift duals.

AGIT8D is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 29-10-2014 @ 08:24 PM

Any reason you didn't go with a Melling or otherwise oil pump? They are not very expensive and my vague knowledge would tell me oil flow insurance is optimum.. Perhaps the stock ported pump flows more and out performs the aftermarket?

heavyduty1340 is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 11-06-2015 @ 06:15 PM

Tre Cool - noice set up

Should be another quick car for you

no particular reason. except the oil pump that's being used is from the original engine which had minimal usage. i have then gone and ported the in/exit side of the oil pump and shimmed the spring for increased pressure.

I know it sounds silly to say im doing it on a budget considering some of the parts used, but i didnt feel replacing the oil pump was neccesary. Considering the abuse the motor in my ve has put up with and that's a factory motor, I dont feel the need to replace it.

I took some pics of parts when i got home, because everyone loves pictures...

What a piston looks like after a snapped valve and is repeatably stabbed to death by the remaining valve stem.

but yeah, anyway on to bigger and better things as they say.

The reason for the sleeves...(note the 2 gouges)

Only cyclinder 1 was damaged all the others were fine. The fact that this happened did not make me very happy at all.

Onto the new parts:
    Bearings & Timing set

Headgaskets

Assortment of Felpro gaskets. mainly front/rear timing covers seals etc.

Cleaned sump of all the extra bits left over from the piston and factory baffle removed in preperation for the aftermarket item.

7 spare factory pistons & rods. Free to a good/bad home.

Waterpump & blower boxed away for safe keeping.
    Last edited by Tre-Cool; 13-05-2011 at 08:53 PM.

throttlehappy is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-11-2014 @ 08:45 PM

good use for the alanis morrisette cd

SirNemesis is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 04-12-2023 @ 08:38 AM

Those don't look like LS9 headgaskets to me!

Quote Originally Posted by SirNemesis View Post
    Those don't look like LS9 headgaskets to me!
    they probably aren't then. i ordered 2 sets of gaskets. 1 for the new motor. 1 for my ve. as I have a dodgy lifter that needs replacing.

i just took a closer look and they are a 3 layer gasket, so possible ls7 gaskets. which because of the bore size would make sense.
    Last edited by Tre-Cool; 13-05-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Thread Information