Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick's VY SV8.

pricey is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 24-03-2024 @ 10:59 PM

Nick's VY SV8.

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker and have only recently started posting on the forum.
    I have been on other Holden orientated forums for a while now so I may as well add my build log to this one

Name: Nick
    Model: 2002 Holden Commodore VY SV8
    Color: Close matching shades of red.
    Engine Type: LS1 5.7L V8
    Transmission: Automatic
    Kilometers: Purchased at 246,XXX- Currently 256,XXX.

Modifications:
    HBD front lip rear lip and side skirts.
    Hurricane 1 7/8" 4 into 1 extractors.
    Hurricane high flow catalytic converters.
    Redback twin 2.5" catback exhaust.
    3" chrome exhaust tips.
    Older alloy OTR air intake. painted texture coat black.
    VT 5.0L radiator (to delete garbage VY overflow).
    VY clubsport 330mm front and 315mm rear brakes.
    HBD J series wheels resprayed in Quicksilver Metallic 2 pack with Kumho KU22 235/40/18 tires front and KU27's rear, same profile.
    KYB front struts, rear shocks and FE2 springs.
    STP Gold sound deadening in the front doors, STP Silver sound deadening in the boot and Shok Mat sound deadening on the rear doors, parcel shelf and behind the seats.
    Roof lining re trimmed in Stinger dark grey, all pillars trimmed in Stinger black material.
    Heavy duty tow bar.
    Interior LED's changed to red besides sunglasses holder.
    VYII Calais cluster programmed with red LED's for the needles and screens.
    Center console trims painted gloss black and facia wrapped in a black brushed aluminum style vinyl.

Stereo:
    Optima D35 battery.
    Streetwires brand battery terminals.
    Pioneer 80PRS head unit.
    Audible Physics NZ3A wideband drivers in the A pillars built by AV-DC.
    Morel Elate 6" drivers in the front doors.
    Hertz HDP4 4 channel.
    All OFC power cable and speaker cable.

I'll upload some pictures tomorrow!

pricey is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 24-03-2024 @ 10:59 PM

Re: Nick's VY SV8.

I've been busy over the last few days, here are the pictures.

The day I bought the car it went straight onto the dyno to see how much power and torque it was making, my mate who I bought the car from bought it already tuned with the exhaust and OTR but never bothered to find out the figures.
    If you can't read it, it made 217RWKW and 392RWNM, the tune is rich and should be adjusted but I'm happy with it the feel of it

Vy Clubsport brakes still look like stock size behind these wheels, dunno why.

Engine bay- it had those tacky gloss red "LS1" engine covers so my mate shaved them off and painted the covers texture coat satin black, along with the alloy OTR.
    There is a STP heat reducing foam applied to the underside on the bonnet which rubs on the strut brace and OTR, oh well.
    Optima D35 battery installed with some Streetwires 0 gauge and Streetwires battery terminals to look nice and perform just as good.

The A pillars weren't installed yet as I still had to run wiring in the car.

First major service at 250,000km I changed over the plugs as they were about 80,XXXkm old and it was starting to miss when cold.
    Saved myself $80 by shopping around on eBay but still managed to buy them from an Australian company!
    The resistance for the leads was fine so they were not replaced, but I don't like them because they are blue.

I also bought two new Kumho KU27 tires for the rear as they were not legal. Tread wear rating of 600 means they should last a while, not as much grip as the KU22's on the front though, ASK ME HOW I KNOW
    Over the Easter long weekend I made a trip from Adelaide to Warrnambool Thursday the 13th, a few small towns in Vic then Melbourne and back to Adelaide on my Birthday the 17th.
    On they way back I managed to make it all the way from my sisters house in North Melbourne all the way home and to work the next day, average economy was 8.9L/100km with frequent overtaking of numpties doing 80 in 100 and 110 zones.
    Going to do another engine service next weekend along with the transmission as well as it is overdue.
    Last edited by pricey; 30-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

Nice!! Reminds me of my first foray back into the Commodore V8 realms when I bought a brand new red VY SV8 with HBD body kit in March 2003.

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 10:31 PM

Looks very tidy mate!

(But I can't read the numbers on your dyno sheet btw. )

Just edited the post and added the numbers

The photo I took of the plugs and leads didn't upload, here is is.
    The plugs I replaced them with are AC Delco 41-805

Thanks gents! My mate bought it 5 years ago and he has spent hundreds of hours working on the car to make it is how it is today, I can't take any credit for any of the work done to the car.
    Long term plans (2-3 years) are to make it a weekend sleeper/cruiser and the occasional track day at Mallala eating all the rice with a nice turbo and 6 speed conversion

I have a set of Monaro CV8 wheels in the shed that need to be painted Quicksilver Metallic like the HBD J wheels on the car now.
    Last edited by pricey; 30-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 10:31 PM

Sounds fantastic mate!

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Very nice mate, keep up the good work

Before I go ahead and purchase some engine oil, is there a recommendation as to what weight I should be using?
    The factory spec seems a bit thin IMO for a 15 year old engine with 257,XXX on it with the standard lifter noise.
    The engine currently has 10W40 full synthetic.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Castrol Edge 10w60 is pretty popular amongst the LS crowd. Also Penrite in either 10w50 or 10w60.

Below is what I use.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...0-Litre/342309

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Castrol Edge 10w60 is pretty popular amongst the LS crowd. Also Penrite in either 10w50 or 10w60.

Below is what I use.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...0-Litre/342309
    Never thought of using that Rod & good value too!

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Never thought of using that Rod & good value too!
    Yes, especially with the VE's needing 8 litres Mick

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Yes, especially with the VE's needing 8 litres Mick
    Yes! I was buying 20L Pen 10/60 ten tenths full synth from Bursons costing about $350, though thinking about it will go the same way as you I reckon!

Today I was bored and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea doing a power steering fluid flush.
    The pump has been a bit noisy near full lock and getting a little heavy.
    A user on here named HSV Listy has made a video, very straight forward and easy enough to do by yourself, thanks mate!!
    I used a bit of 10mm ID hose, a M10 bolt and a couple of clamps on the reservoir so I could fill it up and do the flushing process.

I flushed through about 3L and took the car for a drive, steering is lighter and no more noise near full lock!

While we're discussing oils, I've done a bit of price research over the last few days on Dex III, all retail prices shown so you guys can save a few dollars as well
    Penrite is $9.49/L for a 4L bottle.
    Castrol is $9.24/L for a 4L bottle.
    AC Delco is $8.75/L for a 4L bottle.
    Chief is $7.74/L for a 4L bottle.
    Burson's (Peak Oil) is $8.60/L for a 5L bottle.
    Sprint's (Hi Tec Oil) is $6.80/L for a 5L bottle.

Oh and I also found the video of the car doing a dyno run for anyone that is interested in hearing the exhaust, full specs are in the 1st post.
    https://youtu.be/_B6EoPCgUCA
    Last edited by pricey; 30-04-2017 at 07:05 PM.

As for this weekend, I changed the engine oil and filter. Nulon was on special and I still had 1L left over from the last service so I just used that.
    The snake oil was on special as well, I've read people have used it and gotten good results so I may as well give it a go. The genuine filters are cheaper than aftermarket too.

Know some people swear by Nulon but personally not a fan,

Thread Information