Thread: Lights Remote Controlled By Phone?

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 12:49 AM

Lights Remote Controlled By Phone?

For the times we go away I'd like the ability to turn off and on a few lights using my phone. Whilst I'm OK with using my Android (S9) phone for all sorts, this sort of home automation stuff is new to me. I've done some Googling but it tends to have muddied the waters instead of clarifying things...........

Once I get a bit more of a feel for what is possible I may jump into it further, but at the moment just need something simple like plugs you can insert in normal power points and use them to remotely switch plug in lights on and off (if I understand correctly). I've read contradictory reports on what's good and what's not so coming here to hear from those with the knowledge already.

TIA,
    Gaz

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 08:30 AM

Re: Lights Remote Controlled By Phone?

I looked in to them a while ago and the Sengled ones seemed best to me. They're a smart globe so just replaces your existing globes and connects back to a hub which connects to your WiFi. You can then control them thru the app, Google home or other assistants if you wanted to. Can also add on wireless speakers, or they offer globes with wifi repeaters in them so you can reduce dead spots in your house. They also do security light globes with cameras built in.

Can get them from Bunnings or direct from www.sengled.com.au
    $129 for the hub and 2 globes. The hub can control up to 50 globes and extra globes are about $20 each.

Otherwise the Philips or LIFX look ok as well

Toddler78 is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 21-04-2024 @ 10:22 PM

Hey Wonks,

I have two options in my home.

Option 1 I have a Belkin Wemo Switch, this plugs into a power point and then you plug the appliance into that. so therefore you can plug in any appliance.
    I have it set up for my coffee machine, I can set a on/off timer for different days which will stay the same until you change it. (Which is what I use, I have my coffee machine turn on at 5am so it is warm and operational by the time I get out the shower, and then turns off at 8am - only reason for the is sometimes I have a later start).

Option 2 is I have Lightify globes in light sockets, you need to buy a Hub as well, which just plugs into any power point and then operates off its own wifi. You then download the app onto your phone and can operate on and off via phone (or believe you can schedule on/off times- although I have never needed to). I have a couple of dieerent globes. I have one RGB colour changing globe for the kids bedroom, this is set up so that they have a normal light during the day, however at night when they sleep they like the light to be a deep blue (night light) you can also adjust the brightness of the globes via the app. I also have normal white globes that allow either cool or warm white light, also with dimming function.

With the colour ones you can schedule a setting where the colour and brightness change, this is to simulate the reflection in a room of having a TV on.

Edit: I just looked at the app and you can schedule on off times for the globes.
    I don't know with either option whether you can operate whilst away from home via 4G as I have never had the need to, however I have a feeling you can.

Both options were purchased from bunnings.

From memory the WEMO switch was $59 (although I have a feeling now these have been discontinued)
    the lightly hub was $69 from memory - sorry can't find it on bunnings website.
    globes were $20 each for white and $25 each for colour Link below
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/osram-10...white_p4340440

I couldn't justify spending $200 on Phillips Hue or other systems for what Wanted to use them for,

You can still use the globes and normal switch like any other globe, but to get the smart functionality out of them you need the switch in the powered position (obviously) this is what led me to the cheaper path as no one could tell me with confidence whether you could still use them like normal lights with normal wall switch, which is exactly how the kids use them.
    Last edited by Toddler78; 18-04-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    I'm not a hoon, I'm just competitive

Toddler78 is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 21-04-2024 @ 10:22 PM

Last edited by whitels1ss; 18-04-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Removed phone signature

From the above photos attached
    1. Lightify hub located in laundry
    2. Wemo switch the biitton on it is a manual on off switch if you want to operated without app
    E
    3. Is one of the led globes in kids room.
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 18-04-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: removed phone signature

CLUBRED is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 28-09-2021 @ 09:02 AM

I'd research who has the most user friendly app. I mostly deal in commercial lighting control and not really up to date with resi stuff, but I've seen a few systems like the TP-Link ones, but they all seem to do the same thing. I'd recommend something app based, over a system that needs a hub - I just prefer to simplify.

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 12:49 AM

Thanks guys! I looked into the Senglo ones white lie recommended and even on their website they're out of stock, as are Bunnings stores.

Will go out looking at JB, Officeworks and Bunnings tomorrow (all close together just down the road).

macca_779 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 05:50 PM

Lights Remote Controlled By Phone?

Philips hue is the best. Best light, best control. But you pay for it. I’ve done my whole house in them so about $1000 worth including wireless switches for the old farts. HomeKit integration was important to me too

Thread Information