Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Blown SS Refresh

IJ. is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-08-2018 @ 01:19 PM

Re: Project Blown SS Refresh

Today!
    On closer inspection the Cam doesn't look as bad and should be useable!

Loaded up and heading off to Melbourne now, found a good way to load a block onto the Tonner, backed it onto the apron outside the shed then wheeled the engine stand so the block is over the tray then raised the rear suspension

FrangaFry is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 08:28 PM

Quote Originally Posted by IJ. View Post
    Today!
    On closer inspection the Cam doesn't look as bad and should be useable!

Loaded up and heading off to Melbourne now, found a good way to load a block onto the Tonner, backed it onto the apron outside the shed then wheeled the engine stand so the block is over the tray then raised the rear suspension
    WooHoo, the bullet train is at full speed by the look of it *wink* and the Wizard is doing his wizardly thing ............. Love it!

Next stop, Tranny Town! Hahahaha (Hmmm, that doesn't sound great eh?) - Very interested to see the state of the tranny though given the number of attempts that have already taken place on it....... here's hoping this one was done correctly and what is in it, is what I was led to believe (I have already discovered that some tranny mounting bolts were 'left out' when it was last dropped and re fitted due to them being in a 'difficult' location .... *sigh*).

Oh well, Onwards and Upwards....

Great stuff IJ,

IJ. is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-08-2018 @ 01:19 PM

LOL@ TT.... Wrongtown more like it

--------
    Today!
    Stopped in at Harrops and had a chat about Cams to Julian, Had to pick up a replacement Button head capscrew to replace one I had to drill out on the valley cover, could have used a generic one but figured while I was there...

Dropped the major parts at the machine shop and caught up with the crew, been awhile since I've been over there!

On the way back rang my Bud at Precision and arranged Pistons and Rods!

Smashfist is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 09-12-2019 @ 10:00 PM

There's no way I'd do a cam without new lifters at the same time. You have to bed the lifters into the cam and swapping one without the other WILL give accelerated wear of one or the other. Too many people do a half-arse job and slap a cam in with tired/dirty old lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashfist View Post
    There's no way I'd do a cam without new lifters at the same time. You have to bed the lifters into the cam and swapping one without the other WILL give accelerated wear of one or the other. Too many people do a half-arse job and slap a cam in with tired/dirty old lifters.
    Roller cams are a lot more forgiving Smashy but still it's NOT something I'd do, not with 200,000 Km old lifters...

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Very sound advice, I bet there a phenomenal amount of LS motors running around having just their sticks pulled & little else done to the engine!

Smashfist is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 09-12-2019 @ 10:00 PM

Roller cams are a lot more forgiving Smashy but still it's NOT something I'd do, not with 200,000 Km old lifters...
    Much more forgiving for sure and if it was a newish motor then MAYBE you might get away with it but for the price of lifters, some gaskets and head bolts, do it once, do it right. I'll probably be lucky to have 20,000km on my L77 when I'm ready to do the cam but heads are still coming off to do cam + lifters.

Handy tidbit: GM's own service manual stipulates that if a cam is replaced then ALL lifters get replaced with it.

Much more forgiving for sure and if it was a newish motor then MAYBE you might get away with it but for the price of lifters, some gaskets and head bolts, do it once, do it right. I'll probably be lucky to have 20,000km on my L77 when I'm ready to do the cam but heads are still coming off to do cam + lifters.

Handy tidbit: GM's own service manual stipulates that if a cam is replaced then ALL lifters get replaced with it.
    Agreed, I personally wouldn't do it but I can see why it's a temptation for others....
    -------------
    Today End!

Put the Front end back in just in case I need the Hoist for anything else while I'm waiting on parts, sanded the front hubs so I can get the wheels on/off without a hammer..

Stripped the Trans down, no rude surprises other than a few things it was meant to be in there have been half assed and of course the 3/4 pack is fairly rooted but that's been the case in 99% of the 60's I've pulled down.

jc_sv8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 10:59 PM

Hey IJ, great work! Can you put up a pick of the old 3-4 pack, vs the new/recon one when you get it.
    Thanks! A good thing for us novices to look out for.

--JC

Quote Originally Posted by jc_sv8 View Post
    Hey IJ, great work! Can you put up a pick of the old 3-4 pack, vs the new/recon one when you get it.
    Thanks! A good thing for us novices to look out for.

--JC
    Will do, they're just worn out/coned, the new pack will be a Raybestos ZPak they're a bit different in that each disc is steel one side friction the other to prevent them coning through heat, been running them in the 3 or 4 previous builds with good results, I'll also be throwing a pair of 5 Pinion planetary gear sets into it while it's down along with all new frictions and a shift kit.

As usual very thorough IJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Thanks Mick, crossing t's and dotting i's, too many things on this have been half assed in the past I'll do my best.

FrangaFry is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 08:28 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    +1 to that!

Man, you don't mess around ........... super impressed with the progress and the updates

Quote Originally Posted by FrangaFry View Post
    +1 to that!

Man, you don't mess around ........... super impressed with the progress and the updates
    Very welcome Carlton, it's become part of the process

Thanks Mick, crossing t's and dotting i's, too many things on this have been half assed in the past I'll do my best.
    Know well you don't 2nd guess anything like some in the game do..
    More importantly secure it, you don't need any more battle scars mate

Thread Information