Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JC’s SV8

jc_sv8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 02:30 PM

JC’s SV8

My baby is turning 18 next month and deserves a birthday.

The intention was to sell her off and buy a ‘17 Redline. Today they want crazy money so that idea has come and gone. There is nothing out there that excites me so along with the birthday, she needs an overhaul as she’s now mine for life.

Given that she’s only got 158k on the clock and still running on original equipment (original clutch, shocks, springs, wheels etc) and now has a couple of oil leaks from original seals, it’s time to get it all done.

One of my mates does fantastic services so will be looking after the new clutch, oil leaks and depending on finances a top end overhaul with a cam.

Another mate of mine is setting up a spray booth at home.
    He’s had a panel shop for 30 years and now peddles paint for PPG, and wants to do project work at home.

So panel & paint, oil leaks, new clutch - tick.

Another thing I was looking at was dynamat.
    Has anyone done this with a VY?
    Doors, boot, full cabin, how many sq metres?

Photo’s of the 18th coming on 23 Jan.

Pickles is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 10:16 AM

Re: JC’s SV8

Quote Originally Posted by jc_sv8 View Post
    My baby is turning 18 next month and deserves a birthday.

The intention was to sell her off and buy a ‘17 Redline. Today they want crazy money so that idea has come and gone. There is nothing out there that excites me so along with the birthday, she needs an overhaul as she’s now mine for life.

Given that she’s only got 158k on the clock and still running on original equipment (original clutch, shocks, springs, wheels etc) and now has a couple of oil leaks from original seals, it’s time to get it all done.

One of my mates does fantastic services so will be looking after the new clutch, oil leaks and depending on finances a top end overhaul with a cam.

Another mate of mine is setting up a spray booth at home.
    He’s had a panel shop for 30 years and now peddles paint for PPG, and wants to do project work at home.

So panel & paint, oil leaks, new clutch - tick.

Another thing I was looking at was dynamat.
    Has anyone done this with a VY?
    Doors, boot, full cabin, how many sq metres?

Photo’s of the 18th coming on 23 Jan.
    Keeping a classic in good shape is always good news AFAIAC. Looking forward to pics & updates.
    Pickles.

whitels1ss is online now Powertrain Control Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 05:23 AM

I still have a 1999 VTII SS as a toy, it's a little bit of a sleeper but it's very clean & original looking.
    Far out, don't really think about it much but the old gal is 21.

It's funny if I go into a cruise meet when people comment about how clean the old car is.

Mine is reasonably quick as well with quite a few modifications done over my many years of ownership.

I can't see any point in getting rid of it.

Enjoy yours JC,
    Look forward to seeing some pictures of the birthday party.

GORGAR 1 is offline Rarely Contributes to the Forum Last Online: 04-02-2023 @ 08:34 PM

Great idea Keep the progress updates coming
    Last edited by whitels1ss; 20-12-2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason: removed phone signature & sent member PM explaining forum ruling on this.

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 03:37 PM

Yes, please keep us in the loop with photos and updates

And as for the dynamat, I am not sure how much is needed as I had my VT and VE done professionally, but hell did it make a difference in refinement, especially in the VT2.

I still have my VZ clubbie.

Extremely glad I still have it, 113, xxx K's. Its just about to become 15 years old (8+ years of ownership) which is as old as my 1st car ( a 1978 UC torana ) was in 1993.... when I 1st got my license..
    Last edited by Angeldust; 26-12-2020 at 07:06 PM.

jc_sv8 is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 02:30 PM

So a little update. My mate is still fafing around with his booth and now won't be ready until May. My car is 6th in line.

In the meantime I'm working on getting the oil leaks repaired. 18 year old seals don't seal like they used to. I'm thinking it's going to be engine out for the rear main. While it's out a new clutch. Any recommendations? Go factory, or the LS7 replacement? It doesn't get abused so don't need anything heavy duty and the last one lasted 18 years, sooo...

Finally got around to putting the sound deadener in (see the other thread). Went with Underdog and it's good stuff. 1 roll did all 4 doors. $49 well spent.
    The new stereo is finally in. I went with Kenwood. Nothing exotic, just a decent head unit with CD (coz I'm old school) and 4x55W mosfet amp built in and new 6" 300W door speakers.
    Sounds good too!

Any way a quick photo of the head unit going in, what a nightmare with having to remove all that trim...

It's all back together and now I need to trim up the new double-din faceplate as it's not a great fit yet.

Sounds great, head unit looks great!

She's in...

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by jc_sv8 View Post
    She's in...

Looks very neat,

BLACK 346 is offline One of the Top Contributors to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 03:37 PM

Looks good, nice little upgrade. You need to track down a satin silver gear knob and hand brake cover, I reckon it would brighten up the interior a bit. And some new mats lol

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 346 View Post
    Looks good, nice little upgrade. You need to track down a satin silver gear knob and hand brake cover, I reckon it would brighten up the interior a bit. And some new mats lol
    Rod the satin shifters are getting rare & very exxy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Micks View Post
    Rod the satin shifters are getting rare & very exxy too.
    Yes I can imagine. They were a dime a dozen a few years back.

Any updates JC?

I’ve got it booked in for seals and clutch.
    My mate had his booth pulled out from under him so now on the search for a closed door respray.

Going to look at springs/shocks/bushes after the last post.

Thread Information