Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Errol’s VZ L76 Berlina Wagon

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Re: Errol’s VZ L76 Berlina Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by feistl View Post
    Cheers mate. Yeah, although anyone have any idea how much i can take off before i have PTV clearance issues? I want it to be a straight forward engine build. Also, how much of a power bump would the higher compression give?

What are the specs of the VCM 21 camshaft?

Will ask Brad next time I see him, see how much was taken off mine.

The VCM21 specs are: 217˚ 225˚ .600" .578" 113˚ RPM Range: 1750-6600

feistl is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 11-09-2018 @ 10:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    I think there may have just been a little bit of exaggeration there.
    Agreed, although i do believe they had a fair amount of interest...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    You have a sickness errol!
    I know, too many damn projects on the go.

Trying to juggle the VX (some big custom intake modifications planned), still working on the FJ40s and now have 2 wagons to get sorted. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Will ask Brad next time I see him, see how much was taken off mine.

The VCM21 specs are: 217˚ 225˚ .600" .578" 113˚ RPM Range: 1750-6600
    Thats a pretty good power figure then considering the cam size and auto transmission...

Ill be interested to see what power this makes, and how much difference decking the heads makes.

Update: Had a bit of a closer look at the car this morning, it appears to have had more work done than i expected....

Its riding on King Springs and Koni Adjustable Shocks (Front and Rear) which look very new, its also got a full exhaust system (although its pretty quiet). Explains why the ride was so good on the way down (plus the 16" wheels help). Cant wait to get some decent rubber on it, the elcheapo brand tyres the dealer fitted for roadworthy are rubbish.

I'm now trying to work out what i do with the VY wagon... I might sell it as is rather than pulling off the upgraded bits as this wagon already has good suspension/exhaust.

Roadworthy inspection is booked for Wednesday. Will be interesting to see what they find...

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Agreed, although i do believe they had a fair amount of interest...

I know, too many damn projects on the go.

Trying to juggle the VX (some big custom intake modifications planned), still working on the FJ40s and now have 2 wagons to get sorted. lol

Thats a pretty good power figure then considering the cam size and auto transmission...

Ill be interested to see what power this makes, and how much difference decking the heads makes.

Update: Had a bit of a closer look at the car this morning, it appears to have had more work done than i expected....

Its riding on King Springs and Koni Adjustable Shocks (Front and Rear) which look very new, its also got a full exhaust system (although its pretty quiet). Explains why the ride was so good on the way down (plus the 16" wheels help). Cant wait to get some decent rubber on it, the elcheapo brand tyres the dealer fitted for roadworthy are rubbish.

I'm now trying to work out what i do with the VY wagon... I might sell it as is rather than pulling off the upgraded bits as this wagon already has good suspension/exhaust.

Roadworthy inspection is booked for Wednesday. Will be interesting to see what they find...
    What a bonus mate. When you said it had a decent exhaust note in your original post, I figured something must have been done
    Obviously the previous owner appreciated his car.
    Last edited by BLACK 346; 24-09-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Maybe of interest if your L76 has been DOD deleted already you will have the same valley plate as shown below, an L76 will not have that forward PCV breather port.

feistl is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 11-09-2018 @ 10:27 AM

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    What a bonus mate. When you said it had a decent exhaust note in your original post, I figured something must have been done
    Obviously the previous owner appreciated his car.
    Yeah, seems like everything was done properly...

Just as an example, here is a pic of the water pump area... Its what everything in the engine bay looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Maybe of interest if your L76 has been DOD deleted already you will have the same valley plate as shown below, an L76 will not have that forward PCV breather port.
    Doesn't have the pipe, meaning it still has DoD. Thats ok though, as I did buy the entire kit.

Rather than starting a new thread, ill post here.

Any idea what a 4L65E transmission/torque converter with 70,000km would be worth?
    Also, a 3.08 ratio LSD diff?

Both feel very tight and smooth, can be shown running in the car.

(Not actually trying to sell in this thread, just want to know what people reckon its worth).

Quick update:

Car came back from the Roadworthy Inspection…

Needs tint removed, new engine mounts and new rear tyres, other than that they said it looks very clean and very straight.

Got a set of genuine GM engine mounts from Holden (pair) for $266.09 inc GST. They are pretty easy to change (takes about an hour) so will tackle it this weekend. Booked my normal tint guy to come remove the old stuff and I am putting new tyres on the VE SSV 19” wheels so no issues there.

Car is booked in at Vicroads for next Thursday. It’s pretty expensive though…

• Booking Fee $46.40
    • 12 Months Rego $787.40
    • Transfer Fee $38.30
    • Stamp Duty $478.80 ($8.40 per $200)
    • Standard Black Number Plates $200

Total $1550.90 to register in vic.

Add another $700 for Insurance, plus the initial purchase price/wheels/mounts/RWC etc and it’ll be around $15,600 on road.

That ain't bad for a low mileage 6L, once the dod delete is done will be even more reliable too

Quick Update...

Swapped the Xforce exhaust over from the VY wagon (Xforce has a better sound than the redback, both are 2.5" systems).

Next step was the brakes...
    HSV PBR Calipers, new 4000 series Slotted DBA rotors, Ferodo DS2500 pads and a full flush with Liquid Intelligence Racing Brake fluid.

Old parts come off...

New stuff goes on . Happened to notice the sway bar has been upgraded to an adjustable whiteline version.

The rears are the "original" HSV rotors/pads from when it was on the VY wagon as there is heaps of life left. (Slotted rotors and DS2500 pads). Notice the Koni Adjustable shocks/King Springs, not seen in the photo is the upgraded rear whiteline sway bar. Explains why it handles so nicely...

Next step was to swap over the engine mounts (for road worthy). One side had a minor crack, but decided to change both.

Lastly, I chucked on a spare set of VY SS 18" wheels with new Bridgestone Turenza tyres (to clear the brakes and to pass roadworthy). I will be ordering a new set tyres for the VE SSV 19" wheels next week. I'm looking at a set of KUMHO 245/35R19 93Y ECSTA PS91 in 245/35/R19 from International Tyre Trader. Anyone tried these before? Will a 245/35/R19 fit the wheels and have enough clearance on a wagon?

Errol you certainly don't stand still mate! Good job on the brakes the VZ 6L in my opinion are under braked even with the larger front rotors as oem! I fitted the Corvette C6 setup to my Crewie & with the extra weight it carries always pulls up brilliantly. While I remember yours being the first L76 will have the secondary accessible DOD oil feed bung visible on the NS of the block that will allow you to block that passage off when you do the delete. See Simon's write up here http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...=stepped+plugs

Thanks man, just to clarify (as I'm a little confused still)...

The L76 engine has an oil relief valve which prevents oil psi building over 60psi to protect the collapsible lifters (which are there for DoD).

As I am removing them and going back to standard lifters, I should remove the bypass by either using one of those special bolts or physically blocking it up inside the sump (seeing as I'll have the sump off).

Now I was also reading that the DoD oil pump is a high volume type (for the lifters) and this can cause issues if doing an engine transplant and using a smaller sump capacity.

So really the question is, do I just need to block off the bypass when I have the sump off the engine? Is that's all that's needed?

cheers

Thanks man, just to clarify (as I'm a little confused still)...

The L76 engine has an oil relief valve which prevents oil psi building over 60psi to protect the collapsible lifters (which are there for DoD).

As I am removing them and going back to standard lifters, I should remove the bypass by either using one of those special bolts or physically blocking it up inside the sump (seeing as I'll have the sump off).

Now I was also reading that the DoD oil pump is a high volume type (for the lifters) and this can cause issues if doing an engine transplant and using a smaller sump capacity.

So really the question is, do I just need to block off the bypass when I have the sump off the engine? Is that's all that's needed?

cheers
    The L76 has a secondary oil feed with it's own relief valve if you take the sump off it's just a matter of removing the valve & plugging it. You don't need to remove the sump to block that passage though as the above thread shows. Those ports only appear on the early L76's though.

Update:

Tint removed, roadworthy written and ready for registration...

Got it registered at 3:30pm today. Pretty straight forward process (just expensive). Bought the car home and decided to swap the VE SSV 19" wheels and tyres from the VX onto the VZ for a couple of reasons...

• Firstly, The rubber on the VX is nearly 3 years old and has done bugger all kms. Figure i may as well use the rubber before it starts to go hard...

• Secondly, it means i dont need to buy new tyres straight away (bank account is very low).

So in the mean time i decided to chuck the custom Harrop VY 18x9" rims on (with 265/35/R18 tyres). Amazingly, it appears the 265 width tyres fit on the FRONT as well as the rear with no rubbing... Need to do a little more driving to confirm.

SSVs off the VX....

And onto the VZ

New (black) plates on

Then the Harrop wheels onto the VX.

Mmmm, FAT.

Job Done

In the mean time, here are some of the bits that have started arriving.

VCM L76 DoD Kit and VCM-11 Camshaft (Actually arrived before the car did lol)

WL Cluster (Kms programmed to match)

VCM OTR (New Style)

And VZ Manual Pedal Setup.

Hopefully the weather is good this weekend and i can get some work done.

Cheers,

Jason01 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-12-2019 @ 11:02 AM

The SSV wheels look great Errol, I personally thought the VY SS 18's suited it but the SSV's definitely look better. What are the Harrop SS 18x9's if you don't mind me asking, I've never heard of them, I assume they're very hard to find. I wouldn't mind a set for the rear to go with my VY SS 18X8's, would they match up ok, thanks?

Jason.

Cheers man, Yeah my favourite rims WERE the VY SS 18"s until Holden released the VE SSV 19"s. Such a nice clean style rim, i think it actually looks better on the VT-VZs than the VEs lol.

The Harrop wheels were a special 2 piece die cast rim manufactured (primarily) for improved production commodore race cars (think targa tasmania, bathurst 12 hour etc). They were designed to fit 265 width tyres front and rear, and are almost impossible to buckle/damage. (Julian from Harrop said as they were being used in Targa Tasmania the competitors needed a wheel that could stand up to hitting pot holes at very high speed).

They were very limited special release, so pretty hard to find another set.

I actually purchased these from "blue" on this forum... (Who i still owe a ride to in my VX when i eventually get it sorted and running properly... 3 years later lol)

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...-9-5-quot-rims

Im not sure about the colour... I have been toying with the idea of getting them stripped and repainted. The charcoal on black isnt a brilliant colour combination...

On another note, went to Glen Waverly Holden today and got a print out of security related information. EG Radio Pin, Immobiliser security code but most importantly the BCM Serial and Security Code. This means i can purchase some blank key heads and program them up with my Tech-II. (VY onwards required a security code). They didn't charge me either which is great, gonna start buying a lot of spares through them instead of Ferntree Gully.

Oh and final note is some advise for Insurance.

I was getting quotes for Full Comp insurance (going through all the regular mobs) and getting pretty high prices ($700-1000 premium with $1500-2200 excess). Anyway got a quote from Budget Direct ($456 with $800 excess) which is great, but they are a terrible insurance company to deal with if/when it comes time to make a claim. So took the quote to Coles Insurance who not only matched it, but beat it by $50...

So Full Comp insurance with Market Value was just $406 premium and a $800 excess. I couldn't justify paying the $400-500 extra for Shannons/RACV etc even if they didnt offer a slightly higher agreed value.

Cheers,
    Last edited by feistl; 07-10-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Thread Information