Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Errol’s VZ L76 Berlina Wagon

Smitty is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 09:13 PM

Re: Errol’s VZ L76 Berlina Wagon

... nice update on the wagon!
    Last edited by Smitty; 07-10-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    SMITTY
    Member PIARC HSCCV Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

feistl is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 11-09-2018 @ 10:27 AM

Cheers man

Swapped the Top Gun 10mm Race Leads across from the VY Wagon...

A just a quick visual difference between a 235 and a 265 tyre. 30mm doesn't seem like much, but it looks like a lot more. (sorry for the poor quality pic, it was just on dusk so struggled to get enough light to see the rubber without being too bright in the background).

Jason01 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-12-2019 @ 11:02 AM

Quote Originally Posted by feistl View Post
    Cheers man, Yeah my favourite rims WERE the VY SS 18"s until Holden released the VE SSV 19"s. Such a nice clean style rim, i think it actually looks better on the VT-VZs than the VEs lol.

The Harrop wheels were a special 2 piece die cast rim manufactured (primarily) for improved production commodore race cars (think targa tasmania, bathurst 12 hour etc). They were designed to fit 265 width tyres front and rear, and are almost impossible to buckle/damage. (Julian from Harrop said as they were being used in Targa Tasmania the competitors needed a wheel that could stand up to hitting pot holes at very high speed).

They were very limited special release, so pretty hard to find another set.

I actually purchased these from "blue" on this forum... (Who i still owe a ride to in my VX when i eventually get it sorted and running properly... 3 years later lol)

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...-9-5-quot-rims

I'm not sure about the colour... I have been toying with the idea of getting them stripped and repainted. The charcoal on black isn't a brilliant colour combination...

On another note, went to Glen Waverly Holden today and got a print out of security related information. EG Radio Pin, Immobiliser security code but most importantly the BCM Serial and Security Code. This means i can purchase some blank key heads and program them up with my Tech-II. (VY onwards required a security code). They didn't charge me either which is great, gonna start buying a lot of spares through them instead of Ferntree Gully.

Oh and final note is some advise for Insurance.

I was getting quotes for Full Comp insurance (going through all the regular mobs) and getting pretty high prices ($700-1000 premium with $1500-2200 excess). Anyway got a quote from Budget Direct ($456 with $800 excess) which is great, but they are a terrible insurance company to deal with if/when it comes time to make a claim. So took the quote to Coles Insurance who not only matched it, but beat it by $50...

So Full Comp insurance with Market Value was just $406 premium and a $800 excess. I couldn't justify paying the $400-500 extra for Shannons/RACV etc even if they didn't offer a slightly higher agreed value.

Cheers,
    Thanks for the info Errol, I thought they looked like they had bolts of some sort in those couple of photos you posted but I wasn't entirely sure, you just confirmed it saying they're two piece plus posting the other links with better photos to see the front of them. They probably wouldn't match too well with factory 18's to have an 8 inch front and 9 inch rear combo unfortunately.

A colour to match with your black car is a hard one, the charcoal looks pretty good in the photos but might be different in the flesh, maybe a champagne or light gold might work ok, or just keep them factory looking with a variation of silver unless you want black like most seem to. I have mine painted silver with some gold mixed in to try and get a champagne look (VX II Clubsport R8) and they look really good but it's on a sting red car.

Also I'm surprised to hear Shannons are too expensive for the insurance, I have my vehicles (and house) with them and the premiums are very reasonable. One thing I can say from experience unfortunately is when it goes bad and you have to make a claim they are fantastic to deal with and no drama whatsoever, definitely worth the extra spend for peace of mind there.

Jason.

P.S. Those 265's look bloody huge for 18's.
    Last edited by Jason01; 08-10-2016 at 10:55 PM.

feistl is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 11-09-2018 @ 10:27 AM

Do you have any pics of the champagne colour rims on the car?

Shannons are fantastic (They insure my VX and FJ40s) but for a daily driver thats not garaged its just too expensive. Shannons will charge $600+ extra per year and only cover an extra $4-5k, so as i dont do many kms and am a pretty good driver (Ex Defensive Driving Instructor) id rather save the $600 for mods .

Quick Update:

Spent a bit of time on the VY Wagon (getting it ready for sale) and pulling a few parts off.

Pulled the stereo system out (both amps, 4 speakers/2 tweeters and the rear sub). Also put the standard harmonic balancer back on as i plan to install the 25% UDP onto the L76 when its out getting the cam installed. Will post pics of these later.

Pulled the door trims off the VZ in preparation for the Stereo install and so my tint guy can install the new tint. The good news is it looks like it was the first time the trim has been off (no scratches on the screws, plastic looks like the original install plus it just has standard speakers).

Next step was to change over the steering wheel from the Standard leather to the HBD (Holden By Design) leather with white stitching...

Popped the airbag out

Lined the steering wheel straight and marked it (always a good idea)

You can see the difference

New wheel fitted

And airbag back on.

(Oh and you may have noticed the radio is missing, i have installed that back into the VY wagon).

Then dropped the wagon off at the Tint guys place, he should get to it in the next couple of days.

Didnt get as much done on the VZ as i would have liked, but the VY took a long time to remove all the bits i wanted to keep (Stereo, gauges, steering wheel, harmonic balancer etc).

Cheers,

Sold.

Was really sad to see it go, was a really nice car I've enjoyed owning for the last few years. It went to a ripper bloke who had a few plans for it, so might see it on the forum at some stage.

He is actually from Sydney but was working in the mines in Perth. He caught an overnight plane into Melbourne at 5:30am this morning... I met him at the airport, he test drove it and bought it on the spot. Then dropped me at a train station and headed home from there...

He messaged me this arvo after driving it all day and is rapt with it which is great.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Great result Errol win win! Now let the work to the VZ Wags begin!!

Yep, got $13k for the VY wagon (After taking out the diff and stereo).

Got the VZ back after having the new tint applied. Went out and grabbed a couple of quick pics a few minutes ago....

Note: It still hasn't been washed since i purchased it and drove it back from Sydney. Coming from previously owning Black and Dark Blue cars, Silver is ****ing brilliant.

Oh and anyone looking to have tint install in south east Melbourne, give Brett a call on 0412 563 406. He has been doing cars for me for over a decade and the finish is always perfect. Never had a single issue (more than 10 cars done).

His prices are also very competitive compared to the normal places. Most of the time he does work for car dealers (Mercs/AMGs, BMWs etc) and i think he has done a number of Astons, Ferraris, Lambos etc. All his work is word of mouth...

Cheers,

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 01:26 PM

I had a black VT2 SS and still have one black car (wife's Mazda), and agree Silver is bloody awesome for being low maintenance. Even easier to maintain than our white car.

You probably already installed the larger brakes though changing the rubber oem hoses to braids def. give a better feel with these kits. I done same when fitted the C6/PBR option to my 6L Crewie.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 01:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    You probably already installed the larger brakes though changing the rubber oem hoses to braids def. give a better feel with these kits. I done same when fitted the C6/PBR option to my 6L Crewie.
    Yes, braided lines definitely worth the $.

Where did you guys get the kit from? roughly what did you pay?

Where did you guys get the kit from? roughly what did you pay?
    I got the set for my VT from this mob

http://www.safebrake.com.au/

The ones on my VE came with the brakes.

Happy with the quality? If so I'll order a set now.

cheers

Happy with the quality? If so I'll order a set now.

cheers
    Yes, they were very good quality. I just had a look at the VZ sets, and it lists them for Sedan only, are the Wagons a different brake setup?

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Yes, they were very good quality. I just had a look at the VZ sets, and it lists them for Sedan only, are the Wagons a different brake setup?
    Rod they should all be the same except AWD offcourse. My setup came off a sedan.

Thread Information