Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Errol’s VZ L76 Berlina Wagon

feistl is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 11-09-2018 @ 10:27 AM

Errol’s VZ L76 Berlina Wagon

Hey guys,

Thought I’d start a build thread for my new ride…

I setup a carsales alert 3+ years ago looking for a 2006 built VZ Berlina Wagon with the L76 6L V8 engine. As these are incredibly rare (there was just 11 VZ Wagons made with this engine combination, all of which are Berlina’s), I hadn’t seen a single (correctly) advertised one show up. Until Friday.

An alert appeared on Friday morning from a dealership in Dee Why in NSW (North of Sydney). I placed a call to a salesman a few hours later half expecting it to be another mis-listed LS1, but after a confirmation picture of the build plate and engine bay it turned out to be the real deal. Without having even seen a picture of the car I started negotiated with the salesman, 2 hours later I put down a deposit and started booking flights.

So here are the details…

• Holden VZ Berlina Wagon
    • March 2006 build date
    • L76 6.0L V8 engine and 4 speed automatic (4L65-E)
    • 70,349km (Single owner, full service history).
    • Only modifications are a set of HPC coated Pacemaker extractors, everything else is 100% stock.

Originally listed as $12000, I got it for $11250 with a full tank of fuel.

Car was ready for collection on Wednesday morning (21st/09/2016), so I got up at 3:30am to get to the airport by 5am for a 6am flight to Sydney. Caught a train and 2 buses out to the Dee Why and after a 20 minute walk arrived at the dealership just before 10am. Spent 20 minutes filling in the paperwork and handed over a bank cheque, then the car was mine. Just as I was leaving one of the head salesman came over to chat about the car, apparently they’d had over a dozen calls and several offers since I put the deposit down. I don’t think he was overly happy they’d sold it too cheap, especially when I told him there are only 11 in existence and are pretty sought after lol. Anyway one of the few occasions a customer can get the better of a used car salesman.

So left the dealership at 10:30am and headed back to Melbourne. Along the way I took a detour into southern ACT and picked up a set of mint condition VE SS 19” wheels which had been machined to suit the VZ for just $550 (Bargain). They don’t have a single mark on them…

From there came back down through Cooma/Omeo/Barnsdale. Car drove brilliantly, no squeaks/rattles/noises etc, felt really tight and planted. The engine, even in stock form, is miles ahead of the LS1. Very smooth, lots of low down torque and revs nicely. The power assist brake setup works well, the transmission was brilliant (I hate autos, but this shifted very nicely) and it has a pretty nice note to it.

Got home at 9:30pm (1007km in 10h40m with an average fuel figure of 10.1L/100km which is pretty good considering my heavy foot and tight/twisty mountain roads around Omeo).

So more importantly here are the pics (unwashed, after doing 1000km yesterday)…

Bug count wasn't too bad for 1000km, maybe too wet for the bugs?

Looks like a L76

Id say so

HPC Coated Pacemakers

Drivers seat bolsters look like they've had minimal wear

As well as floor mats its also had a rear cargo mat in the rear for (i assume) its whole life.

Very clean under all mats...

All 4 wheels look like this.

There are a few minor marks (especially around the rear bumper bar) and the interior center console has some wear, but other than that it’s very straight and very very clean.

Mods?

Well here is the plan. Starting with the engine, as per my other ebay sale thread I have ordered a L76 DoD/camshaft replacement kit from Tuff Parts.

Normally listed as $2034, with 15% discount I paid $1734 delivered for the following parts:

• VCM Performance camshaft (VCM-11, 225/232 .578"/.590" @112.5)
    • PAC Racing 1219 – 625” Valve Springs
    • Manley retainers
    • Hardened steel locks
    • ARP Balancer Bolt
    • 7.450" Chromoly Pushrods
    • Rollmaster Single Row timing chain set
    • ARP Cam bolt set
    • GM L98 Valley Plate
    • GM L98 Lifter Buckets
    • GM L98 Lifter Bolts
    • GM Replacement Lifters
    • GM 6.0L Head Gaskets (2)
    • Aftermarket performance Head Bolts (full set)

The parts actually arrived before the car lol.

Next mod…?

Heres a hint...

A very low km Tuet2066 M12 T56 gearbox from a HSV Z Clubsport including singlemass flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, master/slave cylinder and HSV Short Shifter.

When I do the gearbox conversion ill pull out the engine to fit the new parts including an improved racing sump/baffle system (left over from the VX when I changed to a custom ASR sump), new sump gasket, rear main seal, spigot bearing and I’ll do a quick inspection of the bearings/cylinder walls.

Then the plan is to swap over a bunch of parts from my VY Berlina wagon. EG

• PBR 330mm HSV Clubsport brakes (New DBA Slotted rotors, new Ferodo DS2500 pads)
    • King Springs, Monroe Shocks, GM Strut Tops
    • 3.91:1 Diff with Trutrac Centre
    • 2.5” Twin Xforce Exhaust System (With new 100cpi Cats)
    • VCM Aluminum OTR
    • Complete Stereo System (Inc subs and amps)
    • HSV VZ GTS Gearstick
    • VZ HBD Leather Steering Wheel
    • VZ SS Front Seats and sports pedals
    • SaaS Gauges in HSV pod
    • Then fit the new VE SSV 19” rims (with new rubber)
    • Get the windows tinted and detail the body.

I am also toying with the idea of fitting a WL Grange Instrument Cluster… Thoughts?

Firstly though I need to get it roadworthied/registered (It has a NSW pink slip, but needs a Vic one). After that I’ll start on the modifications…

Won’t be for another 3-4 weeks though as I simply can’t afford the registration lol. Eventually I’ll sell off the VY wagon to recoup a bit, just cashflow is going to be tight till next payday.

Although the timing wasn’t brilliant (as I needed to act quickly), I am really excited and happy with the purchase.

To find such a rare car with so few kms and in such good/stock condition is amazing, considering the price it’s almost unbelievable.

Cheers
    Last edited by feistl; 22-09-2016 at 05:46 PM.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Re: Errol’s VZ L76 Berlina Wagon

Errol yes you have a great example there
    The L76 is rare in the fact only the last 2006 VZ's had them as GM had to comply with the new adr rules that this 6L would do. I did the same thing 4 1/2 years ago when I bought my Crewman as I looked long & hard to find the 6L which I did finally in Nth Qld. I know you already bought the dod delete kit though some of these were already done under warranty due to early failures. I too was one of these who made the assumption mine was dod equipped but found on pulldown was already converted to an L98! These engines have the better oil pump due to dod but a good mod is to block off the secondary oil feed. Search on this board as Simon done a great write up using a stepped plug that works a treat. My full noise oil pressure increased approx. 20 psi with that mod.

aussiebbq is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 15-01-2017 @ 03:47 PM

Wow I would love one of these. The dealer obviously had no idea what they had. Would be kicking themselves if they did.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebbq View Post
    Wow I would love one of these. The dealer obviously had no idea what they had. Would be kicking themselves if they did.
    I think it's more the case of the age of vehicle now & lots of peeps are dropping their beloved 6L for the VF2 6.2L

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 05:50 AM

Great pickup mate, and she looks mint. Have you considered decking the heads whilst they are off? My L76 with VCM21 cam and decked heads made 294rwkw on a Mainline Dyno, through the 6l80E.

PS.. How easy are VCM to deal with. Quality products and great customer service, can't say the same for a lot of other performance parts businesses.

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 09:40 AM

Great pick up Errol.

Smitty is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 09:13 PM

.. sweet deal !
    SMITTY
    Member PIARC HSCCV Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

team illucid is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 02-06-2020 @ 06:34 PM

nice pickup
    “Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice.”

Bling Bling is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 21-11-2020 @ 07:57 PM

Nice but if it is a rare car why modify it ???? you have just lost the value of it.

Toddler78 is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 07:24 PM

Just cause it is rare doesn't mean it's valuable. Nice car but it's just a commodore wagon at the end of the day.
    I'm not a hoon, I'm just competitive

Bling Bling is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 21-11-2020 @ 07:57 PM

Over a dozen call and offers sounds rare and valuable to me for a commodore.

feistl is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 11-09-2018 @ 10:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    some of these were already done under warranty due to early failures.
    Good info, thanks mate.

Anyway i can tell before i pull the motor out?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebbq View Post
    The dealer obviously had no idea what they had. Would be kicking themselves if they did.
    Yep, made sure to tell them AFTER i had signed the paperwork and had the keys in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Great pickup mate, and she looks mint. Have you considered decking the heads whilst they are off? My L76 with VCM21 cam and decked heads made 294rwkw on a Mainline Dyno, through the 6l80E.
    Cheers mate. Yeah, although anyone have any idea how much i can take off before i have PTV clearance issues? I want it to be a straight forward engine build. Also, how much of a power bump would the higher compression give?

What are the specs of the VCM 21 camshatft?

Quote Originally Posted by Bling Bling View Post
    Nice but if it is a rare car why modify it ???? you have just lost the value of it.
    True, although its never going to be worth big dollars, id rather modify and enjoy the car for the next 5+ years and lose a few grand than keep it mint but boring just to make a few bucks.

Plus a Manual 6L VZ Berlina Wagon with low kms will be pretty valuable as well. I got a lot of calls on my Manual VY Berlina Wagon at $16k...

Thanks for the rest of the comments guys.

EDIT - Also theres a similarly low km VZ Berlina Sedan in SA currently listed at $21,000....
    Its nice, but $21k is asking a lot. I mean the Wagon is probably more sought after as its physically larger than the VE wagons so is kinda the best of the "large" wagons ever made. But the sedan (IMO) inst really special enough as the VE Sedan equivalent is a much better car.
    EDIT Again - Especially when you can get a VZ Calais with the 6L.
    Last edited by feistl; 23-09-2016 at 08:14 PM.

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 09:40 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Bling Bling View Post
    Over a dozen call and offers sounds rare and valuable to me for a commodore.
    Yeah, if you believe everything a salesperson says Neil.

I think there may have just been a little bit of exaggeration there.

Blue is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 15-04-2024 @ 09:20 AM

You have a sickness errol!

BLACKVE is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-03-2023 @ 08:02 PM

Nice, always like the Berlina V8 had a VX series 2 ls1 loved the comfy seats they had....
    239/247 goodness............

Thread Information