Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Blown SS Refresh

XUV is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 29-08-2023 @ 05:07 PM

Re: Project Blown SS Refresh

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    LOL@ putting the Spanner down for 5 seconds.....

pass...
    ------------
    Today End!

It wasn't going to win...

Someone went NUTS with cable ties.....

Tear down tomorrow then off to the machine shop.

so why arn't we 'just' dropping/bolting this into the CX8?

FrangaFry is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 07:19 PM

Quote Originally Posted by XUV View Post
    Good question; Ian ran this by me some time back.......

The CX8, looks good'ish on the outside, but the inside not so much..... I know it's rather shallow and a little vain, but that's about all i've got ........... Swapping the interiors over just isn't an option either.

Honestly, I did spend some time thinking about the what if's of that and a few other 'options' but end of the day, it's my SS that I want to drive (brakes, suspension, steering rack, sun roof, interior, alarm, stereo, some dynomatting, camera etc etc have already been done to the SS; So i'd have to start all over again - wife ain't gunna let that happen).

In my mind (once I realised I couldn't do the AWD conversion - due to funds), I had 2 goals and anything else was/is a bonus.

I'm 'pretty' happy with the 350rwk I have (sure, could always have more) , but, it's the 'getting it down' bit and longevity (as much as I can) that I wanted out of this process.

I think with the funds I have and some of the issues that Ian may come across are going to make even my original goals 'maybe' harder to achieve than I thought (god, if you only knew some of the 'pie in the sky' stuff I was originally 'dreaming' of over the last few months - bloody internet .....).

Reality has now kicked in Hahahahaha.....

XUV is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 29-08-2023 @ 05:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by FrangaFry View Post

The CX8, looks good'ish on the outside, but the inside not so much..... I know it's rather shallow and a little vain, but that's about all i've got ........... Swapping the interiors over just isn't an option either.

yes, but you has child now, they destroy interiors , hence uncle Tom's reluctance to let little Tarquin in his cruze
    this is in store for your interior

yes, but you has child now, they destroy interiors , hence uncle Tom's reluctance to let little Tarquin in his cruze this is in store for your interior
    Hahahaha, this WAS the reason I wanted leather in the first place (spew, coke and dog dribble clean up real well on leather) .......... SS has managed to make it through 1 little girl and 2 large dogs for the last 9 years without too much damage, so I figure it can take 1 more feral child ............. cattle prod helps too (Shhhhhhhhh *wink*)

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Hate to tell you mate once IJ tears that LS down & finds what he does there's a reasonable chance you'll end up stroking it!

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Hate to tell you mate once IJ tears that LS down & finds what he does there's a reasonable chance you'll end up stroking it!
    LOL, this was one of those 'pie in the sky' thoughts I had initially ........ Bzzzzzzzzzz (even if I had the dosh, blowers too small, pipes too restrictive, valve train, tranny and fuel would probably need big upgrades etc etc etc ...........) Wife would first burn the car then shoot or leave me ............... but, having said that, IJ does seem to have magical type abilities ..... *wink*

IJ. is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-08-2018 @ 01:19 PM

Quote Originally Posted by RED R8 View Post
    I would start by putting the blower on the right way......Its back to front, looks like it will just create a blown transmission...Ok I'm joking, looking forward to following this thread.
    LOL for real

Honestly, I did spend some time thinking about the what if's of that and a few other 'options' but end of the day, it's my SS that I want to drive (brakes, suspension, steering rack, sun roof, interior, alarm, stereo, some dynomatting, camera etc etc have already been done to the SS; So i'd have to start all over again - wife ain't gunna let that happen).

In my mind (once I realised I couldn't do the AWD conversion - due to funds), I had 2 goals and anything else was/is a bonus.

I'm 'pretty' happy with the 350rwk I have (sure, could always have more) , but, it's the 'getting it down' bit and longevity (as much as I can) that I wanted out of this process.

I think with the funds I have and some of the issues that Ian may come across are going to make even my original goals 'maybe' harder to achieve than I thought (god, if you only knew some of the 'pie in the sky' stuff I was originally 'dreaming' of over the last few months - bloody internet .....).

You know my thoughts on this

Surprisingly MUCH better than expected!
    ------------
    Today End!

All set for the machine shop tomorrow!

Few external niggles pulling it down, Can tell it's had a pampered life by the internals, the Oil Filter has gone into bypass at some stage and flushed some crap through the bearings but nothing too drastic!

This is goooooood!

IJ. is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-08-2018 @ 01:19 PM

This is goooooood!
    Yep Crank is good, bores still have some crosshatch in them so not a lot of wear!

Cam is a bit tired and I'd be fitting new Lifters along with a blower friendly cam.

How's the mains? So just Cam, Lifters, Oil pump then?

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 09:41 PM

Cam is a bit tired and I'd be fitting new Lifters along with a blower friendly cam.
    I thought Carlton only had the new cam changed recently?
    Why is it tired after such a short time?
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 09-06-2015 at 07:52 PM.

How's the mains? So just Cam, Lifters, Oil pump then?
    Mains were a bit grotty but the crank is fine, I'll hand it off to my machine shop and get them to inspect everything then go from there, at this point I'm thinking bore and pistons polish the crank and some Good bearings, maybe an LS9 Cam and some Tie Bar lifters and a balance, reco the heads and throw some springs at it.

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    I thought Carlton only had the new cam changed recently?
    Dunno... if he did I wouldn't be happy about the trenches in the lobes...
    (pretty sure the heads have never been off)

Mains were a bit grotty but the crank is fine, I'll hand it off to my machine shop and get them to inspect everything then go from there, at this point I'm thinking bore and pistons polish the crank and some Good bearings, maybe an LS9 Cam and some Tie Bar lifters and a balance, reco the heads and throw some springs at it.

What chain & pump will be used or reusing the existing ones?

What chain & pump will be used or reusing the existing ones?
    Pretty sure there's an L98 Pump in one of the boxes and a new timing set as the stock chain is doing the VVT thing

Pretty sure there's an L98 Pump in one of the boxes and a new timing set as the stock chain is doing the VVT thing
    Yeah, amongst some other odds and ends, there's a Moroso HP Oil pump, ARP main stud kit, LS2 timing chain/kit (although I think I stuffed the damper up...)

*Sad Face* ........ yep cam was done not that long ago (same as the Wb/O2 sensor ..... *sigh* ........ wasn't cheap either), bugger, the cam was the one thing I was hoping to get some more life out of ........... *sigh*

Oh well, onwards and upwards ...............

Thread Information