Thread: The daily motomk

motomk is offline Da Knife Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 01:49 AM

The daily motomk

Needed to give the ute a rest as the kms were piling up on it and it is a keeper, as it is a bit rare. The other sedan in the stable is a garage queen and only comes out on special occasions!

I bought this about a year ago, reasoning was I had quite a few spares left over from the previous Black one I used to own a couple of years ago.
    I also passed on the Redline and Calais version of the same car as they both have sunroofs, Something I fear I will have to get used to, as all cars seem to now include them as standard.
    Yes, another 2016 MY16 VFII SS-V Holden Commodore, it is a 6 speed Automatic.

On the test drive in the rain, not ideal, noticed the brakes were average so that was top of the list to fix.
    When I got it home, jacked it up and gave it a mini-service and replaced the brakes with some I had removed from the black car I used to own, the single piston Holden upgrade version. Surprisingly they are quite good. I do have some Brembos to go on if I don't like them.

Oil was changed over, the service book was a bit empty since the car was originally a Holden owned car.

Also as I had loads of spare wheels, swapped over a better set with less kerb-rash on them. A few days later it had a wash and it was ready for action.

Next mod were the paddles on the steering wheel. Drove out to Ballarat, about 100km away and had Matt at LsXtreme fit them and adjust the computer for them. Brand new steering wheel and some paddles.

The air filter and intake were very dirty. Gave them a clean, Car went even better afterwards.
    Not sure if it has a tune in or not, but I reckon it goes better than the ute.

Suspension next , I do have loads of springs left over from the old car and trying to work out the best compromise for ride and height I am comfortable with. Decided to use some Redline rear springs only, as this is the only difference I can work out between a Redline and an SSV re springs. The fronts are the same.
    Fitting them became a 3 day job! I had fitted 2 sets to my other cars in the past so I half knew what I was doing. When I was trying to put the bolt into the upright from the lower suspension arm I realised I was in trouble. I worked out that the upright was not going to move enough to allow the bolt to fit. I was convinced the upright or the Lower suspension arm was bent. Looked at it for 2 hours undoing other suspension bolts to allow the upright to move all for no result. (some people may have spotted the error) I hadn't, so gave up and slept on it. It was the right of these 2 bolts that I had difficulty with.

Had to leave its friends outside that night!

Next day undid more bolts convincing myself it was alright, it was just the car and not bent suspension. After another 3 hours, the lightbulb moment happened, grrrrrrrr &*^(&^&*^& idiot had forgot to release the handbrake. Then the bolt easily fitted. On a similar line I then couldn't get the caliper to go back on, that took another hour before I realised I had pressed the brakes with the caliper off the car so the piston needed pushing back in. Did the other side the next day in about 2 and half hours.
    It doesn't look much lower, lowered about 15-20mm only but it looks better than it used to and I like it. A Redline from work parked next to it one night.

Next on the list....Do I Redline it some more or leave it as is? Brembos and the Black wheels.....mmm....

Maybe give the ute a good bath instead. Gratuitous Ute shot!

Don't ask how many VFII's I've owned or how many I own....I was subsidizing Holden in the last few years!!

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 29-03-2024 @ 04:58 PM

Re: The daily motomk

Your garage looks great !

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

When I bought my ssv ute also thougt the oem brakes were ordinary. Put the big Harrops on made a huge difference.
    Our Calais has the larger Cal $350 front upgrade & it stops reasonably well.

Just waiting for the current situation to sort itself out, then I can Redline the SSV.

Some gratuitous pictures of visitors to the motomk garage, in the last few months. Ok not the last 2 months, as it is a bit quiet on that front!
    I just stand around and point and make silly faces, sometimes I'll help! hired hand.

Fellow at works Alfa Wagon in for some door hinge issue, to stop it cutting his legs off at the knees when he gets out of it!

Friends 1990 Corvette C4 "Red Arrow" having the slide pins on the brakes greased up and the radiator drain tightened.

And his other car, "Red Rocket" in for an oil change. Yes, its one of those new Chevy Silverado's or something like that!

^^^^^^ The red ones look nice!

Into Dry Dock it goes! Everything else moved outside. Decided to fit the new brakes myself. Gave it an oil change whilst I was there to.
    I won't say how long it took, but I was driving the other two for a few days/weeks!

Old brakes off, pads were quite low. Looked them up for new ones and they were only $70.

On with the new stuff. Brembos.

Trimmed the dust shields on the back brakes. Sanded them down and painted them afterwards.

Bled the brakes myself, had it done elsewhere afterwards although I think my effort was just as good.

Brakes with the original wheels.

With the Redline wheels for the complete transformation.

Think this one is post being clayed by my friend with the Camaro.

And in the country or semi-country in a well known place for Ford fans.

Although it might be from the opposite direction from looking it up online.

Had to drive its friends to work that week, parked next to one of those new Fiesta ST's.
    Can't have too many Ute shots!

Great pictures!

Thread Information