Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Thread: 02 VX HSV Clubsport - S2

FrangaFry is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 07:19 PM

Re: 02 VX HSV Clubsport - S2

Quote Originally Posted by KIWIV8 View Post
    Cheers mate. Happy with how it is coming along. Got a couple of scratches over the weekend. One on the front bumper, and one on the side spoiler. I think it was when I was navigating a shopping centre speed hump.

I haven't really had a good go with it yet, but it sounds amazing and there feels like plenty there.

After the workshop blew up the gearbox on the road test on the night before they closed, and having to spend 5K to replace it a couple of days before Christmas, (warranty on box not covered as it made more power than the box was rated for.) I had to take it really easy.

I couldn't afford it if anything went wrong. The work came to a heap more than I had expected, and then to have to replace a gearbox I had only just refreshed. It has been a pretty stressful few weeks. Pretty disappointed with how it all went.

Broke down driving home from getting the new gearbox fitted. The new cooling system (Spal fans), blew both fuses and overheated in peak hour traffic in the North Sydney tunnel.

Got it home, and my mechanic and I re-did all the fan wiring with bigger gauge wiring, 140 amp relays and resettable 40 amp fuses. Was faultless on the trip.

Now I am back home I plan to have a bit more of a play but will have to be careful as the new box is rated to the same as the other 600hp. Engine made 400kw at the wheels, so going to have to plan for an alternative gearbox moving forward.

Throwing around either a 6 speed manual conversion or will have to go manualized, T400 or 4l80 from what I understand.

Man, I feel your pain .......... I've just refreshed my 4L60 again (clutch packs and tightened the converter) luckily I 'know a wizard' ......... but, I was told on the last full build that it is now as strong as it will ever be ..... having said that, I should have done a conversion to a manualized 4l80 waaaaaay back when after the first time I 'destroyed' my box (for me it was the 4->2 kickdown ............. this claimed 2 boxes before I learned the error of my ways ............) ..... I did look into a manual conversion or a 4L80 but at the time it was Hmmmmm 6k+ vs a couple of k ......... no brainer at the time (but i'm on my 4th or 5th rebuild now ............ so 6k may have been a good decision at the time).

I love driving my wags (like, REALLY love it) but damn 20 years down the track and LOTS of sh1t has started to fail and need replacing/repairing ......... no sh1t I rek'n I've spent a good 10k over the last year just to keep the old girl on the road (just had to replace my AC compressor last week as I couldn't go another summer with no in cabin cooling - so lets make that 11k+ in the last 12 months). The next big one coming is my blower .......... it's done 180k now and the service window is 150k I think ............ spoke with Harrop just before xmas and service could be anywhere from 1k to 4+k .................

I'm at the point now where I'd like to retire the old tart (car not wife) to weekend duties and get another daily ............... but, Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Minister says 'No farking way!' - her comment "you need to sell what you have and buy a small car" ........... BE FARKED!!!!!!

For some reason she seems to think that at 55 I no longer need a v8 (or my d1ck apparently.........) ........ again BE FARKED!!!!!!!!!!

So, the wagon daily duties continue (as does my daily frustration) and she will just have to whinge about the $$$ (for the repairs ....... not visits to the knock shop .....).

Someone on here 'years ago' said "you play, you pay" soooooooooooooo true ........ I paid 50k for my Wags 20 years ago and I think if I ever tallied all my receipts (of which I have as briefcase full) I would have 'easily' doubled that cost ....... for 19 years it was worth every dollar ......... this last 12 months not so much ..... LOL).

Having said all that .......... I still get a wicked grin and horns do grow out the side of my head sometimes (that sh1t would not happen in a Kia .......)

Do love what you've done though bud.

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 05:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by FrangaFry View Post
    The next big one coming is my blower ..........
    it's done 180k now and the service window is 150k I think ............
    spoke with Harrop just before xmas and service could be anywhere from 1k to 4+k .................
    Hey Carlton, please let me know how that turns out for you
    as because I was under the impression that service was just a 160,000 kilometer oil change?

Those Eaton blowers are very reliable.

KIWIV8 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 09-03-2024 @ 10:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by FrangaFry View Post
    Man, I feel your pain .......... I've just refreshed my 4L60 again (clutch packs and tightened the converter) luckily I 'know a wizard' ......... but, I was told on the last full build that it is now as strong as it will ever be ..... having said that, I should have done a conversion to a manualized 4l80 waaaaaay back when after the first time I 'destroyed' my box (for me it was the 4->2 kickdown ............. this claimed 2 boxes before I learned the error of my ways ............) ..... I did look into a manual conversion or a 4L80 but at the time it was Hmmmmm 6k+ vs a couple of k ......... no brainer at the time (but i'm on my 4th or 5th rebuild now ............ so 6k may have been a good decision at the time).

Having said all that .......... I still get a wicked grin and horns do grow out the side of my head sometimes (that sh1t would not happen in a Kia .......)

Do love what you've done though bud.
    As they say Life is too short to drive boring cars. Important in life to have something that puts a smile on your face, and this does thaat every time I drive it. (one of the tunnels in Canberra had amazing acoustics with a rev)

I am going on 14 years on this one, and pretty attached to it now. Was my work car for a lot of years, but now only the weekends. It is getting to hard now to get good parts.

I think the manual is going to be the way to go, but will look into it later in the year when I pay off this lot. I want to get the new engine we put together put in my sons car. (My current work car till he get's his P's)

KIWIV8 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 09-03-2024 @ 10:55 PM

Harrop Supercharger Install - Dyno Run
    https://youtu.be/rsu4ZkEionw?si=oNTPDcVaCRcluViN

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 05:40 PM

Looks great Martyn.

Thanks mate, and thanks for embedding the video properly.

Last edited by KIWIV8; 02-02-2024 at 07:51 PM.

scotty82 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 08:28 PM

That’s some nice numbers for an LS1. 8-9 psi is being sensible with the boost which is good to see. I bet it drives real nice now.
    VF II MY16 SSV-R Wagon with LSA Blower

Quote Originally Posted by scotty82 View Post
    That’s some nice numbers for an LS1. 8-9 psi is being sensible with the boost which is good to see. I bet it drives real nice now.
    Yeah, it drives real nice. Plenty of power, and has such a nice sound. I am still chasing a rattle somewhere underneath. I can't see anything rubbing.

Haven't really given it too much yet. Bit scared to damage the new gearbox at the moment as I am still paying all the work off. I am still deciding what to do with the gearbox long term, as it is only rated to 600hp, (same as the old box which the workshop broke on the road test. Craigs won't warrant the box with the power I am making). I am either going to convert it to a manual T56 or a manualised 4L80. Just being gentle with it at the moment.
    Last edited by KIWIV8; 03-02-2024 at 12:45 PM.

Thread Information