Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 GSX-R1000/R World Media Launch at Phillip Island This week...

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2024 @ 08:47 PM

Re: 2017 GSX-R1000/R World Media Launch at Phillip Island This week...

Here's what I was referring to...

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ry-for-iom-tt/

Jason01 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-12-2019 @ 11:02 AM

I do remember hearing that at the time now, I'd forgotten about it. He obviously feels more comfortable on the BMW, he's certainly the fastest bloke around there in the last couple of years and the current lap record holder so who can argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason01 View Post
    Guy Martin (Suzuki) and Michael Dunlop (BMW) 2014 TT, enjoy.

https://youtu.be/OmNXCJt7K3Q

P.S. Note the BMW isn't exactly running away from the GSXR.

In the end Micheal Dunlop on the BMW S1000RR won by a full 20.561 seconds... That's a large margin, especially at the speeds there doing....

2014 Superbike TT final standings.[edit]

31 May 2014 6 Laps (226.38 Miles) Mountain Course.
    Rank Rider Team Speed Time
    1 Michael Dunlop BMW 1000cc 128.415 mph 1:45.46.384
    2 Guy Martin Suzuki 1000cc 128.000 mph 1:46.06.954

The same year I bought my 2002 GSX-R1000 K2 brand new, David Jeffries did an on board lap on the exact same bike, explaining how he rides the TT course in great detail...

I have the full quality dvd at home, but this low quality version, is the same one...

Unfortunately only a couple of years later he died on the TT course...

Quote Originally Posted by SASLS1 View Post
    In the end Micheal Dunlop on the BMW S1000RR won by a full 20.561 seconds... That's a large margin, especially at the speeds there doing....

2014 Superbike TT final standings.[edit]

31 May 2014 6 Laps (226.38 Miles) Mountain Course.
    Rank Rider Team Speed Time
    1 Michael Dunlop BMW 1000cc 128.415 mph 1:45.46.384
    2 Guy Martin Suzuki 1000cc 128.000 mph 1:46.06.954
    I agree that's a big margin but there's more to that gap than just bike superiority of course, pit stops, tyre degradation etc, the video I posted is pretty even for that particular lap (balls like watermelons those guys, damn).

Michael Dunlop on the BMW is certainly the rider to beat at the moment. I'd love to see Guy Martin finally win one and John McGuiness pick up at least a couple more though, who knows maybe this year, they're teamed up on Hondas.

We've taken the thread a bit off track here, sorry man.

I agree that's a big margin but there's more to that gap than just bike superiority of course, pit stops, tyre degradation etc, the video I posted is pretty even for that particular lap (balls like watermelons those guys, damn).

Michael Dunlop on the BMW is certainly the rider to beat at the moment. I'd love to see Guy Martin finally win one and John McGuiness pick up at least a couple more though, who knows maybe this year, they're teamed up on Hondas.

Already a done deal, John McGuinness and Guy Martin will be team mates, on the all-new Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade SP2 this year.

Cool combination...

https://www.iomtt.com/News/2017/01/18/John-McGuinness-to-race-new-fireblade-for-Honda-with-Guy.aspx

We've taken the thread a bit off track here, sorry man.
    No worries at all, this is so much more interesting... than looking at parked cars...

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    I'll keep my S1000RR This thing doesn't even have forged wheels or an electronic suspension option. The engine looks to have possibly caught BMW from 7 years ago though, so that's good but we shall see on the dyno
    In the real world... for the average Joe riding on the street, and doing the odd track day here and there, forged wheels and electronic suspension options aren't going to make stuff all difference, other than bragging rights...

Forged or Carbon wheels, can always be added after the fact anyway, if your want to spend lots more...

If the BMW DDC every stops working or gets a fault, it'll cost crazy coin to fix it...

2017 Suzuki GSX-R1000R confirmed on grid at ASBK in 2 weeks time, at Phillip Island...

Same weekend as WorldSBK, at Phillip Island...

http://www.mcnews.com.au/josh-waters-to-hit-the-asbk-grid-on-suzuki-gsx-r1000r/
    Last edited by SASLS1; 13-02-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Fix non functioning link

I hadn't watched that video of Guy Martin and John McGuiness, it was like a comedy duo, great stuff. Guy Martin has done some really cool TV programs that have been shown over here in recent times, his quirkiness and humour makes them really enjoyable to watch, a genuine character.

John McGuiness has raced at the island classic the last few years, it would be cool to get there for a look and meet him one day, he seems like a really down to earth bloke. The first time I saw an interview with him where he said something like "I'm nothing special, just a brick layer from Morecombe, come up and say hi" (who just happens to be the second greatest IOMTT race winner in history).

I hope they both do really well teamed up together, it should make for a few laughs in the pits.
    Last edited by Jason01; 13-02-2017 at 10:03 AM.

A Tea company should sponsor Guy Martin, considering he always has a cup in his hand, and drinks it by the "Gallon" everyday... Fueling one of the fastest "REAL ROAD RACERS" in the World....

Would be a Awesome marketing opportunity 100%... Throw all that (red bull / V / monster) Rubbish, Straight In The Bin........ Hahaha....

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by SASLS1 View Post
    In the real world... for the average Joe riding on the street, and doing the odd track day here and there, forged wheels and electronic suspension options aren't going to make stuff all difference, other than bragging rights...

Forged or Carbon wheels, can always be added after the fact anyway, if your want to spend lots more...

If the BMW DDC every stops working or gets a fault, it'll cost crazy coin to fix it...
    Completely to the contrary mate. You need to sample one in a variety of conditions to really appreciate it. DDC is incredible with its ability to be able to adapt to varying conditions, let alone allow user changes on the fly (think MRC, but on steroids). Its more apparent for the street than the track in that regard, but it shines in both environments. Plus its always setup. Once you dial in the mechanical preload there is nothing more to you really have to do. Its like having a suspension guru on your back constantly making tweaks to improve your ride. I have mine set soft in sport mode for commuting. For my user config I have it baselined and let the DDC do the array of adjustments it does. For the track I bump up the front dampening a bit but that's it.

Forged wheels are one of those things that once you've had them, you will never want to ride a bike without them. It makes turn in feel like you're on a smaller class bike. I've ridden S1000's with both, and I can lane change hands free on cruise control (another thing that's disappointing others haven't adopted, as again once you've had it you won't want another bike without it) with the tweak of an arse cheek on the highway with the much lighter forgies. Its an $1800 option from BMW. Compare that to aftermarket and its a bargain, which is why many people have taken on the option.

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    Completely to the contrary mate. You need to sample one in a variety of conditions to really appreciate it. DDC is incredible with its ability to be able to adapt to varying conditions, let alone allow user changes on the fly (think MRC, but on steroids). Its more apparent for the street than the track in that regard, but it shines in both environments. Plus its always setup. Once you dial in the mechanical preload there is nothing more to you really have to do. Its like having a suspension guru on your back constantly making tweaks to improve your ride. I have mine set soft in sport mode for commuting. For my user config I have it baselined and let the DDC do the array of adjustments it does. For the track I bump up the front dampening a bit but that's it.

Forged wheels are one of those things that once you've had them, you will never want to ride a bike without them. It makes turn in feel like you're on a smaller class bike. I've ridden S1000's with both, and I can lane change hands free on cruise control (another thing that's disappointing others haven't adopted, as again once you've had it you won't want another bike without it) with the tweak of an arse cheek on the highway with the much lighter forgies. Its an $1800 option from BMW. Compare that to aftermarket and its a bargain, which is why many people have taken on the option.

There's no doubt they work well and would be nice to have... but they aren't deal breakers IMO... and are options on the S1000RR, so not mandatory.

The difference between having them fitted, and not having them fitted, and making you ride faster on the street / trackday, would be Extremely Small...

On race bikes, they rip all the OEM front forks / rear shock's out of them most of the time, and replace them with non electronic race units anyway...

Yes the OEM cruise control on the S1000RR is a very cool feature...

The best thing I've done to improve the grip on my GSX-R1000 K2 is fit, Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V2's, there stupid expensive to buy, as every dealer wants full RRP for them, so zero discounting at all.... but they are the best tyres I've ever fitted in the past 15 years with the bike, Bar None IMO.... they are Crazy Good!!! (95% of time on street)

Was previously using Pilot Powers for years, but finally upgraded to the Supercorsa's, and won't be buying anything else other than them in the future.

Coming out of corners on the power, I can apply more power early, while still leaned over, compared to the Pilot Powers.

They just grip and go... can't get enough of them...

What tyre's do you currently have on your S1000RR ?

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

Disagree mate. The added confidence DDC gives on the street is awe inspiring. The bike makes me look faster than I really am as none of my mates can hit twisties faster than me on other bikes. It's certainly not me. It's the bike.

Yep they are great tyres. Standard on the S1000rr when you get forgies and the traction control is tweaked to take advantage of the 200 rear. I've moved away from them due to wear though. Rosso Corsas now are almost as good but offer a harder middle section. The s21s are meant to be brilliant too. Lots of mates using them who have previously had Supercorsas

HSV,_I_GOT_ONE is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 22-07-2019 @ 11:04 AM

I don't think Macca is saying he is necessarily faster with the added bits and pieces on the bike, his point is that the bike feels much nicer to ride with the added features. And if you look at the price of the s1000rr's they really are great value if not best value bike out now. I remember going from my z750 to the CBR1000rr. I'm not necessarily faster on the road twisties but damned if the bike doesn't feel like it eats it all up way better than the Z did.

2017 GSX-R1000/R World Media Launch at Phillip Island This week...

Yep it's about feeling confident. Take the new R1. A very capable track bike, but take it through some undulating twisties and it will knock the crap out of most people's confidence and subsequently slow them down. With DDC that doesn't happen. It always feels planted from table top flat circuits to Himalayan twisties. You simply can not get that wide a variety of suspension compliance with regular suspension.

I suspect this Gixer will be just like the ZX10 in that regard. Time will tell

Thread Information