Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Nick's VY SV8.

pricey is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 24-03-2024 @ 10:59 PM

Re: Nick's VY SV8.

The factory pump was getting noisier and it was about the same cost to convert it to the electric pump set up, as it would have been to just replace the hydraulic pump with a brand new unit.
    The last time I took it through the hills for a squirt the pump was louder than the engine by the end of it.

I'm planning to do some track work one day with the car and have heard the factory pumps are notorious for cooking. So far after a few hours of driving today the pump has barely been warm to the touch which is reassuring.

Plus it's one less accessory that the engine has to drive which might open up a few horsepower, not that I'm worried about that.

pricey is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 24-03-2024 @ 10:59 PM

Factory PCV cracked and it sounded like there was one of those rubber chicken toys under the bonnet because of the air leak.
    Part number 12590632, $131 at the local dealership. 5 minutes to swap it over and no more rubber chicken!

Next up is going to be a Radium Engineering catch can when funds allow.
    Last edited by pricey; 04-08-2018 at 09:21 PM.

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 10:31 PM

Cracked PCV lines are quite a common problem mate.

Wow. Long time no update!!
    I finally stopped driving the car at the end of 2018, which by that point I was well and truly over the sound of the lifter tick so it came the time to take the car off the road.
    Since then, the fiancée and I moved house, started a family yada yada yada... and we have now finally agreed to put the SV8 back to good use instead of collecting dust in the shed.
    The main motivation? Our current family car (2015 Toyota Aurion Sportivo) goes like the clappers and I miss driving an even faster car.

So to start off with, I had a neighbour and some friends come over to help me remove the engine and transmission at the end of May. It only took 4 hours and it was much easier than I anticipated.
    My original plan was to rip it out on a weekend, slap another stock cam in with a oil pump and new gaskets, then slap it back in the car the following weekend. Genius right?!?!

First off, yours truly posing like a knob while my neighbor rigs the strap around the rear lifting point.

Shortly after that, the engine and transmission were free! The only casualties were the AC Condenser and the power steering hardline to the rack.

My good mate Joe approves! Poor bugger has a broken back and still helped.

By the next day I had stripped everything down that I could while I was waiting for the harmonic balancer tool to arrive. 284k on the engine and it has definitely seen better days.

Some questionable goop that was I found on one of the o2 sensor plugs. There was a metre of tape wrapped around this with much more goop. NFI why.

Problem. Oil pump O ring has a flat spot on one side. It really should be expected after nearly 20 years.

Next problem. Cam bearings are completely FUBAR. Pitted and rusty. I put my inspection camera down the bore and every single bearing was the same as the front one.
    I can't just slap it together and call it done. This definitely needs some TLC!

I spoke my long term friend who runs Langford Automotive. Simon is a wizard with the LS platform and I decided to pull the trigger. Time to rebuild the engine and transmission!
    In the meantime, I took to the filthy parts with some BBQ cleaner- non caustic so it won't corrode the cast aluminum and everything looks brand new afterwards.
    It's the only way I'll ever clean engine parts again. (Don't tell my fiancée the I used the laundry sink as a parts washer!)

I borrowed Joe's trailer and the 36 year old tires let me down on the way home from Hackham. 15 minutes from home. Bugger!
    I bought a new pair of tires the following day and happy days.

The trailer loaded and ready to go. That is my daily bog stock 2010 VE Omega with the 3.0 SIDI engine. Gaaaaaaarbage.

It didn't take long for progress to begin. Transmission went to Nova Automatics and had the following completed.
    All I told them to do was make sure it doesn't turn into a box of neutrals.
    The torque converter is also getting some TLC at Norwood Automatics to raise the stall a few hundred RPM. I decided to stay with the stock stall since I don't want or need a high stall with this cam.

Another box of goodies.
    Crow Cams 871270- 223/228 @0.050" .580"/.584" lift @114 LSA
    GM Performance oil pump, PSI 1511ML valve springs, pushrods, GM cam retainer plate, timing chain, GM valve seals, GM head gaskets etc... I also have another whole box full of new bolts, gaskets and sensors.

The heads and block are currently at Lonsdale Engine Worx too. Crank is getting linished, balanced, bores honed, heads milled etc...
    That's all for now. Stay tuned for more when it happens!

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Welcome back, great work mate.

jc_sv8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 10:59 PM

Congrats on getting her back to ship shape.
    Mine is still my daily after 18 years and now has 162k on the clock.

She’s had a small birthday, but currently lining up a new clutch and gasket kit from the perished seals now leaking.
    I’ve been lucky, not one rattle!
    Still waiting for my mate to get his boss to buy a paint booth for a new lick of paint.

bigfoot is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 19-05-2023 @ 07:28 PM

Looks like a great package there bud!

The heads were decked, valve seats cut, PSI 1511ML springs with new valve stem seals installed and soda blasted too. I'll upload a pic the next time I'm on the computer. That was back on the 14th of September.
    The block FINALLY came back from the machine shop on the 21st of October. Can't say the same for the torque converter so I'm ready to just say F it and buy an aftermarket lockup converter. Hopefully I can find one locally in Adelaide.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by pricey View Post
    The heads were decked, valve seats cut, PSI 1511ML springs with new valve stem seals installed and soda blasted too. I'll upload a pic the next time I'm on the computer. That was back on the 14th of September.
    The block FINALLY came back from the machine shop on the 21st of October. Can't say the same for the torque converter so I'm ready to just say F it and buy an aftermarket lockup converter. Hopefully I can find one locally in Adelaide.
    If you can't I found TCE exceptionally good to deal with. They give you a form to fill out detailing your vehicle and it's modifications etc and then manufacture one to suit the vehicle. Had one of their 2500 stalls in my blown VE for a few years now and love it.

I had a 3500 Dominator Eliminator (lock up) stallie in mine for a short time before I took it off to put my blower on it.

I don't think it is suitable either for the torque of my blower, dynoed with 903nm at around 3,000rpm.

Nothing at all wrong with it but I didn't think it would be suitable with the blower, still sitting in my shed, not sure what to do with it still.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    I had a 3500 Dominator Eliminator (lock up) stallie in mine for a short time before I took it off to put my blower on it.

I don't think it is suitable either for the torque of my blower, dynoed with 903nm at around 3,000rpm.

Nothing at all wrong with it but I didn't think it would be suitable with the blower, still sitting in my shed, not sure what to do with it still.
    I just drive everywhere in third gear in the Calais Ed, it's like a one gear suits all situations type thing lol

Bit of an update.. Car still isn't on the road and I forgot to put pictures on the computer to upload

So since the last post in November, the pistons were in no shape to be used again. The teflon coating on the skirts had worn through and explains the pistons slapping. New Silvolite 3.908" flat top pistons were ordered and arrived in mid January. The rotating assembly is also copping a set of gen 4 rods with floating wrist pins- because cheap upgrade!
    The block went back to the machine shop for a +.0010" hone to suit the new pistons and now the rotating assembly will be balanced too.

STILL NO TORQUE CONVERTER.
    The guy who is supposed to be modifying it closed temporarily due to getting the spicy cough. Unfortunately my family and I also had it mid January but are okay now. Still haven't heard boo from him so who knows.
    I spoke to the main man behind the build Friday last week and the plan is to have everything done and the car running by the end of February now. I can still see the converter not being finished by then

Other than that the only other change that will be made to the car is the diff- we're changing to 3.46:1 gears for now instead of the stock 3.07:1 gears for better acceleration.

Is Richard doing the converter?

The 3.46 is a worthwhile upgrade on a street A4.

Nah, it's a guy named Grant in Norwood. That should be enough info to figure it out
    Not sure who Richard is

I was considering jumping straight to 3.73:1 gears but I do interstate trips to Victoria for holidays/birthdays to see family so I think the 3.46:1 is a good compromise to retain what fuel economy I can.

Yes I know who you are talking about, both of them do good work.

I have 3.46 in mine for the same reason, I have family interstate & often used to drive it over.

Thread Information