Thread: Professional Tire Fitment, Melbourne.

Pickles is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 25-04-2024 @ 09:48 AM

Professional Tire Fitment, Melbourne.

Many years ago, probably around 2007, when we owned our VZ GTO, I was looking for a place to replace the P Zeros. I asked for recommendations on THIS forum, and a forum member said, & I quote "If you go to John Souvas, He will treat your rims like his own", which turned out to be 100% correct, & whilst We had the GTO, we always went to John for tires.
    Haven't had the need for tires for one reason or another since then, but recently the GTSR required tires, so caught up with John again, and He & his boys did a beautiful careful job of replacing the Contis.
    Ya here so many stories about improper jack use, rim damage etc, cars being driven etc, it's good to find a person who does treat other people's goods, "like their own".
    A VERY good recommendation from this Forum, all those years ago.
    Pickles.

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 25-04-2024 @ 11:56 PM

Re: Professional Tire Fitment, Melbourne.

How did you find the wear & lifespan of the tires on the GTSR Martin?

amckiwi is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 25-04-2024 @ 08:05 PM

I agree with what you wrote and miss the guy
    I asked for a recommendation and ended up going to a place in a new estate of Ballarat Road
    They marked one of the rims they took off looked like it had fallen on the face of it
    They never confessed and I only found out when I got home so if you find that old thread ignore the advice
    I only do 5 k a year on the Ute so seldom need a tyre fitter although since recent upgrades on the Ute the tyres might not last so long
    Red Hot M6 VE SS Ute. Curves yes please on my women and my road.

VXSS346 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 25-04-2024 @ 11:33 AM

Great news. I didn't even know John was back in the tyre business again, I used him a few times too back in the day.

Are you able to post or PM his contact details please?

Pickles is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 25-04-2024 @ 09:48 AM

Quote Originally Posted by VXSS346 View Post
    Great news. I didn't even know John was back in the tyre business again, I used him a few times too back in the day.

Are you able to post or PM his contact details please?
    Not a problem at all, happy to recommend John to anyone that wants a quality, professional job.
    John Souvas is now the manager of Donnellans Prahran, 58 Porter St Prahran. ph 9510 3199. Tell John, Martin Hayden (GTSR) recommended you call.
    The location is pretty good, because it's just around the corner from the Prahran Market/shopping center etc,...so Wifey was pretty happy, plenty of shops to look at, & places to grab a bite to eat.
    But, like I said, with all the terrible stories one hears about rim & car damage, it's good to know a tire "expert" who knows exactly what He's doing.
    Let me know how you go.
    Regards, Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    How did you find the wear & lifespan of the tires on the GTSR Martin?
    Sorry my friend, I just noticed your question.
    I got just over 15ks on the Contis, front were about 20% left, but worn on insides, rears were not totally bald, worn evenly across the tread, but down to the markers, so a "conscientious" Mr Plod mightn't have been too impressed.
    So,..15K?..Not too impressed with that, but most of our driving is done cruising around at around 100ks on trips etc, and I remember someone said to me years ago that this type of driving causes these sorts of tires to wear more rapidly than they would if just being driven around the city, stop/start, city traffic etc?...Don't know whether this is true or not, but certainly no hard driving from me, apart from getting away from the lights smartly when I can!
    Pickles.

R8HSVHRT is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 25-04-2024 @ 07:34 PM

Wow good to have John back thats where im going with all my stuff now
    You wont get mucked around by him thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by R8HSVHRT View Post
    Wow good to have John back thats where im going with all my stuff now
    You wont get mucked around by him thats for sure
    Spot on.
    I'm glad there have been quite a few likes for this thread. I've definitely appreciated the original recommendation that I got for John, from this forum, all those years ago.
    The other thing I would say, is that when I get a recommendation, or use one of my contacts, I NEVER ask for a price. I find that the decent guys are always reasonable, & if I want the BEST job, and I definitely do, and therefore extra care & time has to be taken by the person/company, why should I try to screw them down on price, so I don't do that.
    Just my thoughts, works for me. Pickles.

VXSS346 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 25-04-2024 @ 11:33 AM

Thread dig here,

It seems John's store no longer exists, does anyone have any idea if he has moved or is still in the tyre business?

Thanks.

amckiwi is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 25-04-2024 @ 08:05 PM

I need some tires soon also so await responses with interest

Yes, I knew the Prahran shop was closing, the last I heard, John had transferred to another Donnelan's Shop, you could try their Balwyn or Blackburn shops. If He's still working for Donnelans, that'd be the first place to start IMHO. Let us know what you find out,....it'd be worthwhile, because John's done a few tire changes for me, & He is SO careful,..."treats your rims like his own" I was told on my initial recommendation I got from a member of this forum, & that was absolutely what He does.
    Pickles.
    Last edited by Pickles; 28-04-2023 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Yes, I knew the Prahran shop was closing, the last I heard, John had transferred to another Donnelan's Shop, you could try their Balwyn or Blackburn shops. If He's still working for Donnelans, that'd be the first place to start IMHO. Let us know what you find out,....it'd be worthwhile, because John's done a few tire changes for me, & He is SO careful,..."treats your rims like his own" I was told on my initial recommendation I got from a member of this forum, & that was absolutely what He does.
    Pickles.
    Thanks mate, you are correct, I found him.
    For everyone information, he is now at Donnellans Blackburn, 1 Alfred street. 3130.

https://www.donnellans.com.au/contac...tore-blackburn

Quote Originally Posted by VXSS346 View Post
    Thanks mate, you are correct, I found him.
    For everyone information, he is now at Donnellans Blackburn, 1 Alfred street. 3130.

https://www.donnellans.com.au/contac...tore-blackburn
    Well that's very good news, because one hears some terrible stories about tire shops, ....damaging cars by incorrect placing on hoist, rims scraped etc etc,.....but if John does your tires, you'll have none of these issues.
    Pickles.

Just visited there today
    John was on holidays but I figured his staff would be ok without him
    I was pretty happy with the price as well

Thread Information