Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Caprice WN II starter motors failing too often?

skip100 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 05-08-2021 @ 10:20 AM

Caprice WN II starter motors failing too often?

My MY17 Caprice has done 210,000km, and has had the starter motor replaced THREE times, and I think it now needs another one. Any ideas why they keep failing?
    I dropped into MyCar today - they said that the starter motor is situated too close to the big hot V8, and this could be why they are failing so often. Opinions?
    I am a hire car driver, so yes, the engine does get started frequently, but this is my third Caprice (second V8), and I've never had the starter motors fail as often as this before.
    Assuming it is the starter motor again, it has only done 27,000km since it was last replaced, so will still be under warranty. It has not yet failed to start, but it's very sluggish.
    I notice that when the starter motor is replaced, the starting is very strong initially, but it doesn't take long at all before the starting becomes somewhat weaker. (I notice the decline in only a matter of weeks)

If I'm going to have to keep replacing starter motors, are there any aftermarket ones that are worth considering?

Is it possible to improve the heat shielding somehow?

R8HSVHRT is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 08:05 PM

Re: Caprice WN II starter motors failing too often?

Are these the genuien starters that are failing ?

skip100 is offline Occasional Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 05-08-2021 @ 10:20 AM

Yes. Note that another symptom is that it will "click" the first time, without turning over at all, but will start the second time. My understanding is that when this happens, it's the solenoid.
    The current starter motor has not exhibited that symptom yet.
    I have purchased the aftermarket one, and am waiting as long as I can before I install it. Still no starting failures, but it often doesn't sound healthy. (sometimes it DOES sound healthy though)

R8HSVHRT is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 27-03-2024 @ 08:05 PM

Have you checked the battery as that could be the issue this time round ,,, as far as the aftermarket starter dont see how they could be any better

Yes - the battery has been checked, but I'll have it checked again, just before we install the new starter.
    I don't expect the aftermarket one to be any better, but I'm crossing my fingers the cost over time will be less, because they are significantly cheaper. I.e - even if they are a bit WORSE, I'd still be better off.

CLUBRED is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 28-09-2021 @ 09:02 AM

Dealer told me the last few production runs Holden cheaped out on components where they could, when my battery exploded in my '17 they said i was lucky it lasted as long as it did (it wasn't even an ACDelco).

Just replaced the starter motor with the aforementioned cheap one from eBay, just 48,000km after it had been fitted. The mechanic said my battery is fine. It never actually failed to start, but sometimes was just too sluggish for comfort. It'll be interesting to see how long this one will last.

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2024 @ 08:47 PM

Is your OEM starter "Heat Shield" re-installed with your new aftermarket starter?

Lots of lazy ass mechanics don't refit them.

It will help prolong the life of the starter motor.

Dunno - I'll get them to check when this one needs replacing, probably in about a year. 😀

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by skip100 View Post
    The mechanic said my battery is fine. It never actually failed to start, but sometimes was just too sluggish for comfort. It'll be interesting to see how long this one will last.
    I'd be interested to know how he tested it. Over my many long years with cars I've had a few instances when a battery tested as fine but in actual fact wasn't. Only one reliable way to test - reasonably recent addition to the market. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8sUE9XCgA

I called today's mechanic - he said there was no heat shield. Booked in at the dealer this Thursday. Stay tuned!

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 22-02-2024 @ 08:47 PM

Quote Originally Posted by skip100 View Post
    I called today's mechanic - he said there was no heat shield. Booked in at the dealer this Thursday. Stay tuned!

When I bought my VZ 6.0L Thunder ute 2nd hand, it had DiFilippo headers already installed and guess what... no OEM starter heat shield fitted......

Who ever installed the headers was too lazy... to re-install the heat shield.

When my starter died from excessive heat, I bought a brand new OEM starter from Holden, and I also bought a brand new OEM starter heat shield for it too, which was still available at the time, only about $30.

So fitted the new OEM starter & OEM heat shield myself and it clears the DiFilippo headers which are quite close to the starter solenoid.

So far the new OEM starter with the correct OEM heat shield fitted, has done just over 100,000 + Kms with zero starting issues.

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

I found fitting an aftermarket starter to my 6L that the original oem heat shield would not suit/fit properly around this unit hence I left it off. So far 3 1/2 years later with 1-7/8 pipes no problems.

The heat shield IS actually missing, but unfortunately the intermittent sluggish starting has returned already, so I don't think this is the problem. (unless the new SM has degraded VERY rapidly due to heat, which I doubt)
    So as some of you suspected, the needle of suspicion is on the battery now.
    One little thing I notice - watching the voltage as I drive, it's often hovering at around 12.1 - 12.3V. Is it normal for the BMS to allow it to get that low? I took two measurements with the engine off but accessories on (i.e long press of ignition button) - on one occasion it read 11.9V, and the other 12.2V. This is using the dash readout.
    Just after the SM was replaced, it started very well indeed, so I assumed that this was the problem, but not to be.
    I have the heatshield ready to be fitted, and I also have the SM that was removed, in case we want to switch back to it.
    Next step might be simply to replace the battery though.
    What is the minimum acceptable voltage across the SM during cranking?
    What is the expected voltage drop from the battery (which resides in the boot), to the SM?
    Other than the connections, is there anything else in the electrical path that could have an intermittently excessive resistance?

Wonky is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-01-2024 @ 01:35 PM

If you have any questions over the battery there's only one reliable method of checking it IMO and most garages don't have them. One reliable method - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi8sUE9XCgA

Thread Information