Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holden to be built with fewer Australian components, so much for the 24,000 workers.

XUV is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 29-08-2023 @ 05:07 PM

Holden to be built with fewer Australian components, so much for the 24,000 workers.

http://www.news.com.au/business/comp...-1226772530292

THE cars Holden plans to build with more than $275 million in government assistance will be less Australian than a Toyota Camry, new documents reveal.The local content of the latest Holden Commodore has already dropped to 50 per cent, while less than one-third of the Cruze small car is made from Australian-sourced components, even though Holden has received $1.8 billion in government assistance in the past 12 years.

In comparison, the local content of the Toyota Camry and Ford Falcon sedans are 70 per cent, according to figures supplied by the makers.
    If that their plan , to take our tax money and spend it over seas , then it should die .

Re: Holden to be built with fewer Australian components, so much for the 24,000 worke

toyota more 'australian'! crikey

agree XUV

lmoengnr is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:46 AM

Re: Holden to be built with fewer Australian components, so much for the 24,000 worke

More Joshua Dowling dribble................

XUV is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 29-08-2023 @ 05:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by lmoengnr View Post
    More Joshua Dowling dribble................
    obviously you have a low disregard for him, but, Who's joshua dowling??

Quote Originally Posted by XUV View Post
    \motoring writer and radio guest

Marco is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 12-07-2017 @ 05:41 PM

Quote Originally Posted by XUV View Post
    A News Limited article author whose starting point on anything involving the Australian car industry is "doom, gloom, everyone's about to close" and writes accordingly. If the Holden cafeteria forgot to put its order through for cupcakes one afternoon, he'd write an article pointing to this as absolute proof that the factory is going to shut down as soon as the current supply of cupcakes runs out.
    2007 VE SS M6 - Ignition
    2013 JH Cruze SRi M6 - Redhot
    1971 VW Super Beetle - Moss Green

Jac001 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 01-10-2022 @ 08:39 AM

I don't recall all that many people complaining when Holden starting buying v8's from overseas....

If that their plan , to take our tax money and spend it over seas , then it should die .[/QUOTE]

Didn't the VE have barely more than 50% local content? Probably the last very high Australian content Holden would have been the VT series 1 5.0L 5 speed manual. Considering how high the AUD has been I hardly blame Holden for buying more parts overseas. Plus it becomes a vicious circle, as volumes drop for local parts makers, their unit price goes up and they become even more uncompetitive. With Ford going, even if Holden stays, there will be even less Australian componentry being used. A good guide for the future of our component industry is look at the Cruze. If the Malibu or Impala gets built here then it will be a glorified CKD car, so very little componentry will be Australian.

Cheers, Matthew
    I spent most of my money on unreliable cars and less reliable women, the rest I wasted.
    W.C. Fields

Evman is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 11-12-2016 @ 11:07 AM

Maybe we should sell more brands here. That'll help the Australian car industry.

VYBerlinaV8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 15-05-2023 @ 03:09 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jac001 View Post
    I don't recall all that many people complaining when Holden starting buying v8's from overseas....
    Of course not...

C4B is offline C4B Last Online: 19-03-2024 @ 03:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by VYBerlinaV8 View Post
    Of course not...
    People have very short memories.....

When they announced the death of the Aussie V8 there was heaps of negativity. I remember when the LS1 SS was first released it got bagged for being doughy till it got up in the revs and sounded crap compared to the Aussie V8.

It wasn't until LS1EDIT came out that people started to accept it as better than the Aussie V8.

Quote Originally Posted by C4B View Post
    People have very short memories.....

When they announced the death of the Aussie V8 there was heaps of negativity. I remember when the LS1 SS was first released it got bagged for being doughy till it got up in the revs and sounded crap compared to the Aussie V8..
    Have to admit I was one such person. I was sad to see the Australian designed V8 go, especially after reading that in the early 90s Holden had developed prototype SOHC 3 valve heads for the 304 and it was making well north of 220kw in a rough state of tune. (compared with 165kw for the OHV 2 valve heads).

The other thing that always got me is why they never did a parts bin special, bolting the Group A twin throttle body onto a HRT blue printed 5.7L motor. The standard blueprinted 5.7 was around 230kw and the weak link seemed to be the bunch-of-bananas inlet manifold strangling the engine. Just imagine what the Group A manifold could have done for it.

You're dead right about the sound. Don't here to many "Holden" V8s on the road nowadays, but they do sound better.

Cheers, Matthew
    I spent most of my money on unreliable cars and less reliable women, the rest I wasted.
    W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Jac001 View Post
    but they were from GM , hHoldens parent, and it was happenning way back in the 60-70's and probably should have continued,
    and wasn't there a story going around that we made the chev blocks here , sent them to there US , only to have them sold back to us.

If

bozodos is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 14-04-2022 @ 09:54 PM

I used to think they sounded better, but these days 5 litres just sound like boats or thong slappers. I thought all of the OHC experimental stuff had been canned quite a long time before the VT?

It was a wise move of GM to move the Holdens onto their global powertrain option in the V8, they should have done it with the VN IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bozodos View Post
    I used to think they sounded better, but these days 5 litres just sound like boats or thong slappers. I thought all of the OHC experimental stuff had been canned quite a long time before the VT?

It was a wise move of GM to move the Holdens onto their global powertrain option in the V8, they should have done it with the VN IMO.
    Yes, looking back it was good the VT2 went to the GM powertrain, better access to updates.

Don't agree that the VN should have gone to US V8s. Back in 1980s Chev V8s were underpowered heaps of sh!t. The Corvette L98 produced around 180Kw from a 5.7L V8. Holden were getting 165kw from a 5.0L. Even when the Chev 5.7L LT1 came out in 1994 it was only good for 224Kw and 460Nm, we had the 215Kw and 475Nm 5.7L Holden V8. It was only really with the LS1 that GM's US engines got significantly better than the Holden V8.

Cheers, Matthew
    W.C. Fields

Thread Information