Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Holden in the Family :)

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 06:02 PM

Re: Another Holden in the Family :)

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Rod my fat Lady Crewie at times does 19-21L/100 around town cam+tune. Highway is a low as 8L/100 though.
    What plug gap do you run in the Crewie Mick? I did the plugs on the ute a while back and set the plugs to 1.5 same as what I do with the Calais. Everything I read on the net says around 1.1, have I gone too big on what is essentially a stocker (except for full exhaust)? Just trying to eliminate possible causes for the fuel consumption. I will give the MAF a good clean with contact cleaner also prior rushing into changing 02 sensors. My latest test at the bowser returned 17l/100, and that was nursing it (ie not going over 2k most of the time).

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    What plug gap do you run in the Crewie Mick? I did the plugs on the ute a while back and set the plugs to 1.5 same as what I do with the Calais. Everything I read on the net says around 1.1, have I gone too big on what is essentially a stocker (except for full exhaust)? Just trying to eliminate possible causes for the fuel consumption. I will give the MAF a good clean with contact cleaner also prior rushing into changing 02 sensors. My latest test at the bowser returned 17l/100, and that was nursing it (ie not going over 2k most of the time).
    Rod I previously had Bosch plugs, but recently fitted the OEM Iridium plugs & yes I set them at 1.5mm. The high energy ignition coils tend to open your plug gaps over time, so a good idea to pull em out occasionally & re gap them.

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 06:54 PM

I use NGK TR6 with a 1.5 gap, my last set were in there for 12 years without any problems.

But I would doubt it even did 40,000kms in that time

Hey Rod, how's it going?

Any updates?

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 06:02 PM

Going great Ed but no significant updates. It is nice to have no oil leaks though, that is for sure. I have taken to driving it everywhere with the power button activated also, so much nicer to drive compared to having it off. I am going to do some fuel consumption testing to see if it uses much more fuel with it on. What is the power button supposed to do in these 4 speeds? Does it just change the shift points? It actually feels like a totally different car when you put it on, night and day.

VXSS346 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 01:28 PM

Going great Ed but no significant updates. It is nice to have no oil leaks though, that is for sure. I have taken to driving it everywhere with the power button activated also, so much nicer to drive compared to having it off. I am going to do some fuel consumption testing to see if it uses much more fuel with it on. What is the power button supposed to do in these 4 speeds? Does it just change the shift points? It actually feels like a totally different car when you put it on, night and day.
    Just shift points, upshift and downshift speeds. I think it also alters the firmness of the shifts. (line pressure?)

I guess we're all different, I never use pwr, Just seems to free rev too much and become breathless on light throttle openings. I just prefer the earlier upshifts do I can drive it off the torque.

Quote Originally Posted by VXSS346 View Post
    Just shift points, upshift and downshift speeds. I think it also alters the firmness of the shifts. (line pressure?)

I guess we're all different, I never use pwr, Just seems to free rev too much and become breathless on light throttle openings. I just prefer the earlier upshifts do I can drive it off the torque.
    Ok, thanks for the reply. Mine feels like it has no throttle response when power mode is off, like it is just constantly laboring in to high a gear, reminds me of driving my wifes old Rex, you hit the throttle in the wrong gear and it just bogs down.

What is the power button supposed to do in these 4 speeds?
    Does it just change the shift points? It actually feels like a totally different car when you put it on, night and day.
    Good it is going well, parkers sorted yet?

Yeah changes shift points, kickdown, downshifts etc.

Easiest way to see the difference is foot flat in second to third gear change
    & you will notice a reasonable speed difference between power on and off.
    Pity first gear is too short to see much difference as the 2-3 shift will see you well over the state speed limit.

On mine any time it is in power mode it spins the tires into second & on full throttle it spins into 3rd gear also (@ 135kmh) but softer shifts with it off.
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 26-11-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Ok, thanks for the reply. Mine feels like it has no throttle response when power mode is off, like it is just constantly laboring in to high a gear, reminds me of driving my wifes old Rex, you hit the throttle in the wrong gear and it just bogs down.
    You should fit 3.46 diff gears & get a tune.

Mine was actually better on fuel as a daily around town with the 3.46 & it was heaps more lively to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    You should fit 3.46 diff gears & get a tune.

Mine was actually better on fuel as a daily around town with the 3.46 & it was heaps more lively to drive.
    Yeah, I can see that in it's future Ed.

And have forgotten about the parkers for now Ed. Still considering changing back to the Holden front down the track also.

You should be able to buy a used diff cheap enough if you keep your eyes open.

Another annoying issue has come up with it. The battery light came on on Sunday arvo. It started out coming on a few minutes into a drive and now it pretty much comes up instantly. It has a brand new alternator, and the diagnostic mode in the cars trip computer says it is charging at about 13.7 volts. The battery was pretty old, so went and bought a brand new Century battery, did SFA, the light remains. Maybe faulty alternator? No symptoms at this stage though. Have driven it about 60km today with the old battery in and it didn't miss a beat.

Not sure, maybe just a bad earth

but I am sure an auto electrician will find the problem easy.

I would start by cleaning the battery terminals & earth strap.

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    Not sure, maybe just a bad earth

but I am sure an auto electrician will find the problem easy.

I would start by cleaning the battery terminals & earth strap.
    Has brand new terminals Ed, but I will take them off again check that they are getting a good connection. They are bolt on.

I would go and see a sparky, they should find the problem quickly.

Thread Information