Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercharger for VFSS

Tre-Cool is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 12:01 AM

Re: Supercharger for VFSS

for the average bloke with a blown car, your not gonna kill a stock 6l80e in a hurry.

So much so, i use them for conversions in other cars/models with an aftermarket controller.
    It's happened before, It will all happen again.

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Very expensive Gaz?
    Not sure Mick. Seem to remember hearing a figure of $8k, but could be imagining things.

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 08:30 AM

Quote Originally Posted by scotty82 View Post
    I was thinking of 6L90E too a while ago...
    Some things I found were;
    The 6L90E is longer than a 6L80E. So a tailshaft mod is required.
    A new gearbox crossmember is required.
    6L90E torque converter has a higher stall rpm. It is also a 6 bolt flex plate vs a 3 bolt
    Software update is required in the tune for a different TCM within the gearbox vs a 6L80E.

Talking to a few Auto builders... the 6L90E isn’t bulletproof. Plenty have gone kaboom and sifting for gold in the trans pan. Yes they are better but still will eventually fail or need a freshen up with big HP and abuse.

The 4L80E is a stronger box. My bro is bolting one up to a LSX454 in a HK. Beauty of the 4L80E vs a TH400 is that you get a strong box with an overdrive. Great for cruising and getting the RPM down so the motor isn’t revving it’s guts out on the highway.
    I think the biggest issue is "tuners" not knowing what they're doing with them. Seen loads of cars with the pressures jacked right up and the lockup removed, why I don't know!

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by white lie View Post
    I think the biggest issue is "tuners" not knowing what they're doing with them. Seen loads of cars with the pressures jacked right up and the lockup removed, why I don't know!
    Basically because that's what the ignorant used to do with earlier, far less complex boxes so more of the same. Unfortunately the 6L80 is a far more complex beast in which every adjustment affects at least one other parameter so is the quickest way to kill it. I only trust mine to Luis, the A6 guru.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 17-04-2024 @ 06:00 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
    Basically because that's what the ignorant used to do with earlier, far less complex boxes so more of the same. Unfortunately the 6L80 is a far more complex beast in which every adjustment affects at least one other parameter so is the quickest way to kill it. I only trust mine to Luis, the A6 guru.
    You give me hope Wonky. Mine has been tuned by Brad at Enhanced prior to any mods and is actually a far nicer box now than it was when i first purchased the car.

izaks is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 09-04-2024 @ 07:53 AM

Whipple 2.9 Front feed kit for the Chev SS - made 600rwhp with exhaust and cam on pump fuel (at 5,500ft asl)
    Perfect fit and comes with everything, including injectors, thermostat on performance air filter
    2011 SSV 418 LS3 Whipple 2.9L S/C 3" exh 6L90E CF prop Wavetrac PPV strts CTSV brks Billstein shks

HOLDAN is online now Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 17-04-2024 @ 06:53 AM

Quote Originally Posted by izaks View Post
    Whipple 2.9 Front feed kit for the Chev SS - made 600rwhp with exhaust and cam on pump fuel (at 5,500ft asl)
    Perfect fit and comes with everything, including injectors, thermostat on performance air filter
    How much for this setup?

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 08:30 AM

The kit used to be around the $12-13k mark, may have changed. Contact Yella Terra.
    They're rear fed though, not sure who makes the front feed version and if they're easily available here or if it's a US thing if he's talking Chevy SS.

sportwagon is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 26-12-2023 @ 01:20 PM

I enquired at a well known workshop here in Perth and was told that the front entry whipple supplied fitted and tuned was about $18000 a harrop 2600 about $13500 and lsa blower $12000.

BLACKVE is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 23-03-2023 @ 08:02 PM

for those in Adelaide Old willall guys
    Attached Images Attached Images
    239/247 goodness............

HOLDAN is online now Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 17-04-2024 @ 06:53 AM

Hi guys

Is it legal in Qld for a blower to protrude through the bonnet.

Regards Dan
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 30-10-2019 at 09:38 PM. Reason: merged threads

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 17-04-2024 @ 06:47 AM

I can't imagine it being legal on any later model car.

It is hard enough getting something stealth & mild legally approved in most states.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 17-04-2024 @ 06:00 AM

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    I can't imagine it being legal on any later model car.

It is hard enough getting something stealth & mild legally approved in most states.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Hard to find any straight forward legislation in any state of Australia, but bottom line is if you get defected I doubt the car will meet the emission requirements and on top of that would need to be engineered to have a blower (I assume you are talking about a VF that did not come factory fitted with a blower). I went to all manner of effort to keep mine hidden.

You can't have any moving parts unguarded so if the pulley was the highest part, it would need a guard of some sort around it. If its just the case of the blower then it can't pose a further risk to injury should someone end up on your bonnet.
    There's also rules about affecting your field of vision but I'm assuming you're talking about a late gen car with modern tech blower, not some tall stacked 6/71.

But as the other guys are saying, even if it is legal, you've still got a massive "pull me over and defect me" sign on the front of the car. Best off just putting a cowl on it if it can't fit under the bonnet.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Hard to find any straight forward legislation in any state of Australia, but bottom line is if you get defected I doubt the car will meet the emission requirements and on top of that would need to be engineered to have a blower (I assume you are talking about a VF that did not come factory fitted with a blower). I went to all manner of effort to keep mine hidden.
    Yes I'm referring to my VF that did not come with a factory fitted blower

Thread Information