Thread: Rotating staggered HSV wheels (side to side ) requires balance ?

korrupt is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 20-04-2024 @ 02:51 PM

Rotating staggered HSV wheels (side to side ) requires balance ?

It's almost that time to swap the tyres on the Senator (side to side because of the staggered rim widths). Does that type of thing require a balance afterwards or should it just be good to go ?

steve_t is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 13-03-2014 @ 07:43 PM

Re: Rotating staggered HSV wheels (side to side ) requires balance ?

Should just be good to go but it's always good to have a balance if you haven't had one for a while. The place I get my tyres from give me a free rotate and balance every 6 months

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by korrupt View Post
    It's almost that time to swap the tyres on the Senator (side to side because of the staggered rim widths). Does that type of thing require a balance afterwards or should it just be good to go ?
    I gather your tyres aren't directional.

scorpion is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 03-01-2017 @ 07:30 PM

Just remember you cant flip assymetric tyres on the rims. ie swap the fronts across. They are directional and specify the oputside edge of the tyre. If some misinformed tyre fitter says you can then be very wary. Mounting assymetrical tyres backwards is a big no no. Will also void your insurance if you are involved in a bingle.

steve_t is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 13-03-2014 @ 07:43 PM

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    Good point. If they're RE050A as per stock then they're non-directional. They are asymmetric but non-directional

V28VX37 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 31-05-2017 @ 02:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by korrupt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    I was assuming korrupt was planning on taking tyres off the rims for this? If so, I would have thought a balance is also required.

There wouldn't be many non-directional tyres out there these days would there?

Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Good point. If they're RE050A as per stock then they're non-directional. They are asymmetric but non-directional
    Ok this just did my head in - maybe someone can point us to "Tyre Rotation for Dummies" somewhere
    Last edited by V28VX37; 11-07-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Saw new reply after posting

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
    Just remember you cant flip assymetric tyres on the rims. ie swap the fronts across. They are directional and specify the oputside edge of the tyre. If some misinformed tyre fitter says you can then be very wary. Mounting assymetrical tyres backwards is a big no no. Will also void your insurance if you are involved in a bingle.
    I don't think he's removing the tyres from the rims but just changing the wheels and tyres from side to side

mjrandom is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 20-10-2021 @ 11:14 PM

If your suspension is set up ok I am not sure what you will gain by doing this. FL probably cops more of a hammering with roundabouts than the FR but the rears do the same work. Both my E series wear the tyres flat across the tread so swapping them side for side won't do anything. In fact the tread wear is so even it's scary. Very happy to be corrected of course.

scorpion is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 03-01-2017 @ 07:30 PM

Cant do it. Direction of rotation will be reversed if you swap the rims around. I have looked into this in an effort to get more than the 32,000kms I got out of my first set of tyres on my VE GTS. Kills me, on the VX I got 55,000kms out of my last 2 sets of tyres and was informed I had done really well. Apparently 25,000kms is average on VE HSV's

At the end of the day tyres, brakes and petrol are the cheapest part of the car. Just buy new tyres and enjoy the drive.

VZ_V8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 20-05-2021 @ 06:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
    Kills me, on the VX I got 55,000kms out of my last 2 sets of tyres and was informed I had done really well.
    You should consider yourself lucky. My last set lasted 14,000kms

As what steve_t said. If they are RE050As then as long as the outside of the tyre stays on the outside its fine...
    Last edited by VZ_V8; 11-07-2011 at 07:54 PM.

korrupt is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 20-04-2024 @ 02:51 PM

Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    I don't think he's removing the tyres from the rims but just changing the wheels and tyres from side to side
    This is what I was planning. When I picked up the car, the sales guy recommended swapping them side to side every so often to make them last longer.

Last time I just had it done at Protek tyres, but this time I want to give the wheels a proper clean while they are off.

TIR33D is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 05-01-2012 @ 09:40 PM

OK FOR THE DUMMIES

DIRECTIONAL - this tyre will have a arrow pointing in a forward direction on the outside of the tyre. This tyre can be rotated from side to side provided the tyre is removed from the rim.

ASSYMETRICAL - this tyre has a inside edge and a outside edge (designed to be a quieter ride primarily) these tyres can be home rotated.

Balancing is always a good idea if the wheels are off, hence why most go to tyre shops.

For the original op unless you can see a difference from side to side you should just leave them. If one side is wearing more make sure you get a good 4 wheel aligment with your next set of tyres.

NB - there is a theory that a tyre develops a "memory" of its direction of rotation. When turned the opposite way balance issues can arise, higher potential noise - due to possible suspension issues. going by this theory assymetrical tyres should stay on the same side of the car.

tomholzy is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 26-04-2013 @ 04:21 PM

why would you even bother, the amount of money spent rotating & aligning wheels doesnt make up for the savings in wear, not to mention the increase in road noise & vibration

Woodchukka is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 29-05-2019 @ 02:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by TIR33D View Post
    OK FOR THE DUMMIES

NB - there is a theory that a tyre develops a "memory" of its direction of rotation. When turned the opposite way balance issues can arise, higher potential noise - due to possible suspension issues. going by this theory assymetrical tyres should stay on the same side of the car.
    I remember a TAFE teacher tellig me that years ago when I doing my apprentiship.

Quote Originally Posted by tomholzy View Post
    why would you even bother, the amount of money spent rotating & aligning wheels doesnt make up for the savings in wear, not to mention the increase in road noise & vibration
    If korrupt is going to do it himself at home, then there's no monetary spend, only time taken. BUT, since TIR33D is the expert here, I'll happily take his recommendation.

Oh, and just to clarify what I wrote earlier, my tyre guy that rotates and balances my tyres for free every 6 months does so on my non-staggered Subaru Legacy (Liberty for you guys). I've never rotated my Maloo tyres

Thread Information