Thread: VF GTSR washer filler tube leaking?..How to fix?

Pickles is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 08:19 AM

VF GTSR washer filler tube leaking?..How to fix?

Filled up my washer bottle yesterday (or tried to) and lots of water appeared under the front left of car, so obviously something is leaking.
    I've heard it is the filler tube. Does it crack or break at the bend etc, or does it come adrift from the top of the bottle?
    I realize this is a common issue, it's been around since VE when an improved tube was supposedly fitted, so I would've thought that by VF11 the problem would be fixed, but apparently not.
    So, on the supercharged VF LSA, is this the same part, or do the supercharged cars use a different/later filler tube?
    Has anyone done this fix?...some say front bumper has to come off, some say it can be accessed via removing front left inner guard, or the lower undertray, & some say just remove airbox cover & one can "just" get enough access to push on new tube from the bonnet area without removing anything else.
    Not too keen on having bumper removed, but if there's no choice, I guess it'll have to be.
    This will be a warranty issue, but I was just interested to see if anyone else had experienced this & how it was resolved, because there seems to be a few opinions,...I'm just looking for the simplest!
    Thanks, Pickles.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Re: VF GTSR washer filler tube leaking?..How to fix?

Hi Martin Have noticed with both our current VF2's should you be overzealous with topping up washer fluid it will leak out! Also our previous VE Calais V did the same thing so I reckon there is no problem really.

Pickles is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 08:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Hi Martin Have noticed with both our current VF2's should you be overzealous with topping up washer fluid it will leak out! Also our previous VE Calais V did the same thing so I reckon there is no problem really.
    That is very good info.....but it should it really do that,.....if the tube is properly watertight that shouldn't happen,....have you ever found out where it overflows from?
    So what do you do, just keep filling up until it overflows?
    I was thinking that if the bottle still fills up with fluid & just leaks at the neck when full (as yours may be doing?) that would be ok, as there would always be fluid in the bottle, but if my tube has come adrift or fracrured...then the bottle may not be able to be refilled?
    Thanks for your feedback, Martin.

Martin all ours floods out behind the front bar, not exactly where though, never taken this to task with GM, as a matter of fact aside the first service my SSV has never been serviced by a dealership only by me 8 oil changes in 4+years.

Smitty is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 28-03-2024 @ 07:59 PM

Martin...

have had some issues along these lines with my GenF R8 Clubbie.

Early days, hose out kept coming off the bottle, PITA to replace.. wheel off. wheel liner off
    but fixed now... stainless steel lock wire wrapped around push on join and twisted off.

then earlier this year, the washer stopped working. Bottle full and I could hear the
    pump going (just). Turns out there is a join in the washer tube behind the RH drivers headlight.
    Turned the washers on .. it blew the hose off and emptied the bottle on the ground and
    none on the screen.

Tracked it down, found the blown apart joint and lock wired it too... no issues since
    SMITTY
    Member PIARC HSCCV Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Martin...

have had some issues along these lines with my GenF R8 Clubbie.

Early days, hose out kept coming off the bottle, PITA to replace.. wheel off. wheel liner off
    but fixed now... stainless steel lock wire wrapped around push on join and twisted off.

then earlier this year, the washer stopped working. Bottle full and I could hear the
    pump going (just). Turns out there is a join in the washer tube behind the RH drivers headlight.
    Turned the washers on .. it blew the hose off and emptied the bottle on the ground and
    none on the screen.

Tracked it down, found the blown apart joint and lock wired it too... no issues since
    G'Day Smitty, thanks for your info, I might have to get you to fix mine.....interestingly you got to yours without taking the front bumper off,...the thought of which frightens me being done by someone who's never done it before!
    Interestingly Micks has the same issue, his floods on the ground like mine does, but obviously water still gets into the bottle, but maybe overflows at a loose point,...where tube joins reservoir, so water is still getting into the tank from the filler. I'd be happy with that, as long as I could still fill the bottle up.
    Some have had split tubes, some where tube has come adrift from the bottle, hard to know which I suppose without being able to see the hose which is virtually impossible with a GTSR!
    For someone like me who's mechanically hopeless, it's all a bit of a worry.
    Thanks for your info, Martin.

Martin I also find if you don't overfill there is really no problem. I check mine & top up if necessary each time I fuel up & that is all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Martin I also find if you don't overfill there is really no problem. I check mine & top up if necessary each time I fuel up & that is all good.
    I would like that to be the case, and if it was, I'd be happy, but how do you know how much water reaches the reservoir, & from where is the fluid escaping,...could be a minor leak, of maybe the inlet pipe has slipped off its mountings, fractured etc, as has happened in some cases. Trouble is, without being able to see what is causing the problem, one doesn't know whether its major or minor, but several GTSR owners have had the problem, particularly with the LSA engine where the intercooler fittings etc causes the inlet pipe to be stretched somewhat, where it is connected to the bottle. HSV actually have a fix for it, but are the parts available??!! We shall see.
    One thing I don't want to have to happen is for the bumper to have to come off, but as Smitty has said, it can be accessed via the LHS inner guard.
    Is this doing my head in?....Absolutely.
    Regards, Martin.

Tre-Cool is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 27-08-2023 @ 12:01 AM

as someone who has pulled the washer bottles off plenty of times. they have a overflow hose on them.

so if you fill them up too much you will get puddle of water.
    It's happened before, It will all happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    as someone who has pulled the washer bottles off plenty of times. they have a overflow hose on them.

so if you fill them up too much you will get puddle of water.
    Thank you VERY MUCH for giving me this info.
    Mick has said the same thing that He gets a puddle under his car, and that had eased my mind, so thanks to both you & Mick.
    It was going to be fairly complicated to get to it, and so your info & Mick's is very comforting.
    Thanks, Pickles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Thank you VERY MUCH for giving me this info.
    Mick has said the same thing that He gets a puddle under his car, and that had eased my mind, so thanks to both you & Mick.
    It was going to be fairly complicated to get to it, and so your info & Mick's is very comforting.
    Thanks, Pickles.
    Always a pleasure Martin

Thread Information