Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skottys VF Calais V. and dark side

skotty is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 15-01-2021 @ 07:05 PM

Skottys VF Calais V. and dark side

Hey guys

Though I'd introduce myself and my cars.. Only recently bought my first Holden after years of having fords. Always had a thing for VF's and I had recently talked a couple of mates out of buying FG Falcons and into VF's so I though well it's probably time I take some of my own medicine, jumped on car sales and though I'd have a look at VF SS/SSV wagons and really wanted either a Reagal Peacock or Alchmey purple car. I didn't know that Alchmey wasn't made in the SS so that sucked, and I wasn't going to pay 30k for a 130,000km ex family car SSV wagon I found at the time.. So I changed my search to Calais just to see what was out (Hey it was only fitting since my previous cars had been Fairmonts and Fairlanes) and that's where I found my car on my first search..

Introducing my 2014 VF Calais V 6ltr V8 Wagon in Alchmey Purple.

I was a little unsure about buying it as it was impulsive decision, and the car was 3,300ish kmh away - at Clarkson Hyundai in Clarkson WA and I had never spend anymore than 6k on buying a car before and I was buying this sight unseen which is generally a big no no. But I figured what the hell YOLO so a few phone calls were made to the dealer and they were more than happy to organise freight for it (of course they were it was a 30k sale!). The sales manager who I spoke to gave me the typical its a nice car to drive story and what not and said it was his drive car which must of been true as when they got it is had 72,xxx kms on it, and when I got it, it was just shy of 76,xxx. A few days later I was sent these pics of it where it was looking sharp getting loaded up onto a car carrier for its 4 truck and 1 train journey to Mount Gambier, SA.

Then 5 days later I had a phone call saying that the car was ready for collection at my local depot, I was stoaked so rushed down there to pick it up and my first drive of it was to the Vehicle inspection station to get its checks for SA rego, was a little sad with how it looked when it got here - like shit but that was expected after the trip it had to get here and the weather conditions at the time! It was still love at first sight!

So I was happy as a pig in shit with it, have a mate who works at a holden dealer so the first thing I done was get him to get me blanking claps for the roof gutter trims so I could remove the horrid roof racks also a genuine set of VF Series 2 R8 Tourer tail lights.

After that I had 20% ceramic tint done all round which I am happy with, its not as dark as some of the pictures make it look but its still not bad!

Future plans for the VF? Well thats really just look after it and keep it stock, after years of modified cars it's nice to have a "boring" stock car, maybe I am getting old? I have people telling me do a exhaust but my BF Turbo which had a exhaust would annoy the shit out of me on the high way and I put that back to stock. Plus with the DOD it will drone and sound like arse, about 90% of my driving is cruise set at 100/110..

it's a hard colour to get to pop and look grouse in photos, this is the only pic I have of it look mint and the trailer wrecks it!

Thats it on my Calais.. Here my other car which might not be too welcome but hey, we are all car people! 2005 BA MK2 Fairlane Ghia, which has a pretty stout 375rwkw on 98oct fuel and 417rwkw on E85 tuned by Blue Power Racing Developments in Melbourne. This whip has a engine freshen up with spool H beam rods, F6 pistons, head studs, oil pump gears, valve springs, gen1 GTX3582 turbo, ZF 6spd auto conversion, GJ Driveline 1000hp tailshaft, plazmaman 1200hp cooler, FG intake and all the other decent quailty falcon parts.. Bit of a sleeper! If people wanna know more about my real true love I will go into it, I mean the VF is nice but the old fairlane is the pride of the fleet!

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 12:02 PM

Re: Skottys VF Calais V. and dark side

Looking great Scott, welcome to the forum.

I obviously know your work & style of things from the Ford forums, great to see you here!

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 01:26 PM

Nice cars all of them mate. Geez removing those roof racks totally transformed the look of the Calais Wagon, they looked horrible.

Smitty is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 09:13 PM

.. welcome to here!

ps.. luv wagons had more than I can count over the years
    but yeah bit biased
    SMITTY
    Member PIARC HSCCV Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

skotty is offline Has Not Contributed to the Forum Last Online: 15-01-2021 @ 07:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Nice cars all of them mate. Geez removing those roof racks totally transformed the look of the Calais Wagon, they looked horrible.
    Thanks mate, I think the roof rack gone, clubby tail lights, and the tint job all pull it together pretty well to be a good looking whip, alltho may be slightly biased here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    .. welcome to here!

ps.. luv wagons had more than I can count over the years
    but yeah bit biased
    Always like the look of the VE VF wagon aye! Thanks for the welcome mate!

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Nice cars all of them mate.
    Geez removing those roof racks totally transformed the look of the Calais Wagon,
    they looked horrible.
    Yeah, that made it look heaps better.

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 12:49 AM

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Alchemy is an awesome colour - love it!!!

I assume there is at least one photo from the other comments but for some reason I can't see it on my pc. Will try later on my tablet.

Smitty is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 09:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by skotty View Post

Always like the look of the VE VF wagon aye!
    ditto me...
    have had 4 of them, 2 x SSv wagons (pictured below at changeover from SI to SII) , 1 x E3 after
    I moved to HSV (was a bargain deal I could not ignore) and now the GenF. All with manual trans too...

SMITTY

Hey guys

Here my other car which might not be too welcome but hey, we are all car people! 2005 BA MK2 Fairlane Ghia, which has a pretty stout 375rwkw on 98oct fuel and 417rwkw on E85 tuned by Blue Power Racing Developments in Melbourne. This whip has a engine freshen up with spool H beam rods, F6 pistons, head studs, oil pump gears, valve springs, gen1 GTX3582 turbo, ZF 6spd auto conversion, GJ Driveline 1000hp tailshaft, plazmaman 1200hp cooler, FG intake and all the other decent quailty falcon parts.. Bit of a sleeper! If people wanna know more about my real true love I will go into it, I mean the VF is nice but the old fairlane is the pride of the fleet!

That thing is a beast!

I like the sleepers.

How much boost are you running Scotty?
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 06-10-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 12:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
    Congrats and welcome to the forum. Alchemy is an awesome colour - love it!!!

I assume there is at least one photo from the other comments but for some reason I can't see it on my pc. Will try later on my tablet.
    Can see on tablet - looks awesome!

The Ghia looks an awesome sleeper!

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post
    That thing is a beast!

I like the sleepers.

How much boost are you running Scotty?
    16.5psi on 98 - held back because stock pistons and 98 oct being a dirty fuel, and 21psi on e85. Car should of made closer to 450rwkw on e85 but it had a leaning out issue which has since been sorted.. battery cable was too long with the battery in the boot and how the cable crossed the floor to the other side of the car.. and a bit of a shitty earth.. Had starting issues where it would act like it had a flatt battery and the AC wouldn't work half the time.. Took almost 2m out of the cable legenth total and a rivnut in the boot for dedicated earth and doesnt have them problems anymore, so I do want to take it in for a retune to see what protential it has but on the other hand don't want to spend $1,600 on a PCMTEC flex tune on a 15yo car.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonky View Post
    Can see on tablet - looks awesome!

The Ghia looks an awesome sleeper!
    Thanks fella, its only just came out the shed from a 5 1/2 month sleep.. It's funny it's worth half as much as my calais but honestly, I do enjoy driving it more than I do the calais, maybe because I've built it ground up myself and have history with it? But I also like the power it has I guess, and to be honest the VF will wont come close to that sort of power without 10+ thrown at it at a guess, and im not prepared to do that to a car again (dont ask how much the lane owes me in mods!)

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    ditto me...
    have had 4 of them, 2 x SSv wagons (pictured below at changeover from SI to SII) , 1 x E3 after
    I moved to HSV (was a bargain deal I could not ignore) and now the GenF. All with manual trans too...

Damn, you've had a good fleet over the years! The latest one sounds like she would be a gem! It's hard to keep the VF stock when I see some of the mods people are doing to them!

Modding a car is like a box of chocolates.

It is much easier to not open the box rather than opening a box with the intention of only eating one.

So often when you start with the intention of doing only one small mod it is only the start of something much bigger.
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 06-10-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Damn, you've had a good fleet over the years! The latest one sounds like she would be a gem! It's hard to keep the VF stock when I see some of the mods people are doing to them!
    well.. it all started in 1978, a year after commencing with GMH
    I got a promotion and the offer of a company car.

Choice... ? HZ Premier wagon with 308/M21 4 speed combo, twin exhaust
    Sports instruments, sports GTS wheels leccy windows etc etc in Atlantis Blue
    continued that on since... last count the GenF is No.12

have had a few 'specials' since... like VC Commodore 'L' wagon... N10 twin exhaust
    tinted windows, 5.0/M21 combo, 3.36 HD diff with 4 wheel disk brakes (pictured)

bought my missus a VH Vacationer wagon, nice interior + added
    sports instruments, HD suspension with a 253/M20 drivetrain
    etc

and stock???
    with a manual trans and SV340 R8 Tourer, who wants more? enough for the
    street and towing the race car around the countryside

mind you, have a mate with a Maloo, just making silly mumbo.
    last year on the dyno, made over 700rwkw (727 from memory)

just nuts... note he does manage a tyre store
    Last edited by Smitty; 06-10-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    SMITTY

I have been looking at VCM OTR's for the VF, I was in a mates VF SS a few weeks ago which was stock with a VCM OTR and the induction noise sounded great.. I'm still considering it but I know it will be all down hill from there!

Any pics or a thread for the R8 smitty?

If you do buy a VCM OTR, particularly if second hand, check which version it is. I think there are 3 now (or maybe only 2) and the first 2 (if 3) or one (if 2) had serious issues. I do believe VCM were replacing early ones no charge but just be aware.

Thread Information