Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Home Network/Server Infrastructure Gallery..

Re: The Home Network/Server Infrastructure Gallery..

Quote Originally Posted by Davothegreat View Post
    You'd be wise to utilise that swag of spare drives, otherwise if your array fails and manages to take the drives with it (think power spike or something) then you'll lose the lot.

That's what the UPS's and Line filters are for .. there is not on piece of electronic equipment in this house that is not connected to it's own or a shared UPS .. I had problems in my old condo as the power in Thailand is quite shitty .. The missus and I awoke to a loud bang at 6am one Saturday morning and something was awry with the power, 2 UPS's lost their magic smoke (oddly the 2 that had no load on them the other 2 were fine) and things were not feeling right .. then a power socket converter which had a small red "on" light in it burst into flames prompting quick action to put out the fire in the power socket as well as rapidly disconnect all electrical devices from the points and isolate the condo's power at the breaker .. once I was happy that there was nothing plugged into the power outlets in the entire condo I switched the breaker back on and investigated... I found some outlets were measuring 120-145v and others were measuring 380-450v, I reckon someone dropped a phase on my circuit by accident ..

Anyway I tried to explain to the Landlord that he would have to pay to repair any damaged equipment but that was like pushing poo up a popsicle stick with a needle, she tried to blame it on the electricity authority. I had also shown a building maintenance guy the voltage measurements on my multimeter when it happened hoping to have some proof/backup for when the electrician for the condo complex arrived.. Had to wait for 2-3hours for the electrician so went back to bed and when we woke up 3 hours later I checked the outlets again and mysteriously everything was back to "normal" I was pissed off!!

Resulting damage ended up being,
    - Every single plug-pack power transformer/charger in the house which was not plugged in behind a UPS or surge protector no longer worked..
    - Microwave go boom..trashed
    - 1 NEC 15" LCD Monitor ... no magic smoke left ..
    - 2x 1500VA UPS's also ran out of magic smoke..
    - The 52" Samsung Series 7 LCD TV just clicked when and nothing else when turned on ... ended up being a fried Inputs Board and was repairable ..
    - Almost lost the Fridge as it was shaking like there was someone in it but I managed to pull the plug on it before the compressor or something else went kapow..

The TV was plugged into a UPS but what killed it was the cable box which was plugged into the TV was not behind the UPS so what happened is it blew the hell out of the Inputs Board in the TV ..

There were a few other things that fried that I can't think of right now but ended up being around $2k AUD equivalent in damage/replacements.. So not bad considering and the UPS's did their jobs!!
    Net Handles - Sidewindr, Zaphod
    --
    2001 - Toyota Landcruiser (HDJ100R, 1HD-FTE)

Plenty is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 15-04-2017 @ 06:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by QldKev View Post
    I'm going to replace my Netcomm nb6plus4wn router, and chasing recommendations.

I'll try and list everything about this one
    I can connect at 22.6mb on ADSL 2+, stats below (you will see it dropped whilst typing this message). I'm on a RIM.
    The ADSL connection drops out randomly. Some days it will drop multiple times, other days it's ok. This is the main issue why I'm looking at replacing it.
    If I plug a double adapter into the pone line and run a second phone drop outs become worse.
    At random times I cannot even connect to the routers interface, even using cat6. The interface often is very slow to navigate if wireless uses are connected.
    Samsung TV and home cinema will not connect to it wireless. They did connect for about a month and no longer talk to it. I've tried re-entering the passkey etc.
    We can have 4 mobile phones and a laptop connected, but sometimes it randomly refuses to let one of them on.
    We have a few pcs connected via cat6. Most are hiding behind a gigabit switch.
    We have a ps3 connected via cat6 as it is very slow via wireless.
    We do have a reasonable amount of downloading/gaming. (1tb allowance per month)
    We have a laptop connected via a 20m cat6 that sometimes won't work on the internet with no errors.

What would be a good router to set and forget for me? No specific budget, just something that will work reliably and give decent internet speeds.

I see above the netgear D6200, but I'd be happy to grab the D6300 to get the bonus of usb ports for an external hard drive for backups. I'm not limiting any decision to any brand.

DSL Line Status

Current DSL line status is displayed as the below.

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
    Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:00:02:23
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 6

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 23031 Kbps 1020 Kbps
    Attainable Line Rate 24744 Kbps 1163 Kbps
    Noise Margin 6.5 dB 9.3 dB
    Line Attenuation 22.5 dB 12.3 dB
    Output Power 18.0 dBm 12.3 dBm
    ASUS RT-AC68U great AC router you'll just need to use your ADSL modem in the WAN port.

QldKev is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 07-06-2020 @ 10:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Plenty View Post
    ASUS RT-AC68U great AC router you'll just need to use your ADSL modem in the WAN port.
    I must not have been clear in the issue why I'm after a replacement.

"The ADSL connection drops out randomly. Some days it will drop multiple times, other days it's ok. This is the main issue why I'm looking at replacing it."

So the key to the replacement is the ADSL line dropping all the time. Secondary is the wireless connections.

From my googl'ing today I'm looking at
    Billion BP7800NXL $149
    Billion BP7800VDPX $205
    Billion BP7800VDOX $230

C4B is offline C4B Last Online: 19-03-2024 @ 03:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Spicymouse View Post
    Have you tried increasing the line filtering? Some isp's have a function to increase and decrease the noise filtering.. I know Telstra does.. higher the noise filtering the more stable the connection but at the sacrifice of speed and ping..
    They all do.

We just had a client cut over to SNR15 because of line issues.

bert02 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 17-11-2021 @ 07:04 PM

The HTPC/server/Nas/etc etc HP40nl upgraded 2Gb > 4Gb of genuine ECC ram as all other ram caused problems. except the actual genuine sticks that come with it .
    runs 24/7, hosts all my media on it. Basically does everything. Its running win7 64 bit. i think 10TB storage. (no backups but i do have some external drives i periodically backup to)
    stationed in the lounge room as main HTPC connected to a logitech 650 remote

Adsl2 modem with Buffalo Router running DD-WRT and a 5 port Gigabit switch
    Modem is parents old DG834v3 and Router is something i bought for another purpose and now just use it for its superior features, UPnP, VPN, static ip's, gotta love DD-WRT. only thing i cant seem to do is setup dual SSID for guests as it breaks everything when i set it up.
    also my solar RS232 converter to ethernet

RaspberryPI B+ running Openelec for bedroom accessing SQL library for XBMC (sub $100 including all cables etc)
    using old 5.1 dvd surround sound unit for sound

my old RaspberryPI B running Openelec for outside area accessing SQL library for XBMC (sub $100 including all cables etc)
    using old cd player for sound
    using old plasma tv since i had to upgrade as the plasma was affecting my internet connecting where it was in the bedroom

Basically running everything with as much old stuff as i had laying around which is why the PI works best as it has analog audio out and for sub $100 cant complain with the price either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewindr View Post
    I simply use samba shares for TV/Movies etc .. and each TV and Stereo has a small form factor not too expensive (around $800) PC as a Home Theatre PC. I have an Acer Aspire X5900 connected to the living room TV and 7.1 HiFi via HDMI and optical and slightly cheaper Acer Aspire X3950 connected to the TV in the bedroom via HDMI. Both have their own Logitech K400R keyboard w/ integrated touch pad and dual boot Windows 7 and XBMC ... Check out XBMC if you want a catalogued media interface, you can run it as an application under windows like Windows Media Centre or as a linux boot dedicated appliance .. All my media is simply stored on samba shares under directories and XBMC does a wonderful job with both movies and TV shows..

FORGET TRANSCODING and DLNA TWONKY ETC .. My Sammy TV is a series 7 and has a built in media player with DLNA support and it is pathetic compared to the HTPC ...

Next telly I buy will have a very HQ display and as few expense adding frills like network/internet/DLNA/media player built into it, a HTPC is a far better and more flexible option especially when it comes to codec support and compatibility.
    i used to use an lg media station with a 1TB my book nas and DLNA but for some reason DLNA always looked crap quality and using samba shares it looked way better.

all my media is stored as samba shares and use mysql for xbmc to tie it all together so i can play in 1 room and resume in the other,all watched items show the same on each.

i use my android phone with yatzee for my xbmc remotes and anymote to control the tv and sound but also have a wireless keyboard with trackball but dont need to use it for the PI's
    only downside to the pi is its not like windows where i can do alot of other stuff. but that can be done on the HPTC, our pc or our phones so not a big issue.

good luck finding "a very HQ display and as few expense adding frills like network/internet/DLNA/media player built into it"also smart, 3D
    those are things that dont cost them much more for them but can charge a premium for. i had to buy a tv with that as it there was no other option to buy without other than the cheaper brands. HTPC > Smart tv any day of the week

Quote Originally Posted by QldKev View Post
    I'm going to replace my Netcomm nb6plus4wn router, and chasing recommendations.

I'll try and list everything about this one
    I can connect at 22.6mb on ADSL 2+, stats below (you will see it dropped whilst typing this message). I'm on a RIM.
    The ADSL connection drops out randomly. Some days it will drop multiple times, other days it's ok. This is the main issue why I'm looking at replacing it.
    If I plug a double adapter into the pone line and run a second phone drop outs become worse.
    At random times I cannot even connect to the routers interface, even using cat6. The interface often is very slow to navigate if wireless uses are connected.
    Samsung TV and home cinema will not connect to it wireless. They did connect for about a month and no longer talk to it. I've tried re-entering the passkey etc.
    We can have 4 mobile phones and a laptop connected, but sometimes it randomly refuses to let one of them on.
    We have a few pcs connected via cat6. Most are hiding behind a gigabit switch.
    We have a ps3 connected via cat6 as it is very slow via wireless.
    We do have a reasonable amount of downloading/gaming. (1tb allowance per month)
    We have a laptop connected via a 20m cat6 that sometimes won't work on the internet with no errors.

What would be a good router to set and forget for me? No specific budget, just something that will work reliably and give decent internet speeds.

I see above the netgear D6200, but I'd be happy to grab the D6300 to get the bonus of usb ports for an external hard drive for backups. I'm not limiting any decision to any brand.

DSL Line Status

Current DSL line status is displayed as the below.

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
    Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:00:02:23
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 6

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 23031 Kbps 1020 Kbps
    Attainable Line Rate 24744 Kbps 1163 Kbps
    Noise Margin 6.5 dB 9.3 dB
    Line Attenuation 22.5 dB 12.3 dB
    Output Power 18.0 dBm 12.3 dBm
    your SNR and Line Attenuation stats look way better than mine and i get a constant 1.1MB/s download im also on the 'Fastest' line filtering option - ie no line filtering with no dropouts.

If I plug a double adapter into the phone line and run a second phone drop outs become worse.
    im thinking either you have a dodgy phone point or maybe water in a connection somewhere.
    do you have a line filter going into the modem and phones?

how many phone points are in the house?
    are you using the first one?
    have you tried the others?
    Last edited by bert02; 06-01-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Thread Information