Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Thunder getting BLOWN!

Stevieboy34 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-01-2019 @ 08:54 PM

Re: My new Thunder getting BLOWN!

Quote Originally Posted by ATOMIC MALOO R8 View Post
    Wow good heads up. I already have the full system on so I guess I will have to see if they last! Cheers.

AWS auto is stock, looking to get it tweaked, I'm sure it's health will depend on how it's driven...

AllWheelSlide is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-07-2021 @ 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevieboy34 View Post
    AWS auto is stock, looking to get it tweaked, I'm sure it's health will depend on how it's driven...
    Can't point to anything specific but have been told 6l80 longevity is dependent on the torque put through it.

Sounds like your new toy will be fun. I always admire people that take a new car and go b.lls to the wall and tweak it. Good stuff!

ATOMIC MALOO R8 is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 12-02-2017 @ 04:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Stevieboy34 View Post
    Wow good heads up. I already have the full system on so I guess I will have to see if they last! Cheers.
    just be carfull as i nearly destroyed my engine as one bank had 15psi and could have lifted a head or worse
    the other one was still on 7 to 8 pounds as it wasent compleatly blocked
    i think the thing that saved it was it blew a gasket just before the cat luckely i wasent up it when it happend

VYSHSV8 is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 04-02-2014 @ 11:55 AM

Quote Originally Posted by ATOMIC MALOO R8 View Post
    I have seen Magnaflow do the same as well as many other major manufacters have the same prob , it's like many things parts fail
    Under a bonnet listening for knock with my earmuffs on

OBNOXIOUS is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 23-12-2011 @ 05:07 PM

sounds awesome

SiLENCE is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 10-10-2014 @ 09:34 AM

Good job mate - my 08 ss has a nice safe 438 turbo fed rwkw, and coupled with a 3.73 diff the thing is totally ballistic!
    Don't concern yourself too much with the "with that sort of power and stock brakes you'll kill yourself" brigade bud.. The stock brakes were designed and fitted from factory in order to safely pull up the hefty mass of the ve. Sure, they won't last 2 seconds on a circuit (my stock brakes have repeatedly pulled me up from 128mph on the strip tho) and constant high speed braking will definately make them fade, but in terms of day to day driving they will certainly get the job done for now.
    Just remember mate, that half the blokes that hang around hear dream of one day having a car like the one you are building - there are only a handful of blokes that have actually driven something like it, let alone gone ahead and built one.
    If your car end up anything like my SS you will fvcking love it mate, but it's definitely the sort of power that seriously has to be respected because the second you take it for granted it will rip your face off - I'd recommend also having your ESP recalibrated and made more sensitive because nothing clenches the arse tighter than an unexpected skate at 100km/h in 3rd
    Harping on about cars like ours on here will always vocalize the opinions of the keyboard warriors, the jealous and those that reckon they know better than you because their age starts with a 3 or 4 - that's why I don't say shit about mine
    Enjoy it bud, it will be a blast to own - just treat it with the respect it deserves and you will have a ball

Cheers,
    Adam

Djbarnstar is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 10-10-2016 @ 09:18 AM

Quote Originally Posted by 6.2L.Club View Post
    Get out of your fairy land and get some experience before making such comments kid.

It's about safety, his and everyone else who is on the road around him. Even you should have a clue how long it takes to stop 1900 kg of vehicle, combine that with the rolling mass of 22" rims without a half decent suspension setup and power it with 600 or so rwhp. That young sir, is a lethal weapon waiting to kill someone.

Any vehicle, if it does not have suitable suspension and brakes will not be able to safely control 600 rwhp.

Well done to Steve for considering them, just make sure you buy a wheel to suit larger brakes. DuSpeed does some good brake kits.

I've never boiled stock brakes on the ss on the street.......... really how could you unless going nuts?

besides 600hp on 22's is smoke in a straight line. Thats about it.
    1.09 Wakefield, 12.3 @ 115 WSID Circuit Tyres

BadSeed is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 08-05-2013 @ 06:40 PM

had a harrop charged ve making 440. the brakes were poo

Djbarnstar is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 10-10-2016 @ 09:18 AM

Quote Originally Posted by BadSeed View Post
    had a harrop charged ve making 440. the brakes were poo
    did you boil them on the street?
    1.09 Wakefield, 12.3 @ 115 WSID Circuit Tyres

255-LS1 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 24-07-2015 @ 10:40 PM

sounds like a wonderful way to destroy the factory warranty lol

good luck with it mate!

IJ. is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-08-2018 @ 01:19 PM

Quote Originally Posted by SiLENCE View Post
    Good job mate - my 08 ss has a nice safe 438 turbo fed rwkw, and coupled with a 3.73 diff the thing is totally ballistic!
    Don't concern yourself too much with the "with that sort of power and stock brakes you'll kill yourself" brigade bud.. The stock brakes were designed and fitted from factory in order to safely pull up the hefty mass of the ve. Sure, they won't last 2 seconds on a circuit (my stock brakes have repeatedly pulled me up from 128mph on the strip tho) and constant high speed braking will definately make them fade, but in terms of day to day driving they will certainly get the job done for now.
    Just remember mate, that half the blokes that hang around hear dream of one day having a car like the one you are building - there are only a handful of blokes that have actually driven something like it, let alone gone ahead and built one.
    If your car end up anything like my SS you will fvcking love it mate, but it's definitely the sort of power that seriously has to be respected because the second you take it for granted it will rip your face off - I'd recommend also having your ESP recalibrated and made more sensitive because nothing clenches the arse tighter than an unexpected skate at 100km/h in 3rd Harping on about cars like ours on here will always vocalize the opinions of the keyboard warriors, the jealous and those that reckon they know better than you because their age starts with a 3 or 4 - that's why I don't say shit about mine
    Enjoy it bud, it will be a blast to own - just treat it with the respect it deserves and you will have a ball

Cheers,
    Adam
    Care to explain who does this "recalibration"??

OP: Thanks for the thread I'll be following this closely!

Vulture is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 17-04-2024 @ 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    Care to explain who does this "recalibration"??

OP: Thanks for the thread I'll be following this closely!
    Cripes! I wouldn't trust anything other than a full team of automotive engineers with test vehicles etc to recalibrate an ESP system! Not sure that is something that should be played with by the majority of aftermarket shops
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

IJ. is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-08-2018 @ 01:19 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
    Cripes! I wouldn't trust anything other than a full team of automotive engineers with test vehicles etc to recalibrate an ESP system! Not sure that is something that should be played with by the majority of aftermarket shops
    LOL my point exactly, Silence seems to have a thing about "Keyboard Warriors" and people that don't have hands on experience talking shit about things they don't know about......

Don't think I've ever heard of an ABS/ESP Module that can be accessed by the public and reprogrammed..

awesome _vzss is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 14-04-2018 @ 07:19 PM

Come on guys let's keep the thread clean,remember what this threads about,on the plus side I did see a nice black thunder ute at russo's the other day,Defently can't wait to see this thing finished.

RATTLER is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 18-07-2014 @ 07:08 AM

Sounds great mate and the smile you'll be wearing never comes off!!

Just a little bit of advice.... you don't have to have the biggest and best brakes out there! Harrop sell a great range of performance packages to suit everyone's budget!

If you're hunting for the 450rwkw mark, you're going to be using it but then you gotta hit those brakes hard and the stock ones won't last dude!

Just remember you will be able to go very fast but you won't be able to stop real quick so just go easy!

These are what I had on mine for a while with 425rwkw

http://www.harrop.com.au/brakedetail.php?prod=PERFORM

I started to do circuit work and went to 500rwkw so had to upgrade to these

http://www.harrop.com.au/brakedetail.php?prod=ULTIMATE

but if you're just using her on the street, the Performance Package should be fine mate and from memory were only around $2000?

Have fun with her dude and I look forward to the photos and updates

Scotty

P.S. If you ever wanna chat to someone regarding any of this, there's a few of us on here that have been there and done that and we don't mind giving advice....just send a PM

Thread Information