Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool Rides - Part 5

Micks is offline Permanently Banned Last Online: 19-12-2021 @ 07:11 AM

Re: Cool Rides - Part 5

whitels1ss is offline Powertrain Control Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 12:02 PM

Pickles is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 10:02 AM

Quote Originally Posted by SASLS1 View Post

That looks like a very fast mini, I wonder what powers it?
    A friend of mine in the 70s had Australia's fastest Mini, He won heaps of races. He at one stage toyed with the idea of replacing the BMC "A" Series engine with a Lotus Twin Cam engine, still over the gearbox as a unitary unit, but never got around to it.
    Pickles.

Smitty is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 09:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    A friend of mine in the 70s had Australia's fastest Mini, He won heaps of races. He at one stage toyed with the idea of replacing the BMC "A" Series engine with a Lotus Twin Cam engine, still over the gearbox as a unitary unit, but never got around to it.
    Pickles.
    I know a guy (who turns up for various sprint events each year) who fitted (somehow) an ex-Moffat Sierra turbo race engine in ... a 1975 Honda Civic
    The race organisers always send him out to embarrass the GT3 Porsches... he passes them with ease up the back straight at Sandown, no problem.

ps... this little silver thing is road registered
    SMITTY
    Member PIARC HSCCV Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

SASLS1 is offline Forum Contributor Last Online: 10-04-2024 @ 12:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Pickles.
    Do you have any pics of your friends "Australia's fastest Mini" you could share?

This is all I've found out about this Rotel Porsche powered Mini so far.

Quote below.

"Perhaps the most extreme Mini-based racing car ever made was this tubular-framed ‘silhouette’ Super Saloon built at the behest of Tore Helle’s ambitious Rotel equipe. That said, there wasn’t much actual Mini within.

The car was mapped out by prolific pen-for-hire Len Terry. With a CV that included the Indy 500-conquering Lotus 38, not to mention the sublime Eagle-Weslake Grand Prix car, this was an oddball project, to put it mildly.

Helle had previously commissioned Terry to design the Viking Formula Three car, before changing tack and asking him to draw a spaceframe chassis for a Mini packing – cue disbelief – a Porsche 935 flat-six engine sited amidships.

The car appeared in early 1978 and was raced sporadically in Sweden into 1979, mostly with young charger Conny Ljungfeldt at the wheel. Its subsequent fate remains a mystery, however."

This is the only other pic I have found of this Porsche powered mini, this pics shows a different design rear flare and a number change to # 4.

amckiwi is offline Fair Contributor to the Forums Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 09:00 PM

I have seen this at the Beach Hop in New Zealand it is road registered

It is a P76 Powered Mini ute

Last edited by whitels1ss; 08-01-2021 at 05:38 PM. Reason: embedded video
    Red Hot M6 VE SS Ute. Curves yes please on my women and my road.

Pickles is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 19-04-2024 @ 10:02 AM

Quote Originally Posted by SASLS1 View Post
    Do you have any pics of your friends "Australia's fastest Mini" you could share?

This is all I've found out about this Rotel Porsche powered Mini so far.

Quote below.

"Perhaps the most extreme Mini-based racing car ever made was this tubular-framed ‘silhouette’ Super Saloon built at the behest of Tore Helle’s ambitious Rotel equipe. That said, there wasn’t much actual Mini within.

The car was mapped out by prolific pen-for-hire Len Terry. With a CV that included the Indy 500-conquering Lotus 38, not to mention the sublime Eagle-Weslake Grand Prix car, this was an oddball project, to put it mildly.

Helle had previously commissioned Terry to design the Viking Formula Three car, before changing tack and asking him to draw a spaceframe chassis for a Mini packing – cue disbelief – a Porsche 935 flat-six engine sited amidships.

The car appeared in early 1978 and was raced sporadically in Sweden into 1979, mostly with young charger Conny Ljungfeldt at the wheel. Its subsequent fate remains a mystery, however."

This is the only other pic I have found of this Porsche powered mini, this pics shows a different design rear flare and a number change to # 4.

Alan Mini.jpg

I've found some stuff on the web, there's some stuff about Alan,..I hope this pic uploads!ut, his name is Alan Braszell, one of the founding members of the Australian Sports Sedan Association. You'll note the print re breaking lap records etc!
    Alan was sponsored by Mini World, (sold Minis in Elizabeth St) His mini had things like F5000 brakes cross flow head etc etc.
    Pickles.
    Last edited by Pickles; 09-01-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Couldn't edit my post for some reason, but if you go on the web, you'll see some stuff about Alan "Braz". You'll note the wording in the above re breaking lap records etc.
    I went with him to all the Victorian Circuits, Hume Weir, Winton, Phillip Island, Calder, Sandown etc. Race meetings were normally two days, practice on Saturday, race on Sunday. Satiurday nights were always good, go to the Pub etc with the other guys, really great times,........unless there was a problem with the car, in which case, no Pub, we'd be working all hours to fix it!!
    Pickles.

136813633_421882365904788_7307877207591703689_n.jpg
    .................................................. .

Smitty is offline Substantial Contributor to the Forum Last Online: 18-04-2024 @ 09:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by whitels1ss View Post

... 'John Harvey's 'brainwave (even down to the naming of it!)
    and
    the rest...as they say is history
    SMITTY
    Member PIARC HSCCV Old Fart Racing
    GEN-F R8 340 Clubsport Tourer VK race car Kwaka ZX12R

Thread Information