Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mustang NOT Confirmed for Australia

Jamolad is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 07-08-2022 @ 09:05 PM

2015 Mustang NOT Confirmed for Australia

Ignore original thread title - Mustang NOT Confirmed for Australia...yet!

I jumped the gun and did not notice the article was posted back in 2011...but it has some of them happy over at AFF

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...hat_to_expect/

As Mustang's 50th anniversary rapidly approaches, its maker is under enormous pressure to deliver a worthy update that will satisfy legions of loyal fans and appeal to masses around the globe. Ford finally is taking its iconic Mustang overseas.

Think of it as the flip side of One Ford, the program that brought the European Focus and Fiesta to the U.S. Ford will deploy America's original ponycar in new markets including such right-hand-drive countries as England, Japan, and Australia. For the first time, studios in Australia and Europe are contributing to the design of the new model. And the Mustang will finally get an independent rear suspension.

A decade after then-Ford veep Phil Martens' infamous attempt to save $100 a car by scrapping IRS in favor of retaining the live axle, the Mustang will finally enter the 21st century. There will no doubt be feelings of anger, grief, and betrayal from Mustang loyalists. Aging drag racers who argued for the live axle's stoplight launch advantages gave Ford a handy excuse for the cost-cutting. Ford has done amazing things with the live rear axle, but that technology's days are past. We expect Ford will revive the independent suspension design intended for the current-generation Mustang to keep costs down, even though the cost of putting it back in is far higher than that $100 per car saved six years ago.

Believed to be based on the inexpensive and lightweight Control Blade suspension Ford developed for the hind ends of its modern front-drive cars, the suspension will be similar to that of the Australian Ford Falcon. Computer-controlled torque vectoring may be in the cards for further handling improvements. There's a small chance the live rear axle could live on in a low-volume special edition aimed at drag racers, but this would force packaging compromises in the area over the differential.

Reviving an existing suspension design will allow Ford to evolve the Mustang platform rather than start from scratch. While our sources say the new version will be smaller and lighter, many current parts will carry over to help keep costs down. Ford knows the 2015 Chevrolet Camaro will be lighter and more agile than the current model, and it needs to build that car without breaking the bank.

Carryover begins under the hood. Since they're nearly new, the 3.7-liter V-6 and 5.0-liter V-8s should stay right where they are, though we're hearing whispers of direct injection for the 5.0. Word has it a revival of the SVO model is in the works, this time using Ford's brand-new EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder.

That engine is slated to produce 247 horsepower from 2.0 liters, and would serve the base Mustang well, though we're told Ford will increase its displacement to anywhere from 2.3 liters (like the original SVO) to 2.5 liters, with a power boost, of course.

Despite rumors, we expect Ford to skip the EcoBoost 3.5-liter twin-turbo V-6, at least for the '15 Mustang's launch. In its present form, it doesn't make enough power to take on the Chevrolet Camaro SS. Boosting the twin-turbo's power to Camaro SS levels would mean the EcoBoost V-6 would bump right into the 5.0-liter Coyote V-8, which means the 5.0 also would need a costly power boost to make it viable.

Ultimately, it will come down to performance Mustang sales volumes and whether or not the EcoBoost V-6 makes a big difference in Ford's Corporate Average Fuel Economy numbers.

The "retro" 2005 Mustang did a great job of freshening the car's look. The 2010-'11 major face-lift worked. If you're Ford's design team, how do you follow this up? It's time to throw out the retro, and that's why a radical redesign is underway. Though Ford is soliciting input from its designers around the globe, you needn't worry about another Mustang II showing up. There will be plenty of classic Mustang cues even as designers throw out the retro. A long hood/short deck and crisp, creased upper and lower quarter-panels seem a given. Will the notchback Mustang return? We doubt it. Sales volumes no longer warrant three body styles. Shown here is our artist's rendering of what the new coupe may look like.

We'll find out for certain in April 2014 at the New York auto show, where the 2015 Mustang is expected to debut 50 years to the month after the original premiered at the same show. It could be the same day, April 17, which would be on the second day of press conferences. Depending on how far Ford takes the 50th Anniversary tie-in, cars could go on sale soon after, unofficially as 2014 cars sold as 2015s, just as the original "1964" Mustangs were always marketed as 1965 models. If Ford really wants to go overboard, the original base price, times 10, would be just $1570 more than the current base price, bringing it to $23,680. Meanwhile, a light refresh is expected for the 2013 model year.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...#ixzz2VOwUWVRL
    Last edited by JT; 24-06-2013 at 08:22 PM.

jc_sv8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 10:59 PM

Re: 2015 Mustang Confirmed for Australia

Interesting:

Reports indicate that the supercharged ZL1 will produce about 570 horsepower, the same amount rumored for the new GT500. With the gauntlet thrown, Ford may try to increase performance to more than 600 horsepower. We're hearing Ford will bore out the 5.4-liter V-8 to 5.8 liters (351 cubic inches).

I remember (just) the last time we had a power war between the big boys. Supercar scare that killed the XU2 and Phase 4...
    Hopefully there will be no more sensationalism (there's those 'ism's again ) and it kills the performance/enthusiast market.

jaykay is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 09-04-2021 @ 12:41 PM

I can smell a 5.8 litre GTHO send off car from Ford / FPV.........

Marco is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 12-07-2017 @ 05:41 PM

Why, has one caught fire in your street?
    2007 VE SS M6 - Ignition
    2013 JH Cruze SRi M6 - Redhot
    1971 VW Super Beetle - Moss Green

Marco, so cruel!!! Reckon there's more chance of seeing a Brontosaurus in the street in the next 3 years than a new model 5.8L Falcon GTHO...

I still stand by everything I wrote in the below thread regarding the idea of a 2015 RHD Mustang. Still haven't actually come across anything to prove that a RHD Mustang is going to be built.

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...2014-Australia

Mind you, I wish it is going to be built RHD because it will vastly improve the chances of us getting a RHD Camaro.

Cheers, Matthew
    I spent most of my money on unreliable cars and less reliable women, the rest I wasted.
    W.C. Fields

Looks like the next top line Mustang will ditch the supercharger and will be a 5.2L atmo V8.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...n/#more-491589

Cheers, Matthew
    I spent most of my money on unreliable cars and less reliable women, the rest I wasted.
    W.C. Fields

itsme4g63 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 18-09-2014 @ 01:02 AM

So no more 660hp stock

Ausmartin1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 24-08-2021 @ 08:29 PM

Makes me wonder what the price will be like ?
    Example:

Nissan 370Z Roadster $84K AUD here - same car with steering on wrong side for Australia & Japan and shipped further from Japan to US .... 46K USD say 49AUD
    Why are Australians paying 38K more? The Cars technology is not worthy of 84K, 49 maybe - but that's the equivalent of what Yanks pay..

I wonder how Ford will financially do us over when the Mustang finally lands at the fewer Australian Ford dealers near you in the future ... I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by itsme4g63 View Post
    So no more 660hp stock
    Judging by the comment in the article about it being more track focused I wonder if the top line Mustang will be more a competitor with the Camaro Z-28, which is a dry sumped 500hp LS7 with all kinds of track day goodies. Not so much the ZL1 wet sumped LSA.

Cheers, Matthew
    W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Jag530G View Post
    Judging by the comment in the article about it being more track focused I wonder if the top line Mustang will be more a competitor with the Camaro Z-28, which is a dry sumped 500hp LS7 with all kinds of track day goodies. Not so much the ZL1 wet sumped LSA.

Cheers, Matthew
    Yeah but, the only reason they brought the z28 is because the mustang had the laguna seca track focused models with 444hp. GM did their best to overkill that by dropping in a factory crate engine with some borrowed suspension mods and reduce the weight a bit and charging double the standard SS camaro price. The gt500 was just the all out beast, powerhouse.

Pickles is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 08:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ausmartin1 View Post
    Makes me wonder what the price will be like ?
    Example:

Nissan 370Z Roadster $84K AUD here - same car with steering on wrong side for Australia & Japan and shipped further from Japan to US .... 46K USD say 49AUD
    Why are Australians paying 38K more? The Cars technology is not worthy of 84K, 49 maybe - but that's the equivalent of what Yanks pay..

I wonder how Ford will financially do us over when the Mustang finally lands at the fewer Australian Ford dealers near you in the future ... I wonder...
    Nothing unusual in that my friend.
    Try U.S. $80K for a new C63 over in the good old USA......try at least $160+ on the road over here, in good old Aus?
    Cheers, Pickles.

farkford is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 31-07-2015 @ 06:40 AM

$50-80K in the USA you have so many choices even imported cars

... farkford

blackvussii is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 16-05-2023 @ 09:01 AM

Quote Originally Posted by itsme4g63 View Post
    Yeah but, the only reason they brought the z28 is because the mustang had the laguna seca track focused models with 444hp. GM did their best to overkill that by dropping in a factory crate engine with some borrowed suspension mods and reduce the weight a bit and charging double the standard SS camaro price. The gt500 was just the all out beast, powerhouse.
    487kw for 55k, serious power for the money

Quote Originally Posted by blackvussii View Post
    487kw for 55k, serious power for the money
    aye, I don't know if I can justify buying one, but supposedly its the higher horsepower production v8 powered car in the world. I wonder how the 2012 buyers felt when they found out 2013 gt500 will have so much more power/changes....

sjhugh is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 19-05-2023 @ 11:52 PM

Powerful production cars.

I don’t know how actuate this is but is makes for good viewing.

Some great photos. Go to the bottom of the page and check out the individual manufacturers.

http://www.topcarrating.com/power.php

Thread Information