Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Holden in the Family :)

BLACK 346 is online now One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 09:34 PM

Re: Another Holden in the Family :)

Makes 1k look like really good value for the whole set.

BLACK 346 is online now One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 09:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
    I've used the Penrite semi syn 10/40 in my LS1 in my 2004 Monaro practically since new - it now has 105,00- k's on it (so not really high mileage). I've never heard/had any lifter noise. I do an oil & filter change every 5,000 k's (basically annually) & every second change ie every 10,000 k's, I run some Repco engine flush through it for 10 mins before dropping the oil. Just before the 100,000 service last year, I used the Nulon "Lifter Free/Tune Up" ?? - just in case there were any hard deposits etc that might have built up over the years. I did about 1,000 k's travel (mainly city driving) & then dumped the oil - which came out a fraction darker than normal (at least I thought so). Engine is as quiet as a mouse at start up & when hot.
    Thanks Peter, sounds like I am on the right track. Interestingly when I cold started it this morning there was zero lifter noise at idle, but when I took off it rattled a bit for about 15 seconds and then went quiet again. Not perfect but a massive improvement compared to previous oil.

Took a punt and picked up the brakes this arvo, got them for $900 (Less than the wreckers want for one of those front calipers). I don't reckon I will even get the rotors skimmed, just give them a good clean. Any tips for removing surface rust off the rotors? Give them a good hit with brake cleaner and let the pads do the rest?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Rod just a wire brush & new pads should be sweet. I don't like that dimpled rotor shit, but just wear them out for now. A set of braided lines will improve those too. Any consolation I paid about the same coin s/h about a decade ago from another member here.
    Last edited by Micks; 24-12-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Rod just a wire brush & new pads should be sweet. I don't like that dimpled rotor shit, but just wear them out for now. A set of braided lines will improve those too. Any consolation I paid about the same coin s/h about a decade ago from another member here.
    Cheers Mick, and yes I am not a fan of the drilled/dimpled rotors either, prefer just slotted. I will however as yous say clean them up and wear them out

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 10:03 PM

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Cheers Mick, and yes I am not a fan of the drilled/dimpled rotors either, prefer just slotted. I will however as yous say clean them up and wear them out
    I actually saw the advert for those brakes Rod,

I think you were very brave going to that suburb!

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    I actually saw the advert for those brakes Rod,

I think you were very brave going to that suburb!
    Your not wrong Ed, is certainly a different world out there, having worked out North for the past 12 years I certainly would not want to live there.

Trying to work out which Safebrake braided line kit to order. I assume the hoses will be different to the standard hoses, but not sure which of the HSV kits suit these calipers, are they C5 or C6? Confusing.

Trying to work out which Safebrake braided line kit to order. I assume the hoses will be different to the standard hoses, but not sure which of the HSV kits suit these calipers, are they C5 or C6? Confusing.
    Hey Rod the C5/C6 hoses on the pbr style calipers are the same & will interchange no problem.

The calipers and rotors came up ok with a good clean and polish. Used Micks suggestion and got stuck in with a wire brush on the rotors, then some VHT brake paint to tidy up the black bits. Going off what you can see in the photos do you reckon I will get away with not machining them? They are a little pitted, but no grooving or scoring that I can see, and will be reinstalled with the same pads as they are near new by the look of them.

Also contacted Safebrake and they are making me up a VU SS Ute braided line kit with the correct hoses for the bigger front calipers and standard rear.

Also got a Tint a Car voucher for xmas so it goes in on the 7th for 5 percent tint on the back window and 20 percent on the side windows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Update. Spoke with Geoff at Ultratune last Thursday and he is not confident that they will fit under 17 inch wheels I will be taking them in some time later next week and he is going to trial fit one of the front rotors and calipers and we will go from there. Bit of a bummer if they don't, but I knew the risk when I bought them so can't really complain. I most certainly will not be changing wheels to make them fit though, so might be a set of brakes going cheap with braided lines next week lol.

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 16-04-2024 @ 10:03 PM

Best of luck with it Rod, for your sake I hope I am wrong but I think he is correct.

Update. Spoke with Geoff at Ultratune last Thursday and he is not confident that they will fit under 17 inch wheels I will be taking them in some time later next week and he is going to trial fit one of the front rotors and calipers and we will go from there. Bit of a bummer if they don't, but I knew the risk when I bought them so can't really complain. I most certainly will not be changing wheels to make them fit though, so might be a set of brakes going cheap with braided lines next week lol.
    Hey Rod I can confirm the 330 fronts will not clear a 17" rim, rears no problem.
    I have fitted VE 18" centre bored rims to my Crewie to overcome this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Hey Rod I can confirm the 330 fronts will not clear a 17" rim, rears no problem.
    I have fitted VE 18" centre bored rims to my Crewie to overcome this issue.
    Thanks Mick, so what fouls, is it the Caliper? For what it is worth the bloke that sold them to me reckons he had them under 17's and they just cleared by a bees dick. He told me this after I had purchased them and saw that I had 17's on the ute. I am hanging on to slight hope that my rims are special lol.

Thanks Mick, so what fouls, is it the Caliper? For what it is worth the bloke that sold them to me reckons he had them under 17's and they just cleared by a bees dick. He told me this after I had purchased them and saw that I had 17's on the ute. I am hanging on to slight hope that my rims are special lol.
    Rod The Caliper, though I was running VZ SS 17" oem rims, perhaps a different offset a/m rim may clear dunno? I know the VZ SS 2006 320mm PBR caliper/disc will clear the 17" rim no problem.

Thread Information