Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercharger for VFSS

HOLDAN is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 14-03-2024 @ 02:36 PM

Re: Supercharger for VFSS

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    Yeah, that could be quite harsh on a transmission if you had sticky tires & got a bit of traction.
    Yes - I broke the trutrac at willowbank - first time I ever tried stalling it up at the start, leapt off the line, broke traction, hit the limiter, and onto the tow truck

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 10:31 PM

Quote Originally Posted by HOLDAN View Post
    Yes - I broke the trutrac at willowbank - first time I ever tried stalling it up at the start,
    leapt off the line, broke traction, hit the limiter, and onto the tow truck
    That surprises me, they normally are stronger than that.

(I would actually expect the transmission would have failed before the truetrac. )

I haven't been in a blown car but I like the idea of the instant power delivery and the whine of the pulley
    Should see if someone local can give you a ride, perhaps even talk to Mark at Powertorque, he may be able to arrange something?

It certainly hooks you in.

HOLDAN is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 14-03-2024 @ 02:36 PM

Should see if someone local can give you a ride, perhaps even talk to Mark at Powertorque, he may be able to arrange something?

It certainly hooks you in.
    Good idea - thanks

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

My advice would be to do heaps of homework before spending any money doing anything.
    Absolutely! Very expensive to make the wrong choice.

As far as exhausts go, the choice seems much more limited now. I have had 3 full 3" KPM systems on my 3 VEs and have been very happy with them - basically no drone even on an A6. The Senator system is one of their slightly cheaper SLC systems but still sounds OK. Unfortunately KPM systems no longer made. My next choice would have been Di Filippo but they've been bought out by Manta and I've heard comments on Manta systems droning - not sure how true. The other choices used to be HM (out of business) and Harrop but I'm not sure who is making them now or even if they're still available.

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

Mmmmmm - ok. My VE NA made 550hp at the wheels and the 6L80E did not cope. Even with a total re-build with heaps of tough goodies and $10k
    Choices are built 6L80 although as you discovered they're still quite breakable, 6L90 but have heard conflicting stories on how well they hold up. 4L80 - see http://www.streetquick.com.au/lsx-pe...ssion-upgrades Only available in WA but I'm sure Powertorque or someone there can do similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
    Absolutely! Very expensive to make the wrong choice.

As far as exhausts go, the choice seems much more limited now........
    In my post I was really meaning to say that if Dan is thinking of going turbo, (instead of a PD blower,) fitting extractors now would be a total waste of money

& on a VF if you do extractors & cats etc it would need a tune & that's a waste of money as it will need another tune in a couple of months for the forced induction.
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 11-11-2019 at 06:09 PM.

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 05-10-2023 @ 11:01 AM

My next choice would have been Di Filippo but they've been bought out by Manta and I've heard comments on Manta systems droning - not sure how true. The other choices used to be HM (out of business) and Harrop but I'm not sure who is making them now or even if they're still available.
    I believe Manta still build the DPE version, not just their own.

I went with Manta around 7-8 years ago when DF stopped making them locally and the quality control went down the gurgler. No regrets, its the best sounding system I've ever owned, no drone and loud when you're giving it grief.

I would go with Manta or Empire Performance personally but Harrop do make one (pretty sure they're cheaper than the Manta equivalent too).

I've heard a few references to Empire recently. How long have they been around?

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

Magnaflow are another to consider. Heard their twin 3 on a VE at Enhanced Auto, it sounded killer. I have since bought one and now waiting to have it installed.

white lie is offline Considerable Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 05-10-2023 @ 11:01 AM

I've heard a few references to Empire recently. How long have they been around?
    Not that long compared to the others. Aussie owned, WA based, like Manta.

One thing worth noting is that the more expensive systems from Manta and Empire use 304 grade stainless where Harrop, Xforce etc use 409, so be sure to compare apples with apples, not just "Oh they're all stainless". The 304 will comfortably last 10+ years (Manta even offer a 10 year warranty on their stainless systems).
    Last edited by white lie; 12-11-2019 at 01:48 PM.

I actually recently replaced a "Redback" mild steel exhaust that I fitted 12 years ago because it was just starting to get a few rusty pin holes in it.

When I bought it I thought it would have only lasted about 5 years & I didn't expect to keep the car that long anyway.

& BTW it's since had a couple of patches put on to it & now gone onto a mate's car.
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 18-11-2019 at 11:28 AM.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 09:53 PM

I actually recently replaced a "Redback" mild steel exhaust that I fitted 12 years ago because it was just starting to get a few rusty pin holes in it.

When I bought it I thought it would have only lasted about 5 years & I didn't expect to keep the car that long anyway.

& BTW it's since had a couple of patches put on to it & now gone onto a mate's car.
    Yeah, I cannot see the justification for the super expensive stainless, unless you are parking your car in the surf.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Ive had some ms zorsts fitted to previous LS's that lasted six month past the warranty! So I pay a few bucks more now & forget about them, but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Ive had some ms zorsts fitted to previous LS's that lasted six month past the warranty! So I pay a few bucks more now & forget about them, but each to their own.
    Some are better quality than others Mick

The old "Redback" is Australian made out of Australian steel & lasts quite well but I know there is also plenty of cheap crap on the market.

Thread Information