Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercharger for VFSS

HOLDAN is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 14-03-2024 @ 02:36 PM

Re: Supercharger for VFSS

Quote Originally Posted by white lie View Post
    You can't have any moving parts unguarded so if the pulley was the highest part, it would need a guard of some sort around it. If its just the case of the blower then it can't pose a further risk to injury should someone end up on your bonnet.
    There's also rules about affecting your field of vision but I'm assuming you're talking about a late gen car with modern tech blower, not some tall stacked 6/71.

But as the other guys are saying, even if it is legal, you've still got a massive "pull me over and defect me" sign on the front of the car. Best off just putting a cowl on it if it can't fit under the bonnet.
    Thanks for this - I certainly don't want too much unwarranted attention

HOLDAN is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 14-03-2024 @ 02:36 PM

Good morning

I'm planning my next power adding journey, following a tumultuous 10 year journey with my VESS. I haven't decided which direction yet - blower or twin turbo and I'm not in too much of a hurry - the car has only done 20,000k's. I'd like to run up a few more km's before swapping out the internals.

For now though, I'd like to upgrade the exhaust. I had a 3" on my VESS and I was never happy with the drone at 1,800rpm - drove me nuts. So I do not want a repeat of that.

What suggestions do you have please

Regards, Dan
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 10-11-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Merged thread so everyone knows the details of the car so it makes it easier to give relative ideas.

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 10:31 PM

Quote Originally Posted by HOLDAN View Post
    Good morning

I'm planning my next power adding journey,

I haven't decided which direction yet - blower or twin turbo

For now though, I'd like to upgrade the exhaust.

I had a 3" on my VESS and I was never happy with the drone at 1,800rpm - drove me nuts. So I do not want a repeat of that.

and I'm not in too much of a hurry - the car has only done 20,000k's.

What suggestions do you have please

Regards, Dan
    (I have merged this into the same thread in case anyone doesn't know about your car so it makes it more simple for people to know the details of what sort of car

& stuff you are talking about without hopefully repeating questions about it which you have previously answered in another thread about the same car.)

I would not change the exhaust until you are certain which way you are going with forced induction.

Obviously there is no point spending money on extractors if you are fitting turbos

& when you fit a PD blower the car will sound much different & much louder to being naturally aspirated.

When I fitted my blower one of the first things I noticed was that it made it sound much louder & even the cam sounded more angry at idle.

My advice would be to do heaps of homework before spending any money doing anything.
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 10-11-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    (I have merged this into the same thread in case anyone doesn't know about your car so it makes it more simple for people to know the details of what sort of car

& stuff you are talking about without hopefully repeating questions about it which you have previously answered in another thread about the same car.)

I would not change the exhaust until you are certain which way you are going with forced induction.

Obviously there is no point spending money on extractors if you are fitting turbos

& when you fit a PD blower the car will sound much different & much louder to being naturally aspirated.

When I fitted my blower one of the first things I noticed was that it made it sound much louder & even the cam sounded more angry at idle.

My advice would be to do heaps of homework before spending any money doing anything.
    Thanks for your post.

I agree with doing my homework - I think I was a little hasty when I built the VE although a lot of what we did had not been done before so there was a fair bit of experimenting. And then changing as more parts became available and more knowledge was gained.

My biggest mistake with the VE was sticking with the 6L80E gearbox. I had some stupid notion that I needed to keep that box because I towed a ski boat. I dropped 10 large on the poxy thing and still broke it. However in saying that, I still require a gearbox with an overdrive because I use the car for long trips - any suggestions??

So I would replace the gearbox and also replace the diff - I had a 9" strange and wavetrac centre.

I think it's best if the car is a daily driven street car to keep it mild,
    it's not hard to set up a package with a PD blower like a Harrop FIFD2300 to run low eleven second quarter miles (perhaps even into the ten's)
    that will be quite reliable, still drive with good manners & return reasonable fuel economy that doesn't attract any attention
    from the boys in blue whenever you drive it.

The more you turn up the wick after that the more all those things suffer

but it all depends on what you want to get out of your car & how you plan on using it as to how far you want to go.

Unfortunately though as Jeremy Clarkson says "there is no such thing as enough power."

I think it's best if the car is a daily driven street car to keep it mild,
    it's not hard to set up a package with a PD blower like a Harrop FIFD2300 to run low eleven second quarter miles (perhaps even into the ten's)
    that will be quite reliable, still drive with good manners & return reasonable fuel economy that doesn't attract any attention
    from the boys in blue whenever you drive it.

The more you turn up the wick after that the more all those things suffer

but it all depends on what you want to get out of your car & how you plan on using it as to how far you want to go.

Unfortunately though as Jeremy Clarkson says "there is no such thing as enough power."
    Low 11's high 10's would suit me perfectly. It is a daily driver (although I haven't been driving it much this year but that will change next year).

I like the PD blower option. What gearbox would you suggest?

As long as you don't push too much out of it you should be able to keep the original gearbox (obviously will need a tune)

but you would most likely find that a truetrac diff centre would make it stay more in a straight line when you break traction.

As long as you don't push too much out of it you should be able to keep the original gearbox (obviously will need a tune)

but you would most likely find that a truetrac diff centre would make it stay more in a straight line when you break traction.
    Mmmmmm - ok. My VE NA made 550hp at the wheels and the 6L80E did not cope. Even with a total re-build with heaps of tough goodies and $10k

I broke a tru trac so I went 9" strange and wave trac

I broke a tru trac so I went 9" strange and wave trac
    I don't think you should break a truetrac with an under 500RWKW daily driver street package in an auto

unless you have a big stallie with sticky tires at a drag strip.

Plenty of people are using them.

Mmmmmm - ok. My VE NA made 550hp at the wheels and the 6L80E did not cope.
    Even with a total re-build with heaps of tough goodies and $10k
    I don't know anything about the other NA car Dan but it doesn't sound like it would have delivered the power in the same way as a PD blower.

I don't know anything about the other NA car Dan but it doesn't sound like it would have delivered the power in the same way as a PD blower.
    It was a 407 stroker with a 2,800rpm custom TCE stallie.

I haven't been in a blown car but I like the idea of the instant power delivery and the whine of the pulley

It was a 407 stroker with a 2,800rpm custom TCE stallie.
    Yeah, that could be quite harsh on a transmission if you had sticky tires & got a bit of traction.

Thread Information