Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 GSX-R1000/R World Media Launch at Phillip Island This week...

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

2017 GSX-R1000/R World Media Launch at Phillip Island This week...

Euros won't be restricted. So clearly Suzuki is bullshitting their claimed power. They aren't the only model to be restricted in the US, the R1 is too. BMW isn't FYI and there is ~15hp on the table as well as significant gains in the low end with tuning. Pretty piss poor they have to restrict it for the US. Hell with that monstrosity of an exhaust it's quite a surprise they can't get it to comply. Part throttle torque is all subjective too. Cool it makes good power under the curve, but can you use it? The gixxer doesn't even have wheelie control which is pathetic in this day and age. Hell I can power wheelie my s1000rr from 4000rpm. Is more power down low going to make it faster! God No! It's up top and at speed where peak power reigns supreme and that is where the gixxer is lacking compared to everyone bar Honda.

You're right though performance is what matters. Hows the gearing on the new gixxer. I heard they now run a larger rear sprocket. Can it even do 300km/h now. Wait... Could it ever! BMW can do 316km/h STOCK! Most guys actually gear them up as they have plenty of low end torque anyway and guys just want to gear them so they can do 200mph.

Frankly it's good it's stepped up. But to not win a comparison in its first year shows its not as good as the hype makes out.

For the money they are commanding you would have to have rocks in your head to buy one. You can get a fully loaded 16 s1000rr for less money that comes with electronic suspension, forged wheels that run a 200tyre and many other toys Suzuki don't offer.

Fan boys will buy this. Racers will buy a ZX-10 or R1 and those who ride on the street or want power bragging rights should buy the BMW. That's my thoughts
    Last edited by macca_779; 07-04-2017 at 06:18 AM.

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 20-04-2024 @ 12:34 AM

Re: 2017 GSX-R1000/R World Media Launch at Phillip Island This week...

Quote Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
    Euros won't be restricted. So clearly Suzuki is bullshitting their claimed power. They aren't the only model to be restricted in the US, the R1 is too. BMW isn't FYI and there is ~15hp on the table as well as significant gains in the low end with tuning. Pretty piss poor they have to restrict it for the US. Hell with that monstrosity of an exhaust it's quite a surprise they can't get it to comply. Part throttle torque is all subjective too. Cool it makes good power under the curve, but can you use it? The gixxer doesn't even have wheelie control which is pathetic in this day and age. Hell I can power wheelie my s1000rr from 4000rpm. Is more power down low going to make it faster! God No! It's up top and at speed where peak power reigns supreme and that is where the gixxer is lacking compared to everyone bar Honda.

You're right though performance is what matters. Hows the gearing on the new gixxer. I heard they now run a larger rear sprocket. Can it even do 300km/h now. Wait... Could it ever! BMW can do 316km/h STOCK! Most guys actually gear them up as they have plenty of low end torque anyway and guys just want to gear them so they can do 200mph.

Frankly it's good it's stepped up. But to not win a comparison in its first year shows its not as good as the hype makes out.

For the money they are commanding you would have to have rocks in your head to buy one. You can get a fully loaded 16 s1000rr for less money that comes with electronic suspension, forged wheels that run a 200tyre and many other toys Suzuki don't offer.

Fan boys will buy this. Racers will buy a ZX-10 or R1 and those who ride on the street or want power bragging rights should buy the BMW. That's my thoughts

Any one of these bike's on the street, would blow the minds of most people...

Which ever bike each person likes the best, go with your heart, it doesn't really matter...

The 2017 GSX-R does have wheelie control BTW...

Having awesome mid range to high end power ridding on the street, is where it's most useful... You don't have to change down gear, just open the taps and power on past whoever your overtaking...

Having crap mid range, and only all the beans right at the top like the R1, is useless on the street...

Exhaust and gearing can be easily changed to suit ones needs, and who ever keeps the stock slip on exhaust anyway.

Top's speeds are irrelevant in the world, with the right gearing they'll all be right up there.

There are heaps of you tube videos, with bikes that have obviously changed gearing, and haven't re calibrated there speedo's, making it look like they are going way faster than they actual are, don't believe everything you see...

My 15 year old GSX-R1000 K2 more than cuts the mustard and still puts a huge smile on face, every time I ride it....

I've done a 10.3 down the quarter stock, all the latest 2017 Supersport bikes are around 10.1 - 10.2....

Ridding on the street within the speed limit, there would be nothing in it...

Sure they are more advanced, and on an open racetrack it would be a different story... but my 95% of the time ridding on the street, I still haven't seen a real reason to upgrade...
    Last edited by SASLS1; 07-04-2017 at 01:33 PM.

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

Quote Originally Posted by SASLS1 View Post
    Any one of these bike's on the street, would blow the minds of most people...

Which ever bike each person likes the best, go with your heart, it doesn't really matter...

The 2017 GSX-R does have wheelie control BTW...

Having awesome mid range to high end power ridding on the street, is where it's most useful... You don't have to change down gear, just open the taps and power on past whoever your overtaking...

Having crap mid range, and only all the beans right at the top like the R1, is useless on the street...

Exhaust and gearing can be easily changed to suit ones needs, and who ever keeps the stock slip on exhaust anyway.

Top's speeds are irrelevant in the world, with the right gearing they'll all be right up there.

There are heaps of you tube videos, with bikes that have obviously changed gearing, and haven't re calibrated there speedo's, making it look like they are going way faster than they actual are, don't believe everything you see...

My 15 year old GSX-R1000 K2 more than cuts the mustard and still puts a huge smile on face, every time I ride it....

I've done a 10.3 down the quarter stock, all the latest 2017 Supersport bikes are around 10.1 - 10.2....

Ridding on the street within the speed limit, there would be nothing in it...

Sure they are more advanced, and on an open racetrack it would be a different story... but my 95% of the time ridding on the street, I still haven't seen a real reason to upgrade...
    Mate I think you need to sample something a bit newer than a K2 to comprehend bikes of this generation. I ride one, I don't just read about them. I've done my time on analog bikes. No way in hell am I going back.

Yes these are all stupidly powerful bikes, but you do get used to the power I assure you and the confidence the electronics give you. I've used all 194rwhp of my bike on many occasions doing stupid shit that I'm not proud of. Who rides a superbike on the street and doesn't occasionally ;-)

No it doesn't have Wheelie Control. Look it up! It has traction control like every other bike. Having TC will mean that in a hover the traction control will pull the front down as a side effect of seeing the delta between front and rear wheel speed. But this isn't wheelie control by a long shot. Trust me! My bike actually has it and its a big difference in mine between the modes of how far it lets you go.

Yep exhaust can be changed, and by god if you had a Gixxer it would be embarrassing not to. Its just amazing that with what looks like the biggest muffler ever used on a bike this side of a Mack truck that Suzuki still can't get it to comply with emission regs that they have to detune it for the US.

Top speed isn't irrelevant. These are superbikes and in this day and age its expected. An S1000RR will do 150km/h in 1st gear! Its not geared for the drag strip but they'll still do 9's in the right hands none the less. You aren't going to get 200mph out of a fireblade or previous gen gixxers period. They simply don't have the horsepower or the aero to do it. What was the top speed of the 17 btw. I notice you mentioned it did 0-Top Speed in xx seconds previously. How fast was it?

Again mate. Ride something modern and realise that newer bikes use the wheel speed sensors to measure speed. You can change the sprockets on an S1000RR to your hearts content and it won't change the speedo calibration. All the other bikes with traction control will be the same as it would be stupid to still have a speed sensor in the gearbox when you have to read speed off the wheels for ABS and TC.

I get that your excited with this new generation bike and you're a passionate Suzuki guy. But look at it subjectively and in comparison to what else is out there and has been in the pack for years from Europe and even japan for the last few years. When you do that, you'll see it's barely on par with the competition.

2017 GSX-R1000/R World Media Launch at Phillip Island This week...

Think I'll keep my 2015 s1000rr which is 13kg lighter than the new one and makes more power. Suzuki didn't do very well at all. Those rubbish brakes really letting it down and it's poor lap times. The gearing is clearly shorter too and it's top speed the 2nd slowest of the lot even with more power than the Honda.

The surprising thing is the 6th gear roll on for the Gixxer. For an engine that is supposedly a torque monster and has shorter gearing it was only 3 thousandths of a second faster than the BMW. Which considering the BMW is geared taller than all of them being able to do 316km/h just shows the VVT doesnt add any advantage at all.

Really surprised the Honda won. It's not really that good at anything.

https://youtu.be/SJFszDt8ouo
    Last edited by macca_779; 10-04-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Jason01 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-12-2019 @ 11:02 AM

Off topic from the very healthy GSXR v S1000RR debate and back to the IOMTT for a bit but I thought you guys might enjoy this. It's some pretty candid discussion between some of the very best current TT riders caught on a bike camera after a couple of scary moments on a wet track and shows the supporting footage straight afterwards. I think it's probably from at least a couple of years ago.

https://youtu.be/z1-_OeVYup0

Last edited by whitels1ss; 27-04-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: embedded video

Just saw the pricing for the new gixxer. Spat my coffee all over my screen! FROM $27490! Are they taking the piss or what? That's ridiculous.

A PSYCHO is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 12-01-2021 @ 05:19 PM

wow thats up there

Jason01 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 04-12-2019 @ 11:02 AM

It'd be fair to say that the results just below probably shine a bit brighter light on the BMW than the GSX-R for this debate. Ian Hutchinson won the superbike race on the Beemer as well, Michael Dunlop isn't exactly setting the world on fire on the Suzuki but he did manage a Supersport win on his Yamaha.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/ian-hutchin...superstock-tt/

Guy Martin is very lucky to be alive and largely uninjured after finding a box full of neutrals braking for Doran's bend and stepping off at around 140mph in the Superbike race. Watching the attached footage and interview below it's clearly rattled him.

https://youtu.be/sjZXaUwYoog
    Last edited by Jason01; 08-06-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Yes the domination of BMW in TT racing continues. Interestingly enough Dunlops Suzuki did well in qual the other week. However it also blew so perhaps they turned the wick up a bit to far on it. As for the Honda's...

18922089_10155409955959314_361880783338831082_n.jpg

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 24-04-2024 @ 08:39 PM

Where has SASLS1 been for the last 2 months?

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    Where has SASLS1 been for the last 2 months?
    May have fell off the bandwagon when he saw the price! I mean seriously if Suzuki want to play in the big leagues then they need to build a bike that is not just on par with the top contenders but exceed it with performance and features. Pricing it above BMW is laughable as it's not at that level.

A PSYCHO is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 12-01-2021 @ 05:19 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jason01 View Post
    Guy Martin is very lucky to be alive and largely uninjured after finding a box full of neutrals braking for Doran's bend and stepping off at around 140mph in the Superbike race. Watching the attached footage and interview below it's clearly rattled him.

https://youtu.be/sjZXaUwYoog
    ****in hell he is NOT impressed haha. surprised hes wearing that honda shirt in the interview haha

heavychevy is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 27-02-2020 @ 12:24 PM

He was doing his best to be as restrained and diplomatic as possible, but a critical equipment fail like that would have to affect his confidence to totally commit to his ride.

MD wins Senior TT 2017...

Thread Information