Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: VF GTS Wagon

VTClubSprtR8 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 06-11-2015 @ 09:19 PM

Re: VF GTS Wagon

Smashfist and Plenty are correct in that using any non Wedge Laminated windscreen in a HUD featured model vehicle will cause the HUD image to "ghost".

The difference is in the way the two layers of glass are laminated or "glued" together. The distance between the two layers of glass increases from the bottom to the top across the entire surface to correct the angle of the HUD image when it shines through the two layers of glass.

It's good the screen wasn't taken out in the smash Cobalt.
    Windscreen aperture and roof profile are same from VE to VF.

Smashfist is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 09-12-2019 @ 10:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by VRIIClubby View Post
    How many people take their car to the dealer to get a windscreen replaced?
    Happens more often than you'd think. I do a few screens a week through my service department. That's not to say that O'Briens can't order a genuine screen from their local dealer too.

VRIIClubby is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 28-10-2015 @ 09:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by QIKMIK View Post
    Wondering if the HUD and screen were fitted in a case like this whether your insurance would stretch for a new HUD-enabled screen as your "free windscreen per year" replacement?

Mick
    NRMA do (currently). I just had mine replaced last week in the tourer.
    Last edited by VRIIClubby; 05-09-2015 at 06:17 PM.

QIKMIK is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 16-03-2024 @ 12:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by VRIIClubby View Post
    NRMA do (currently). I just had mine replaced last week in the tourer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt
    Toyota LC Sahara is Acoustic Glass and is 2K+. Insurance stumped up for a genuine replacement for the freebie.....
    I was thinking more along the lines of this particular car i.e. it having been coverted from something else into a vehicle that requires a HUD-compatible screen, would they cover that? Probably wouldn't care to ask, I'm guessing.

Mick
    The Taxi - MY09 Senator Signature
    The Workhorse - VZ One Tonner
    The Daily - Kawasaki ZX-10R

Cool Re: VF GTS Wagon

If it says hud on the screen that is broken then they have to replace it with the same screen....

It will be insured with shannons and i suspect they will want to inspect it when i want to cover it for 80k as a 2008 ve omega

Chad

So spent some time at the toy shop today and layed the sedan harness out on the floor to work out what I have to change.

I decided to get the vf ssv wagon harness out and see the differences. 8 hours later and its out... Have to gut the entire inside and engine bay to get it out.

The two computers (keyless go and parking) that are on the parcel shelf in the sedan are in the back of the wagon. The parking computer is behind the rear fuse pane and the keyless go is in the right quarter panel where the sedan amplifier is. The ssv doesnt have the bose stereo so there is no amplifier in it. Dont know where they would out it in the wagon...

There is a massive difference between the harnesses.

I'm going to use the wagon main harnes and the sedan dash harness. I will strip the sedan main harness and add the mrc/bose/edi/etc to the wagon harness. This is not going to be a trivial task like it has been with the previous conversions. The fuese boxes are the same which is awesome as the sedan rear fuse box was damaged and i can swap it with the wagon one.

I'm going to run an aftermarket audio processor and amps which ditches the bose system and associated hardware. I will still add the full bose wiring to the wagon harness so i can put it in if i sell it without my aftermarket gear in the future.

I have go find somewhere to put the mrc computer. the current candidate is the same spot that it is in the sedan (left rear quarter) but will have to make a custom bracket. There are alot of wires for that and a large connector.

Seems all the other computer are the same and the edi mounted in the dash so that is the only onther obne not in the ssv that will be fine in the stock location.

The GTS was fitted with a sunroof so If the donor car has one i'll fit it but not critical and I rekon a wagon with a sunroof would be pretty rare especially in an low spec car im looking for. If the donor has no sunroof i will strip ann the relevant wire out of the sedan main harness and the dash harness just because it will be apart and I'm a little OCD like that.....

I intend to bench test the full harness before installing it in the car to ensure no errors but while the conversion will be time consuming ...one wire at a time... its not that complex.

I did something similar as this with a mazda 3 sp25 that I bought for my wife that was super cheap at the auctions. It was missing some of the creature comforts she was used to in her old clubby r8 (i was sick of spending $200 a week in fuel for her to drive to work and she actually prefers a small car now...) I found a donor sp23 with keyless-go bose stereo auto wipers and leather seats. So I stripped both cars and upgraded it. Only problem was then new car was a series II and hers was a series one. Mazda change wiring between series but used the same connectors. So the engine harness from the series one plugs in but does not work with the series ii main harness.... 500 wiring changes later I had them talking and all the bugs sorted and working.... Was a mission but at least these two harness are from the same 2014 vf models and should be plug compatible.

I will take some photos of this progress next week when I have them layed out next to each other.

The ssv has a flex fuel sensor and im contemplating integrating that in to the system even if i dont use it initially. Not sure why they decided not to use flex but suspect that the fuel flow required cannot be supported by the pumps/lines. Won't hurt to wire it in even if it is never used. The ecu has the capability to use it so we will see....

I'm chaffing at the bit to get a donor shell but will wait till the right one comes up. Have three candidates in the wind... hopefully have it sorted within the next two weeks as it needs to be stripped and sent to paint.

I want this car done by bathurst! Paint willing.

The dash in a vf is an absolute prick to get out as it has to be completely dismantled to get it out. It is assembled out of the car and installed with the windscreen out and there is a bolt that cannot be accessed when the screen is installed without dismantling the dash. It is and order of magnitude more trouble that a the vy/vz's i have done in the past and the mazda is a dream compared to it. really is just bad design but it works so whateva... There are some brilliand thing they have improved and made it very modular but they have missed some places theyreally should have use connectors to split it up and I will add deutsch connectors where they have missed them to simply reduce cost.

I'm going to sound deaden the wheel arches with lizard skin and dynamat the car from front to firewall as other GTS's ive been in are a little noisy and weight/speed is not what this car is about and quiet/daily driver is where this is at.

The vacuum line for the bimodal in the 2014 runs through the rocker panel and is installed like that for ease at the hsv factory. I'm going to look at upgrading that to electric system in the 2015 but will see how that goes.

I have also found that Motorama Holde do a paddle shift upgrade to 2015 spec for $465 which includes a new steering wheel so I will be doing that just because.

I relly want the gts rear bar combined with the wagon as I hate how HSV leave the tourer basicall stock in the rear... So I'm looking at grafting the top of the wagon bar to the bottom of the gst bar. I also need to have a towbar so I want to modify the bottom of the GTS bar to make work with a towbar but not look fugly when the towbar is not attached. Will make a cover of some desc. that will fit to the towbar rec. or make a flat toungue style towbar that is under the rear bar....

If you read all that then congrats ...... I'm trying to put my thoughts and work down for my reference and future ref fo anyone else who is looking at some or all of this work.....

Cheers

Chad
    Last edited by Cobalt; 05-09-2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Typo

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Well done Chad, you certainly haven't wasted any time on this mammoth rebuild.

Having a potential VF GTS to drive is good motivation. I am already building it in my head one bolt at a time.

Woodchukka is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 29-05-2019 @ 02:24 PM

I read it all. It was a good read. Thanks for putting the time in to write it.

dgp is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 03-11-2023 @ 06:06 AM

Wow this is really impressive Chad, I'm looking forward to reading about your build.

Soooo..... Todays new problems.

WIRING IS A NIGHTMARE!

I have stripped the sedan harness of all it's tape/fabric/plastic.. It took the time it takes to watch the f1 gp in Italy plus the tyre pressure saga so finished up about 2:30am.

Every system in the wsiring harness is tangled with the can bus wires jumping from module to module. Very hard to separate

The plugs are quite easy to work with mostly but it is time consuming extracting the mrc/bose sub systems.

I'm taking photos of all the plugs for reference and doing up a spread sheet with all the pinouts. Time consuming and painful.

It will work just gonna take time.,.... lots of it

The firewall and dash mounting system for the ve is far different to the vf.. This is creating problems.

I have not bought a VE Wagon donor yet so I have two choices

Buy a VF Wagon for 20,000 maybe get 3-5k back for parts I don't need or Cut the structure out of the VF Shell I have and graft it to a VE shell. The VE will cost $7500 and I'll get 2-3k back for bits I don't use.

My current thinking is you can make a lot of mods for the difference!

I'll post some photos showing how huge the differences are later after I put them all together
    Last edited by Cobalt; 07-09-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: typo

Strick is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 07-10-2022 @ 10:13 PM

If your on a deadline, getting the VF wagon would be the go. If your not to worried youve got the skill to go the cheaper option.

Great work so far though, alot of work

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Thanks Chad for your positive inspiration Has been lacking here of late. There's always plenty of knockers that will tell you your wasting your time..but not me

The good thing is it's my time and I get to choose how to spend it.....

The satisfaction of doing something that hasn't been done before is all I need. it is just a bonus. For me its just stress relief and I since I'm pretty much and insomniac what else have I got to do.

vf has no pedal plRe: VF GTS Wagon

The ve uses a big hole in the firewall with a pedal plate.
    This photo is a lhd firewall

The vf just has holes and an internal pedal unit.. with holes

Last edited by XLR8 V8; 31-08-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Thread Information